CRM 3.0 - Remote user connectivity thru Cisco VPN Client

Is anyone using the Cisco VPN Client to connect remote CRM users either with
the IE and/or the Outlook Client interface.
Are there any performance issues over broadband, ??? Also, what are the
recommended bandwidths both ends???

Some travelling field staff need to connect remotely thru dial up
connections (56k) - (ie. Remote location has no broadband available)
How does this option perform, ???
    a) Online thru IE7 Interface
    b) Online thru Outlook Client Interface
    c) Syncronising the Outlook Client image with the Master CRM 3.0
Database
    Is this a feasible option ????
TIA

0
Graham
8/10/2007 4:48:33 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

I'm using the Cisco VPN client for remote sessions from Germany to the US
and it works without problems. However I have a fast DSL line.
A 56k line will be slow, no matter what VPN client you use. Though IE caches
images and include files, there still is a lot of data being sent from the
server and 56k in my opinion is not suitable at all for online work. It may
be better to let the traveling users work in offline mode most of the time
and have them synchronize their changes.

--
Michael H�hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP

Web: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2
Feed: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/atom.aspx
Custom Lookup Dialog: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/?area=customLookup
The JavaScript Snippets Directory:
http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=JS13

"Graham Smith" <graham_smith@sbstech.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Is anyone using the Cisco VPN Client to connect remote CRM users either
> with the IE and/or the Outlook Client interface.
> Are there any performance issues over broadband, ??? Also, what are the
> recommended bandwidths both ends???
>
> Some travelling field staff need to connect remotely thru dial up
> connections (56k) - (ie. Remote location has no broadband available)
> How does this option perform, ???
>    a) Online thru IE7 Interface
>    b) Online thru Outlook Client Interface
>    c) Syncronising the Outlook Client image with the Master CRM 3.0
> Database
>    Is this a feasible option ????
> TIA

0
Michael
8/10/2007 9:46:11 AM

DSL bandwidth availibility varies by country/telcos, what ADSL bandwidth do
you consider fast. Australia currently has ADSL(up to 256/1500) and ADSL+2
(384/8000) available over copper.
thanks

"Michael H�hne" <michael.hoehne@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> I'm using the Cisco VPN client for remote sessions from Germany to the US
> and it works without problems. However I have a fast DSL line.
> A 56k line will be slow, no matter what VPN client you use. Though IE
> caches images and include files, there still is a lot of data being sent
> from the server and 56k in my opinion is not suitable at all for online
> work. It may be better to let the traveling users work in offline mode
> most of the time and have them synchronize their changes.
>
> --
> Michael H�hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
>
> Web: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2
> Feed: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/atom.aspx
> Custom Lookup Dialog: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/?area=customLookup
> The JavaScript Snippets Directory:
> http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=JS13

> "Graham Smith" <graham_smith@sbstech.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Is anyone using the Cisco VPN Client to connect remote CRM users either
>> with the IE and/or the Outlook Client interface.
>> Are there any performance issues over broadband, ??? Also, what are the
>> recommended bandwidths both ends???
>>
>> Some travelling field staff need to connect remotely thru dial up
>> connections (56k) - (ie. Remote location has no broadband available)
>> How does this option perform, ???
>>    a) Online thru IE7 Interface
>>    b) Online thru Outlook Client Interface
>>    c) Syncronising the Outlook Client image with the Master CRM 3.0
>> Database
>>    Is this a feasible option ????
>> TIA

0
Graham
8/10/2007 10:17:57 AM
I have 384/16000 (may be 512 upstream not quite sure). I can use a CRM
server in the internet (without VPN) and it works quite well, though still
noticeable slower than a LAN connection. IE seems somewhat limited to about
400-500KB per second, so I cannot make use of the full bandwidth, while
other FTP programs can and give me up to 2MB/sec. I'm pretty sure that
256/1500 will work fine.

If your traveling users only need access to specific parts of CRM, a mobile
client may be an option as well.

--

> DSL bandwidth availibility varies by country/telcos, what ADSL bandwidth
> do you consider fast. Australia currently has ADSL(up to 256/1500) and
> ADSL+2 (384/8000) available over copper.
> thanks
>
> "Michael H�hne" <michael.hoehne@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> I'm using the Cisco VPN client for remote sessions from Germany to the US
>> and it works without problems. However I have a fast DSL line.
>> A 56k line will be slow, no matter what VPN client you use. Though IE
>> caches images and include files, there still is a lot of data being sent
>> from the server and 56k in my opinion is not suitable at all for online
>> work. It may be better to let the traveling users work in offline mode
>> most of the time and have them synchronize their changes.
>>
>> --
>> Michael H�hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
>>
>> Web: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2
>> Feed: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/atom.aspx
>> Custom Lookup Dialog: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/?area=customLookup
>> The JavaScript Snippets Directory:
>> http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=JS13

>> "Graham Smith" <graham_smith@sbstech.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> Is anyone using the Cisco VPN Client to connect remote CRM users either
>>> with the IE and/or the Outlook Client interface.
>>> Are there any performance issues over broadband, ??? Also, what are the
>>> recommended bandwidths both ends???
>>>
>>> Some travelling field staff need to connect remotely thru dial up
>>> connections (56k) - (ie. Remote location has no broadband available)
>>> How does this option perform, ???
>>>    a) Online thru IE7 Interface
>>>    b) Online thru Outlook Client Interface
>>>    c) Syncronising the Outlook Client image with the Master CRM 3.0
>>> Database
>>>    Is this a feasible option ????
>>> TIA

0
Michael

CRM email router 04-04-04
I have the crm server,exchange and email router installed on one machine But it's not clear to me how the email router should function if i create an email activity in crm and send the mail to another crm user, everything seems to work fine, an activity is created in crm with a GUID and a mail is received on the recipients side When i reply to this mail (using simply outlook), nothing happens? Should the router not intercept this (my CRMEmailEnabled flag is set correctly), is this because i'm sending messages between two crm users? or because i'm not using the sales client for ou...

Message Options (Delayed Emails) #3
Hi all, I have a user on my network who uses the Message Options often to delay emails in the Outbox to a specific time. The problem is only with this user. Users OS is 2000 Pro/Office XP (Outlook 2002) and is not working offline. Server is Exchange server 5.5 LDAP not POP3. (For example, the user can write an email at 1pm and click send and the email will sit in the Outbox until the specified time the user has set in the Message Options dialog box.) The problem is that sometimes the messages work and sometimes they dont. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks. ...

Create mail-enabled users in bulk
I have several hundred users I need to create in my Active Directory organization. I need to make them MAIL-enabled users (NOT MAILBOX-enabled users). I can't find anything that allows me to bulk create the users and give them the Exchange attributes necessary to define their email addresses on the foreign mail system. Obviously, I can do it manually, but who wants to do that for 400 user accounts? Anyone know of a way to do this? I've got the user data and email addresses in a spreadsheet...just can't quite get it all into AD. Help!! Thanks, dave That is doable with a VB...

Messagebox default reply for WinCE 6.0 R2
Hi, I have a short question regarding WinCE6.0 R2: Is there such a thing similar to the "messagebox default reply" registry setting exisiting in XP embedded? Described e.g. here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms940850(WinEmbedded.5).aspx or here: http://www.ms-emb.com/stone/?p=116 Or is there a way to avoid completely that messageboxes from the OS can pop up - e.g. if an application has crashed I see a message box with "XYZ has encounered an error and must be closed" - Can this behaviour be completely disabled? Best Regards and thanks in a...

Problem with GetIpAddrTable for ADHOC connection
With wlanapi.h I connect automatically a PC and a embedded systems which have a wireless connection. The 2 systems are connected in adhoc and the IP address is static. After I want to get the IP adress of the embedded systems. So I use GetIpAddrTable to get the address, but it doesn't work. In MIB_IPADDRROW table it finds 2 entries which are fill with crap. I want to get 192.168.0.1 and it gives me something like 013542. Does somebody have an idea to resolve my problem? Thank you Mathieu Code : PMIB_IPADDRTABLE pIPAddrTable; DWORD dwSize = 0; pIPAddrTable = (MIB_IPADDRTABLE*) m...

Resume document (*.doc) parsing to MS CRM database
Hi all, If I would like to reduce entry resume's data (name, address, work experience, skill set etc )from resume document (Word, PDF file) by once I open Word document, then system will auto take each content and put in the right field in MS CRM Form so that end-users have resume information before they can change / modify later. My question is how can I do this ? Do I need third party resume parsing software ? Or If I want to create my own parser, how complicated or concerning things I have to consider. I don't have experience about reading or parsing other documents before...

Error Installing SQL jobs during installation of CRM 4.0 trail ver
While trying to install SQL jobs during installation of CRM 4.0 trail version i get an error message. Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallConfigDatabaseAction failed. Invalid user name.Failed to validate username for given domain.only existing domain usernames and email addresses are allowed Invalid user name.Failed to validate username for given domain.only existing domain usernames and email addresses are allowed can anyone help me solve out this issue ? ...

Default Recipient Policy not propogating to user accounts
Hi, i wonder if anyone can help me please? Our exchange guru has recently left our organisation and i'm trying to pick up where she left off with a particular client of ours. The situation is this:- We're migrating this client from their existing old, cr@p, mail system to Exchange 2003 on AD 2003. AD's up and running fine, as is Exchange 2003 (SP2). Both mail servers on the same LAN. Email is currently routing from external to their old mail system, which the clients access via POP. The migration process is such that when we attend site we'll tell their old mail system to ...

How to connect existing calendar/contacts to new Outlook profile
My old Outlook profile was from Outlook 2002 (which has a limit to the size of the data file, which I was exceeding). When I exceeded the limit it would not allow me to send/receive email. Now I have Outlook 2003, but I was having the same problem. So I created a new profile & imported the data from my old pst file. However, it did not bring over my contacts or calendar items. How can I get these into my new profile? I can see them in my Outlook if I also open my old pst data file, but when I try to sync my cell phone, it syncs the new calendar/contacts which is empty. Altern...

connections
I'm in the Internet Mail settings, exchange 5.5, trying to block one specific IP address- what do I put for the subnet mask? It won't let you just leave it blank. Put in all 255s. -Peter "dlw" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1c08301c42197$0649e1a0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I'm in the Internet Mail settings, exchange 5.5, trying to > block one specific IP address- what do I put for the > subnet mask? It won't let you just leave it blank. ...

Can somebody tell me how to create uomschedules and UOM By CRM SDK
I can not use the following code to do this. Can somebody tell me how to do this? thanks! crmsdk.CreateRequest create = new crmsdk.CreateRequest(); crmsdk.TargetCreateUoM target = new crmsdk.TargetCreateUoM(); crmsdk.uom myuom = new crmsdk.uom(); // crmsdk.uomschedule myuomschedule = new opportunityrelationship.crmsdk.uomschedule(); myuom.name = name1; myuom.quantity = new opportunityrelationship.crmsdk.CrmDecimal(); myuom.quantity.Value = Convert.ToDecimal(1)...

Excel help #3
Hi, Two questions. First is, when performing a Pivot Table, is there a way of changing the source so that when you produce a pivot table, the months are in order. And, when you concatenate and join a surname and first name together, how do you then separate them ? Thanks "Gary Newman" <gary.newman@adecco.co.uk> wrote in message news:09f501c39882$44084930$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Two questions. > First is, when performing a Pivot Table, is there a way of > changing the source so that when you produce a pivot > table, the months are in order. > &g...

Urgent
Hi, We're migrating the end-user reporting from MS Access to SQL Server. However, we face a problem that our users have built a very large no. of queries/reports on MS Access. We expect it would take months to migrate to the new platform. We anticipate at the changeover time, some queries are still not yet migrated. So, we need to have a method to stop user from buiding new queries in MS Access but allowing use of existing ones. Now, they are using ODBC accont to connect from MS Access to Oracle database. And, each time they run /build a query, they would need t...

Move CRM 3.0 from default web site to virtual directory
Hi, I would like to move the current CRM 3.0 installation from the default website to a virtual directory. Is this possible? I would like to be able to access the CRM system by using http://portal.mycompany.com/crm. The reason is that I would like to install a certificate for portal.mycompany.com. There are a few other apps that I would like to publish on this server and then I will only need one certificate. The second app would be accessible through http://portal.mycompany.com/app2. Any help would be appreciated. Regards, Ren=E9 ...

Importing from Filemaker Pro 5.0
I am in the process of converting a Filemaker Pro=20 database to Excel 2000. When I export a field in=20 Filemaker with hard returns in it, the result is this=20 little "arrow symbol" (see 4 examples below). =20 Plate of ocean water=0BPlate of HELO=0BBG Plate of Sky=0B (Note: Possible Night Sky Backing)=0B I can't do a Find/Replace because Excel doesn't recognize=20 this symbol. Any clues how to easily delete them, and=20 insert a hard return instead within one cell(alt/enter)? =20 I tried exporting to html first and then converting to=20 excel, but it created a new row...

Named Arguments in VC OCXs for VB clients
Hi, I have got a VC++ 6 OCX and lots of Visual Basic 6 clients using it. Originally, the OCX was written in VB, too. Thus, the clients could (and do) use named arguments in calls to the OCX like func(12, Arg2:=44) - or however this is precisely in VB... Now that the OCX is written in C++, VB complains that the OCX does not support named arguments. Is there a way to define in the ODL defs that this works? Or is it impossible? Thanks, Frank ...

Migrate from Mas 90 to GP 8.0
We have a few companies that are running Mas 90 and we would like to migrate these companies to GP 8.0. Does anyone know of a Migration Tool? If so, the cost???? Thank You! ...

umIMHrxkBX #3
Your Site Is Great, http://board.talibkweli.com/index.php?showuser=3891 need 5000 loan overnight here, ffq, http://board.talibkweli.com/index.php?showuser=3895 personal loan for poor credit business, 013, http://board.talibkweli.com/index.php?showuser=3893 with no credit check loans, 743894, http://board.talibkweli.com/index.php?showuser=3889 Guaranteed high risk personal loans, nutdki, http://board.talibkweli.com/index.php?showuser=3892 guaranteed online personal loans bad credit, =))), ...

Tracking opens and clickthroughs in CRM
Hello, This is a multipart question that relates to CRM as well as general computer/internet knowledge... I send out flyers designed in correlDraw and other desktop publishing software. My first question is can I send a mass mailing to selected leads and customers from CRM with the flyer EMBEDDED in the email, not as an attachment? If its possible how is this accomplished? Secondly, there are many services out there that allow you to design an html flyer and send it out via the web using their email (www.constantcontact.com). Once the flyer is sent out they can track how many pe...

Problems with Window in Dialog Owner Draw? #3
I have the following problem. When my app calls HttpOpenRequest() for third time it allways fails. After that each call to HttpOpenRequest() fails. After several fails, even COM doesn't work (each try to create any object fails). It seems that I am running out of resources, handles or memory (because of memory leaks)? How can I check what exactly is wrong? Can I use Windows Task manager? How? What is the maximum number of handles per one executable? You can use Task Manager to check for resource usage. You can look in the Output window to see a list of memory leaks when your debug pr...

CRM SQL error
When I try to open CRM I get this error message: Cannot open database "metabase" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'. Any help to resolve this issue would be appreciated. Thanks, -Rick Some ideas: Was it working ok before? Other users have the same issue? or All users? Same error if running on the CRM Server? SQL Server? Anything changed on the SQL Server, AD setting? Network setting? Try a reboot of the SQL/CRM Servers? Frank Lee, Microsoft CRM MVP Workopia, Inc. http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com &quo...

SUMPRODUCT help #3
Help please I'm trying to count the number on items sold on a particular month using SUMPRODUCT but I'm getting the wrong answer This is what I use for each month (Feburary) for this example: =SUMPRODUCT((MONTH($L$2:$L$5973)=2)*(YEAR($L$2:$L$5973)=2007)*($U$2:$U$5973=$A4)) The item is in A4 the date is in column L and in Column U are all the mixed items. I have checked the date format and its ok. Can any one help please? Thanks josa Odd. I would begin by testing each part of the formula. For example: 1) =SUMPRODUCT((MONTH($L$2:$L$5973)=2)) 2) =SUMPRODUCT((YEAR($L$2:$L$5973)=200...

Footer date format #3
How do I change the date format for my excel worksheet footers? Hi "imran", Change your Regional Date format in your system Control Settings. Or use a macro http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/pathname.htm#modify --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Imran" <Imran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1187E71-49C7-4DA1-9456-912FFEB92B2C@microsoft.com... > How do I change the d...

Multiple connections
I have a work connection and a dial up connection for when I am on the road. I have set my work connection as defualt e-mail account. However, regardless, the account seems to check both accounts every time I send. How do I maintain the account information in Outlook without it checking/sending the other account unless I do something? ...

cannot create appointment after upgrading from 3.0 to 4.0
We just upgrade to 4.0. I did lot of test and today I told my employe to start using it. During my test I miss somthing. Now everytime time we try to create an appointment, we receive this error message : Error An error has occurred Try this action. If the problem continues, check the microsoft dynamics crm community for solutions or contact your organization's microsoft dynamics CRM Administrator. Finally, you can contact microsoft support. I remember in our CRM 3.0, we did 1 and only 1 customization. It was to change the default duration of an appointement or a task. I am...