CRM 3.0 Problem Adding License - "a server license has already been added"

I am trying to add a NEW license to an existing 10U CRM 3.0 Pro server
installation.  I got that key from our MSDN subscription.  We are a Gold
Certified partner.

However, the License Manager has DELETE and UPGRADE licenses both grayed out
and I cannot add any new licenses.  Each time I try, I get the error "a
server license has already been added".

I can't even delete the existing license to add a new one.

I have tried closing all client connections and disabling the server and
that too makes no difference.

I have also tried to register, assuming that these options may be grayed out
till I'm registered.  When I try to run the registration wizard I get the
error "registration is disabled for your current product key type".

I reviewed the (updated) "help" file and all it does is tell me to do what
I've already done.

What am I doing wrong here?  Surely Microsoft hasn't poisoned the channel by
issuing MSDN licenses that require you to nuke your entire database and
re-install once you're ready to install a production license - or have they?

Thanks - Daniel

0
Daniel
2/6/2006 12:06:02 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Well, not quite sure "poisoned" is the right term, but I'm afraid the
problem is accurate.  Technically, the MSDN license is NOT upgradeable in
this manner.  Turns out there is language in the EULA about this.  I'm not
quite sure the rationale behind this, but I have gotten around it with the
following procedure:

- Uninstall CRM
- Delete the MSDN license row from the License table
- Reinstall using the existing DB and the new licence key

Technically, this is an unsupported approach, but I have not hit any issues
with it.

--

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

"Daniel" <nospam_no@no.com> wrote in message
[...]

Matt
2/6/2006 5:26:10 PM
Thank you Matt.

"Matt Parks" <mattp65@Yax_RemoveDashAndX_xhoo.com> wrote in message
> Well, not quite sure "poisoned" is the right term, but I'm afraid the
> problem is accurate.  Technically, the MSDN license is NOT upgradeable in
> this manner.  Turns out there is language in the EULA about this.  I'm not
> quite sure the rationale behind this, but I have gotten around it with the
> following procedure:
>
> - Uninstall CRM
> - Delete the MSDN license row from the License table
> - Reinstall using the existing DB and the new licence key
>
> Technically, this is an unsupported approach, but I have not hit any
> issues
> with it.
>
> --
>
> Matt Parks
> MVP - Microsoft CRM
>

> "Daniel" <nospam_no@no.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to add a NEW license to an existing 10U CRM 3.0 Pro server
> installation.  I got that key from our MSDN subscription.  We are a Gold
> Certified partner.
>
> However, the License Manager has DELETE and UPGRADE licenses both grayed
> out
> and I cannot add any new licenses.  Each time I try, I get the error "a
> server license has already been added".
>
> I can't even delete the existing license to add a new one.
>
> I have tried closing all client connections and disabling the server and
> that too makes no difference.
>
> I have also tried to register, assuming that these options may be grayed
> out
> till I'm registered.  When I try to run the registration wizard I get the
> error "registration is disabled for your current product key type".
>
> I reviewed the (updated) "help" file and all it does is tell me to do what
> I've already done.
>
> What am I doing wrong here?  Surely Microsoft hasn't poisoned the channel
> by
> issuing MSDN licenses that require you to nuke your entire database and
> re-install once you're ready to install a production license - or have
> they?
>
> Thanks - Daniel

0
Daniel
2/7/2006 6:11:30 AM
I too am a gold partner that installed the MSDN version and now am trying to
install the 100-user version. I followed you simple instructures BUT when
reinstalling it reports "The existing databases are not compatible with this
installation of CRM."

Is there a little trick to make this go? If not, how do I migrate all my
settings (users, activities, opportunities, cases, etc.) to the new database?

"Matt Parks" wrote:

> Well, not quite sure "poisoned" is the right term, but I'm afraid the
> problem is accurate.  Technically, the MSDN license is NOT upgradeable in
> this manner.  Turns out there is language in the EULA about this.  I'm not
> quite sure the rationale behind this, but I have gotten around it with the
> following procedure:
>
> - Uninstall CRM
> - Delete the MSDN license row from the License table
> - Reinstall using the existing DB and the new licence key
>
> Technically, this is an unsupported approach, but I have not hit any issues
> with it.
>
> --
>
> Matt Parks
> MVP - Microsoft CRM
>

> "Daniel" <nospam_no@no.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to add a NEW license to an existing 10U CRM 3.0 Pro server
> installation.  I got that key from our MSDN subscription.  We are a Gold
> Certified partner.
>
> However, the License Manager has DELETE and UPGRADE licenses both grayed out
> and I cannot add any new licenses.  Each time I try, I get the error "a
> server license has already been added".
>
> I can't even delete the existing license to add a new one.
>
> I have tried closing all client connections and disabling the server and
> that too makes no difference.
>
> I have also tried to register, assuming that these options may be grayed out
> till I'm registered.  When I try to run the registration wizard I get the
> error "registration is disabled for your current product key type".
>
> I reviewed the (updated) "help" file and all it does is tell me to do what
> I've already done.
>
> What am I doing wrong here?  Surely Microsoft hasn't poisoned the channel by
> issuing MSDN licenses that require you to nuke your entire database and
> re-install once you're ready to install a production license - or have they?
>
> Thanks - Daniel

John,

It could be that the trick works, but that you are not on the same database
level...

Can you check in the MSCRM database in the BuildVersion table what your
Major, Minor, Build and Revision numbers are?

There have been 3 releases of the MSDN version (3.0.5300.0, 3.0.5300.1 and
3.0.5300.2).
It could be that you try to install a newer version then the installed
database version.

If you reset the numbers in the database to 3.0.5300.0 and use the CD's from
your Action Pack, it should work.

--
Erik van Hoof
CWR Mobility

"John Gilkey" <JohnGilkey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I too am a gold partner that installed the MSDN version and now am trying
> install the 100-user version. I followed you simple instructures BUT when
> reinstalling it reports "The existing databases are not compatible with
> this
> installation of CRM."
>
> Is there a little trick to make this go? If not, how do I migrate all my
> settings (users, activities, opportunities, cases, etc.) to the new
> database?
>

> "Matt Parks" wrote:
>
>> Well, not quite sure "poisoned" is the right term, but I'm afraid the
>> problem is accurate.  Technically, the MSDN license is NOT upgradeable in
>> this manner.  Turns out there is language in the EULA about this.  I'm
>> not
>> quite sure the rationale behind this, but I have gotten around it with
>> the
>> following procedure:
>>
>> - Uninstall CRM
>> - Delete the MSDN license row from the License table
>> - Reinstall using the existing DB and the new licence key
>>
>> Technically, this is an unsupported approach, but I have not hit any
>> issues
>> with it.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Matt Parks
>> MVP - Microsoft CRM
>>

>> "Daniel" <nospam_no@no.com> wrote in message
>> I am trying to add a NEW license to an existing 10U CRM 3.0 Pro server
>> installation.  I got that key from our MSDN subscription.  We are a Gold
>> Certified partner.
>>
>> However, the License Manager has DELETE and UPGRADE licenses both grayed
>> out
>> and I cannot add any new licenses.  Each time I try, I get the error "a
>> server license has already been added".
>>
>> I can't even delete the existing license to add a new one.
>>
>> I have tried closing all client connections and disabling the server and
>> that too makes no difference.
>>
>> I have also tried to register, assuming that these options may be grayed
>> out
>> till I'm registered.  When I try to run the registration wizard I get the
>> error "registration is disabled for your current product key type".
>>
>> I reviewed the (updated) "help" file and all it does is tell me to do
>> what
>> I've already done.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong here?  Surely Microsoft hasn't poisoned the channel
>> by
>> issuing MSDN licenses that require you to nuke your entire database and
>> re-install once you're ready to install a production license - or have
>> they?
>>
>> Thanks - Daniel

0
Erik
5/3/2006 2:38:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but the existing database was 3.0.5300.0.

"Erik van Hoof (CWR Mobility)" wrote:

> [...]
> >> server license has already been added".
> >>
> >> I can't even delete the existing license to add a new one.
> >>
> >> I have tried closing all client connections and disabling the server and
> >> that too makes no difference.
> >>
> >> I have also tried to register, assuming that these options may be grayed
> >> out
> >> till I'm registered.  When I try to run the registration wizard I get the
> >> error "registration is disabled for your current product key type".
> >>
> >> I reviewed the (updated) "help" file and all it does is tell me to do
> >> what
> >> I've already done.
> >>
> >> What am I doing wrong here?  Surely Microsoft hasn't poisoned the channel
> >> by
> >> issuing MSDN licenses that require you to nuke your entire database and
> >> re-install once you're ready to install a production license - or have

John,

I ran into the same problem. The trick is to remove the Report db's
(Report and ReportTemp) and let CRM reinstall the SRS.

HTH

Fred@ Travi@ta

0
Fred
5/4/2006 6:23:45 PM
No go. I removed the two reporting services databases but still get the
message "The existing databases are not compatible with this installation of
Microsoft CRM."

"Fred" wrote:

> John,
>
> I ran into the same problem. The trick is to remove the Report db's
> (Report and ReportTemp) and let CRM reinstall the SRS.
>
> HTH
>
> Fred@ Travi@ta

Hi, I ran into the same problem (I also installed CRM using a msdn
license, and we are also Gold Partner and wanted to use the 100 user
license). I'm using sql 2005. The following solution worked for me

I first backed up the SQL Database
Next I removed CRM from Add/Remove Programs
after removing CRM I restarted the Server.
After restarting I ran the CRM install, filled in the new license when
asked, named the Organizationname exactly the same as the one before. I
connected to the existing SQL Database (the old one) which is still
available in SQL Server after removing CRM. After the new install CRM
works wonderfull well, even Users, onChange events and so on are
available again.

(maybe you've already tried it this way, but maybe you just forget one
step, or maybe you did one step different..)

Regards, Dirk Fraanje

0
dirkfraanje
5/17/2006 4:49:32 PM
Dirk,

I followed your solution and I thank you for it. It appears that Microsoft
in Europe is not aware of the problem.

Worthwhile to point out that one has to run the same version of software
that it was installed originally (MSDN in my case) with the new key.

Because if you run the installation rwith the proper Microsoft Licensing CD,
one will get error about different version in the database.

Therefore one can only wonder if the CRM Mobile will work while using the
MSDN version of the software with the proper licence keys....  My bet is that
it wont work.

Thus, I have to install the -proper- CRM again in a new machine and the
question is how do I migrate all my data and customization to the new system.
Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

Dimitris.

"dirkfraanje@hotmail.com" wrote:

> Hi, I ran into the same problem (I also installed CRM using a msdn
> license, and we are also Gold Partner and wanted to use the 100 user
> license). I'm using sql 2005. The following solution worked for me
>
> I first backed up the SQL Database
> Next I removed CRM from Add/Remove Programs
> after removing CRM I restarted the Server.
> After restarting I ran the CRM install, filled in the new license when
> asked, named the Organizationname exactly the same as the one before. I
> connected to the existing SQL Database (the old one) which is still
> available in SQL Server after removing CRM. After the new install CRM
> works wonderfull well, even Users, onChange events and so on are
> available again.
>
> (maybe you've already tried it this way, but maybe you just forget one
> step, or maybe you did one step different..)
>
> Regards, Dirk Fraanje

Dimitris, when you say "Worthwhile to point out that one has to run the same
version of software that it was installed originally (MSDN in my case) with
the new key"....are you saying that we should use the media CD from MSDN to
run the installation program, but use the Product Key from ActionPack?

"Dimitris" wrote:

> Dirk,
>
> I followed your solution and I thank you for it. It appears that Microsoft
> in Europe is not aware of the problem.
>
> Worthwhile to point out that one has to run the same version of software
> that it was installed originally (MSDN in my case) with the new key.
>
> Because if you run the installation rwith the proper Microsoft Licensing CD,
> one will get error about different version in the database.
>
> Therefore one can only wonder if the CRM Mobile will work while using the
> MSDN version of the software with the proper licence keys....  My bet is that
> it wont work.
>
> Thus, I have to install the -proper- CRM again in a new machine and the
> question is how do I migrate all my data and customization to the new system.
> Any hints will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Dimitris.
>

> "dirkfraanje@hotmail.com" wrote:
>
> > Hi, I ran into the same problem (I also installed CRM using a msdn
> > license, and we are also Gold Partner and wanted to use the 100 user
> > license). I'm using sql 2005. The following solution worked for me
> >
> > I first backed up the SQL Database
> > Next I removed CRM from Add/Remove Programs
> > after removing CRM I restarted the Server.
> > After restarting I ran the CRM install, filled in the new license when
> > asked, named the Organizationname exactly the same as the one before. I
> > connected to the existing SQL Database (the old one) which is still
> > available in SQL Server after removing CRM. After the new install CRM
> > works wonderfull well, even Users, onChange events and so on are
> > available again.
> >
> > (maybe you've already tried it this way, but maybe you just forget one
> > step, or maybe you did one step different..)
> >
> > Regards, Dirk Fraanje

Yes, I meant that I used the MSDN version with the keys provided from the
paid product and I now have the programmed licenced.

However, the revision 0 of CRM that MSDN had, has a few limitations (cannot
install mobile clients etc) and I have put a case to microsoft to provide me
with the proper path to the product we paid.

When I get their response I will post it here.

Dimitris.

Apologies for the delay in my response.... post submission is not working
from my window mobile 5 browser.
"nickh" wrote:

> Dimitris, when you say "Worthwhile to point out that one has to run the same
> version of software that it was installed originally (MSDN in my case) with
> the new key"....are you saying that we should use the media CD from MSDN to
> run the installation program, but use the Product Key from ActionPack?
>
> "Dimitris" wrote:
>
> > Dirk,
> >
> > I followed your solution and I thank you for it. It appears that Microsoft
> > in Europe is not aware of the problem.
> >
> > Worthwhile to point out that one has to run the same version of software
> > that it was installed originally (MSDN in my case) with the new key.
> >
> > Because if you run the installation rwith the proper Microsoft Licensing CD,
> > one will get error about different version in the database.
> >
> > Therefore one can only wonder if the CRM Mobile will work while using the
> > MSDN version of the software with the proper licence keys....  My bet is that
> > it wont work.
> >
> > Thus, I have to install the -proper- CRM again in a new machine and the
> > question is how do I migrate all my data and customization to the new system.
> > Any hints will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Dimitris.
> >

> > "dirkfraanje@hotmail.com" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, I ran into the same problem (I also installed CRM using a msdn
> > > license, and we are also Gold Partner and wanted to use the 100 user
> > > license). I'm using sql 2005. The following solution worked for me
> > >
> > > I first backed up the SQL Database
> > > Next I removed CRM from Add/Remove Programs
> > > after removing CRM I restarted the Server.
> > > After restarting I ran the CRM install, filled in the new license when
> > > asked, named the Organizationname exactly the same as the one before. I
> > > connected to the existing SQL Database (the old one) which is still
> > > available in SQL Server after removing CRM. After the new install CRM
> > > works wonderfull well, even Users, onChange events and so on are
> > > available again.
> > >
> > > (maybe you've already tried it this way, but maybe you just forget one
> > > step, or maybe you did one step different..)
> > >
> > > Regards, Dirk Fraanje

CRM 3.0 Problem Adding License
I am trying to add a NEW license to an existing 10U CRM 3.0 Pro server installation. I got that key from our MSDN subscription. We are a Gold Certified partner. However, the License Manager has DELETE and UPGRADE licenses both grayed out and I cannot add any new licenses. Each time I try, I get the error "a server license has already been added". I can't even delete the existing license to add a new one. I have tried closing all client connections and disabling the server and that too makes no difference. I have also tried to register, assuming that these options may ...