CRM 3.0 - Anyone tried upgrading SQL to 2005?

CRM 3.0, SQL 2000 SP4, Windows 2003 SP1

We upgraded our CRM to 3.0 back in January and now I am thinking of
upgrading the SQL Server to SQL 2005.  Has anyone gone through this, either
successfully or unsuccessfully?  I'm having trouble finding info online as to
whether this is a good or bad idea.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

--
thanks,
-Jeff

We have Crm 3.0 running with an Sql 2005 server and Sql 2005 reporting
service for over 6 months without any problems.
We upgraded our 1.2 install without problems.

--
Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD)
Lead Developer

"Jefffff" wrote:

> CRM 3.0, SQL 2000 SP4, Windows 2003 SP1
>
> We upgraded our CRM to 3.0 back in January and now I am thinking of
> upgrading the SQL Server to SQL 2005.  Has anyone gone through this, either
> successfully or unsuccessfully?  I'm having trouble finding info online as to
> whether this is a good or bad idea.
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
> --
> thanks,
> -Jeff
Well, tried to upgrade SQL this morning.  The reporting services upgrade
failed.  Everything else went fine.  I can still use the reports in CRM, even
though it is using the SQL 2000 reporting services against SQL 2005 (even the
rep serv database is in SQL 2005).  My understanding was that SQL 2000
Reporting Services was not compatible with SQL 2005 Database Server, but that
seems to be false in my case.

I still need to get Reporting Services to upgrade somehow.  I get this
strange error message:

"Setup has encountered an unexpected error while Setting report service and
share point exclusion path.  The error is: Fatal error during installation."

What I find strange is that I don't have sharepoint installed on this
server.  I also noticed that Reporting Services is adding a new website.  The
2000 Reporting Servcies (which I did select to upgrade) is using a virtual
directory in the default website (which is the CRM website) and was installed
by the CRM 3.0 upgrade back in January.  That default website is using port
80.  I noticed that the new website that the reporting services upgrade has
created is also trying to use port 80 and is in the stopped state (possibly
because it is trying to use a port that is in use and without a host header).
 This new website disappears when the upgrade rolls back after I click Cancel
on the error (choices are Retry and Cancel).

At this point, I'm wondering if a better option is to install a new instance
of Reporting Services 2005 on this server in parallel and import the reports
into it (is there some way to just load them all from CRM - possibly by
re-running CRM setup?) but I don't know if I can change the default location
for reports in CRM.

Help.

--
thanks,
-Jeff

"Jefffff" wrote:

> CRM 3.0, SQL 2000 SP4, Windows 2003 SP1
>
> We upgraded our CRM to 3.0 back in January and now I am thinking of
> upgrading the SQL Server to SQL 2005.  Has anyone gone through this, either
> successfully or unsuccessfully?  I'm having trouble finding info online as to
> whether this is a good or bad idea.
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
> --
> thanks,
> -Jeff
Jefffff - did you ever find resolution to this issue? If so, could you share?

Thanks!

"Jefffff" wrote:

> Well, tried to upgrade SQL this morning.  The reporting services upgrade
> failed.  Everything else went fine.  I can still use the reports in CRM, even
> though it is using the SQL 2000 reporting services against SQL 2005 (even the
> rep serv database is in SQL 2005).  My understanding was that SQL 2000
> Reporting Services was not compatible with SQL 2005 Database Server, but that
> seems to be false in my case.
>
> I still need to get Reporting Services to upgrade somehow.  I get this
> strange error message:
>
> "Setup has encountered an unexpected error while Setting report service and
> share point exclusion path.  The error is: Fatal error during installation."
>
> What I find strange is that I don't have sharepoint installed on this
> server.  I also noticed that Reporting Services is adding a new website.  The
> 2000 Reporting Servcies (which I did select to upgrade) is using a virtual
> directory in the default website (which is the CRM website) and was installed
> by the CRM 3.0 upgrade back in January.  That default website is using port
> 80.  I noticed that the new website that the reporting services upgrade has
> created is also trying to use port 80 and is in the stopped state (possibly
> because it is trying to use a port that is in use and without a host header).
>  This new website disappears when the upgrade rolls back after I click Cancel
> on the error (choices are Retry and Cancel).
>
> At this point, I'm wondering if a better option is to install a new instance
> of Reporting Services 2005 on this server in parallel and import the reports
> into it (is there some way to just load them all from CRM - possibly by
> re-running CRM setup?) but I don't know if I can change the default location
> for reports in CRM.
>
> Help.
>
> --
> thanks,
> -Jeff
>

> "Jefffff" wrote:
>
> > CRM 3.0, SQL 2000 SP4, Windows 2003 SP1
> >
> > We upgraded our CRM to 3.0 back in January and now I am thinking of
> > upgrading the SQL Server to SQL 2005.  Has anyone gone through this, either
> > successfully or unsuccessfully?  I'm having trouble finding info online as to
> > whether this is a good or bad idea.
> >
> > Any feedback would be appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > thanks,
> > -Jeff
Sorry, I usually do post the solution once I have one, but I guess I forgot.
So did you run into this also?

In my case, we had not yet modified any of the CRM reports, nor had we added
any, so I chose to uninstall SQL Reporting Servcies 2000, install 2005, and
republish the reports.  Below are my steps as I noted for my documentation.

I also later discovered that, because 2005 Reporting Services uses .NET 2.0,
it cannot share an IIS App Pool with any applications that use .NET 1.1.  I
discovered this when, after fixing Reporting Services, my c360 CRM addons
stopped working.  I had to create a new App Pool for Reporting Services to
keep them separate.

1. Uninstall SRS 2000, reboot, delete databases and IIS VDs

2. Install SRS 2005, configure SRS using SRS Configuration Utility

3. At Command Prompt (edit org name and reporting group as per AD):
 "C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\Reports\publishreports.exe"
    "Organization_Name"
    "RR\ReportingGroup {5a75ced4-e04d-44a6-90fa-7b638a5510f5}"
    "NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService"

4. Verify the "RSInstalled" value is set to "0". This key is located within
the \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM hive.

5. Verify the SQLSServerURL in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM hive

6. IISreset

7. Restart SQL Reporting Services service

Good Luck
--
-Jeff

"annh" wrote:

> Jefffff - did you ever find resolution to this issue? If so, could you share?
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Jefffff" wrote:
>
> > Well, tried to upgrade SQL this morning.  The reporting services upgrade
> > failed.  Everything else went fine.  I can still use the reports in CRM, even
> > though it is using the SQL 2000 reporting services against SQL 2005 (even the
> > rep serv database is in SQL 2005).  My understanding was that SQL 2000
> > Reporting Services was not compatible with SQL 2005 Database Server, but that
> > seems to be false in my case.
> >
> > I still need to get Reporting Services to upgrade somehow.  I get this
> > strange error message:
> >
> > "Setup has encountered an unexpected error while Setting report service and
> > share point exclusion path.  The error is: Fatal error during installation."
> >
> > What I find strange is that I don't have sharepoint installed on this
> > server.  I also noticed that Reporting Services is adding a new website.  The
> > 2000 Reporting Servcies (which I did select to upgrade) is using a virtual
> > directory in the default website (which is the CRM website) and was installed
> > by the CRM 3.0 upgrade back in January.  That default website is using port
> > 80.  I noticed that the new website that the reporting services upgrade has
> > created is also trying to use port 80 and is in the stopped state (possibly
> > because it is trying to use a port that is in use and without a host header).
> >  This new website disappears when the upgrade rolls back after I click Cancel
> > on the error (choices are Retry and Cancel).
> >
> > At this point, I'm wondering if a better option is to install a new instance
> > of Reporting Services 2005 on this server in parallel and import the reports
> > into it (is there some way to just load them all from CRM - possibly by
> > re-running CRM setup?) but I don't know if I can change the default location
> > for reports in CRM.
> >
> > Help.
> >
> > --
> > thanks,
> > -Jeff
> >

> > "Jefffff" wrote:
> >
> > > CRM 3.0, SQL 2000 SP4, Windows 2003 SP1
> > >
> > > We upgraded our CRM to 3.0 back in January and now I am thinking of
> > > upgrading the SQL Server to SQL 2005.  Has anyone gone through this, either
> > > successfully or unsuccessfully?  I'm having trouble finding info online as to
> > > whether this is a good or bad idea.
> > >
> > > Any feedback would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > --
> > > thanks,
> > > -Jeff

CRM 3.0 Implementation

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

help need with VC 6.0 IDE and mfc

Leading and trailing spaces trimmed with SQL XML
Hi, I am inserting data into a table using xml bulk insert. One of the field is of string type and contains data with leading and trailing spaces. But on insert the spaces automatically trimmed off. Can you please tell me how to avoid this trimming of spaces, as i have to insert data using xml. EXEC sp_xml_preparedocument @hDoc OUTPUT, @InsertLines INSERT INTO tblLine WITH (TABLOCKX) ([Text]) SELECT [Text] FROM OPENXML (@hDoc, '/Lines/Line', 1) WITH ([Text] nvarchar(max)) EXEC sp_xml_removedocument @hDoc Thank you Frank bad_clone (bad_clone@hotmail.com) writes: ...

Vlookup returns "0"

crm 3.0 error 03-01-06

CRM 3.0 Login Problems

Showing 3:54PM instead of 3:54:03PM

Unable to sort on customer CRM 4.0

Hyperlink problem #3

Outlook Client #3

Rounding Numbers #3

Visual C++ 2005 always rebuilds
I have an MFC DLL project that I recently moved over to Visual Studio 2005. However now the project always rebuilds entirely whenever I start debugging. Even if I have only made a simple change to one file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Colin Check the date on your source files to make sure that they are not in the future. AliR. "Colin J Paterson" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message news:ObtLxgTbGHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > I have an MFC DLL project that I recently moved over to Visual Studio 2005. > However now the project always rebuild...

SetWindowsHookEx #3
Hi there. Could someone explane to me what is the purpose of dwThreadId, the last member of SetWindowsHookEx function? I've expected that this is a thread id with which hooks is associated. That means that hook is getting only messages produced by this particular thread. But it looks like I'm getting system wide messages anyway. so could somone make it clear for me? In fact I need to process a mesages of only one window. I know the thread id of that window. But! this thread is not in my process! And I don't want a real system wide hook because it slows down the box. Ok, I think ...