CRM 1.2 Network Bandwidth usage

Does Microsoft already have a whitepaper for this?

I know this was posted before, but was there a detailed explaination or a
chart-form detailing the usage?

On what structure or term or technology can CRM 1.2 run (acceptable) other
than in an intranet? Can you please expound?

Thanks :)
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

For remote access I believe most customers will opt for a vpn solution so
users in remote locations will open a vpn tunnel across the internet then
launch crm as before.

--
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP

"isalgado" <ian.salgado_remove_this_@gisimplement.com> wrote in message
> Does Microsoft already have a whitepaper for this?
>
> I know this was posted before, but was there a detailed explaination or a
> chart-form detailing the usage?
>
> On what structure or term or technology can CRM 1.2 run (acceptable) other
> than in an intranet? Can you please expound?
>
> Thanks :)

0
John
7/28/2005 4:45:55 PM
Thanks a lot John also for your prompt reply! :)

Other than VPN, is there any other way?

Can you point me to any documentation / site that has
explanation/documentations?

Thanks!

"John O'Donnell" wrote:

> For remote access I believe most customers will opt for a vpn solution so
> users in remote locations will open a vpn tunnel across the internet then
> launch crm as before.
>

> --
> John O'Donnell
> Microsoft CRM MVP
> http://www.mscrmfaq.us
>

> "isalgado" <ian.salgado_remove_this_@gisimplement.com> wrote in message
> > Does Microsoft already have a whitepaper for this?
> >
> > I know this was posted before, but was there a detailed explaination or a
> > chart-form detailing the usage?
> >
> > On what structure or term or technology can CRM 1.2 run (acceptable) other
> > than in an intranet? Can you please expound?
> >
> > Thanks :)

It's also perfectly possible to run the web browser client over a standard
internet connection, as CRM is ultimately just another web application. All
you need is:

- Public IP address that is mapped to the CRM server
- SSL (strictly not necessary, but I wouldn't want the traffic unencrypted)
- Browser that supports Windows Authentication (i.e. Internet Explorer)

"isalgado" wrote:

> Thanks a lot John also for your prompt reply! :)
>
> Other than VPN, is there any other way?
>
> Can you point me to any documentation / site that has
> explanation/documentations?
>
> Thanks!
>

> "John O'Donnell" wrote:
>
> > For remote access I believe most customers will opt for a vpn solution so
> > users in remote locations will open a vpn tunnel across the internet then
> > launch crm as before.
> >

> > --
> > John O'Donnell
> > Microsoft CRM MVP
> > http://www.mscrmfaq.us
> >

> > "isalgado" <ian.salgado_remove_this_@gisimplement.com> wrote in message
> > > Does Microsoft already have a whitepaper for this?
> > >
> > > I know this was posted before, but was there a detailed explaination or a
> > > chart-form detailing the usage?
> > >
> > > On what structure or term or technology can CRM 1.2 run (acceptable) other
> > > than in an intranet? Can you please expound?
> > >
> > > Thanks :)

If it would be on a dial-up connnection (assuming it was a hosted solution),
based on anyone's experience, what is the Bandwidth allocated that IS REALLY
ACCEPTABLE  for clients use? :)

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

"David Jennaway" wrote:

> It's also perfectly possible to run the web browser client over a standard
> internet connection, as CRM is ultimately just another web application. All
> you need is:
>
> - Public IP address that is mapped to the CRM server
> - SSL (strictly not necessary, but I wouldn't want the traffic unencrypted)
> - Browser that supports Windows Authentication (i.e. Internet Explorer)
>

> "isalgado" wrote:
>
> > Thanks a lot John also for your prompt reply! :)
> >
> > Other than VPN, is there any other way?
> >
> > Can you point me to any documentation / site that has
> > explanation/documentations?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > "John O'Donnell" wrote:
> >
> > > For remote access I believe most customers will opt for a vpn solution so
> > > users in remote locations will open a vpn tunnel across the internet then
> > > launch crm as before.
> > >

> > > --
> > > John O'Donnell
> > > Microsoft CRM MVP
> > > http://www.mscrmfaq.us
> > >

> > > "isalgado" <ian.salgado_remove_this_@gisimplement.com> wrote in message

This is my update since no one replied.

From our testing in one of the telecommunications company in our country
(where SBS 2003 CRM 1.2 is installed as a POC/Demo) we set the Internet
connection to 1GB then down to 512MB.  We use DUMeter as a tool to measure
the bandwidth, then connected to the CRM Solution after making it public site.

Most of the time, bandwidth reaches up to 200+ kbps and it usually takes 3-4
seconds to load and it seems not acceptable if in case it would be used in
Call center (service) scenario where clients are waiting. On the average I
think it's between 180-190 kbps usage (Loading of each module)

By the time we tested it, we failed to set the DNS to its right IP and was
pointed to the old IP, so we were having intermittent problem/connection. I
think it would have been faster if it was rectified prior to the test.
Because from our previous tests, a 128 kbps connection was even faster (about
1-2 secs)…

Please do share your test results and hope CRM can provide us a link
(whitepaper) on this. Also please verify if anyone of you have had any
experience.

Thanks.

"isalgado" wrote:

> If it would be on a dial-up connnection (assuming it was a hosted solution),
> based on anyone's experience, what is the Bandwidth allocated that IS REALLY
> ACCEPTABLE  for clients use? :)
>
> Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge and experiences.
>
> "David Jennaway" wrote:
>
> > It's also perfectly possible to run the web browser client over a standard
> > internet connection, as CRM is ultimately just another web application. All
> > you need is:
> >
> > - Public IP address that is mapped to the CRM server
> > - SSL (strictly not necessary, but I wouldn't want the traffic unencrypted)
> > - Browser that supports Windows Authentication (i.e. Internet Explorer)
> >

> > "isalgado" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks a lot John also for your prompt reply! :)
> > >
> > > Other than VPN, is there any other way?
> > >
> > > Can you point me to any documentation / site that has
> > > explanation/documentations?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

CRM 3.0 06-28-06
I've just recently renamed a member server (2003). After updating all SQL factors with the new name, CRM refuses to acknowledge users - Authentication errors. I have verified the SQL 2005 took the name change, IIS has taken the name change...what am I missing? -- DJanel ...

parsing a date and time field #2

Microsoft CRM server is not responding
Hi, Workflow Manager write: The specified Microsoft CRM server is not responding. This might happen if it is currently unavailable, it is not a Microsoft CRM server, or you are not a valid user. Fro more information, contact your system administrator. How fix it? In IE i can logon to CRM. ----- wbr, Eugene I've resolved this problem by restoring the metabase with the original version in IIS Regards Edgard Eugene wrote: > Hi, > > > Workflow Manager write: > > The specified Microsoft CRM server is not responding. This might happen if > it is currently un...

MSCRM 3.0 (How does the user access Microsoft CRM from server)
Hi, I have installed Microsoft CRM 3.0 on Windows Small Biz Server. I am able see Sales, Marketing, Services running on the server. I want to let the respective user to see the UI, how do let them access from their computer. Thanks patric They would enter the URL for the server (http://servername). They may also need the port (by default http://servername:5555). -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "pat" <pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FF870F9-D86C-4947-9118-92696BDF7281@microsoft.com... Hi, I have installed Microsoft CRM 3.0 on Windows Small...

SBS 2008 VPN Network Resources Access Issue
Hi all, in short we have a situation where we have a SBS Server 2008 with VPN turned on. Users granted vpn access can login but cannot access server resources. linksys RV80 router - all the passthrough turned on - TCP Port 1723 forwarded to SBS SBS Server - VPN turned on - Network of 192.168.1.x When connecting from remote, users can establish VPN Connection but cannot access server resources. User's network address is definately different than the network at the office. Eg. 192.168.5.10 Firewall was turned off on the sbs jus to test to see if it is causing pr...

Purchase history and projected usage
Is anyone aware of an add-on or a way to figure projected usage for purchasing? I find the minimum quantity function usueful but many times I have to purchase for a few months and it would be helpful if the system could help estimate required quantity for a specific period. To be really useful and accurate RMS should be able to estimate product requirements for a period, is anyone else running into this? Funny you should write about this. I was just talking to my RMS partner about this the other day. He was going to see what he could come up with for this. I will let you know if i he...

Report CRM 3.0
Hi, I would need to find out the detailed procedure (step by step) to customize a report…. Could anybody inform about any links or documents concerning this issue? Thank's Marco I'm not sure if it's detailed enough, but the technical training manual has a section on creating and customizing reports. You can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/crm/using/whatsnewtechnical.mspx HTH, -- Jeffry van de Vuurst CWR Mobility www.cwrmobility.com -- "Marco Rocca" <Marco Rocca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEF80683-EC26-456C-82C...

Money Central Portfolio #2

macro #2

merging 2 cells without losing data?

Statements #2

Network days
Is it possible to use the network days feature which Excel has in MS Access. If not, how do I count the number of days between two dates, excluding weekends/public holidays etc? Thanks. Take a look in the Date/Time section of "The Access Web". There are a couple of solutions there. http://www.mvps.org/access/ -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "C Tate" <colin@nobodyhere.mrcrtate.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23uwF4$cuHHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to use the network days feat...

CRM 4.0 Custom Report Filter Problem

Macro

Sum amount if = 2 value's

Excel pivot table #2

Limiting CRM application ability to aasigning user to approprite CRM security group
IT administrator that I have for client does not like the idea of CRM application assigning user group automatically. They prefer to do the security group assignment manually. Is this possible? What do I need to do to achieve that? Thanks Kyaw Hi Kyaw, I did it the following way for a customer: 1) You will need to precreate the five groups within your AD. There is no need of having a own OU (Container, Organizational Unit) for them. Follow the naming convention of your company or use the default namings from Microsoft for the five groups. There is no need for your AD Admin to assig...

Outlook Express 6 Spell Check #2
I am using Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, and I have a problem with spell check. When you send an email, it says "spell check has been haulted, do you want to send anyway" and if I ask it to spell check, it says an error has occured in spell check. All my spelling options are correctly set, so I don't know what the problem is. Kimberly McNabb <knmcnabb@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am using Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, and I have a > problem with spell check. Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Database #2
Hi I'm new to Outlook. I hear of an Outlook database in other threads. Is this synonymous with the ..pst or .ost files people mention? Does it corrupt often and if so are there tools to repair it? Regards Craig. There's a utility called ScanPST.EXE that will scan and attempt to repair the file. Yes, typically when a user says Outlook database they're referring to their PST file "Craig Roberts" <craigroberts@jkr.co.uk> wrote in message news:C4C8E141.211DE%craigroberts@jkr.co.uk... > Hi > > I'm new to Outlook. > > I hear of an Outlook d...

unique with 2 columns

Excel number formatting #2

host unreachable #2
hi, if i send a email with a wrong address or mispelled it, i don't get a message that the address, destination is wrong until 4 days later after being deletedj from the outgoi queue im using E5,5 sp4 thks Is that for all domains, even for Yahoo and Hotmail? Rick wrote: > hi, > > if i send a email with a wrong address or mispelled it, i > don't get a message that the address, destination is wrong > until 4 days later after being deletedj from the outgoi > queue > > im using E5,5 sp4 > > thks ...

Cdn Payroll July 1 errors
Since the tax update was installed for July 1 for Canadian Payroll, our Detail Range Reports do not have the proper data. I noticed that CPY30260 has not been updated!!! this is not good. I contacted our vendor to see if this is a known issue. There is a round2 tax update that does not affect our province so I have not installed it. I was waiting for round3 which has not been released yet. Is anyone else aware of this? We have not seen any errors during Update Masters. Our YTD amounts and T4 amounts appear to be correct. thanks. never mind "barbola" wrote: > Since the...

Closing Excel #2
I have inherited an App desigend by an ex employee Sometimes the program leaves Excel in the task manager The programe uses various routines and calling various functions that define Excel sheets etc (badly named) I'm finding it hard to follow (my 1st experince of .NET) is there a way to KILL any Excel instence when exiting the program. I have come across some posts about GC (garbage collection) like this System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(oXLWsheet) oXLWsheet = Nothing 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(oXLWs) oXLWs = Nothing oBook.Clos...