CRM 1.2 - Move SQL databases to new server

I am going to move the CRM SQL databases to a new server.  We will also
be moving Great Plains off the CRM server and on to the new SQL server.
 We are bouncing around the idea of naming the new SQL server to the
name that the current CRM server uses and renaming the current CRM
server.  The thinking here is that we won't have to touch the Great
Plains clients.

What kinds of issues can I expect in this scenario?  I believe that CRM
"might" make us of the SID in which case I would need to use SysPrep to
create the new one?

I wouldn't think that this is that unusal of a project so if anyone
knows of any documents out there that would benefit me, I would
appriciate it.

Thanks!

Scott

0
wisconsinsports
10/13/2005 9:32:45 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

If you have access to partnersource, there is an article on this.

"wisconsinsports@gmail.com" wrote:

> I am going to move the CRM SQL databases to a new server.  We will also
> be moving Great Plains off the CRM server and on to the new SQL server.
>  We are bouncing around the idea of naming the new SQL server to the
> name that the current CRM server uses and renaming the current CRM
> server.  The thinking here is that we won't have to touch the Great
> Plains clients.
>
> What kinds of issues can I expect in this scenario?  I believe that CRM
> "might" make us of the SID in which case I would need to use SysPrep to
> create the new one?
>
> I wouldn't think that this is that unusal of a project so if anyone
> knows of any documents out there that would benefit me, I would
> appriciate it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Scott

check out the CRM Redeployment Tools.

"wisconsinsports@gmail.com" wrote:

> I am going to move the CRM SQL databases to a new server.  We will also
> be moving Great Plains off the CRM server and on to the new SQL server.
>  We are bouncing around the idea of naming the new SQL server to the
> name that the current CRM server uses and renaming the current CRM
> server.  The thinking here is that we won't have to touch the Great
> Plains clients.
>
> What kinds of issues can I expect in this scenario?  I believe that CRM
> "might" make us of the SID in which case I would need to use SysPrep to
> create the new one?
>
> I wouldn't think that this is that unusal of a project so if anyone
> knows of any documents out there that would benefit me, I would
> appriciate it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Scott

The Redeployment Tools are not suitable for relocating databases to new SQL
server in same domain

"chad.buser@ncsi.cc" <chadbuserncsicc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:12A9DEE5-33D9-41CE-ADCB-D8A7EAFDBC52@microsoft.com...
> check out the CRM Redeployment Tools.
>
> "wisconsinsports@gmail.com" wrote:
>
>> I am going to move the CRM SQL databases to a new server.  We will also
>> be moving Great Plains off the CRM server and on to the new SQL server.
>>  We are bouncing around the idea of naming the new SQL server to the
>> name that the current CRM server uses and renaming the current CRM
>> server.  The thinking here is that we won't have to touch the Great
>> Plains clients.
>>
>> What kinds of issues can I expect in this scenario?  I believe that CRM
>> "might" make us of the SID in which case I would need to use SysPrep to
>> create the new one?
>>
>> I wouldn't think that this is that unusal of a project so if anyone
>> knows of any documents out there that would benefit me, I would
>> appriciate it.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Scott

0