Creating aCRM activity from SFO

I want to send an email that will create an activity for a CRM user.

I took an existing e-mail that I had previously sent and clicked on "Promote
to CRM activity."  I thought this would assign the email as an actrivity to
this CRM user.

But when I looked in CRM Workplace, the activity did not show up until I
looked under "Completed Activities."

Why was the e-mail marked as complete?

Maybe  I don't understand the concept. How do I generate an open activity
(something that needs to be followed up on) for a specific user from within
SFO?  Maybe what I really should be assigning is a "task."  I'm so confused.

Here are the details.

I received an email from a client inquiring about services. I respond back
to the client telling them we will get back with them with details.  All of
this was done outside of CRM. Now I want to assign the responsibility to
follow up with this client to a CRM user.  How the user follows up is not
important (fax, phone, email).  What I want to be able to do is 1) track
that the user actually does follow up in a timely manner with the client and
2) be able to tie his action (however he follows up)  to my orginal e-mail
to this client.

Can anyone explain how this process would work using SFO in CRM v1.2?

0
Dave
7/30/2004 8:05:11 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Sent or received emails are marked as complete because it is assumed that
they are. :)  Draft emails are really the only kind of email that isn't
considered "complete".  Without the concept of read/unread, I think the
design goal was to prevent users from having to perform a 'close' action on
each incoming or outgoing email.

I see your point though.  CRM doesn't really allow users to link activities
together.  It was assumed that activities would all be linked to some kind
of parenting record rather than each other.

There are a couple of different ways that you could approach a workaround.
Probably the way that complies best with how the product was designed to be
used would be to create a case or opportunity (depending on what you think
the enquiry will lead to) when the initial email is promoted, and set the
case/opportunity as the Regarding object.  You can then create a task (to be
assigned) and set the case/opp as the Regarding object on it too.  The email
and task would then be linked via the case/opportunity.

If you want something a little more light-weight, you could create the task,
and make sure it is linked to the correct contact, so at least the
originating email and task are linked via the contact.

Side issue: Promoting Sent Items isn't really supported (and will fail in
some cases as all the required information isn't on the object).  You're
supposed to use CRM to send the email in the first place.

"Dave" <davefrick@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> I want to send an email that will create an activity for a CRM user.
>
> I took an existing e-mail that I had previously sent and clicked on
"Promote
> to CRM activity."  I thought this would assign the email as an actrivity
> this CRM user.
>
> But when I looked in CRM Workplace, the activity did not show up until I
> looked under "Completed Activities."
>
> Why was the e-mail marked as complete?
>
> Maybe  I don't understand the concept. How do I generate an open activity
> (something that needs to be followed up on) for a specific user from
within
> SFO?  Maybe what I really should be assigning is a "task."  I'm so
confused.

> Here are the details.
>
> I received an email from a client inquiring about services. I respond back
> to the client telling them we will get back with them with details.  All
of
> this was done outside of CRM. Now I want to assign the responsibility to
> follow up with this client to a CRM user.  How the user follows up is not
> important (fax, phone, email).  What I want to be able to do is 1) track
> that the user actually does follow up in a timely manner with the client
and
> 2) be able to tie his action (however he follows up)  to my orginal e-mail
> to this client.
>
> Can anyone explain how this process would work using SFO in CRM v1.2?

0
Ilana
8/3/2004 3:15:12 AM
Thanks for explaining the concept to me.

Dave

"Ilana Smith" <IlanaSmith@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> confused.
> >
> > Here are the details.
> >
> > I received an email from a client inquiring about services. I respond
back
> > to the client telling them we will get back with them with details.  All
> of
> > this was done outside of CRM. Now I want to assign the responsibility to
> > follow up with this client to a CRM user.  How the user follows up is
not
> > important (fax, phone, email).  What I want to be able to do is 1) track
> > that the user actually does follow up in a timely manner with the client
> and
> > 2) be able to tie his action (however he follows up)  to my orginal
e-mail
> > to this client.
> >
> > Can anyone explain how this process would work using SFO in CRM v1.2?

Can I connect SFO using Outlook over HTTP???? CRM 3.0
I have a small bussiness Server 2003 and I am connected to it though Outlook over the web using http from my Laptop at my home office.. Will CRM work using this method or will it only work onsite here in the office.. This would be great for my sales people with laptops too.. Laptop users will connect using VPN and run the outlook client or work offline using the laptop client. You can also configure CRM to work using the web browser over an SSL enabled connection ========================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/crm/community/micro...

The ActiveX control could not be created
Hello, In the Project Center of PWA 2007 + SP2 and Aug CU, I did: Actions > Export Grid to Excel. But I got the error: "The ActivX control on which this feature depends could not be created. Because of this error, you can only copy the XML data to the clipboard. Do you want to continue?" How/where can I install this ActiveX control? Thanks for your help. Depending on your IE security settings, it should prompt you to install the ActiveX control. Have you set the site as a trusted site within IE? - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.co...

How to create a table to qualify a qty discount in exel
Hi i'm creating a workbook to orginize stock, i'm not sure of how to create a table to give varying degress of discount according to the quatity bought ie: 5 items or less = no discount, 6 to 11 items =2% discount and so on, i have used an if statement so far but i'm not sure how it is meant to work in relation to the products and customers sheets, how does it all work together. Any help & guidence would be much appreciated. You can create yourself a lookup table, and use the vlookup formula. See: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/vlookup_formulas_in_microsoft_exce...

Create Exchange 2007 mailbox
Hi! :) We use a vbscript to create users. Here are the lines of code in the script that creat the user account. The password is also set and some groups added... Set objUser = objUserOU.create("user", "cn=" & strEmpid) objUser.Put "SAMAccountName", strEmpid objUser.Put "givenName", strFirstName objUser.Put "sn", strLastName objUser.Put "displayName", strLastname & " " & strFirstName objUser.AccountExpirationDate = DateAdd("d", 1, CDate(strEndDate)) objUser.Put "userPrincipalName&q...

Creating Groups
Hello, Using Outlook2002, is there a way to create groups so that I can select the group name for a mailing rather than the individual members? I can't figure it out and it seems that years ago you could do that. Thanks for any help and God Bless, Mark A. Sam File > New > Distribution List -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Mark A. Sam" <msam@Plan-It-Earth.Net> wrote in message news:%23Y%23XQ8K5FHA.2092@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Using Outlook2002, is there a way to create groups so that I can select > the > group name for a mailing ra...

how do i create subset and union in XPath Query

How do I create a Bell Curve Graph in Excel
I am trying to create a Bell Curve Graph in Excel but have ground to a halt, I using Excel 9 Fratton, This example at this site should help: http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/charting_a_normal_distribution/ ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "fratton" wrote: > I am trying to create a Bell Curve Graph in Excel but have ground to a halt, > I using Excel 9 See Normal curve http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/index.htm -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Off...

Run Code in General Module Upon Activation of Other Sheets
I have VBA code residing in a general module of a workbook. The outpu from the code updates several sheets in the workbook. I would like t automatically Run the code in the general module if any of thes several sheets are activated (by clicking on the sheet�s tab). How ca I do this? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Steve You can use the folowwing events in the sheet module(not a normal module) Right click on a sheet tab and choose view code. Paste the events in there and press Alt-Q to go back to Excel. You can copy the code in the event or type the macro name ...

Cannot create a key uder HKEY_USERS !
Hi, I want to make a new key under HKEY_USERS. I use RegCreateKeyEx(HKEY_USERS, "Test\\SOFTWARE", 0, NULL, REG_OPTION_NON_VOLATILE, KEY_ALL_ACCESS, NULL, &hKey, &dw); However the function always returns - "The parameter is incorrect." . If I change HKEY_USERS to HKEY_CURRENT_USER the key gets created. I can not add a new key under HKEY_USERS even when I use Regedit.exe . I am testing on a Windows XP professional PC . Can anyone tell me what is wrong? Thanks! HKEY_USERS is restricted to Admins and the OS. I'm betting you do not have sufficient privileg...

Cases containing activitys
Hi all, My situation, All cases are containers for activitys (Or so i think) These activitys, how do i place a date and time stamp in these activitys? Thanks in advance Jefferson Activities are automatically marked with the date/time they are created and also when they are modified. The unfortunate thing is that CRM does not show you these dates/times by default when you view activities associated with an object. However, you can add these columns with an undocumented customization. You will want to change the associated view for activities. You can do this (if you have CRM admin privi...

Creating drop down lists with multiple options?
I am trying in vain to create a drop down list where users can select more than 1 choice. For example, if the choices in a list which i named are as follows: Blue Red Green Yellow Purple How does one have the option to select any of the colors by themselves or any combination of all of them up? For example, if the question is what is your favorite color? How can a user choose Blue OR Red and Blue OR Red, Blue and Green and so on? Any help would be appreciated. That will require multiple cells. One cell will only hold 1 value. Any single cell solutions are going ...

simple xsl for creating aspx page
Hello I know nothing of XSL but was wondering if it was possible to do the following: Given an XML template: <template> <register TagPrefix="whatever" TagName="Template" src="Common/Template.ascx" /> <page language="c#" /> <usercontrol tag="whatever:Template" ID="header" Runat="server" Type="header" /> <form id="form1" method="post" runat="server"> <h1>some text here</h1> testing </form> <usercontrol tag="whatever...

Attempting to create a CRM Test Environment
I am attempting to create a CRM test environment using the database name "Adventure Works Cycle". After the database is created and the users added I have attempted to import the XML schema and form changes from our Production Environment but everytime I do this I recieve the error "An Error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator". This error appears when I click on the "Services" tab. I know that it is attempting to query the database at this time. I am able to click on the "New Case" button and bring up the p...

How to create a "really" transparence MFC control?
I wrote a D3D app based on the MFC dialog,the app's draw frequency is 30FPS.It has a main dialog,i create the D3D device on it,also i create some sub dialogs and controls on this main dialog.When i run this app, some errors appear.When i click or move the sub dialogs and controls it reflash on the background(I think the MFC's draw frequency unequal to the D3D app's draw frequency cause this problem), this bring on the bad effect.Is there any methods let this sub dialogs and controls didn't reflash or redraw themself to be "really" transparence:only receive or send...

COM Proxy timeout error when creating new opportunity
I get an exception when creating a new opportunity in CRM 1.2: [COMException (0x80040e31): Timeout abgelaufen] Microsoft.Crm.Platform.ComProxy.CRMOpportunityClass.CreateAndRetrieve(CUserAuth& Caller, String InOpportunityXML) +0 Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.Opportunity.InternalCreateAndRetrieve(String xml, String columnSet) Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.Entity.CreateAndRetrieve() Microsoft.Crm.Application.Forms.AppForm.RaiseDataEvent(FormEventId eventId) Microsoft.Crm.Application.Forms.EndUserForm.Execute(Entity entity) Microsoft.Crm.Application.Forms.Customi...

Create a new e-mailactivity
Hi! I wonder if there is a chance to create a new activitytype like salesmeeting or if I only can use the existing ones...? You cannot create new types of Activity, and so are restricted to the original eight. However it quite common to reuse one of the original types - such as renaming the 'Fax' activity to 'Sales Meeting' or something similar. Typically I'd reccommend adding a Category or Meeting Type field to the Appointment Entity Type and then customising the Views or ISV.Config to fit your requirement, as whilst renaming the existing types can work it is a bi...

Track e-mails to active cases
We track relevant e-mails to cases but the case-list contains everything, also the resolved cases. This means the list is getting extremely long and it's getting difficult to find the actual case. How do I make CRM show only the active cases? what is the default view ? Have u changed default view to active case only? /Aamir When we open Cases in Outlook we have default view Active Cases, yes, but when we track e-mails, the list contains all cases, also the resolved ones. There is no option on views then. BG "Aamir" wrote: > what is the default view ? Have ...

How to create Office Sta 03 from a picture? #2
Just posting one help question, here's the second: Again regarding Creating Stationary for Outlook?! Again, reminding those I'm no "geek" in any respect, wishing one day I was, but it "ain't happened yet"! I depend & reply on those with the knowledge - so someone - please help! ONE TIME I was successful in taking an image, inserting into PAINT, fix'g the way I wanted it to show itself, saving same as an image, with the apparent default being Bitmap, wanting to save as another type - mainly that of Internet Explorer! HOW do I do it? As shared, ...

Remove Ability to Create Contacts
We have a third-party plugin tool (which links with our CRM) for Outlook 2003 which has its own "Create New Contact" wizard we want people to use instead of creating a new contact with Outlook. The question is, how do we remove their ability to create a new contact using Outlook's default contact creation screen? It would be nice if we could remove the button(s) used for creating a new contact, but the problem is the multi-function button on the left-hand side of the toolbar - when you're on the contact screen it become a Create New Contact button. But removing the entire ...

how to create a calculated field from another calculated field?
In a pivot table report I would like to add a calculated field that is like the following: = count( columnA ) / count ( columnB) But when I create a calculated field like the above, all I get is a value of 1 in every row of the pivot table. I realize after some experiments, its really performing = count( sum ( columnA ) ) / count( sum ( columnB ) ) So , how do I get what I want? ...

CRM email activity
when i try to use the body of an crm email activity, the body contains tags, by example <FONT ...> text </FONT> .... There are any chance of the body to not contain tags? -- Regards, Pedro Airó This behavior is hard-coded into to Microsoft CRM and is therefore "By Design". Having said that, what are you trying to accomplish? If I knew what you were trying to do, I may be able to suggest a workaround or possible solution. Aaron Elder Director, Software Development invokesystems solid technology. sound thinking. http://www.invokesystems.com "Pedro Ai...

create a cell that accumulates, numbers from another cell...
I need to know how to have a entery cell that can send number values to a cell that accumilates there sum .the entries in the entery cell can be changed and the recieving cell just keeps adding up. The entry cell can be left blank and the sum remains in recieving cell. -- Thanks sombull http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "sombull" <sombull@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:41021B44-363C-418C-9A4F-6CD126431698@microsoft.com... > I need to know how to have a entery cell that can send number values to a > cell ...

How to create and delete recovery points for DPM via PowerShell
Knowing how to manipulate DPM by way of PowerShell can come in handy in many situations. For example, I had a case to where I was troubleshooting the DPM console that was crashing and there was a concern as to whether or not recovery points where being made for specific protection groups. Using the PowerShell command we could not only verify this, but we could create a recovery point to any protection group we wished. Another example would be if you wanted to delete some recovery points to reclaim some disk space. Recovery points cannot be deleted by the GUI so you have to use P...

how to create a memorandum
i need to know how to create a memorandum for my excel, but i need to do it in word. You can use Paste Special to link an Excel range into Word. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "tamara" <tamara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DFC8B2F9-D808-40DA-9B22-C7445D486545@microsoft.com... >i need to know how to create a memorandum for my excel, but i need to do it > in word. ...

Access/Excel: Create multiple Lines/Column out of one mulit-line Column?
Hallo everyone! I spent a lot of time today searching for a response to my question but I had unfortunately no success. The problem is the following: I have got an Access-table called Employee with an ID and one corresponding Field/Column called comment. These comments are stupidly multi-line (separated by a Return). It's my aim to have access (he he, wordplay) to these two fields in Excel whereas the field shouldn't be longer that 255 characters. I considered three solutions: The table could be changed after being exported to excel in the following two ways: - Multiple Comment Column...