Converting leads to accounts always creates a new account

Hiya,

when we convert a lead to an account (and contact at the same time in case
that's relevant), it always creates a new account even when one with the
exact same name already exists. Is there something we could do to prevent
that (i.e. add the contact to an existing account when the Company Name name
matches an existing account)? We're mostly converting leads in bunches,
using a marketing list, so it's difficult to first check if the accounts
already exist one by one...

TIA,
Antti Kurenniemi

crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You can use a plug-in registered on the pre-create message of the account
entity to see whether a record with the same name already exists.

--
Visit my blog: http://crmdude.wordpress.com/

"Antti Kurenniemi" wrote:

> Hiya,
>

> when we convert a lead to an account (and contact at the same time in case
> that's relevant), it always creates a new account even when one with the
> exact same name already exists. Is there something we could do to prevent
> that (i.e. add the contact to an existing account when the Company Name name
> matches an existing account)? We're mostly converting leads in bunches,
> using a marketing list, so it's difficult to first check if the accounts
> already exist one by one...
>

> TIA,
> Antti Kurenniemi

Ok thanks. So I guess there's nothing "out-of-the-box" to do to avoid this?

Antti Kurenniemi

"Shafraz Nasser" <shafraz dot nasser at gmail dot com> wrote in message
> You can use a plug-in registered on the pre-create message of the account
> entity to see whether a record with the same name already exists.
>
> --
> Visit my blog: http://crmdude.wordpress.com/
>

> "Antti Kurenniemi" wrote:
>
>> Hiya,
>>

>> when we convert a lead to an account (and contact at the same time in
>> case
>> that's relevant), it always creates a new account even when one with the
>> exact same name already exists. Is there something we could do to prevent
>> that (i.e. add the contact to an existing account when the Company Name
>> name
>> matches an existing account)? We're mostly converting leads in bunches,
>> using a marketing list, so it's difficult to first check if the accounts
>> already exist one by one...
>>

>> TIA,
>> Antti Kurenniemi

An "out-of-the-box" workaround you could use is run a duplicate detection job
after you converted the leads and merge the duplicates that are found.

Regards,
Kevin Dosseray

"Antti Kurenniemi" wrote:

> Ok thanks. So I guess there's nothing "out-of-the-box" to do to avoid this?
>

> Antti Kurenniemi
>
> "Shafraz Nasser" <shafraz dot nasser at gmail dot com> wrote in message
> > You can use a plug-in registered on the pre-create message of the account
> > entity to see whether a record with the same name already exists.
> >
> > --
> > Visit my blog: http://crmdude.wordpress.com/
> >

> > "Antti Kurenniemi" wrote:
> >
> >> Hiya,
> >>

> >> when we convert a lead to an account (and contact at the same time in
> >> case
> >> that's relevant), it always creates a new account even when one with the
> >> exact same name already exists. Is there something we could do to prevent
> >> that (i.e. add the contact to an existing account when the Company Name
> >> name
> >> matches an existing account)? We're mostly converting leads in bunches,
> >> using a marketing list, so it's difficult to first check if the accounts
> >> already exist one by one...
> >>

> >> TIA,
> >> Antti Kurenniemi

0
Dossies (19)
9/21/2009 8:44:01 AM
On Sep 18, 1:21=A0am, "Antti Kurenniemi" <antti.kurenni...@datium.fi>
wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> when we convert a lead to an account (and contact at the same time in cas=
> that's relevant), it always creates a new account even when one with the
> exact same name already exists. Is there something we could do to prevent
> that (i.e. add the contact to an existing account when the Company Name n=
ame
> matches an existing account)? We're mostly converting leads in bunches,
> using a marketing list, so it's difficult to first check if the accounts
> already exist one by one...
>
> TIA,
> Antti Kurenniemi

Annti.
Not sure if I'm missing something, or if everybody else is, but...
Yes, there is something out of the box..   Instead of clicking to
create a new account, you can choose to link that lead to an existing
account...   On a lead you want to convert, click the Convert Lead
button, and select the radio button next to the box that lets you
choose an existing account.
Dave
0
davidlcarr (94)
9/21/2009 7:19:33 PM
"Dave" <davidlcarr@earthlink.net> wrote in message
On Sep 18, 1:21 am, "Antti Kurenniemi" <antti.kurenni...@datium.fi>
wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> when we convert a lead to an account (and contact at the same time in case
> that's relevant), it always creates a new account even when one with the
> exact same name already exists. Is there something we could do to prevent
> that (i.e. add the contact to an existing account when the Company Name
> name
> matches an existing account)? We're mostly converting leads in bunches,
> using a marketing list, so it's difficult to first check if the accounts
> already exist one by one...
>
> TIA,
> Antti Kurenniemi

Annti.
Not sure if I'm missing something, or if everybody else is, but...
Yes, there is something out of the box..   Instead of clicking to
create a new account, you can choose to link that lead to an existing
account...   On a lead you want to convert, click the Convert Lead
button, and select the radio button next to the box that lets you
choose an existing account.
Dave

That works ok for a single (or just a few) leads. The problem is doing a lot
of leads at one go through a marketing list. Not the "recommended" approach,
but it's what one customer insists on doing...

Oh well, thanks anyway for the replies.

Antti Kurenniemi

Thanks, I will check what I can come up with that.

Antti Kurenniemi

"Dossies" <Dossies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> An "out-of-the-box" workaround you could use is run a duplicate detection
> job
> after you converted the leads and merge the duplicates that are found.
>
> Regards,
> Kevin Dosseray
>

> "Antti Kurenniemi" wrote:
>
>> Ok thanks. So I guess there's nothing "out-of-the-box" to do to avoid
>> this?
>>

>> Antti Kurenniemi
>>
>> "Shafraz Nasser" <shafraz dot nasser at gmail dot com> wrote in message
>> > You can use a plug-in registered on the pre-create message of the
>> > account
>> > entity to see whether a record with the same name already exists.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Visit my blog: http://crmdude.wordpress.com/

C# Net GridView LinkButton open a new page
Hi, In my C# .Net framework 2.0 web application, I have a GridView which has the LinkButton ItemTemplate. I would like to have the click event for the LinkButton then it will open a new web page( not redirect). I think I'm stucking in the javascript with the asp control, need help! Thanks. Jason ...

Exchange Migration Wizard and creating new SMTP reply addresses
Hello, I'm migrating from a Netware 6.5 environment, but am going to be using another tool because of the need to migrate archives and personal address books. I would, however, like to use the Microsoft tool to populate the GWISE SMTP address with the old GroupWise address. Is there a way to run the Exchange Migration Wizard in a mode that will only create the additional GWISE SMTP addresses for all of my users? Aaron ...

Re: Outlook 2007 create background
I played around with this further. You can still use any HTML editor to = create stationery and place it in the user's Stationery folder. You can = also use FrontPage 2003 to create new themes with background images. = Details at = http://turtleflock-ol2007.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!C1013F1F9A99E3D8!230.e= ntry --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =...

Change default currency of Opportunity when convert Campaign Respo
Whenever we convert the campaign response to Opportunity, the currency on the Opportunity is always base currency and it cannot be changed. Is there anyway to make this auto created opportunity has another currency?? The transaction currency in Opportunity is drived from the original campaign from which you created campaign response. If you want your Opportunity has other currency, you need to set it when you create your campaign from the very beginning. "dorekofu" wrote: > Whenever we convert the campaign response to Opportunity, the currency on the > Opportunity is a...

New essay: Projects that build under VS.NET 2003/2005
It finally happened. Someone needs a project that builds under VS.NET 2005 (they want the ease of the 64-bit integration) and VS.NET 2003 (for all their old 32-bit developers). I wrangled with the problems for a bit, and came up with a kludge that actually works (clumsy though it is, alas). But to save anyone else the time taken to figure it out, the results of my experiment are documented on http://www.flounder.com/vs2325.htm joe Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flounder.com MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm ...

new emails
When I start a new email the text looks very small and hard to read but when I look at it in my sent folder it looks fine.... why? Have you checked your zoom level already? See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/95 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Mike Bunting" <Mike Bunting@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:228BBE80-21D2-4ADF-9048-CFB6C9DA3E9...

Convert XmlDocument to XpathDocument
Hi, I've an object of XmlDocument, I need to pass it to some function which takes XpathDocument object, How could I convert? There is not Conversion Operator overload like that. Your reply might help me a lot. Thanks, Fahad Fahad Ashfaque wrote: > I've an object of XmlDocument, I need to pass it to some function which > takes XpathDocument object, How could I convert? There is not Conversion > Operator overload like that. You can save to a MemoryStream and then load from that stream e.g. MemoryStream memStream = new MemoryStream(); xmlDocument.Save(memStream)...

Question about moving Outlook 2003 from an old computer to a new one
Microsoft Office Assistance has the following article, which describes the details for moving Outlook 2000 to a new computer: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010549451033.aspx I was wondering what, if anything, has changed for Outlook 2003? I'm asking only becuase I can't find a similar article, and I'm going to need to do this later next week. Thanks! Larry Larry Kahm <lkahm@nospam_heliotropicsystems.com> wrote: > Microsoft Office Assistance has the following article, which > describes the details for moving Outlook 2000 to a new computer: &g...

Adding a new data series to an existing chart
I have a stacked bar chart that shows monthly sales by customer type. I want to add an additional data series to show the monthly forecast, to be displayed as a point or line against the existing stacked-bar data. Any ideas? Select the data you want to plot. Drag onto the chart. XL will pop up with a dialog box asking for some information. Provide it and you will be all set. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta MS MVP Excel 2000-2004 www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA tutorials and add-ins Custom Productivity Solutions leveraging MS Office In article <1418C2D7-4DF6-4945-A08A...

Promoting and Outlook Email and Creating Contact
After reading an Email in Outlook I promote it to CRM. The author of the Email is not a CRM contact so their name appears in red. Clicking on the authors name, CRM gives the option of reconciling to another contact or creating a new contact record. When I select a new contact record, why doesn't CRM populate the name and Email address just like when you create a contact from an Email in Outlook? Why should I have to go back and look up the Email address from the Email itself to place in the CRM Contact record? I'd post that as a suggestion for future product enhancements. Ho...

Always Reply in HTML Format
Is there a way in 2003 to reply in HTML always redgardless of what orig message has been sent in? I know the security issues and the reason why its set up the way it is, just curious though. BigZ No. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, BigZ asked: | Is there a way in 2003 to reply in HTML always | redgardless of what orig message has been sent in? I | know the security issues ...

converting plain data to table format
It has been a while since I used excel but I am almost sure there is a way to convert just plain rows and columns of data into a table format. This way I believe that adding rows to this block of data is as simple as tabbing after the last cell and it should just drop down to the next row and insert one??? correct?? Excel should recognize a contiguous range as a table, or list. Include headings in the first row, and leave at least one blank row and column between the table and other items on the worksheet. You can use the built-in data form to add records to the table (Data>Form). Or,...

Four New KBs Issued on Updating Office 2003 SP1 Aug 18, 2004 (from Sloan Crayton?--Thanks)
*Recent KBs that May Help with the Epidemic or Pandemic of Office 2003 Installation Problems* You cannot update your Office 2003 program to Service Pack 1 (August 17, 2004) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;884298 Description of numbering scheme for product code GUIDs in Office 2003 (August 17, 2004) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=832672 Frequently asked questions about the local install source feature in Office 2003(August 17, 2004) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=830168 How to troubleshoot an update installation by using log file...

Why Out of memory error when trying to create a thread?
I'm using MS Visual C++ .NET, Windows XP, and 1GB RAM. Why could be the reason why I get an error message saying Out of memory when running the following code CClientThread* pThread = (CClientThread*) AfxBeginThread(RUNTIME_CLASS(CClientThread), THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL, 0, CREATE_SUSPENDED); My application does only have this additional thread. Joachim wrote: > I'm using MS Visual C++ .NET, Windows XP, and 1GB RAM. > Why could be the reason why I get an error message saying > > Out of memory > > when running the following code > > CClientThread* pThread =...

Messages in sent folder automatically gets deleted periodically on IMAP account
Windows Mail v6.0.6000.16386 using IMAP on Windows Vista Home Premium Every once a while, my email messages in my "sent" folder for some reason gets automatically deleted. Is there a way I can prevent this from taking place? Other than accessing the account via POP3 instead of IMAP, no. snomazushi wrote: > Windows Mail v6.0.6000.16386 using IMAP on Windows Vista Home Premium > > Every once a while, my email messages in my "sent" folder for some reason > gets automatically deleted. Is there a way I can prevent this from taking > place? ...

create new worksheet based on month change
Hi, I have a problem I hope someone can help me with. I have a worksheet for employees to enter data. At the beginning of each month I run a macro which copies a mastersheet to start the new month. The first column of the sheet is for the employee to enter their name. Using code when they move to the 2nd column it automatically inserts the date and the 3rd column the time both based on whether there is an entry in the first column. I want to call my new worksheet macro when the date changes month. I have been trying to use ActiveCell.Offset command to look at the date in the row above but with...

creating shared calendar in outlook 2007
Hi, I would like to create a shared calendar (diary, bookings) for the corporate, the thing is, when I go to organization and default folders, I'm able to create but when I go to OWA or Outlook 2K7 can't seem the folder (either rss and others, only the main mailboxs), also I cannot see public folder , only mailbox in bot owa and outlook 2k7. What is the best method to create a shared calendar? Sorry, I'm completely newbie regarding ex2k7 On 4 Mar 2007 03:50:49 -0800, "k0D" <camocas@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I would like to create a shared calendar (di...

properly creating Personal Folders
I have purchased Microsoft Office 2003 and in briefly reading the included book, it stated three licences were included. I assume that I am able to create three Persanol File Folders in OutLook. I am hoping to keep organized by creating; one for myself, one fordaughter and another for my mother. If I am not correct, please inform me and if I am correct, would you kindly instruct me on how I create the different Personal File Folders. Thank you File > New > Outlook Data File Your license will not affect how many PST files you can create. You might also want to consider creating...

Forward E-Mail to another account
Hello, Can Outlook-6 be setup to forward a copy of a e-mail message to another account. Thanks Clinton Yes, you can use the -Message Rules- option to do what you're askin for. Just go to Tools -> Message Rules -> Mail.. and from there on it really self-explanatory. In your case.. 1. pick whatever conditions you need (where the from line contains...) 2. select the option forward it to.. And you're done -- Heritag ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Heritage's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=425 View this th...

Can not create mailbox on new volume
Hi, I installed new volume and attached through SCSI to Exchange 2003 server. I created new database on new volume and started to move mailboxes in order to free space. When I try to create new mailbox in new volume it,s fault. i can create account , but not mailbox.i can create on old volume and after to move. I do not know if this is active Directory problems or new HD. Please, help >>When I try to create new mailbox in new volume it,s fault. What does the error say? Is the new store mounted? Vlad wrote: > Hi, > I installed new volume and attached through SCSI to Exchang...

Unable to set up new credit card account
I am trying to set up my new credit card account, but I keep getting the error message "To set up your accounts, you must be online. Please close Money, and then sign in to your file. When you sign in, make sure the Work offline box is cleared." However, I am online. I am not working offline. When I started the program, the work offline box was cleared. I logged in using my passport. Online updates are working. So, what's the problem? FYI: I am using Microsoft Money 2005 Deluxe. Version 14.0.120.1105 Does anyone have suggestions? (Please do not suggest that I switch to Q...

How can I create and display a chart dynamically on a UserForm wi.
I am trying to create charts dynamically using VBA and Excel. The data being plotted will change frequently, and my client wants to interface only with the user form, and not the worksheet itself. I know that you can use the MSChart control to do this in VB6, but I was wondering if there is a similar control for use with Excel and VBA. If so, any additional info on how to use it would be much appreciated. Thanks. I think it's an incredibly dumb idea to want to interface only with a userform (and sacrifice the flexibility of direct access to a chart). Maybe, you can convince your c...

Leading zeros problem
Hello, I have a list of codes (Project codes) in an Excel sheet, 5-digit long, and most of them start with 0's : 00001, 0002, .... 00123 etc... Now I use some kind of external application that reads into this excel sheet, and these codes. I need them to LOOK like this, 00001, but I also need the real actual value to be 00001. If I type 00001 Excel converts to 1. If I type '00001 it looks fine but the actual value is '00001, including the ' symbol, so my application does not pick up what it needs, expecting exactly 00001 . And I also tried to use the Custom format "00000...

Always prompts for username and password
Knowledge Base Articles 281791 & 290684 already tried. Windows XP SP1 Outlook 2002 (10.6515.6626) SP3 When I click Send/Receive, or if I use a scheduled Send/Receive to send or receive messages, Outlook prompts me for a username and password for an account even though the account has a saved password that worked in the past. There are four POP3 email accounts configured within Outlook. One is through Comcast and the other three are through a personal ISP. The three ISP accounts all have unique user IDs and passwords for each account, but they all share the same mail configurati...

Vacation/Sick Time and Project Accounting
Is there a way we can automatically update the accrued vacation/sick time in Payroll by entering a non-billable project number in Project Accounting and set the pay code to VACN or SICK in the timesheet entry form? ...