Contact to Address Relationship adding new Address fields

The Contact Entity has a number of field attributes attached to it from the
Address table like Address1_city.  With CRM 3.0 can I add a new field to the
Address table and get it to link to the contact like Address1_City?  If so
how would I do that?
I don't want to have to add a field to the contact table and then map it to
the address table because that will mean having two copies of the same data
and having them keep each other in synch in an onchange event, if I can.  Can
I do what I want or do I have to take the second approach?

Mike
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You can do this in a completely unsupported way. First, add the additional
attributes to the CustomerAddress entity. Next add the *metadata* for the
new attributes to the Cotact entity (follow the pattern used for the other
address attributes). Add the bits to the forms, etc. It's not pretty, and
it's actually a little more difficult in 3.0. I thought I blogged about
this, but it must have been an internal email.

--
MJ Miller
Microsoft CRM Technical Lead

** The opinions and comments in this post are my own and in no way reflect
the opinions of Microsoft or the Microsoft CRM team. This posting is not an
offer of support, either immediate or ongoing, and no support is implied.
Some of the information posted may include non-supported workarounds and
code samples.

0
MJ
2/14/2006 5:38:17 PM
I know I need to add two entries to the Attribute table since I want to add a
picklist item.  I am going to follow how the field shippingmethodcode is
defined with and address1_shippingmethodcode and a
address1_shippingmethodcodename since it is a picklist.  And I have already
added a picklist attribute to the Address Entity.
What else am I missing that ties the Address Entity attributes to the new
entries I put into the Attribute table for the contact?

"MJ Miller {MSFT}" wrote:

> You can do this in a completely unsupported way. First, add the additional
> attributes to the CustomerAddress entity. Next add the *metadata* for the
> new attributes to the Cotact entity (follow the pattern used for the other
> address attributes). Add the bits to the forms, etc. It's not pretty, and
> it's actually a little more difficult in 3.0. I thought I blogged about
> this, but it must have been an internal email.
>
> --
> MJ Miller
> Microsoft CRM Technical Lead
>
> ** The opinions and comments in this post are my own and in no way reflect
> the opinions of Microsoft or the Microsoft CRM team. This posting is not an
> offer of support, either immediate or ongoing, and no support is implied.
> Some of the information posted may include non-supported workarounds and
> code samples.

Could I have access to the info in the Blog or internal email so that I could
better understand this process.

Thanks

Mike

"MJ Miller {MSFT}" wrote:

> You can do this in a completely unsupported way. First, add the additional
> attributes to the CustomerAddress entity. Next add the *metadata* for the
> new attributes to the Cotact entity (follow the pattern used for the other
> address attributes). Add the bits to the forms, etc. It's not pretty, and
> it's actually a little more difficult in 3.0. I thought I blogged about
> this, but it must have been an internal email.
>
> --
> MJ Miller
> Microsoft CRM Technical Lead
>
> ** The opinions and comments in this post are my own and in no way reflect
> the opinions of Microsoft or the Microsoft CRM team. This posting is not an
> offer of support, either immediate or ongoing, and no support is implied.
> Some of the information posted may include non-supported workarounds and
> code samples.

If it were an internal email, then the answer is no unfortunately. I didn't
find it on my blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/mikemill), so I'm not sure where I
wrote this up. I don't have a V3 installation handy right now to try this
out. Maybe I'll do the tweaks on my home servers tonight and write it up.
Sorry, that's kinda what makes it unsupported :)

Mj

0
MJ
2/15/2006 4:47:51 PM
I understand, if you do get a chance that would be great, for now I am going
to bang around with it and see if I can understand what how it works.

Thanks

Mike

"MJ Miller {MSFT}" wrote:

> If it were an internal email, then the answer is no unfortunately. I didn't
> find it on my blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/mikemill), so I'm not sure where I
> wrote this up. I don't have a V3 installation handy right now to try this
> out. Maybe I'll do the tweaks on my home servers tonight and write it up.
> Sorry, that's kinda what makes it unsupported :)
>
> Mj

Error in Global Address Book after 60 days
Hi, i have a Exchange 2003 thats migrated from Exchange 2000, everything work fine, but after 60 days then something happend with the Global Address Book, i have a program called AgendaX (calender) thats read all users calender, but now after 60 days then there is a error thats tell me thats the users homeserver in the global address book is wrong, i can add new users and they work fine, but all old users are gone. Could there have been some deleted items in the address book that are gone after 60 days? is there any way to study each users entry in the global address book in detail? I c...

Viewing an Excel sheet w/out all the empty fields...
How do you create a spreadsheet that only shows the fileds with data in them? -How do you get rid of all the empty rows/columns, to ease viewing for those who are easily confused by excel spreadsheets? (I don't know how else to emaplin my question... I just don't want the extra columns & rows there, if that's possible...) Please help... Hi! >I just don't want the extra columns & rows there, if that's possible... Just hide them! Suppose the last column in your sheet that contains data is column H. You can hide columns I:IV so that after column H all you ...

adding digits to front/end of fax numbers
how do i add "1" before each fax number and ",,7741" at the end of each one? we have to dial one to dial long distance and we have a code to use the long distance in our office. please help quickly. Thanks Hi! Fax number in A1: =1&A1&",,7741" If you want a space after the 1: =1&" "&a1&",,7741" Biff "Luke" <Luke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D1C25AF0-7FBC-43CE-855D-FCCA77CD9759@microsoft.com... > how do i add "1" before each fax number and ",,7741" at the en...

doubt related to 'new' in MFC
Hi All, I have one doubt about garbage collection in MFC. If we function like Void Fun() { Int *var = new int; } Will MFC delete memory allocated in Fun() by new operator after closing the application? Thanks, Mishra On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 22:23:47 -0700, Mishra <mt.vijay@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi All, > >I have one doubt about garbage collection in MFC. Allow me to allay all your doubts. There is no garbage collection in native C++ programs, which is normally what someone is talking about when he uses the term "MFC" in this way. >If we function like > >Vo...

Alias Field on Outlook Contacts
I am looking for a way to hide the Alias attribute for contacts from the Global Address List. The field can not be removed all together becuase it is used by other process', but at the same time, the data can not be displayed company wide. This is on an Exchange 2003 Server. Any Ideas? There is no known way to change the Outlook global address list tabular display. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" <cdogmack7@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1162330373.898667.176380@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I am looking for ...

If field value has changed allow an audit
Hi, Some will have objections to what I am doing and call it messy - but anyway. If a field has had its value changed I want to be able to continue with the audit if it has not then - allow the form to close without saving. So I have added the following to the forms beforeUpdate. The two fields that I want to check are numeric Me!Eng_Cost and Me!Ext_Cost I have tried the .Dirty and it is not intended to work here. So Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) ' Confirm with user that this record is to be modified Dim updRecord As Byte updRecord = MsgBox(...

Names, Addresses In A Table...
I Am Putting Names And Addresses In A Table For A Directory I Am trying To Put Together, 6 Rows And 3 Columns. 18 Companies To A Page, I Will Have Approx. 300 Pages When Complete. My Question Is: Is There Any Way To Make Them Go In Alphabetical order By Name Of Company? I Am Very Greatful To Anyone Who May Be Able To Give Me Some Help. Thank You very Very Much. PS: I Am New To This Kind Of Software And Would Like To Say To MS PUBLISHER...You Are Very RUDE!! This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_01E6_01C43075.4641A2B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf...

opening a new document w/ a custom stencil open
I have created a custom stencil for users in my workgroup and saved the file to a network directory. Currently, to use it we do FILE>SHAPES>OPEN STENCIL and navigate to the file. I'd like to make this more transparent. What I'd like to do is have something where the user does FILE>NEW and when I get the "Choose New Drawing Type" I'd like to insert my custom 'templates' (not sure if that's the right term in Visio) and when the user selects one of those it opens the editing window w/ my custom stencils already loaded. IOW, I want it to work just like o...

How do I get address book to include e-mail address?
When I select to: box in the new message the search box does not include the e-mail address and is not included in the address line. How do i fix that? Any chance the Contacts folder has lost it's "Show this folder as an E-mail Address Book" checkmark in Properties? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197577/en-us "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" check box is dimmed in Outlook Contact folder properties Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!...

Can't track certain Outlook Contacts
Hi, For one of my users (crm 3.0 - Outlook 2003), the 'Track in CRM' button does not appear for certain contacts. About 2/3s of the contacts are fine. I thought it might be contacts created in the Blackberry then sync'd to Outlook but that doesn't appear to be the case. I'm still working on finding a pattern, unfortunately this user is travelling a lot so it's hard for me to sit down with her and see what she's doing. I thought maybe someone may have had a similar experience. ...

New Customizable Option Strategy Screeners #2
o More powerful custom screeners. o Build your own screeners with configurable filters. o Save your screeners to use later. o Six filters to choose from(more coming soon). o Screener data updated twice daily. Check out www.avasaram.com ...

New page on Video Carrdds
I have created a new page on video cards from my forum and from my reviews etc. Lots of helpful information with more to come. Vendor neutral its meant to be helpful without a vendor calling the shots. -- http://contract-developer.dyndns.biz ...

Publisher Pic Problems & VGA Driver
Hi, I'm very frustrated. I too cannot see any embedded photos when I open up my Publisher doc for editing. Tried everything in Help & now have read everything in the Online Support. (Btw, I'm not absolutely positive but I think this "invisible pics" problem started happening after I downloaded Flash 8, as a last resort I will uninstall it). Anyway, I have an Asus W5A laptop with Windows XP Pro. It has Intel Centrino Mobile which includes an Intel (R) 915/GM Chipset driver. So following suggestions on this site, I went to the Intel to find driver downloads to upd...

referencing to worksheet names in macro for each new worksheet inserted
Hi I created a code to insert new worksheets and rename them according t values on the new worksheet itself. Say in Cell D1, i have th worksheet name. My question is when i want to refer to this worksheet in subsequen coding, how should i code it? For eg, How should i write the ???? for Sheets("????").select? Would creatin the a variable to store the names help? Thanks in advance Ken -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com After inserting your new worksheet set it's name equal to a variable. For example SHEETS.ADD VWORKSHEET = ACTIVESHEET.NAME This method ...

How do I set default start time, File-New-Meeting "start time"
when we point on a date in the furture - and then click on "File", "New", "Booking" - then thus form starts at 23:59 the day BEFORE .... I would like to have to start on the same date - and mayby at 08:00 ... Will it possible to change the start time? What happens if you double click on the date or time period? If you use month view, you'll get all day appointments, if you use a day view with time periods, you'll get an appointment for the time period. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook ...

Problem Installing Business Contact Manager from Drive (not CD)
About a year & a half ago I copied my entire Office 2007 Ultimate 2 CDs onto a hard drive. I have a new laptop and installed the first CD contents from the portable drive with no problems (all Office products, Outlook). However, when attempting to install the Business Contact Manager from the CD2 contents, it continues to give me an error near the end that the installation has failed and to look at the log file. Could someone advise me on what may be causing this and how I can fix it to install the BCM onto my machine? I can send the log file if you'd like me to. Just em...

Is it possible to setup a mail address change reminder?
I'm managing an Exchange 2000 server. We've undergone a mail address change recently (both new and old addresses are still valid) and I'd like to know if it's possible to set up a mail address change reminder. Such reminder's job is like this: When a person sends to the old address, I'd like Exchange to send a reminder back to this person to tell him that he could use the new address to contact the user. How to do this? TIA Perhaps have users setup Rules or use a transport event sink. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog -----...

How Do You Change Defaults In Contact Entry Form?
I am new to Outlook 2007 and want to use it in a more personal setting. The contact entry form defaults to business information, and it is a very tedious process to contiunally change the type and order of telephones addresses, etc. from "Busines . . " to "Home . . ." Is there a way to change the default selections with in the Contact form? Brokenstick East Coast, USA. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com "Arthur" <arthurshanker505[at]gmail[dot]com> wrote in message news:eFIc6b5vKHA.3408@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I am new to Outl...

Office 2007
How do I fix the problem of an error message stating that the file is full - unable to display. I just upgraded to Office 2007 and the problem did not correct. I have only a single user and do not want to add anothe user to copy files there Outlook throws no such message. Provide the rest of the information like mail account type, how you configured it, and what action produces the error. I doubt this is an Outlook issue at all. -- Russ Valentine "Pearson385" <Pearson385@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1A864AE-9464-4E3E-B5F0-F656BACD76B0@mi...

adding manager from domain to another
Hi guys, i'm facing very hard problem. i'm net admin and the IT manger asked me to add some data to users attribute as (manger).every thing is fine untill i tried to add manger to one user from another domain.there is no choice to choice other domain even there is two trust between them. the two domain in not under one forest. please do not hesitate to share any info.. thanks in advance. -- scorpion_ana ------------------------------------------------------------------------ scorpion_ana's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/179985.htm View th...

New User Not Showing in All Users' GAL
Hello-- I add new users all the time and this is the first time I have had this issue. This new user that I added to the AD and has an Exchange mailbox shows in my GAL on my workstation, but no one else's We are running Exchange Server 2003 Standard on a Windows Server 2003 Enterprise box. I think I missed something small--but I can't find it. -- Stephen Hi Did the outlook client work in cached mode? -- "razor" wrote: > Hello-- > > I add new users all the time and this is the first time I have had this > issue. This new user that I added to the A...

re-install Office:Mac onto a new ibook
My daughter is trying to install her offic:Mac 2004 ver. onto her new ibook. She has tried all 3 product keys and the software tells her that none of the keys is a valid key. I am using one of the keys. There is one that is not used by anyone. Any ideas? menace Kindly see: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.mac.office/browse_thread/thr ead/86500aa2b6a12ed1/a02bed6966e34e47?lnk=st&q=office+mac+install+key&rnum=8 &hl=en#a02bed6966e34e47 http://www.mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/office/pid.html On 28.11.2006 5:13, in article 1164687194.510100.155880@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups...

new
Hey !!! I just be a new guy . SO AM I "ocean" <oceanwind@163.com> wrote in message news:edWsfGOLJHA.4324@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hey !!! I just be a new guy . > ...

export my outlook address book BACK to outlook express?
so...I hate outlook. it's WAY WAY too slow...and I've learned how to use OE to import all of my emails/folders etc back okay. but OE reported that it can't import the outlook address book... how do I do that? Jim JVRudnick, you wrote on Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:31:01 -0800: > so...I hate outlook. it's WAY WAY too slow... Which version? Maybe following articles are helpful: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/slow.htm http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940226/en-us > but OE reported that it can't import the outlook address book... If your contacts in Outlook st...

Wrong From address (OL 2003)
Outlook 2003 SP-1 on Windows XP SP-2. Internet only version. Just this morning, Outlook has started to malfunction in a most peculiar way, using the wrong From address on my e-mails. I have six accounts in Outlook, named G1, G2, G3, C1, C2 C3. My default is G1. When I write a new e-mail using G1, or respond to an e-mail sent to G1, the From address is shown as that from account C1. In fact, I have tried writing e-mails from different accounts and on all but one occasion it used the From address associated with account C1 (no idea what was different about that one message, so...