Changing a custom field length

We have created a custom section and there is a field (in that custom
section) whose length has to be changed from 100 to 500 of nvarchar
datatype, but the interface does not allow more than 100 for nvarchar.
I couldnt modify the format of textbox to textarea as it is disabled
nor i can change the datatype to another datatype. can anybody please
help me with this??

Affy

0
Affy
11/2/2006 8:14:58 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Unfortunately you'll have to recreate the field, as you can neither increse
the length of a text field nor change it's format after it's been created.

Then there's a question of what to do with any existing data in the field.
Although it's unsupported, I'd be quite happy just using a SQL update command
to copy values from the old field to the new one, taking appropriate backups
first

"Affy" wrote:

> We have created a custom section and there is a field (in that custom
> section) whose length has to be changed from 100 to 500 of nvarchar
> datatype, but the interface does not allow more than 100 for nvarchar.
> I couldnt modify the format of textbox to textarea as it is disabled
> nor i can change the datatype to another datatype. can anybody please
> help me with this??
>
> Affy

Thanks David, I would give it a try. I would also like to know that if
I could change the field column in the table directly and also import
the modified customization in to the CRM. I haven't given a try, but it
just came just now after reading ur message

Aftab

David Jennaway wrote:
> Unfortunately you'll have to recreate the field, as you can neither increse
> the length of a text field nor change it's format after it's been created.
>
> Then there's a question of what to do with any existing data in the field.
> Although it's unsupported, I'd be quite happy just using a SQL update command
> to copy values from the old field to the new one, taking appropriate backups
> first
>
> "Affy" wrote:
>
> > We have created a custom section and there is a field (in that custom
> > section) whose length has to be changed from 100 to 500 of nvarchar
> > datatype, but the interface does not allow more than 100 for nvarchar.
> > I couldnt modify the format of textbox to textarea as it is disabled
> > nor i can change the datatype to another datatype. can anybody please
> > help me with this??
> >
> > Affy

0
Affy
11/2/2006 4:00:33 PM
Changing the field length after the fact is quite complicated and goes
beyond just changing the feild length.  The length is stored in several
places within the DB Metadata and you need to find them all in order to do
this correctly.  In the end, it is probably quicker to create the new field
and copy the data.

--

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

David Jennaway wrote:
> Unfortunately you'll have to recreate the field, as you can neither
> increse
> the length of a text field nor change it's format after it's been created.
>
> Then there's a question of what to do with any existing data in the field.
> Although it's unsupported, I'd be quite happy just using a SQL update
> command
> to copy values from the old field to the new one, taking appropriate
> backups
> first
>
> "Affy" wrote:
>
> > We have created a custom section and there is a field (in that custom
> > section) whose length has to be changed from 100 to 500 of nvarchar
> > datatype, but the interface does not allow more than 100 for nvarchar.
> > I couldnt modify the format of textbox to textarea as it is disabled
> > nor i can change the datatype to another datatype. can anybody please
> > help me with this??
> >
> > Affy

0
Matt
11/2/2006 4:17:43 PM
Affy
NO!  Don't do it!  The metabase (forms, etc.) and the DB would be out
of sync...  You have to create a new field that has the proper
length...
HTH,
Dave

Affy wrote:
> Thanks David, I would give it a try. I would also like to know that if
> I could change the field column in the table directly and also import
> the modified customization in to the CRM. I haven't given a try, but it
> just came just now after reading ur message
>
> Aftab
>
> David Jennaway wrote:
> > Unfortunately you'll have to recreate the field, as you can neither increse
> > the length of a text field nor change it's format after it's been created.
> >
> > Then there's a question of what to do with any existing data in the field.
> > Although it's unsupported, I'd be quite happy just using a SQL update command
> > to copy values from the old field to the new one, taking appropriate backups
> > first
> >
> > "Affy" wrote:
> >
> > > We have created a custom section and there is a field (in that custom
> > > section) whose length has to be changed from 100 to 500 of nvarchar
> > > datatype, but the interface does not allow more than 100 for nvarchar.
> > > I couldnt modify the format of textbox to textarea as it is disabled
> > > nor i can change the datatype to another datatype. can anybody please
> > > help me with this??
> > >
> > > Affy

0
Dave

Ho to make one field required based on critera of another field?
I'm creating a form and need to make the "comments" field required if the "code" field is =>20. I appreciate suggestions! Deadline Monster is lurking! User enters the job processing endcode value (numeric) into the "code" field. If the endcode is =>20, comments are required. (P.S. I don't know VB) Thanks! Star You would put your validation code in the Form's BeforeUpdate event. If Me.EndCode >19 Then If Len(Me.Comments & "") = 0 Then MsgBox "Comments are required" Cancel = True End If End If ...

Publisher 2000 changes default font
Having loaded Publisher 2000 onto a Win98 m/c I have discovered fonts used by Groupwise have changed. This implies that P2000 has changed the default font somewhere - any ideas please? How do I change the fonts in GroupWise http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10061270.htm -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "PS" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1be4401c45220$f2b1b4a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Having loaded Publisher 2000 onto a Win98 m/c I have > discover...

Constructing Hyperlink from the Database Record fields
I am working on a Windows XP environment using MS Office 2007 including Access 2007. I want to open a document from Access 2007 which I can easily do with Hyperlink type field. However since all the necessary information is already in the Database Record I try to avoid creating additional field which would be a Hyperlink type on the Form unless it is absolutely necessary. Below is the code that I have to construct the FullFileName which consisted of ServerName, Division, Unit, RequirementDirectory, FolderName and the FileName itself. As you can see the Database records has al...

Article published by Microsoft reg. 'Event' custom entity
Recently, I found a great article published by Microsoft that contains a sample code on how to create a custom entity, event. I thought that I bookmarked it but cannot find it. Has anyone seen it and can provide a hyperlink? I will really appreciate it. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa682866.aspx you'll probably find it in the above link "mkatsev" wrote: > Recently, I found a great article published by Microsoft that contains a > sample code on how to create a custom entity, event. I thought that I > bookmarked it but cannot find it. Has anyone seen...

Field mapping for Opportunity Products
Why I can't add some field mapping for OpportunityProduct system relation with Opportunity? I need to know the default pricelist that was assigned for an Opportunity when I am at OpportunityProduct form. ...

User Defined Required Fields
I have set several field on sub window Sales User-Defined Fields Entry of Sales Transaction Entry as "Required". If the user remembers to click User-Defined, then they become required. But if the user never clicks on User-Defined from Sales Transaction Entry, then they can still save the new document without the required fields entered. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this asside from continual user training? Your answer is VBA. You own Modifer, so you also have VBA enabled. You'll need to write VBA code to open the window (literally, push the button) then set th...

hide/change color of selected row headings
Is it possible to hide the row heading numbers for selected rows (i.e. rows 51 and greater) for just the selected sheet? I'd like to have a color with no row heading number appear that matches the fill color I select for the adjacent cells. Secondly, any ideas as to how I can prevent the user from scolling further down than a certain point (i.e. row 51). Thanks in advance. Joe Row headings are either on or off, you can't hide some. However, you can achieve a similar effect by hiding *all* headings (Tools/Options/General) and putting the numbers 1:51 in A1:A51. to limit scro...

changing a name in mulit parts of a document
I am setting up a word document. This will be used as a template In this document I wish to insert the same "name" throughtout this document. Is it possible to change the name in one spot and all of the others change automatically thanks See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>...

change exchange name suffix
Hi We need to change our exchange server 'name' suffix. The situation is that we have a local DNS domain 'bs.si' where all our company computers and server are (Win2k srv AD) We have also external domain 'bs-group.si' that is also for delivering mail (mx record). The Exchange server name is 'posta' Now when someone connects to Exchange server from outside via port 25 it responds like '220 posta.bs.si ...', but I want that the response will be like '220 posta.bs-group.si'. So that mail that is coming from our server will be seen like that i...

Changing password #2
Hi, If I change a domain user's password, will that user's Exchange Server 2003 mailbox's pssword be changed too? I mean, does Active Directory share the same password with Exchange Server 2003? Thanks! Exchange never had passwords separate from domain, not even in Exchange 4-5.5 era. So you would change just one password, which belongs to AD account. Michael wrote: > Hi, > > If I change a domain user's password, will that user's > Exchange Server 2003 mailbox's pssword be changed too? > I mean, does Active Directory share the same password > w...

Date changing 2028....2029......1930???????
Hello! I have a slight problem, in my form i have a date section which is automated as 00/00/00. I use these for part of a report as a from this date to this date, if you put 010125 it will automatically change it to 01/01/2025. The thing I have found is that it is fine until you get to 010130 and then it saves it as 01/01/1930 :-/ any ideas? Thank You Jay -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200703/1 Assuming you're using XP, go to Regional Settings in the Control Panel, and click on the Customize button. Look on the...

Dynamic chart: Changing Ranges
Hi: I have a set of data, going across by months, and going down into different categories that I have to graph using stacked column charts. Since the data is going to be in the same columns, just going down a category...I'd like to know if there is a way for me to add some kind of drop-down to the chart so that users can just drop-down to CATEGORY 1, and see the chart for CATEGORY 1, without me having to build 10 different charts that i'll have to update everytime i add new data. I would appreciate any advice or feedback. Hello: Check out Jon Peltier's website. It looks ...

Change Opportunity Date to Quarter info
Hello, could you help me to convert MS CRM 4 Opportunity Estimate Close Date to Quarter info (and set quarter info to new field) I'll do it on field onchange function. sample : 2010.01.03 change to 2010Q1 2010.04.23 change to 2010Q2 So I need code for onchange funktion :) B.I. On 17 Gru, 15:40, "B.I." <aid...@jdjdjd.lt> wrote: > Hello, > > could you help me to convert MS CRM 4 > Opportunity Estimate Close Date to Quarter info (and set quarter info to new > field) > I'll do it on field onchange function. > sample : > > 2010.01.03 change...

Pivot table Data field question
I create a pivot table from three columns of data, using the Wizard.In the Layout dialogue, I drag one of my fields to the Rows; I drag anther field to the Columns. I need to drag a third field to the Data area. There's no conflict there, each Data cell of the resulting matrix would be unique. Excel doesn't let me do this. It insists on using a calculation, e.g. Sum of [field3], Count of [field3], etc. How do I convince Excel to insert just the value of Field3 in the Data? -- Regards Gershon Shamay The field you drag to the data area will always be summarized. However, if the v...

User defined fields #2
Entered user defined fields the way I wanted, however, the software has now put it all in ascending order and there are no sort options available. Any way to correct without having to do it all over? Put in ascending order where?=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 "Darcy W." <Darcy W.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Any way to change the transaction date?
I had a wierd issue recently when the server was restarted it went back to 1/1/2003 I replaced board battery to fix the pblm but for reporting porposes is there any way to move the sales data for what the system thinks is 1/1/2003 to 1/28/2007? you can do so by using following query: take the backup before performing the operation: update [Transaction] set Time='2007-1-28' where year(time)=2003 and month(time)=1 and day(time)=1 update Journal set Time='2007-1-28' where year(time)=2003 and month(time)=1 and day(time)=1 update TransactionHold set TransactionTime='...

How do I change the default number format ?
The current number format is general. I would like to change it to accounting with no $ and 2 decimals. I can't seem to find how. I'd appreciate any help that anyone can give me. Thank you. Hi. You would want to change the definition of the "Normal" style. From the menu: Format | Style... And modify the "Normal" style HTH -- Dana DeLouis Win XP & Office 2003 "LarryH" <LarryH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA38F73B-D938-4EB7-804F-6716C292E3E3@microsoft.com... > The current number format is general. I would like to...

change business card printing from 10 to 8 on a page?
Some how Pub reverts back to a 10 per page even when I org set it up a 8 per page how do I change it back to 8 What version Publisher are you using? 2003 and below, Page setup, Business cards, click *Change copies per page*... Type: ..5 side ..75 top ..5 Horizontal Gap ..5 Vertical Gap This setup will print with crop marks, if you don't want the marks, on the print screen click *Advanced Print Settings* 2007, File, Page setup, Advanced (on the right) select *Multiple pages per sheet*, change the margins to those above. Give the setup a name, it will be available next time you nee...