Cannot make any changs on server

Every time I try and make a change, or publish something on my test server,
I receive this error message
"An error has occurred. For more information contact your system
administrator"

I have set the web config file to give more details on errors, but it does
not give anything more than this for the error.
I cannot find any problems in the event logs of the servers. I have even
restarted the, to no avail. Does anyone know what could suddently cause this
problem?

0
Saira
6/7/2006 4:12:55 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hi Saira,

In the web.config, did you change <add key="DevErrors" value="Off" />
from 'Off' to 'On' and try accessing that page again? It seems strange
that it wouldn't provide more details on the error if that line was
set. Try running an iisreset after changing it. Also make sure you
aren't caching the page or accessing it through an internal proxy
server. If you manage to get more details on the error, post it here.
;)

- Nathan Manzi

Saira wrote:
> Every time I try and make a change, or publish something on my test server,
> I receive this error message
> "An error has occurred. For more information contact your system
> administrator"
>
> I have set the web config file to give more details on errors, but it does
> not give anything more than this for the error.
> I cannot find any problems in the event logs of the servers. I have even
> restarted the, to no avail. Does anyone know what could suddently cause this
> problem?

0
Nathan
6/8/2006 1:56:27 AM
Nathan
It was already set to on.
IIS had already restarted.

I could not do anything with the server, could not import an old copy of the
settings, could not make any changes and could not publish anything.

In the end I backed up the settings, uninstalled and re-installed CRM with a
new database, and then imported the settings from the live server
(effectively ditching the last few changes I had made). This got me back up
and running again. OK to do on a test server, but a bit scary not knowing
what caused the problem in the first place.

..
"Nathan Manzi" <nathan.manzi@eye4you.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi Saira,
>
> In the web.config, did you change <add key="DevErrors" value="Off" />
> from 'Off' to 'On' and try accessing that page again? It seems strange
> that it wouldn't provide more details on the error if that line was
> set. Try running an iisreset after changing it. Also make sure you
> aren't caching the page or accessing it through an internal proxy
> server. If you manage to get more details on the error, post it here.
> ;)
>
> - Nathan Manzi
>
> Saira wrote:
>> Every time I try and make a change, or publish something on my test
>> server,
>> I receive this error message
>> "An error has occurred. For more information contact your system
>> administrator"
>>
>> I have set the web config file to give more details on errors, but it
>> does
>> not give anything more than this for the error.
>> I cannot find any problems in the event logs of the servers. I have even
>> restarted the, to no avail. Does anyone know what could suddently cause
>> this
>> problem?

0
Saira