Can I select Picklist Value in View to sort by name instead of val

I have a picklist new_Company in a Custom Entity. 
When we select the Company in the Header of the View, the sort is by int 
Value, not by the Label (Company Name).  Is this a problem because with the 
Custom Entity?

I noticed the Case Type in Cases sorts Alphabetically, not by the Value.

Any workarounds?

Thank you!
0
Marty (99)
5/7/2008 1:24:00 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

8 Replies
621 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 32

Something is wrong.  We have many custom enities with new picklist attribute. 
 In a view, it is sorted alphabetically.  I'd just confirmed it in one of our 
4.0 environments.

Try testing it out with another new picklist attribute to see if it behaves 
the same.


Frank Lee, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com
http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm


"Marty" wrote:

> I have a picklist new_Company in a Custom Entity. 
> When we select the Company in the Header of the View, the sort is by int 
> Value, not by the Label (Company Name).  Is this a problem because with the 
> Custom Entity?
> 
> I noticed the Case Type in Cases sorts Alphabetically, not by the Value.
> 
> Any workarounds?
> 
> Thank you!
0
FrankLee (144)
5/7/2008 6:03:00 AM
do you have the sort ascending set in the attribute of the entity?

Ian
"Frank Lee" <FrankLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:EF389584-0DE7-46DF-8E05-01B729CE98C7@microsoft.com...
> Something is wrong.  We have many custom enities with new picklist 
> attribute.
> In a view, it is sorted alphabetically.  I'd just confirmed it in one of 
> our
> 4.0 environments.
>
> Try testing it out with another new picklist attribute to see if it 
> behaves
> the same.
>
>
> Frank Lee, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
> http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com
> http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm
>
>
> "Marty" wrote:
>
>> I have a picklist new_Company in a Custom Entity.
>> When we select the Company in the Header of the View, the sort is by int
>> Value, not by the Label (Company Name).  Is this a problem because with 
>> the
>> Custom Entity?
>>
>> I noticed the Case Type in Cases sorts Alphabetically, not by the Value.
>>
>> Any workarounds?
>>
>> Thank you! 


0
rango20 (75)
5/7/2008 12:30:31 PM
We're using 3.0.  I created a new picklist COTEST, assigned the values as 
follows 1=b, 2=c, 3=a; then I sorted the default View by COTEST, edited the 
records to include this new picklist attribute's value, and looked at the 
View.  
The COTEST sorts by the b,c,a order. When I select the Header COTEST, it 
reverse sorts a,c,b.

Do you know for a fact that 3.0 sorts the picklist by name, or was the name 
coincidentally entered in alpha order (1=a,2=b,3=c)?

Thank you!

"Frank Lee" wrote:

> Something is wrong.  We have many custom enities with new picklist attribute. 
>  In a view, it is sorted alphabetically.  I'd just confirmed it in one of our 
> 4.0 environments.
> 
> Try testing it out with another new picklist attribute to see if it behaves 
> the same.
> 
> 
> Frank Lee, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
> http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com
> http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm
> 
> 
> "Marty" wrote:
> 
> > I have a picklist new_Company in a Custom Entity. 
> > When we select the Company in the Header of the View, the sort is by int 
> > Value, not by the Label (Company Name).  Is this a problem because with the 
> > Custom Entity?
> > 
> > I noticed the Case Type in Cases sorts Alphabetically, not by the Value.
> > 
> > Any workarounds?
> > 
> > Thank you!
0
Marty (99)
5/7/2008 1:43:01 PM
Yes - that did not change it.  We are on 3.0.

"Ian Watson" wrote:

> do you have the sort ascending set in the attribute of the entity?
> 
> Ian
> "Frank Lee" <FrankLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:EF389584-0DE7-46DF-8E05-01B729CE98C7@microsoft.com...
> > Something is wrong.  We have many custom enities with new picklist 
> > attribute.
> > In a view, it is sorted alphabetically.  I'd just confirmed it in one of 
> > our
> > 4.0 environments.
> >
> > Try testing it out with another new picklist attribute to see if it 
> > behaves
> > the same.
> >
> >
> > Frank Lee, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
> > http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com
> > http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm
> >
> >
> > "Marty" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a picklist new_Company in a Custom Entity.
> >> When we select the Company in the Header of the View, the sort is by int
> >> Value, not by the Label (Company Name).  Is this a problem because with 
> >> the
> >> Custom Entity?
> >>
> >> I noticed the Case Type in Cases sorts Alphabetically, not by the Value.
> >>
> >> Any workarounds?
> >>
> >> Thank you! 
> 
> 
> 
0
Marty (99)
5/7/2008 1:43:01 PM
Ok, there maybe an issue with 3.0, please check KB or submit it support case. 
 Has your 3.0 updated with the lastest Update Rollup?

With 4.0, it works fine - it is not sort on the picklist ID, but the display 
value.

"Marty" wrote:

> We're using 3.0.  I created a new picklist COTEST, assigned the values as 
> follows 1=b, 2=c, 3=a; then I sorted the default View by COTEST, edited the 
> records to include this new picklist attribute's value, and looked at the 
> View.  
> The COTEST sorts by the b,c,a order. When I select the Header COTEST, it 
> reverse sorts a,c,b.
> 
> Do you know for a fact that 3.0 sorts the picklist by name, or was the name 
> coincidentally entered in alpha order (1=a,2=b,3=c)?
> 
> Thank you!
> 
> "Frank Lee" wrote:
> 
> > Something is wrong.  We have many custom enities with new picklist attribute. 
> >  In a view, it is sorted alphabetically.  I'd just confirmed it in one of our 
> > 4.0 environments.
> > 
> > Try testing it out with another new picklist attribute to see if it behaves 
> > the same.
> > 
> > 
> > Frank Lee, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
> > http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com
> > http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm
> > 
> > 
> > "Marty" wrote:
> > 
> > > I have a picklist new_Company in a Custom Entity. 
> > > When we select the Company in the Header of the View, the sort is by int 
> > > Value, not by the Label (Company Name).  Is this a problem because with the 
> > > Custom Entity?
> > > 
> > > I noticed the Case Type in Cases sorts Alphabetically, not by the Value.
> > > 
> > > Any workarounds?
> > > 
> > > Thank you!
0
FrankLee (144)
5/7/2008 5:10:32 PM
I logged a ticket with Microsoft - turns out you can only sort by the 
picklist int value; the workaround...enter in A-Z order (that's fine, until 
you add more values!)  And it's unsupported to create a temp SQL table to 
store old and new values and update the current list in A-Z order.  

Marty

"Marty" wrote:

> Yes - that did not change it.  We are on 3.0.
> 
> "Ian Watson" wrote:
> 
> > do you have the sort ascending set in the attribute of the entity?
> > 
> > Ian
> > "Frank Lee" <FrankLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> > news:EF389584-0DE7-46DF-8E05-01B729CE98C7@microsoft.com...
> > > Something is wrong.  We have many custom enities with new picklist 
> > > attribute.
> > > In a view, it is sorted alphabetically.  I'd just confirmed it in one of 
> > > our
> > > 4.0 environments.
> > >
> > > Try testing it out with another new picklist attribute to see if it 
> > > behaves
> > > the same.
> > >
> > >
> > > Frank Lee, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
> > > http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com
> > > http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm
> > >
> > >
> > > "Marty" wrote:
> > >
> > >> I have a picklist new_Company in a Custom Entity.
> > >> When we select the Company in the Header of the View, the sort is by int
> > >> Value, not by the Label (Company Name).  Is this a problem because with 
> > >> the
> > >> Custom Entity?
> > >>
> > >> I noticed the Case Type in Cases sorts Alphabetically, not by the Value.
> > >>
> > >> Any workarounds?
> > >>
> > >> Thank you! 
> > 
> > 
> > 
0
Marty (99)
5/14/2008 10:16:00 PM
4.0 - works fine in 'primary' language, in our case English, but for a user 
running in another language, e.g. German, the alphabetic sort does not work. 
Any suggestions?
-- 
Best regards,
Per


"Frank Lee" wrote:

> Ok, there maybe an issue with 3.0, please check KB or submit it support case. 
>  Has your 3.0 updated with the lastest Update Rollup?
> 
> With 4.0, it works fine - it is not sort on the picklist ID, but the display 
> value.
> 
> "Marty" wrote:
> 
> > We're using 3.0.  I created a new picklist COTEST, assigned the values as 
> > follows 1=b, 2=c, 3=a; then I sorted the default View by COTEST, edited the 
> > records to include this new picklist attribute's value, and looked at the 
> > View.  
> > The COTEST sorts by the b,c,a order. When I select the Header COTEST, it 
> > reverse sorts a,c,b.
> > 
> > Do you know for a fact that 3.0 sorts the picklist by name, or was the name 
> > coincidentally entered in alpha order (1=a,2=b,3=c)?
> > 
> > Thank you!
> > 
> > "Frank Lee" wrote:
> > 
> > > Something is wrong.  We have many custom enities with new picklist attribute. 
> > >  In a view, it is sorted alphabetically.  I'd just confirmed it in one of our 
> > > 4.0 environments.
> > > 
> > > Try testing it out with another new picklist attribute to see if it behaves 
> > > the same.
> > > 
> > > 
> > > Frank Lee, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
> > > http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com
> > > http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm
> > > 
> > > 
> > > "Marty" wrote:
> > > 
> > > > I have a picklist new_Company in a Custom Entity. 
> > > > When we select the Company in the Header of the View, the sort is by int 
> > > > Value, not by the Label (Company Name).  Is this a problem because with the 
> > > > Custom Entity?
> > > > 
> > > > I noticed the Case Type in Cases sorts Alphabetically, not by the Value.
> > > > 
> > > > Any workarounds?
> > > > 
> > > > Thank you!
0
Per (30)
8/7/2008 4:13:00 PM
We haven't found any
-- 
Best regards,
Per


"Gangadhar Madduri" wrote:

> any updates.
> Is there any alternative solution for this?
> 
> 
0
Per (30)
9/15/2008 2:26:04 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How can I change default setting in Office start-up?
I need to change the default setting on my Word, Excel and PPT programs (MS Office 2004) so when they open they aren't at, for example, Word 11.3.0, rather at Word 11.2.3. I mac OSX, a G5. When I do a control click on any of those programs, go to "get info" and then choose the 11.2.3 that I want to open with, it does it no problem. When I click "change all" it doesn't change the default -- the 11.3.0 is always the default despite that I'm trying to change all. How do I fix this? BTW this whole problem started when someone at the genius bar deleted one of the...

Copy Userform ListBox AND TextBox values
How can I copy the values from ListBox1 and TextBox2 from the same Userform into the same cell on a worksheet? I have the code to copy either one to the correct location but I need to merge the values from both, seperated by a slash (/). I have tried using the following but it will paste "FALSE" into the appropriate cell: With Target .Value = ListBox1.Value & " / " & .Value = TextBox2.Text 'copies data to column B End With Thanks. -- Traa Dy Liooar Jock Ignore last - I have managed to do it. -- Traa Dy Liooar Jock ...

Can categories be backed up somehow?
I back up rules, etc., and got to wondering if there was a file that saved our custom categories list. TIA. StargateFan <IDon'tAcceptSpam@IDon'tAcceptSpam.com> wrote: > I back up rules, etc., and got to wondering if there was a file that > saved our custom categories list. TIA. Start with this: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olcat.htm -- Brian Tillman On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 09:27:16 -0400, "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote: >StargateFan <IDon'tAcceptSpam@IDon'tAcceptSpam.com> wrote: > >> I back up rules, etc., and...

Can't open .pub files either
I have installed / unistalled / installed / uninstalled Publisher 2003 several times and have the same problems others seem to have. I can create and save a .pub file but cannot open them. Get the "cannot find file" message followed by the "cannot open" message. I have loaded the same Publisher program on another computer in our office and it works fine. To save time I should said ahead of time that we: DO NOT use Norton Antivirus DO use Norton Internet Securities which have been set to "allow scripts" Please help! If I cannot re-open and re-edit .pub fi...

can't read emails
When I do send & recieve it look like the mails go somewhere else but inbox, where they go? how can I see them? I know for sure those email where download from my server On Tue, 03 May 2005 07:34:07 -1000, emilio <emilio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I do send & recieve it look like the mails go somewhere else but > inbox, > where they go? how can I see them? I know for sure those email where > download > from my server What version of Outlook are you running and what mode (Corp/Workgroup, Internet Mail Only, etc.) do you have it installed i...

can I print selected cells only within a worksheet
I have designed a simple template using text only for a unique advice note. I want to be able to add variable information within this template but need only for the variable information to print onto a pre-printed advice note. I do not want to hide the template as I need to see exactly where to insert the variables but I do not want it to print. Anyone help? Thanks. Maybe you can use this ? http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#Hide -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "martin hanley" <martin hanley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA062677-3...

Absolute Values and Column Insertions
I've created a formula in column A that adds up some cells in column D. Ex: =sum(D3:D6). If I insert one column in front of column D, the formula changes to =sum(E3:E6). This happens even if I change the formula to =sum($D$3:$D$6). I also tried creating a range name called TEST referring to the original $D$3:$D$6 range and the column insertion changed the TEST range definition as well. Is there a way to keep a formula from NOT adjusting to column insertions or deletions? Thanks in advance! Please don't multi-post See answer in other newsgroup -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Mic...

Report Index Does Not List All Names
I am trying to create an index for a retiree listing that we have (1600+) however when I open my report to polulate the results for the TableOfContents table- the only names listed are the ones for the top of each page. Here is the module that I used from Microsoft. Any input would be appreciated. Option Explicit Dim db As DAO.Database Dim TocTable As DAO.Recordset Dim intPageCounter As Integer Function InitToc() 'Called from the OnOpen property of the report. 'Opens the database and the table for the report. Dim qd As DAO.QueryDef Set db = CurrentDb() 'Re...

add a business unit picklist
Hello, I'm wanting to add a picklist of my business units to the Account and Contact forms. I found a newsgroup post from John O'Donnell posted on 12/13/2004 that mentions this is possible. (seach for "views or sort by business unit" in the CRM newsgroup to find the thread containing John's post). I'm hoping John or someone else will be able to further explain how I can go about doing this. See John's post below... Thanks! "one way would be to add a picklist field to your forms which contains your business units etc so you can then create views to filt...

how can I split a single cell diagonally in Excel 2000
Anyone out there know a way to split a single excel cell diagonally in order to have it contain 2 pieces of information? Forrest, As far as I know, you can not split a cell diagonally so that it can contain 2 pieces of information. However, you can merge cells which might give you the effect that you want. To do so, go to the standard toolbar and hit Format -> Cells -> Alignment Tab -> Text Control and work with the merged cells option. ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Forrest" wrote: > Anyone out there know a way to split a single excel ce...

Copy a file with only values no formulas
Is there an easy way to copy a workbook so that it only has the values and not the formulas? Thank you. -- Lee Coleman Right click on a sheet tab and select all sheets. Then select all cells on the active sheet. Do a copy, then Edit, paste special, values. Right click on a sheet tab and select ungroup sheets. Save the workbook under a different name!!!! Bob Flanagan Macro Systems http://www.add-ins.com Productivity add-ins and downloadable books on VB macros for Excel "Lee Coleman" <lee@nospam.jjlgreenhouses.com> wrote in message news:OIOx4$FeHHA.4020@TK2MSFTN...

No files selected in openfiledialog
How can I test for openfiledialog OK clicked without any files being selected? (I'm using it with multiple select as true.) I've tried if openfiledialog1.filenames = nothing then ... and if ubound(openfiledialog1.filenames) = -1 then ... but both these give compile errors. Grateful for advice. Am 11.05.2010 15:46, schrieb simonc: > How can I test for openfiledialog OK clicked without any files being > selected? (I'm using it with multiple select as true.) > > I've tried > > if openfiledialog1.filenames = nothing then ... > &g...

uninstalling microsoft office 2001 value pack
Hi, I already have office 2001 on my machine, and recently installed the value pack. i noticed word became notably slower and so for now i just wish to unistall the value pack. how can i do that cleanly. any ideas why my machine would slow down like that. i still do have 1.2 Gig of hard disk space available. thanks. ...

selecting a query from a combo box
HELP! Need to design a DB for my boss and I am lost! I have a database which lists students who have went on exchange over the last 17 years to over 20 countries and numerous institutions.. I have set up 3 queries/reports using parameters so the user can enter: 1) the year 2) the country or 3) the insitution. Now the problem is the insitution query as the name of the institution can get spelt various ways so I would prefer the user to select the institution from the drop down box which they use to enter the data into the table under the field "institution". My f...

Can you change the way quick parts and/or auto text displays?
Is there a way to change the look of the drop down menu for quick parts and auto text so it does not take up so much space? Something like it looked in 2003? Assuming that you have discovered the building block organizer - see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Buiild_Employ_Custom_BB_Gallery.htm Like 2003 it ain't! -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<&...

Can publisher 2003 be installed on 2 computers?
I have a office computer and home computer. I will be purchasing Publisher 2003, but can I install them on both of my computers? campfig wrote: > I have a office computer and home computer. I will be purchasing > Publisher 2003, but can I install them on both of my computers? Technically, Publisher 2003 can be installed on a desktop and a mobile computer (ie laptop). When you go to activate your second computer it just depends on whether or not you tell them it's a laptop. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com Windows Marketplace Moderator This...

selecting Access 2000 or "Access 2002" with the Convert Database command
I'm getting ready to convert a number of Access 97 mdb files to Access 2002. I'm looking over the instructions for doing this in the "Using MS Access 2002 - Special Edition" written by Roger Jennings. In that book, it says to select Tools - Database Utilities - Convert Database - To Access 2000 file format. Since this book is for Access 2002, I was surprised that it would suggest selecting the 2000 file format instead of 2002. I'm thinking this just a typo - but I thought I'd also check with this newsgroup to see if anyone knows of a reason why someone working in 2...

Can't get Publisher to give "send as message" as an email option
We use Windows live Mail which won't work with publisher. So for the purposes of sending out an email I changed the default program to Windows mail But, under the option "send email" only the send as attachment option appears. I have changed the default program in Vista to use windows mail. Help ...

how to detect item selected from List Control?
Hi I'm trying to detect the index of the item selected from a list control when a user hits the up or down arrows from the keyboard. So I made a call to list.GetSelectionMark() in the List control's event LVN_KEYDOWN, however this always results in the call to GetSelectionMark returning the index of the item selected before the arrow key was hit any ideas of how to get the item selected after the arrow key has been hit, or a better event to detect a change in item selected? Thanks ahead of time. How about LVN_ITEMCHANGED notification message? Ali R. "Mark" <anonymou...

How can I add a CDaoRecordview and/or CDaoRecordset class to a project in VC2003?
Hello group I have a problem. I don't know how add CDaoRecordset or/and CDaoRecordview class to a project in VC2003. In VC 6 I know,but with VC2003 I do: 1. Click Project. 2. Add Class 3. Click Category/MFC -> MFC class 4. I don't see the CDaoRecordset or/and CDaoRecordview class in base class list. Please anybody, help me!!! Thank's in advance ...

text conversion to number on select query
Hi, In a Select Query I'm joining 2 tables by Item ID (unique value, similar to Social Security Number) but 1 table created by IT has Item ID as a "number" value and the other table has it as a "text" value. How can I in a Select Query, create a formula that can either have the text as a number value and vice versa so i can link the 2 without getting "type mismatch in expression." I think I can use Cdbl Value or something like that in the formula but not sure. Thanks! "inspirz" wrote:subed going to jail > Hi, > ...

IF String value the....
I am trying to calculate a formula based on the right most character in a cell. For instance if a cell had a entry like Baker T. I want to calculate a formula if the T is there and another if the T is missing. Thanks in advance Hi use =IF(RIGHT(A1,1)="T","do something","something else") -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany jolene wrote: > I am trying to calculate a formula based on the right most character > in a cell. > For instance if a cell had a entry like Baker T. I want to calculate > a formula if the T is there and another if the...

How to average a column, but exclude zero AND negative values?
I used the formula of =AVG(IF(A1:A10)<>0,A1:A10)) to exclude just the zero values, but what about zero AND Negative? Thanks!! =AVerage(IF(A1:A10)>0,A1:A10)) Still array entered. KMHarpe wrote: > > I used the formula of =AVG(IF(A1:A10)<>0,A1:A10)) to exclude just the zero > values, but what about zero AND Negative? > > Thanks!! -- Dave Peterson ...

can receive but not send 02-26-10
Help please... I can receive but not send messages from my windows mail accounts (2) Message appears as below.... The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider. The rejected e-mail address was 'steveburgess12@bigpond'. Subject '',...

can someone help with this error?
Error: "The form required to view this message can not be displayed. Contact your administrator" One of my users gets this error when trying to open an email that originated from a yahoo web based email account. In her outlook inbox the email contains an attatchment to each forwarded message. It is when clicking to open the forwarded message that the error occurs. Note that this same email opens fine on other computers using the same version of Outlook. The 'original' message is several 'forwarded' messages deep and contains pictures. When I look at it my title bar ...