Hello,

I am attempting to prepare a client demo that demonstrates some of the
features of Microsoft CRM 4.  The potential client is a staffing
agency, and I have spent some time thinking about how they might use
the product.

Here is a business process I have thought up that, if I could get it
to work, would be great to show at a demo.

1.  An account calls about an opportunity.  The opportunity is
entered.  The opportunity has certain skills attached to it, such as:
SQL Server, Linux, C#, etc

2.  Contacts (candidates) also have certain skills attached to them,
such as:  SQL Server, Linux, C#, etc.

I would like to setup a workflow in CRM that does the following:
a.  Upon creation of the opportunity, the workflow matches the skills
of the opportunity with the skills of candidates.
b.  The workflow then sends out a canned email to the candidates about
the opportunity

I have created a 'skills' entity.
I have created a 1:N relationship between the opportunity entity and
the skills entity.
I have created a 1:N relationship between the contact entity and the
skills entity.
I have started creating a workflow based on the opportunity entity
'upon creation'

That is as far as I have gotten.
Does anyone know if what I am trying to do is even possible within the
constraints of the workflow framework?
Does anyone have any pointers to automated marketing via workflow
examples?

Thanks.  I look forward to the replies
0
smpayton (1)
7/26/2008 1:04:08 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

An alternative or complementary approach - you could consider using marketing
lists (based on skill sets) and quick campaigns. You will need email content
that contains links to vacancies on an external site.

Chris
--

VEM - email intelligence  (read- and clickthru- tracking)
http://mscrm4u.blogspot.com

"Payton Consulting" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to prepare a client demo that demonstrates some of the
> features of Microsoft CRM 4.  The potential client is a staffing
> agency, and I have spent some time thinking about how they might use
> the product.
>
> Here is a business process I have thought up that, if I could get it
> to work, would be great to show at a demo.
>
> 1.  An account calls about an opportunity.  The opportunity is
> entered.  The opportunity has certain skills attached to it, such as:
> SQL Server, Linux, C#, etc
>
> 2.  Contacts (candidates) also have certain skills attached to them,
> such as:  SQL Server, Linux, C#, etc.
>
> I would like to setup a workflow in CRM that does the following:
> a.  Upon creation of the opportunity, the workflow matches the skills
> of the opportunity with the skills of candidates.
> b.  The workflow then sends out a canned email to the candidates about
> the opportunity
>
> I have created a 'skills' entity.
> I have created a 1:N relationship between the opportunity entity and
> the skills entity.
> I have created a 1:N relationship between the contact entity and the
> skills entity.
> I have started creating a workflow based on the opportunity entity
> 'upon creation'
>
> That is as far as I have gotten.
> Does anyone know if what I am trying to do is even possible within the
> constraints of the workflow framework?
> Does anyone have any pointers to automated marketing via workflow
> examples?
>
> Thanks.  I look forward to the replies

0
ChrisC (12)
7/28/2008 10:39:00 AM
I don't think your relationships will work. For instance, a 1:N relationship
with opportunity and skills requires that there exists a skill entity for
each opportunity (e.g. each opportunity that requires the "Linux" skill would
have a different "Linux" skill). If you reverse the relationship to be N:1
between opportunity and skill, then each opportunity can only have one skill.
I think what you want is the following:

N:N relationship between opportunity and skill
N:N relationship between contact and skill
N:N relationship between opportunity and contact

I would recommend creating a plug-in that would fire on the Associate &
Dissassociate messages. Associate will create the many-to-many relationship
between opportunity and skill.

If you want your example to use workflow, you can have the Plug-in call
ExecuteWorkflow to call the Workflow in an on-demand fashion.

The workflow can then have a Custom Workflow activity that has the following
logic:
1. Query the Opportunity-Skills relationship entity to find which skills are
required
2. Query the Contact-Skills relationship entity for each required skill to
determine which contact possesses each individual skill.
3. Associate each Contact that has all the required skills with the
Opportunity.

If you don't require a workflow, you could put this logic into the original
Plug-in (that executed the Workflow). If you want it to happen right away
(although it will slow down the saving of the opportunity), you can make the
Plug-in synchronous so that it executes at the same time as the Opportunity
being saved.

"ChrisC" wrote:

> An alternative or complementary approach - you could consider using marketing
> lists (based on skill sets) and quick campaigns. You will need email content
> that contains links to vacancies on an external site.
>
> Chris
> --
>
> VEM - email intelligence  (read- and clickthru- tracking)
> http://mscrm4u.blogspot.com
>

> "Payton Consulting" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am attempting to prepare a client demo that demonstrates some of the
> > features of Microsoft CRM 4.  The potential client is a staffing
> > agency, and I have spent some time thinking about how they might use
> > the product.
> >
> > Here is a business process I have thought up that, if I could get it
> > to work, would be great to show at a demo.
> >
> > 1.  An account calls about an opportunity.  The opportunity is
> > entered.  The opportunity has certain skills attached to it, such as:
> > SQL Server, Linux, C#, etc
> >
> > 2.  Contacts (candidates) also have certain skills attached to them,
> > such as:  SQL Server, Linux, C#, etc.
> >
> > I would like to setup a workflow in CRM that does the following:
> > a.  Upon creation of the opportunity, the workflow matches the skills
> > of the opportunity with the skills of candidates.
> > b.  The workflow then sends out a canned email to the candidates about
> > the opportunity
> >
> > I have created a 'skills' entity.
> > I have created a 1:N relationship between the opportunity entity and
> > the skills entity.
> > I have created a 1:N relationship between the contact entity and the
> > skills entity.
> > I have started creating a workflow based on the opportunity entity
> > 'upon creation'
> >
> > That is as far as I have gotten.
> > Does anyone know if what I am trying to do is even possible within the
> > constraints of the workflow framework?
> > Does anyone have any pointers to automated marketing via workflow
> > examples?
> >
> > Thanks.  I look forward to the replies

0
mscott (20)

CRM 3.0 Implementation

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

help need with VC 6.0 IDE and mfc

Problems with creating a newsletter

Vlookup returns "0"

crm 3.0 error 03-01-06

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

wanted to design a 4 sided A5 leaflet.
Are there any templates available to download? There are pre-designed leaflets within Publisher. You might think about 4-sided... Do you mean a booklet fold? There are templates here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Mystic" <Mystic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14C3F9CB-5AA9-4B17-9E8E-1E5DD93227CD@microsoft.com... > Are there any templates available to download? ...

CRM 3.0 Login Problems

Unable to sort on customer CRM 4.0

Sending Email #6

CRM Email Displays Size=2>

Duplicate E-Mail #4

Email cannot be resolved...

Topic- Implementation Methodology covered in CRM Exam!
Hi Next week I am apearing for Exam "CRM Instalation & confirguration". I am in doubt that cheptor "Implementation Methodology" is covered in Exam? I can not found above topic it in following course note! https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/communities/trainin g/Certifications/exampreparation/MBS_CRM_Install_prep.htm#T opics Your answer will help me to Read above Topic for Exam point of View or note? Best regards Kesh Patel Kesh. I passed the "Installation & Configuration" (MS-03-010) exam yesterday. The "implementation methodology&q...

MS CRM Security 05-26-04
Hi, I have 2 business units: 1. New Business Sales 2. Account Management (management of current customers) I want to use the MS CRM security settings so that users in New Business Sales cannot see any account records for our current customers. This includes if the New Business Sales users select the &#8216;All Accounts&#8217; view. Is this possible with MS CRM? Yes. When you assign access rights to the role, only give them "Business Unit" access, they will only be able to see data within their BU. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ------------------...