advanced read-only security

I have a client with an obscure security need. They want all users to be able
to search for a contact record and have them be able to see the preview
information for each record that is returned in the resultset. However, they
do not want them to be able to open the main record window to view the
complete record information.

I know of no way that this can be done through the application BUT I was
wondering whether it would be possible to add additional security
verification code when the preview is selected.

thanks in advance
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Simon;

you are correct that it can't be done out of the box (if a user can see a
contact in a view, then they can at least view the contact's details).  your
best be might be to create a custom web app that queries the CRM for the
list of relevant contact fields and display the data in a simple html table.
There are lots of examples of querying contacts in the SDK.

Dave

"Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a client with an obscure security need. They want all users to be
>able
> to search for a contact record and have them be able to see the preview
> information for each record that is returned in the resultset. However,
> they
> do not want them to be able to open the main record window to view the
> complete record information.
>
> I know of no way that this can be done through the application BUT I was
> wondering whether it would be possible to add additional security
> verification code when the preview is selected.
>
> thanks in advance

0
Dave
8/25/2005 2:07:13 AM
In this case though, you either need to impersonate a user with Gloabl read
rights or query the database direclty as the API will filter based on user
security as well.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:07:13 -0400, "Dave Ireland" <direland@salentica.com>
wrote:

Simon;

you are correct that it can't be done out of the box (if a user can see a
contact in a view, then they can at least view the contact's details).  your
best be might be to create a custom web app that queries the CRM for the
list of relevant contact fields and display the data in a simple html table.
There are lots of examples of querying contacts in the SDK.

Dave

"Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a client with an obscure security need. They want all users to be
>able
> to search for a contact record and have them be able to see the preview
> information for each record that is returned in the resultset. However,
> they
> do not want them to be able to open the main record window to view the
> complete record information.
>
> I know of no way that this can be done through the application BUT I was
> wondering whether it would be possible to add additional security
> verification code when the preview is selected.
>
> thanks in advance

0
Matt

Advanced analysis tool in Excel
I have hundred of customers and 5 staff working on 3 types of product. I am going to put the customers into 5 groups and each staff responsible for one group. Considering the workload of each staff should be similar to each other and try to keep them specialized in product. Any analysis tool in excel can help? Pivot Table Customer Product A Product B Product C Total IBM 345 25 14 384 3M 23 23 Dell 456 67 523 HP 187 90 277 ...

FA Manager* Security Setting Is Weird
Hi, I found out the security setting in V10 is working werid... For example, there is a predefined Role called "FA Manager*". Its description states that this role can do everything for FA management. However, when I looks at the securtity tasks under this role, there is no task that actually say that this role can do "Retire Asset". The most possible task would be "TRX_FIN_FA01", but it does not contain any windows relating to retiring asset. But the user with the FA Manager* role assigned CAN retire the asset. I don't how this can ...

GP 10 Security Access
We have users set up with both the Purchasing Agent and Purchasing Manager roles. However, when they generate a PO from SOP and try to print the Purchase Orders Generation Register, they get "Not privileged to run this report". They currently have access to the following reports: POP PO Gen Error Log, POP PO Gen Site Mapping List, POP PO Gen Suggested PO, and POP Print Purchasing Documents Exception Report. I cannot find the Generation Register report anywhere. What do they need access to? Never mind! I just found it under the Sales reports. "Elaine" wrote: &...

"Security Policy In Force" Error
'1291i2@ee.net' on 2/14/2005 10:17 AM The recipient could not be processed because it would violate the security policy in force <BIGLOG.thenap.com #5.7.0 smtp;530 5.7.0 Authentication required - on relay of: MAIL FROM:cdcd@thenap.com> Ok we've had this exchange 2k3 server running for like 6 months now, working great, then today we come to work and suddenly these error messages start popping up out of nowhere, any idea whats going on? Thanks, -Drew That is the default behavior of Exchange. What is trying to send the message? Sounds like it is a POP3 or IMAP client...

Reading the value of an "xsi:type" attribute [unfortunate, but necessary cross-posting]
*Cross-posting from microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp, since I believe the question is better suited in this XML group* Hello all, I'm having some problems understanding all the ins and outs with datasets and datatables (and navigating through the filled datatable)... Just when I thought I had gotten the hang of it, another problem arose: I can't seem to access the "xsi:type" attribute. That is, the XML file looks something like this: .... <situation> <objectID>123</objectId> <situationElement xsi:type="td:roadWorksType"> ....

April Cumulative Security Patch
After installing the security patch, i no longer can access any of my managed e-mail accounts. Send/receive returns the error dialog box for accounts that worked fine before installation of the patch. Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution? Don't know if I experienced it or not as you have not provided what program you are using or the version or the error messages or anything else useful. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: bulldog <anonymous@dis...

Can an Advanced Find be exported?
Do you know if an Advanced Find view can be exported Thanks, Clare when you create view , you usually share or assign to another users. I never heard of exporting it :=) /Aamir Thanks Aamir. I wanted to take it from one installation to another. Never mind. "Aamir" wrote: > > when you create view , you usually share or assign to another users. I > never heard of exporting it :=) > > /Aamir > > ...

quick way to suppress reading pane totally?
Is there a way to suppress reading pane from appearing all together for outlook 2003? Start Outlook with the /nopreview command line switch. (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP010031101033.aspx) -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm "forum.microsoft.com" <newsgrp@noMail.com> wrote in message news:ucgtlnY$HHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to suppress reading pane from appearing all together for > outlook 2003? > ...

newbie question: read form properties from another class
Hi, I am sorry for this n00b question, but I'm stumped. I created a form application (using C#.NET Express). For now, it is a simple, singe form, that contains 1 button and 1 textbox. The button calls a method in another class. My question: how do I read the forms' textbox text from that class? My problem seems to be getting a proper reference to the form in my class. My background is VB6, where this was straightforward. I tried the following: -make the textbox public, -create a public property in the form, that returns the textbox text, -passing the form ob...

Read This : International Version MNY05
The International Version of Money has very limited BUGS, when you compair it to the US version. It has worked seemlessly from day one, when I tried out my friends MS Money US version it did not work as well as the International Version. When he installed the International version everything worked, including his banking downloads. There is also no need to use an MSN passport, mainly because around the world most banks don't rely on this, so there is no need EVER. I really hate the category drop down lists now merged into one though. Remember the Int. version is a mixture of del...

How to read location, content of selected cell in pivot table data area?
Greetings! Am fumbling with the pivot table object, trying to work around some idiosyncrasies. Would appreciate help on two things: 1. How do I read the cell value when a cursor is located in the data area, and associate it with an item value or otherwise locate it in the data area with respect to the framing fields/items so I can flag the row as not ..visible? 2. Is there an on-line description somewhere of how the parts of the pivot table object fit together, and VBA access to them? To give an idea where I'm at - it seems a little wild to need to read the cell.pivotcell.parent val...

Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '250 HELP', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 250, Error Number: 0x800CCC7D
I cant receive or send emails in windows mail. What do I have todo? Please copy and paste the error message into the body of your post . . . not the "Subject" line - it got truncated. "valeria migelson" <valemigelson@gmail.com> wrote in message news:eW$sk6#kKHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > I cant receive or send emails in windows mail. What do I have todo? Judging by the fragment of the error message you have in the subject = line, it looks like you have the wrong settings for Gmail. Use these: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answ...

security: domain admins can open any mailbox etc
Hi, We use exchange 2003 Ent and any member of domain admin group can open any mailbox and has even send as permissions. i have added the DWORD value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\ExAdmin: Value Name: ShowSecurityPage Data Type: REG_DWORD Value: 1 and see the domain asmin listed but all allow options are selected and greyed out. Is it standard for Domain admins to have such hugh priviledges and if No then how can I cut their access down? Thanks -- George I have the same setup and Domain\Admin users have all allow option gray out but the associated external account....

Excel files via FTP are read-only if spaces in the name
If I open a spreadsheet from an FTP site, and the spreadsheet has a space in the name, then Excel will always open the file as read-only. If I rename the file to exclude the space in the name, then Excel will open it and allow me to save any changes to the file. Any ideas what's happening? How can I open a file named "My Spreadsheet.xls" directly from an FTP site? Is this a known bug or a feature? Here are a few of the details: I'm using Excel 2002 (10.6501.6714) SP3 and the FTP site is using authenticated login, not anonymous. It's an IIS FTP server on Windows 2000. Th...

how to handle empty LoginResponse if read by XMLTextReader
I am using VB.Net. My program is to connect to a remote IPAddress. Once, it verifies the login information it should display the SessionID and enable some button . I appreciate your help and thanku in advance When I run the pgm , I get the error: Can't parse login information. Object Reference not set to an instance of an object. I have added the Try-catch in all my functions. In ParseLoginResponse function, it catches the above exception. I am inclding all the functions I am using below: Private Function SendXmlRequest(ByRef xml As String) Try Dim xmpReques...

Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92 I had exchange 2003 on 2000 server, installed 2008 server and E2k7, moved the mailboxes. So far 3 users attempting a POP3 connection have received this error above. I have setup a new mailbox/user and dont get this error. I then deleted one of the 3 problematic user + mailbox, added a new user with same username + mailbo...

Modifying X-Z Reading for Gift Certicates
Is there a way to modify the Z Reading to make Gift Certifates work like Deposit Made and Deposit Redeemed. I would like to see Gifts not added to my Sales total when sold but just there for balancing ant not count as a sale unit an actual item is purchased. Because as it stands now when you sell an item Sales go up by the Gift Certificate amount and then Sales increase again by the same amount when the Gift Certificate is redeemed. ...

How to make Microsoft CRM Read-Only fields
I am trying to design a form that includes some information that cannot be changed by users. But I know that Microsoft CRM cannot have Read-Only fields. Please help me with work around solution. If you have any solution, please email me at may.fan@metrixtechnologies.com Thank you very much! May Well you cannot make a field read only in a standard install. It may be possible to change the source code to a form but that would be unsupported. one option would be to have a picklist as a business required field. You could then attach event code to this field which could help validate the ot...

Maintenance Plan and Read Only DB
I'd like to use a Maintenace plan to run DBCC + Update Statistics on my DBs, but since i have one DB which is Read Only it stacs on that DB. What can I do? If the DB is read-only why update stats ? "Gal" <Gal@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 345532F2-4689-44B0-8F39-1E637FD64179@microsoft.com... > I'd like to use a Maintenace plan to run DBCC + Update Statistics on my > DBs, > but since i have one DB which is Read Only it stacs on that DB. > What can I do? I forgot to mention that I like to use the option of &...

OWA safest security practices?
Hi, I am wondering how best to secure OWA through the permissions of the various pages. I am already running it in form-based authentication, but I would like to block access to the additional OWA pages unless they're needed. For example, going to 'https://host/OMA' or 'https://host/exadmin' will pop-up a password box instead of re-directing to the form based page (we're not using Mobile Access). Can I deny all access to the OMA, exadmin, and Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync pages so that they won't prompt for a password? I don't want to break anyth...

Any ideas to simply secure the mail inside my local domain ?
Hello, I have an Exchange 2003 server and a local domain with 200 users. I have a lot kind of mail client (outlook express, outlook, mac client) and i use SMTP/POP3 for the mail traffic. I have put a anti-spoofing software to clean the message that comes from outside my domain but i would like to secure the mail traffic inside my domain. For example, I don't want that an user send mail with the director's email address and i would like so that my user have more trust in the internal mail. I have these simple ideas : - authentify the smtp traffic with ISA 2004... - authentify the smtp c...

Outlook Security Settings #4
Hey Ive been having some problems setting up Outlook Security Settings, to allow a macro in excel to send mails without promting if the users wants to allow an automated email to be sent. I started with installing the ORK and admpack.exe, then i followed the readme.doc step by step. - registered the hashctl.dll and comdlg.ocx - created a public folder "Outlook Security Settings" and gave myself owner role, the rest reviewer role. - opened outlooksecurity.oft in the new folder and published it there as well - opened a new form from the new published template, maed some changes and t...

Read custom fields using PSI
Hi, This is urgent so I hope someone can help. Thanks. I tried to display a dropdown list of a custom field's values, but kept having zero record return. Checked the database and saw my custom field in the custom field table and its values in the lookup table. Not sure what I was missing in the code but no record was returned. Below is my code in C#: private CustomFieldWS.CustomFieldDataSet readCustomFieldDS = new CustomFieldWS.CustomFieldDataSet(); private LookupTableWS.LookupTableDataSet lookupDS = new LookupTableWS.LookupTableDataS...

why would sa not have security to Financial Reconcile in 10.0
Hello: We did a test upgrade from 8.0 to 10.0 and security converted successfully. What's strange, though, is that sa did not have access to Reconcile Financial Information. sa had access to System (of course), Inventory, and Fixed Assets as shown by navigating to Tools...Utilities. Since sa has the POWERUSER role in 10.0, why would sa not have access to everything? Could it be that in 8.0 in this install that sa's rights were limited to begin with by the client? Does this diminish in 10.0 the POWERUSER role if it is given to another user? In other words, would other users...

Restoring Exchange Data
HI. I experienced a crash with my Windows 2000 server which is the Global Catalog and dns server. Anyhow in my infinite wisdom I decided to do soemthing with the exchange server and in the meantime - it blew any active directory info which had replicated to the exchange server. The Exchange server was a part of the domain with AD installed, etc. The exch. server is a running windows 2003 server w/ exch. server 2003. Fast forward...I rebuilt the Windows 2000 server and its backup. I also rebuilt the Exchange Server...not completely knowing how to proceed....I installed w2k3 with all ...