Adding Contact information to a form

Hello -  I am trying to get multiple contact entitys to display on a custom
entity form.

I have created a custom entity called 'Special Account information' It has a
number of custom attributes that we do not wish to add directly to the
account record.  It is the child of the Account entity.  I have made the
Contact entity a referential child of 'Special Account Information' so it can
have its own contacts, whether entered new or selected from the existing
contacts in the system.

I am working with the main application form.  I am displaying all the custom
attributes for the 'Special Account Information' record.  I would like to
have a section of the form display four fields from each of all the contacts
that exist associated with this 'Special Accoutn info' record.

Somthing like:
Contact name: Contact Title: Contact Manager: Contact Type
Contact name: Contact Title: Contact Manager: Contact Type
Contact name: Contact Title: Contact Manager: Contact Type

Idealy, I'd like the Contact records returned in an org chart type order,
where the Manager field is used as a grouping under which all contact
reporting to that manager are listed next. I would use a single field
numbering system somewheres on the contact record to create a hierarchy of
contact presentation.  Enter 1 for highest level of management ; 2 for second
level, etc, - Basically trying to create a hirerarchy of client contacts
within an account to display on the form.

I am thinking of an event that would run a script 'on opening' of the form,
to select the fields from the contact records, but I do not know how to write
Java Script.

Any help, sample scripts or suggestions will be appriciated.

Thanks,

Paul

0
PaulJ (12)
9/17/2009 3:54:02 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

On Sep 17, 8:54=A0am, Paul J. <Pa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello - =A0I am trying to get multiple contact entitys to display on a cu=
stom
> entity form.
>
> I have created a custom entity called 'Special Account information' It ha=
s a
> number of custom attributes that we do not wish to add directly to the
> account record. =A0It is the child of the Account entity. =A0I have made =
the
> Contact entity a referential child of 'Special Account Information' so it=
 can
> have its own contacts, whether entered new or selected from the existing
> contacts in the system.
>
> I am working with the main application form. =A0I am displaying all the c=
ustom
> attributes for the 'Special Account Information' record. =A0I would like =
> have a section of the form display four fields from each of all the conta=
cts
> that exist associated with this 'Special Accoutn info' record.
>
> Somthing like:
> Contact name: Contact Title: Contact Manager: Contact Type
> Contact name: Contact Title: Contact Manager: Contact Type
> Contact name: Contact Title: Contact Manager: Contact Type
>
> Idealy, I'd like the Contact records returned in an org chart type order,
> where the Manager field is used as a grouping under which all contact
> reporting to that manager are listed next. I would use a single field
> numbering system somewheres on the contact record to create a hierarchy o=
> contact presentation. =A0Enter 1 for highest level of management ; 2 for =
second
> level, etc, - Basically trying to create a hirerarchy of client contacts
> within an account to display on the form.
>
> I am thinking of an event that would run a script 'on opening' of the for=
m,
> to select the fields from the contact records, but I do not know how to w=
rite
> Java Script.
>
> Any help, sample scripts or suggestions will be appriciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Paul,

The easiest way to get information from the "many" end to appear on
the entity form on the "one" end, is to use an iFrame.  There are many
step-by-step posts and blogs showing how to easily create an iFrame
and display the Associated View of an entity in that iFrame, with very
little (and pretty easy, cut and paste) Javascript coding.  (This is
the one I'd recommend:  http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2008/06/embe=
dded-grid-o.html)

Then, you simply have to make the Associated View for contacts show
those four fields, and you have the basic information you're looking
for.

If you're determined to have a hierarchy view, I'd look at buying an
ISV's product.  There are several that will do this.  This type of
functionality requires .Net coding, another level of complexity above
Javascript.

HTH,
Dave

David L. Carr, President
Visionary Software Consulting, Inc.
Cell: 503-351-4207
Email: davidlcarr@earthlink.net
http://www.vscrm.com

0
davidlcarr (94)
9/18/2009 7:41:27 AM
Thanks Dave - I've used iFrame, but thought they had to be associated with a
web site - I'll go take a look at your recommedned coding. One question
though, if I change the Contact associated view for this purpose, that will
be the associated view for contacts wherever thay are accessed? - Even
outside this form/iFrame,, correct?

Thanks again.

Paul

"Dave" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Paul,
>
> The easiest way to get information from the "many" end to appear on
> the entity form on the "one" end, is to use an iFrame.  There are many
> step-by-step posts and blogs showing how to easily create an iFrame
> and display the Associated View of an entity in that iFrame, with very
> little (and pretty easy, cut and paste) Javascript coding.  (This is
> the one I'd recommend:  http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2008/06/embedded-grid-o.html)
>
> Then, you simply have to make the Associated View for contacts show
> those four fields, and you have the basic information you're looking
> for.
>
> If you're determined to have a hierarchy view, I'd look at buying an
> ISV's product.  There are several that will do this.  This type of
> functionality requires .Net coding, another level of complexity above

0
PaulJ (12)
9/18/2009 12:11:03 PM
On Sep 18, 5:11=A0am, Paul J. <Pa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > The easiest way to get information from the "many" end to appear on
> > the entity form on the "one" end, is to use an iFrame. =A0There are man=
> > step-by-step posts and blogs showing how to easily create an iFrame
> > and display the Associated View of an entity in that iFrame, with very
> > little (and pretty easy, cut and paste) Javascript coding. =A0(This is
> > the one I'd recommend: =A0http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2008/0=
6/embedded-grid-o.html)

> > Then, you simply have to make the Associated View for contacts show
> > those four fields, and you have the basic information you're looking
> > for.
>
> > If you're determined to have a hierarchy view, I'd look at buying an
> > ISV's product. =A0There are several that will do this. =A0This type of
> > functionality requires .Net coding, another level of complexity above

Paul,
That is correct, there is unfortunately only 1 associated view...
Although that's the only solution I've seen proposed, it might be
possible to get it to work with a custom view, too...  Good luck,
Dave

David L. Carr, President
Visionary Software Consulting, Inc.
Cell: 503-351-4207
Email: davidlcarr@earthlink.net
http://www.vscrm.com

0
davidlcarr (94)

Adding numbers
Hi I have a spreadsheet whereby I need to add numbers together from areas. A1: 1171 A2: 4202 A3: 1698 A4: 2801 A5: 4146 A6: 5100 A7: 5000 A8: 4287 A9: 4405 I want to enter a formula into A11 that allows me to add cells A1:A and A7:A9. I have entered the following formula but get value# error: =sum(A1:A3)+(A7:A9) Sorry but my excel is not very good. Thank you in advance for your help -- sue ----------------------------------------------------------------------- suet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=107 View this thread: http://www.e...

Adding to existing file
is it possible to have a Publisher file and insert another file within the first one. Ex: file 1 is open and has two pages in it. I then want to insert file #2 (Which has 3 pages in it) and make my document have a total of 5pages now???? Hi david (friedman@peace-inc.org), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || is it possible to have a Publisher file and insert another || file within the first one. || || Ex: file 1 is open and has two pages in it. || || I then want to insert file #2 (Which has 3 pages in it) || and make my document have a total of 5pages now???? No David, you cannot...

OL2003 can't display custom forms from OL2002
I had a bunch of custom forms I used in OL2002. I upgraded to OL2003, and they all seemed to work ok. I added Business Contact Manager, still worked fine. Removed BCM, and now none of the custom forms work. Any ideas? Cleared the forms cache - that worked. "jg70124" <jg70124 at yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uwFL$qvqDHA.2964@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I had a bunch of custom forms I used in OL2002. > > I upgraded to OL2003, and they all seemed to work ok. > > I added Business Contact Manager, still worked fine. > > Removed BCM, and now none of the...

Use horizontal column titles in list box (VBA form)
Hi. I have a sheet with 10 data columns with titles like product id, product name, stock, price etc. I have named the range of titels col_titles. When I try to assign col_titles as the Row source of a list box in a VBA form, the titles will not show in a list, but appears when I set the colum count to 10... Is there a easy way to transpose a named range, so it will fit as a Row source for a list box? Alternative, could anyone give me the correct VBA code to popultae a listbox based on a horizontal "array" of column titles in a sheet? Any hints appreciated Kind regards Mr. S...

Big problem with Exchange 2000 Information store (STORE.EXE)
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C41DC1.87514380 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1250" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable =20 Hello =20 For the last few days, we=92re having a huge problem with performance of = our Exchange 2000 server (sp3 installed) running on Windows 2000 Server = (with SP4), dual CPU 500 MHz, 512 MB RAM. The STORE.EXE process is using about 110 MB of RAM and the CPU = performance is always above 50-60%. (store.exe is using min 50%). During = work day, the CPU has risen to 100%, so all of our compa...

HELP!!! Deleting "misplaced" files inside System Volume Information Folder (in external HDD)
Guys, The title pretty much says what I am having trouble with. I am not technically gifted that's why if you guys could help me out, I'd really really appreciate it. Here's the problem, I accidentally dragged a huge amount of file inside the System Volume Information of my external hdd. I tried the old posts somewhat addressing the similar problem (even went to the extent of installing windirstat) just to try and delete the unnecessary files but I still couldn't remove it from the folder. I am using Vista if this would help. Also, if its best that I delete the S...

Outlook 2000 Contacts #2
I had to reinstall my Windows 2000 operating system, where the operating systems was affected not my files. But my problem is that all of my contacts are no longer in my outlook, which is understandable, but what is the name of the file that maintains the Outlook contacts so that I can tranfer that file to my new outlook. I would greatly appreciate the assistance. Thank you. Do not import, use File->Open. The file has a .pst extension. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus...

Log Database Opening without a Form
Is there anyway to log an entry each time a MDB is opened without a form. e.g. log an entry even if a user presses the "Shift" key when opening the DB. hi, On 02.02.2010 17:35, rm wrote: > Is there anyway to log an entry each time a MDB is opened without a > form. e.g. log an entry even if a user presses the "Shift" key when > opening the DB. No, not really. mfG --> stefan <-- Since the purpose of the "Shift" bypass is to bypass the normal startup, anything you put into the normal startup for logging purposes would get, well, ...

Public Information Store Database
We're running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on NT 4. In the Outlook client, when I right click on All Public Folders, it says total size of all folders is not quite 3 GB. However, on the server, the pub.edb says it is over 7.5 GB. Where's that other 4.5GB of space? There's not much in deleted files retention, very little. We're not sure what is going on, we only have 25MB free white space after online defrags are performed so we're very concerned. I am also having trouble with archiving public folders where I receive an error during archiving saying I dont have permissi...

Renaming a file using an input form
I have a table field that the user can input text into using a Form. I want to use: Name oldfilename As NewFileName action to change the name of a file based on what they input. I am having a terrible time getting the Name action to read (lookup) the table field name. I am getting runtime error 53 'File Not Found' Here is my code: Dim OldFileName, NewFileName As String OldFileName = "C:\ORCAS Backup\BackupORCAS.accdb" NewFileName = "C:\ORCAS Backup\" & DLookup("[BackupFileName]", "Company Name Table", "[BackupFileName...

Visual changes of the forms?
How do I change the way the form displays? Like a font change, or change ofhte default sizes of the text boxes? Hi Andrija, This is not possible by default. You can do this unsupported by modifying the css files. You can find those in the /_common/styles/ folder. Hope this helps, -- Ronald Lemmen Avanade Netherlands http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/ "Andrija" wrote: > How do I change the way the form displays? Like a font change, or change > ofhte default sizes of the text boxes? Thanks Ronald, Is there a way to control the placement of the elements on the form? The...

Business Contact Manager #22
does the standalone Outlook 2003 come with BCM or no; 3rd time in three days posted, or does it only come when Outlook is bundled with office of the appropriate version???? http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/howtobuy/compare.mspx --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, j higson asked: | does the standalone Outlook 2003 come with BCM or no; 3rd | ti...

Form does not display all records in a table
2007 Up to date Recently inherited an Access database with 8 separate tables. A series of forms were developed to aid users to Add/Modify/Delete records. There is a table called "Utility Vendors" There is a form called "Utility Vendors" After activating the form, I have access to all the records in the table "Utility Vendors" except for one record. The fields in this record contain accurate data and the record is toggled "active". FYI, I did enter the data in the "missing" record directly into the table (not via the form) I do not bel...

Forms question
I have to create an Access program. Basically I need to create one table and form in which information namely school marks (total mark) will be entered. Second this information is then relayed to a second person who tallies up the subtests and enters another number in another total column probably on another form. At the end of the day this number should be the same as the number entered by the first person. If it's not we need to display an error message or warning. Please help. How can I accomplish this (2 forms, one main one sub linked on a query which will update it as it is ent...

User Form Still Trying
Hi All In Excel I have a customer list of Name/Address/ Contact info etc - which individually appear in text boxes in User Form1 when scrolling down the list -works OK. For security reasons I want to issue each customer a permit to show on entering the premises. I have opened a new sheet in the workbook and inserted a new User Form2 with 6 text boxes which are an exact copy from User Form1.(which has 37 text boxes) Is it possible?? when clicking on a customers details in User Form1 that the 6 text boxes and assume they are numbered 1-6 could link or paste to User Form2. Any help m...

Closing Form causes a requery?
Hello All i have a main form that has a list box on it that uses a query to allow the user to pick records to see on the main form. there are a bunch of combo boxes and text boxes that the query uses as criteria to allow users to filter the query. it was working fine, then i added a new filter box. the filtering still works fine, but now when a user hits the exit button, which causes a docmd.quit, it starts poping up parameter dialogs for each text box that i use to put criteria in the query fields. it still exits, it just pops up these boxes. i took out the entire criteri...

.mac sync of entourage data: mail, contacts, calendar, projects
Does anyone know how to get all the key entourage information to sync to .Mac so you can keep all this info up to date on several machines via .Mac? (like you can with Apple's Address book and Mail). I think you can hack some of it with e2sync, but it would be great to have all key entourage info sync to multiple devices. No--you should search the entourage ng archives and repost there if you find nothing--there are more entourage experts there than on this group. http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage There are (paid) scripts to sync entourage to iCal and ...

Auto Register Contacts by contact type
Take a look at this loaded question. I have frmEventRegistration which is based on tblevents. I would like to create two buttons on the form. One would automatically register all contacts from tblLeaders where LPosition is 2. The other button would automatically register all contacts from tblLeaders where LActive is -1. Here is a breakdown of exactly what I am working with tblLeaders (LeaderID, LFirstName, LActive, LPosition, etc.) tblEvents (EventId, EventDate, EventName, etc.) tblEventRegistration (ERegistrationID, EventID, LeaderID, etc.) frmEvents (based on tblEvents) sfrmEventRegi...

"Control Toolbar" and "Forms" in Excel
In MS Excel , Under "View" ====> "Toolbars", what's the difference between "Control Toolbar" and "Forms" ? It seems they are very similar . Thanks. For ease of use I suggest using the forms toolbar -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Brian" <brian@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:u%23Q7q96QHHA.3412@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > In MS Excel , Under "View" ====> "Toolbars", what's the difference > between "Control Toolbar" and "Forms" ? >...

OWA Forms and SSL
Hello, I've setup a certificate on my Exchagne 2003 server. I have forms-based authentication on. Within IIS I have require ssl on and 128 bit on. Problem is, I can't get my IE to actually log in with https://mailserver If I turn it all off...everything works, but no splash screen obviously. Anything I might be missing? thanks Sean Did you try "https://servername/exchange" Did you install the certificate on the website? Are you getting the Certificate pop up when you try to access the website? What error is the website giving you? Just a couple of things I had to do w...

Show Public Folder Contacts in Outlook contacts list drop down.
Hello, I was wondering how to add a public folder in Exchange 2003 that was setup for contacts to show up when composing an email in Outlooks contacts list. Thank you, Russ Right click the PF and select Properties. Go to the Outlook Address Book tab and check the "Show this folder as an email Addess Book" field. It should appear under the Address Book drop down. "VIT" wrote: > Hello, > > I was wondering how to add a public folder in Exchange 2003 that was setup > for contacts to show up when composing an email in Outlooks contacts list. > > T...

Loosing contact with Exchange Server.
Hi. I have a user that is loosing the connection to our exchange server while he is connected to the local network. He is running Outlook2003 with rpc over https as connection methode to our Exchange2003 server. The internet connection is ok and no other network problems. Any idea what the problem is? Dag N ...

using 'bold' in a continuous form
I have a bound subform that shows records in continuous view. The first field is txtEmpID. Another field is txtGroup. If txtGroup has the focus, I'd like the corresponding value of txtEmpID to be 'bold'. I tried using 'txtEmpID.fontbold = True' in txtGroup's Got Focus event, but this 'bolds' txtEmpID in all records. I'd appreciate any clues Terry Assuming Access 2000 or later, you can use Conditional Formatting. You can't use code, because the code does affect all rows. Right-click the control in form design view to set up CF. -...

Opening form using hotkey
Hi Is it possible to use a hot key to open a form and then open the find box? Thanks Regards John, Take a look at the following posts they should point you in the right direction. http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.databases.ms-access/browse_thread/thread/dabef9a5b2289a59/ae95e1835fe26984 http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.access.formscoding/browse_thread/thread/7961a45c075f43a8/d90f4236e7b11b3b -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault If this post was helpful, please rate it by using the vote buttons. "John" wrote: > Hi > > Is it possible to use a ho...

3 linked combo boxes in a form Options
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, the option you suggested did not produce the desired result. Perhaps if I explain further what I am trying to do, you can offer some alternatives. Shopcbo based on Shopqry based on Shoptbl. Columns in the table are ShopName and ShopID. The shop same is self explanatory. The shop ID is a field a created to match up with a field in the equipment table. Areacbo based on Areaqry based on Areatbl. Columns in the table are AreaName, AreaLink and ShopName. The area link is a field created to identify each area that a piece of equipment belongs to...