Add attribute for Competitor related to an Opportunity

I’d like to add a custom field attribute for the Competitor entity that is
used when relating it to the Opportunity. This field would be “$” value field
that is used for recording a Competitor’s price for a specific Opportunity.
Here’s an example of how it would be used:

Opportunity A has two competitors associated with it. Each competitor would
need to have a price field that would show how much they charge for this
related opportunity:
Competitor 1- Price = $200
Competitor 2- Price = $350

Opportunity B also has two of the same competitors but they have a price
that is related for this opportunity.
Competitor 1-Price = $468
Competitor 2-Price = $600

By having this price attribute, I can see what prices my competitors were
charging in each opportunity.  Currently, I can only add competitors to an
opportunity and other associated information of the competitor.  I would like
to add a field to record a price that is for each competitor related to a
selected opportunity.

Any advice on how this can be accomplished?
0
daryl1 (38)
2/2/2010 11:38:01 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

On Feb 2, 3:38=A0pm, daryl <da...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I=92d like to add a custom field attribute for the Competitor entity that=
 is
> used when relating it to the Opportunity. This field would be =93$=94 val=
ue field
> that is used for recording a Competitor=92s price for a specific Opportun=
ity.
> Here=92s an example of how it would be used:
>
> Opportunity A has two competitors associated with it. Each competitor wou=
ld
> need to have a price field that would show how much they charge for this
> related opportunity:
> Competitor 1- Price =3D $200
> Competitor 2- Price =3D $350
>
> Opportunity B also has two of the same competitors but they have a price
> that is related for this opportunity.
> Competitor 1-Price =3D $468
> Competitor 2-Price =3D $600
>
> By having this price attribute, I can see what prices my competitors were
> charging in each opportunity. =A0Currently, I can only add competitors to=
 an
> opportunity and other associated information of the competitor. =A0I woul=
d like
> to add a field to record a price that is for each competitor related to a
> selected opportunity.
>
> Any advice on how this can be accomplished?

Daryl,
The reason you can't do this OOB is that opportunity and competitor
are related as a "Many to Many" relationship in CRM.  When an N:N
relationship is defined, you can only associate two records in the
related entities.  There is no "intersection entity" that you can add
attributes to.  Fortunately, you can solve this problem by creating a
new custom intersection entity, which you can then customize to add
the competitor price field to it.  Try these steps (in a test
environment, of course, as you may not be thrilled with the resulting
UI, although it does accomplish your goal):

1) Remove the OOB N:N between Opportunity and Competitor.
2) Add a new custom entity (named, e.g. "OpportunityCompetitor").
(OC)
3) Add your custom price field to that new OC entity.  (And you may
want to make the 'Name' field not business required).
4) Add a N:1 relationship from Opportunity to OC.  (Each Opportunity
can have many OC's) Make it visible on both sides.
5) Add a N:1 relationship from Competitor to OC. (Each Competitor can
have many OC's).  Make it visible again on both sides.
6) Modify the associated view for the OC, placing the Opportunity and
OC lookups, and the price field on that view. (You may want to remove
the Name field).
7) On the OC form, add the lookup fields for Opportunity and
Competitor, and your Price field from this new entity.
8) Publish All Customizations

Now, when you go to your opportunity, you will see the name you gave
to the OC side of the OC to Opportunity link in the Left hand nav bar,
like any other 1:N relationship on the opportunity,  Now you can Add a
New OC to this opportunity.  Select the current Opportunity, Select
the Competitor, input the price, and save.  Repeat for the other
competitor.  When you look at this opportunity, and click on the OC
link, you will see these two records, which will show you each
competitor, and the price they charge.  (Better yet, on the Competitor
record, you will also have an OC left nav bar link.  On this, you will
see all of the OC's this Competitor has been associatd with, and you
can open opportunities to see.

You might also want to add a "Result" field to your custom entity that
would have values like "We won", or "Competitor Won"...  I know you
can add this info when you close the opportunity, but it might be nice
to see on an opportunity as well.  You could then more easily do
queries such as "show me where we won where both Competitor A and B
were against us".

HTH,
Dave

David L. Carr, President
Visionary Software Consulting, Inc.
Cell: 503-351-4207
Email: davidlcarr@earthlink.net
http://www.vscrm.com
0
davidlcarr (94)

Add marketing list members doesn't show do not bulk e-mail field?
New CRM user having a struggle with accessing the do not bulk e-mail field in an advanced search for new members. Basically it doesn't show as an available field to select. Hi Pat, Only searchable attributes appear in advanced find and, for one reason or another, bulk email flag is not searchable by default. Go to Customizations, open Account entity, go to Attributes, open donotbulkemail attribute. Change Searchable dropdown to yes, save and publish. If you don't see Searchable dropdown on attribute form, make sure that you applied latest rollup. I think this was added in Ro...

How to add "Add existing..." button link in custom entity form?
Hi, I created a custom entity called ClassSchedule which has a parental, 1-Many relationship with Contact. Now, when I add new ClassSchedule, in the form, and click the Contact link, I want to have a button "Add Existing Contact" instead of just adding new contact in my ClassSchedule. Please advise on how to go about it. Thanks! ...

Add SMTP Address
Is there an easy way to add an additional SMTP address to several mailboxes, but not all of them? Exchange 2003 SP2. Thank you, BM Hi, you may create a global group for all of these users. Then, you can create a new recipient policy with a custom filter to add the SMTP address based on the group membership. Use for example an ldap filter like this: (&(&(&(&(objectCategory=*)(memberOf=CN=SMTP Users,OU=Entreprise,DC=ms,DC=local))))) Thierry Frache "BM" <BM@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 9EABE1F4-202F-42B0-8A15-ABFF7827CC97@mi...

How do I add a groupwise email account to outlook?
I am a beginner when it comes to internet email, I can send and recieve easily using my Novell groupwise account whilst at college and I can also access this on the net whilst at home but it would be much easier if I could add my account as an email account in outlook. I have no knowledge of what a POP2 or IMAP server is and have been left stumped by all the options I'm asked when trying to acheive this set-up. I haven't found any useful information on the internet would anybody be able to help me? "Dan1500" <Dan1500@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

How to add colum totals to a pivot chart data table
I have a chart for pivot table and would like to so totals for the data. The data table on the chart displays the pivot table data but not the totals for each column. How can the totals be displayed on the chart? Hi Tmarsh You can't include the Grand Total in a pivot chart. You could create a normal chart, based on the pivot table, and include the totals in that. On Jon Peltier's site, there are instructions for creating a normal chart from pivot data: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotcharts.htm Regards, Pedro J. > I have a chart for pivot table and would like to s...

Add-in to create basic canned answers ?
Hi, I sell a lot on ebay, and I get many exact questions from buyers. I use Outlook 2003 and I have a little FAQ based on Outlooks signatures... this solution is not that good as I wanted it to be, since I need a faster access to it and a little more flexibilty. Does anybody know of a basic add-in I can buy that could help me out ?? I don't need fancy things, just flexible canned answering. Thanks Alex See if this product meets your needs: http://www.emailtemplates.com/et/ I'm not sure it works with Outlook 2003 though. You can ask them about that. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] ...

VBA
In VBA, how I can avoid that a user add a new line in a grid thansk in advance Cesar Add the User ID (Toolbar) to your VBA project. Test for the user id before allowing the line to be updated and then you can keep them from doing it. Lelsie "Cesar" wrote: > In VBA, how I can avoid that a user add a new line in a grid > > thansk in advance > > Cesar ...

How do I copy a formula with relative ref. keeping the same ref.?
How do I copy cells with relative references into other cells kepping the same references? e.g. cell A3 has the formula A1+A2. A6 has the formula A4+A5. I want to copy A3 and A4 into A15 and A16 in order to have A15 with the formula A1+A2 and A16 with the same formula as A6 (A4+A5). Hi Change the formula to =$A$1+$A$2 Look also in the Excel help -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "avjunior" <avjunior@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:38ACCFCC-04D7-4921-B45C-B49BAB29D474@microsoft.com... > How do I copy cells with relative references i...

Unable to add a new record in a subform datasheet
I have three tables, Owners, Parcels, and Ownership. Owner has and Owner_ID and several fields of owner information. Parcel has a Parcel_ID and several fields of information. Ownership is a junction table that matches these two IDs. I have created a form that displays the owner data in the main form and then all of the parcels for that owner in the subform. I would like to be able to add new parcels in the subform. When I try to do this, I get an error message, "Field cannot be updated." I checked the control properties, and the subform and its controls are not locked. Can ...

Can Lookup Attributes be Updated using CRM 4.0 Data Import?
I wrote some code that uses the CRM 4.0 Data Import functionality to process files that create and update data for custom entities I have created. It was confusing to figure out because of the sparse documentation but it seemed to be working nicely until I noticed that when ImportModeCode is Update the entity attributes that are Lookups don't seem to be getting updated. For example, I created a custom entity named new_lease that has a new_territoryid lookup attribute that looks up it's data from the territory entity. The code populates the new_territoryid value when importing leases...

Query to add fake records from table
I have a table that contains real data and then I have a table that has dummy data that is needed for another program that I'm sending the file too. I need to figure how to put them in the same colunm in the table. Here is my statement. "Station Name & Item: [DBA_DEVICES]![deviceName] & " " & [DBA_ITEMS]![itemId] NEW [DocFinity Fake Records]![Station Name] & " " & [DocFinity Fake Records]![Item]" Where the 'NEW' is that is where I need to enter my other data is the same colunm. Below is what I'm trying to a...

"Send As" add-in for Word?
Open Office has a really good feature in that you can do a "Send As" a Microsoft Word 97-2003 document with no reference to the format of the document that is being edited. This would be a really good feature for Office 2007 and upwards because it doesn't affect the base document format at all. This means that (for example) I can open a docx document and do a "Send As" ..doc document without having to do a "Save As" first. Does anyone know of an add-in that could replicate such a feature? Word 2007 already includes this ability. Set the defau...

Opportunity won/loss categories
I am trying to modify the form that will be displayed when you close the opportunity. Especially the drop-down field that will be displayed when status = loss. This was possible in previous version, but I haven´t found the way to do it in 3.0. Any suggestions? ...

URGENT
Hello Everybody, Is there a way that I can specify a ":" using System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute? If I type in System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("X:Y"), the output xml renders as X_003A_Y - Any suggestions/ideas would be really helpful. Regards, Chris Hello! > Is there a way that I can specify a ":" using > System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute? If I type in > System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("X:Y"), the output xml > renders as X_003A_Y - Any suggestions/ideas would be really helpful. That's ...

How do I add periods to complete a word in a cell?
For example: brian......... angela...... bob.......... Assume your names are in the range A1:A1000, enter this formula in B1 (array formula so enter it with Ctrl+Shift+Enter) and drag down: =CONCATENATE(A1,REPT(".",MAX(LEN($A$1:$A$1000))-LEN(A1))) -- Regards, Dave "Renee R." wrote: > For example: > > brian......... > angela...... > bob.......... Renee, I think you're asking how to get Excel to complete a cell with known values (like Brian's full name when you've only started to type it). But I'm not at all sure. If so, post back...

Demo / Rental Add-on Available???
Does anyone know of a rental / demo add-on for RMS? I own a sports store and we let people demo certain products before they buy. Any demo fees get applied toward a purchase. Is this feature feasable? Stringers wrote: > Does anyone know of a rental / demo add-on for RMS? I own a sports store and > we let people demo certain products before they buy. Any demo fees get > applied toward a purchase. Is this feature feasable? Yes, RMS provide a demo database that work for 60days and with 5 items for transaction.. contact ms partner for cdrom or link to download it. antonio ...

how can i add toolbar button on the fly( with tooltip )
i want to add button to the toolbar dynamicly and set button text(but i don't want the text to be shown), and i need tooltip, i know how to add butto now ,but i can't implement the later requirements. anyone can help me? There is a ton of toolbar related info here: http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/toolbar/ Look at using the GetToolTips() function in CToolBarCtrl to get the tooltip control and then set the tip for the button using that. Tom "jimmy" <jimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B54F0C8F-C615-435F-8DD1-AC2FF0DABEE9@microsoft.com... &g...

problem related macro
how we can execute macro tell me -- from sneha Hey guys!! Just wanted 2 tell you that...Jessie has already made pain's. talk 2 her. Bye! Gabri. "sneha karwal" <barbie_3883@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eEXOS9TeKHA.5568@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > how we can execute macro tell me > > > > > -- > from sneha > > "sneha karwal" <barbie_3883@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eEXOS9TeKHA.5568@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > how we can execute macro tell me > > > > > -- > f...

How do I sum times to get a total hour value? If I add up to 24 h.
I am trying to create a timesheet that totals daily hours then totals those hours. When the sub totals raech 24 they displayed total shows as 0 instead of 24. Thus a 40 hour week shows as 16 (40 - 24) . Any help willl be appreciated.. Michael On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:29:02 -0800, "Mico" <Mico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to create a timesheet that totals daily hours then totals those >hours. When the sub totals raech 24 they displayed total shows as 0 instead >of 24. Thus a 40 hour week shows as 16 (40 - 24) . Any help willl be >appreciated...

Fap Turbo
http://fapturbot.blogspot.com/ FAP Turbo is the best automated forex robot on the marketplace. In fact it was consider as the best forex trading system that can double or even triple your trading account within minutes of using it. This trading can give you huge amount of income even when you are asleep. I know that you are skeptical about this, but you have to believe me FAP Turbo is not the usual hyped that you had seen on the marketplace. It is something that actually works, something that you can depend on to substantiate your trading income and free you from financial worries. If you are...

View question: related to grouping and sorting
I have a view where I am using "Group By" on a single field. I would like to have the view sorted based on the number of messages in the groups. Can this be done? Thanks, Frank ...

Error when creating an attribute
Hi all, I just installed MS CRM Server(Small business Server).When I create an attrribute and try to save it I get the following error: Line:92 Char:1 Error:could not complete the operation due to error 80020101 I also tried to solve it by installing rollup 1 update but still given problems. Thanks in advance -- donn ...

Import data to contact table and create record in related table
I have two tables. One contains contact data and the other contains status information that is related to the contact data. I need to be able to import data into the contact table and create a default record in the status table linked back to the contact record. Any ideas? "bkaufman" <bkaufman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8AD4C186-5BFD-46C7-BE05-1253595296FA@microsoft.com... >I have two tables. One contains contact data and the other contains status > information that is related to the contact data. I need to be able to > import > data into...

how can I add proofreading comments in Publisher documents?
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 03:46:03 +0100, Naomi wrote (in article <58420F6A-8BD2-426C-B809-3F7F98B24C29@microsoft.com>): > And I see you're another who can't follow the simplest of instructions written in the plainest of English. Before posting again, do read MS's guidelines. Makes it easier all round - some servers will scrap posts with empty bodies, therefore it's in your own best interests. On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 03:59:23 +0100, magrat_garlick@hotmail.com wrote: >On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 03:46:03 +0100, Naomi wrote >(in article <58420F6A-8BD2-426C-B809-3F7F98...

Solver Add-in #4
I need the Solver Add-in for Excel (XP Professional 2002), but it is not on the CD that came with my computer. The CD I have is Microsoft Office XP Version 2002 Service Pack 1. First of all, am I looking at the right CD? None of the others appear to be what I'm looking for. Secondly, Solver is not on this CD. How do I get it? I need it ASAP for my statistics class... Please help! Thank you! Cindy Cindy - You need to find your original CD. I believe the Service Pack only has the updated parts, not all of the installation files. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP...