active directory, exchange, crm - where to put?

I am trying to figure out the best way to allocate to minimal amount of
hardware the following components: active directory, exchange, crm (1+
installations), virtual server, etc.

if I had only 2 actual servers, which one should have active directory,
exchange, sql server, crm, virtual servers, etc.Should all CRM
instances go onto virtual servers?

should I use redundant disk on both servers?

Also what is the best approach for windows updates in production
environment? could they cause problems, crashes, etc.? I recently had a
bugcheck x50 when tried running the security updates that were in the
queue (I already have sp1)

0
mobigital
11/6/2005 4:26:56 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

It is best to use three servers, one for AD, another for Exchange, and a
third for SQL and CRM.

If you had to just use two, you should take into account how much load will
be on the Exchange server and how much on AD.   Since it is easier to add a
new domain controller than it is to move MSX, I think that I would put AD and
SQL/CRM togehter.

Different instances of CRM will require separate servers.  You can use
virtual servers.

RAID is always a good idea for production servers.  Particularly AD, SQL and
MSX.

Everyone has a different opinion about Windows updates in a production
environment.  So, this is my view--  If you have adequate IT staff, or truly
run 24x7, it is best to apply updates manually during scheduled maintenance
periods.  However, for companies that set it and forget it, and dont mind an
occasional 3AM reboot, setting it to automatic is ok.
--
Bullitt Fitzhugh
Integrated Business Systems

"mobigital-ggrp@yahoo.com" wrote:

> I am trying to figure out the best way to allocate to minimal amount of
> hardware the following components: active directory, exchange, crm (1+
> installations), virtual server, etc.
>
> if I had only 2 actual servers, which one should have active directory,
> exchange, sql server, crm, virtual servers, etc.Should all CRM
> instances go onto virtual servers?
>
> should I use redundant disk on both servers?
>
> Also what is the best approach for windows updates in production
> environment? could they cause problems, crashes, etc.? I recently had a
> bugcheck x50 when tried running the security updates that were in the
> queue (I already have sp1)

CRM and SQL on AD is unsupported by Microsoft unless running the Small
Business Server configuration which has been optimized for this.  I would
recommend keeping AD seperate and running 3 seperate virtual server images (1
- Exchange, 1 - CRM/SQL, 1 - AD)

"Bullitt Fitzhugh" wrote:

> It is best to use three servers, one for AD, another for Exchange, and a
> third for SQL and CRM.
>
> If you had to just use two, you should take into account how much load will
> be on the Exchange server and how much on AD.   Since it is easier to add a
> new domain controller than it is to move MSX, I think that I would put AD and
> SQL/CRM togehter.
>
> Different instances of CRM will require separate servers.  You can use
> virtual servers.
>
> RAID is always a good idea for production servers.  Particularly AD, SQL and
> MSX.
>
> Everyone has a different opinion about Windows updates in a production
> environment.  So, this is my view--  If you have adequate IT staff, or truly
> run 24x7, it is best to apply updates manually during scheduled maintenance
> periods.  However, for companies that set it and forget it, and dont mind an
> occasional 3AM reboot, setting it to automatic is ok.
> --
> Bullitt Fitzhugh
> Integrated Business Systems
> www.ib-systems.com
>

> "mobigital-ggrp@yahoo.com" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to figure out the best way to allocate to minimal amount of
> > hardware the following components: active directory, exchange, crm (1+
> > installations), virtual server, etc.
> >
> > if I had only 2 actual servers, which one should have active directory,
> > exchange, sql server, crm, virtual servers, etc.Should all CRM
> > instances go onto virtual servers?
> >
> > should I use redundant disk on both servers?
> >
> > Also what is the best approach for windows updates in production
> > environment? could they cause problems, crashes, etc.? I recently had a
> > bugcheck x50 when tried running the security updates that were in the
> > queue (I already have sp1)

Agreed.  Separating AD and CRM/SQL with virtual servers is the correct way to
run them together on the same physical box.  And in a two server world,
putting MSX alone on the second server makes sense.
--

"Eric Boocock - ePartners" wrote:

> CRM and SQL on AD is unsupported by Microsoft unless running the Small
> Business Server configuration which has been optimized for this.  I would
> recommend keeping AD seperate and running 3 seperate virtual server images (1
> - Exchange, 1 - CRM/SQL, 1 - AD)
>
> "Bullitt Fitzhugh" wrote:
>
> > It is best to use three servers, one for AD, another for Exchange, and a
> > third for SQL and CRM.
> >
> > If you had to just use two, you should take into account how much load will
> > be on the Exchange server and how much on AD.   Since it is easier to add a
> > new domain controller than it is to move MSX, I think that I would put AD and
> > SQL/CRM togehter.
> >
> > Different instances of CRM will require separate servers.  You can use
> > virtual servers.
> >
> > RAID is always a good idea for production servers.  Particularly AD, SQL and
> > MSX.
> >
> > Everyone has a different opinion about Windows updates in a production
> > environment.  So, this is my view--  If you have adequate IT staff, or truly
> > run 24x7, it is best to apply updates manually during scheduled maintenance
> > periods.  However, for companies that set it and forget it, and dont mind an
> > occasional 3AM reboot, setting it to automatic is ok.
> > --
> > Bullitt Fitzhugh
> > Integrated Business Systems
> > www.ib-systems.com
> >

> > "mobigital-ggrp@yahoo.com" wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to figure out the best way to allocate to minimal amount of
> > > hardware the following components: active directory, exchange, crm (1+
> > > installations), virtual server, etc.
> > >
> > > if I had only 2 actual servers, which one should have active directory,
> > > exchange, sql server, crm, virtual servers, etc.Should all CRM
> > > instances go onto virtual servers?
> > >
> > > should I use redundant disk on both servers?
> > >
> > > Also what is the best approach for windows updates in production
> > > environment? could they cause problems, crashes, etc.? I recently had a
> > > bugcheck x50 when tried running the security updates that were in the
> > > queue (I already have sp1)

Everyone seems to be all for virtual servers, but what happened to the
promise of Windows Server 2003 to be so universal, and be able to run
everything you want on the same box!!!

When I went to Windows Server 2003 presentation, the main stressing
point was that you can concentrate all legacy apps on the server
without worrying about any contention, apps affecting each other etc.
Was that intent from the beginning to do this through Virtual Servers?

0
mobigital
11/7/2005 5:42:46 PM
I have (prior to posting this question) installed AD + Exchange + CRM
1.2 + SQL 2000
on the same windows server 2003 enterprise machine, and right after
installing SQL 2000 (before having chance to apply SQL 2000 Service
Pack) had a bugcheck x50 (page_fault_in_nonpaged_area) - stack pointing
at ntkrnl.exe.  Ms support suspected registry corruption to be the
culprit. I saw some corrupted entries that have words Crystal in keys,
not sure if Crystal caused it. Also some corrupted keys related to
bimaps. Bugchecked even in safe mode. Had to format drive and reinstall
OS. Same bugchecks started to occur after repeating the same
configuration. I wonder if this is a unique situation or anyone
experienced problems like that in similar configuration.

(I am in the middle of installing 3 virtual servers - one for AD,
another for CRM/SQL, another for exchange). I am thinking to not join
main host to the domain - since AD virtual host can start only after
main host, luckily windows 2003 under virtual server does not try to
grab all configured physical memory out of the main hosts's available
memory pool. (unlike XP).

0
mobigital
11/9/2005 8:44:38 PM
forget corruption - I ran the Microsoft's memory test for a few hours
on this box and it picked up memory errors. OCSystem DDR400. Seems
increasing voltage on ddr reduced number of errors, but need to replace
anyway.

0
mobigital
11/10/2005 4:20:00 PM
I think because there is a hard dependency between mailbox GUIDs
(stored in Active Directory) and mailbox store in exchange, it might
make sense to place AD and Exchange on the same virtual server? as
result I will have:
Virtual Server 1:    AD+Exchange
Virtual Server 2:    SQL + CRM 1.2
Virtual Server 3:    SQL + CRM 3.0
etc.
the host machine is not joined to a domain.
does this look reasonable?

0
mobigital
11/14/2005 5:15:15 PM
If this is for development/demo purposes, this setup should work fine.  I do
not recommend people use Virtual machines for production SQL.

In general though, if you are using just 2 servers for MS CRM, I recommend
AD & Exchange on 1 and CRM/SQL on the other.

BTW, CRM can work in a single server install (all 4 components on 1) in a
non-SBS environment, but there are potential problems.  Since it's not
supported, it's not a good idea for production.  As to the whole 2003 saves
the world, there are always trade-offs related to performance and stability
of combining multiple applicaitons on a server.  Will it work to have
Exchange/SQL/CRM  all on 1 machine:  Yes.  In general though, Exchange & SQL
are both resource hogs.  It is always best to seperate them if possible so
they don't compete with each other.

--

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

<mobigital-ggrp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I think because there is a hard dependency between mailbox GUIDs
(stored in Active Directory) and mailbox store in exchange, it might
make sense to place AD and Exchange on the same virtual server? as
result I will have:
Virtual Server 1:    AD+Exchange
Virtual Server 2:    SQL + CRM 1.2
Virtual Server 3:    SQL + CRM 3.0
etc.
the host machine is not joined to a domain.
does this look reasonable?

0
Matt

Remote Access or shared LAN access of Outlook without using Exchange Server ????
Currently I am accessing my desktop computer's installation of Outlook through Remote Desktop, from my laptop. I can do this while on the same LAN or remotely, through the internet. This however is not really ideal, as I run my desktop at QXGA resolution and my laptop has only a XGA screen. This means that when I get back home, all the windows on my desktop are all messed up and really small. What I would really like to do is be able to access remotely, in either one of the ways you can do using Exchange Server. I have a separate server machine (running Windows Server 2003 Stand...

How can I know which SP has been put on the exchange2K
Where can I see this msg? Thanks Open exchange manager, organization, right pane. "Geoffrey" <yile1978@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uvLLBUYwFHA.3312@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Where can I see this msg? > Thanks > check www.petri.co.il or check for the answer on the 10th(9th from ur posting)thread on this site,that is named"finding on version of sp installed" ...

Microsoft CRM server is not responding
Hi, Workflow Manager write: The specified Microsoft CRM server is not responding. This might happen if it is currently unavailable, it is not a Microsoft CRM server, or you are not a valid user. Fro more information, contact your system administrator. How fix it? In IE i can logon to CRM. ----- wbr, Eugene I've resolved this problem by restoring the metabase with the original version in IIS Regards Edgard Eugene wrote: > Hi, > > > Workflow Manager write: > > The specified Microsoft CRM server is not responding. This might happen if > it is currently un...

Restoring Exchange 2000 cluster to "standard" Exchange 2000 Enterp
Hi all, At the moment we are creating a "full" test environment built from backup tapes from our live environment. DC's are all up and running. Our 2000 native forest exists out of a top domain and 2 child domains. All DC's are running 2000 SP3 as well as the Exchange servers. Exchange servers are located in the child domains. In one of the child domains which is NL.top.net we have an Exchange cluster, 2 nodes active/active eg. These would be EX01 and EX02 and running EX04 and EX05. Since we unfortunately do not have a SAN in our test site I will not be able to do a DR...

Exchange 2000 DST Changes

Report CRM 3.0
Hi, I would need to find out the detailed procedure (step by step) to customize a report…. Could anybody inform about any links or documents concerning this issue? Thank's Marco I'm not sure if it's detailed enough, but the technical training manual has a section on creating and customizing reports. You can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/crm/using/whatsnewtechnical.mspx HTH, -- Jeffry van de Vuurst CWR Mobility www.cwrmobility.com -- "Marco Rocca" <Marco Rocca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEF80683-EC26-456C-82C...

Exchange 2003 OWA #6
Exchange 2003 OWA I would appreciate if someone would be able to help me. When I'm trying to access Exchange 2003 Server via OWA, I'm getting error "The folder can't be displayed. You do not have permission to perform this action" We also running Microsoft ISA Server. Thanks ...

Exchange Connector Wizard error

OL2003 (Exchange) and OE6 running in the same PC
We are currently upgrading our OS from W98SE to WinXP. Our VP is using Netscape v4.67 with dial-up to access his personal email from the ISP and Novell Groupwise for his internal corporate email. With the new WinXP, he will be authenticate to Active Directory and using Exchange 2003 (Outlook 2003) for corporate email. (Yep, no more Groupwise!!) I want to move him away from Netscape to OE6 (built-in with XP pro). During my test in the lab, for some reasons I can't have OE6 and OL2003 running at the same time. (I can launch either one but not both at the same time) He wants OE6 as his...

NNTP move to Exchange?
Hi, I'm having a problem with getting a NNTP feed from a INND 2.2.1 server to Exchange 2003; are there any known issues here? Has anyone done this type of migration before? What issues did you encounter? It seems as if Exchange just wants to pull down a few of the groups (of which we have over 100 internal) and even with that, not even pull all of the messages in from those few groups (it usually gets a few hundred messages). I'm using the basic NNTP wizards but everything looks to be configured correctly. Thanks, Dan ...

Exchange 5.5 to 2003 upgrade issue 3

How do I setup an SMTP gateway / smart host for Exchange 5.5 internet bound mail
My current setup has a Windows NT 4.0 Exchange 5.5 server setting on our company LAN behind a Microsoft ISA Server. The Exchange server's Internet Mail Connector binds to (I assume this is the proper terms) port 25 on the ISA server for inbound and outbound Internet Mail. Our company has finally upgraded to a new Cisco Pix Firewall which we are able to setup a DMZ on. The suggestion by our ISP is to setup an SMTP gateway in the DMZ and have our internal Exchange server send mail to it destined for the Internet. I am aware that most of the work for making the connections from the SMTP ...

"x" button enables deletion.... can we put a focus trigger there?
Hi, on three forms, I put focus triggers on the "delete" button because I need to validate some additional data before allowing the user to delete. However, if the user clicks on the corner "x" button to close the form and gets the dialogue box saying they have changes, do they want to "Save", "Delete" or "Cancel", they can delete the record anyways. Is there any way to put a focus trigger on the button of the dialogue box, or on the "x" button? Thanks in advance. I assume you are working with Dexterity. To work with an add...

CRM 4.0 Custom Report Filter Problem

Outlook...screen saver keeps kicking on during active sessions
My screen saver keeps turning on when using Outlook. I can be in the middle of typing a email and it will constantly go to the screen saver picture. I have the screen saver set to activate after 15 minutes of inactivity. Why does this do this??? Are there other places to adjust?? ...

Limiting CRM application ability to aasigning user to approprite CRM security group
IT administrator that I have for client does not like the idea of CRM application assigning user group automatically. They prefer to do the security group assignment manually. Is this possible? What do I need to do to achieve that? Thanks Kyaw Hi Kyaw, I did it the following way for a customer: 1) You will need to precreate the five groups within your AD. There is no need of having a own OU (Container, Organizational Unit) for them. Follow the naming convention of your company or use the default namings from Microsoft for the five groups. There is no need for your AD Admin to assig...

Outlook won't conect to Exchange
Client: XP pro, Office 2003 Pro Server: Server 2003 I cannot get a client's Outlook to connect to Exchange server--or at least I THINK that's the issue. I have tried everything that I and the sys admin can think of. We've even uninstalled and re-installed the whole of Office. Out of desparation, I tried something that I thought would probably not have any impact, but it worked--temporarily. I deleted the use's mail profile, and the application opened and displayed all the users mail! I thought I was pretty close to being home free, so then I closed Outlook and re-opened...

IF statement based on True/False that activates a certain list box
I've been asked to create a formula that will react to either "yes" or "no" entered into a cell which will show options in another cell based on a certain list. Example: Cells D3:D5 contain the values Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday (list named BegWeek) Cells E3:E5 contain the values Thursday, Friday, Saturday (list named EndWeek) Cell A3 accepts either "yes" or "no" entry only from a list If A3 = "Yes" then B3 will = drop down list BegWeek If A3 = "No" then B3 will = drop down list End Week I don't even know if thi...

How to relate an Activity to a group of contacts?
Is there a way to easily attach an Activity to multiple Contacts. For example, how can I attach the same Task to all the Contacts in New York? Selecting contact by contact is much to time consuming you would need to write an addon to do this. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "NBCRM" <NBCRM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:67F28655-9091-4E98-B971-AA37508A6DCD@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to easily attach an Activity to multiple Contacts. For > example, how can I attach the same Task to all the Contacts in New Yor...

Exchange Server C Drive No free space
Hi All, Need some advise. The Exchange Server during certain times C Drive will not have free space. I have check that during that period there is a temp file which will increase in size and takes up all the disk space in C. The file will not have any extension (the file name ex. T232C or R408). When this happened, the Exchange MTA service will stop, users will not able to send email. I have rum Spyware scan, Virus Scan, Online Virus scan, all seems to be cleaned). Anyone experience this before? Thanks in Advance for the help. -- Danny Chieng Technical Engineer On Wed, 26 Jul 2006...