Access to MS CRM data by non-licensed users

What is the best way for a non-licensed user to access MS CRM data?

Has anyone from Microsoft ever stated that you can access the MS CRM
SQL database directly with a SELECT statement and not break the
licence agreement?

Can anyone copy the MS CRM data into another database and access that
data without a license?

Can anyone use the MS CRM filtered views to either access the MS CRM
database directly or to make copies of the data?

Has anyone written an MS CRM add-on application that pass the
certification test which directly reads MS CRM data?

If the MS CRM license is only for the software, then all of the above
except for the filtered views should be ok.

0
richie
5/8/2007 2:29:27 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hi Richie,

I have had several discussions with microsoft about how to access data.
Based on these discussions I can tell that accessing the database directly is
not allowed and accessing the filtered views is allowed for reporting. But
when you access the filtered views, you need a license. What you can do, is
automatically create a report and place this report available for others to
download. Doing this is allowed as long as you the schedule is set to 24
hours or longer.

Hope this helps,
--
Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP
Avanade Netherlands

"richie.moore@richie-moore.com" wrote:

> What is the best way for a non-licensed user to access MS CRM data?
>
> Has anyone from Microsoft ever stated that you can access the MS CRM
> SQL database directly with a SELECT statement and not break the
> licence agreement?
>
> Can anyone copy the MS CRM data into another database and access that
> data without a license?
>
> Can anyone use the MS CRM filtered views to either access the MS CRM
> database directly or to make copies of the data?
>
> Has anyone written an MS CRM add-on application that pass the
> certification test which directly reads MS CRM data?
>
> If the MS CRM license is only for the software, then all of the above
> except for the filtered views should be ok.

What I heard recently is that MS is introducing a new type of license which
is a client for Office or Sharepoint, where these "users" can access certain
data or reports from Office or Sharepoint, without a "proper" license. I
believe those prices where something like € 130 for Office and some more for
Sharepoint.
Anyway, I don't know the specifics, but your Partner should know more soon.

"richie.moore@richie-moore.com" wrote:

> What is the best way for a non-licensed user to access MS CRM data?
>
> Has anyone from Microsoft ever stated that you can access the MS CRM
> SQL database directly with a SELECT statement and not break the
> licence agreement?
>
> Can anyone copy the MS CRM data into another database and access that
> data without a license?
>
> Can anyone use the MS CRM filtered views to either access the MS CRM
> database directly or to make copies of the data?
>
> Has anyone written an MS CRM add-on application that pass the
> certification test which directly reads MS CRM data?
>
> If the MS CRM license is only for the software, then all of the above
> except for the filtered views should be ok.

Hi Petra,

Do you have more information about this? I haven't heard about it before and
am very interested if this is indeed true.

Ronald
--
Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP
Avanade Netherlands

"petra" wrote:

> What I heard recently is that MS is introducing a new type of license which
> is a client for Office or Sharepoint, where these "users" can access certain
> data or reports from Office or Sharepoint, without a "proper" license. I
> believe those prices where something like € 130 for Office and some more for
> Sharepoint.
> Anyway, I don't know the specifics, but your Partner should know more soon.
>

> "richie.moore@richie-moore.com" wrote:
>
> > What is the best way for a non-licensed user to access MS CRM data?
> >
> > Has anyone from Microsoft ever stated that you can access the MS CRM
> > SQL database directly with a SELECT statement and not break the
> > licence agreement?
> >
> > Can anyone copy the MS CRM data into another database and access that
> > data without a license?
> >
> > Can anyone use the MS CRM filtered views to either access the MS CRM
> > database directly or to make copies of the data?
> >
> > Has anyone written an MS CRM add-on application that pass the
> > certification test which directly reads MS CRM data?
> >
> > If the MS CRM license is only for the software, then all of the above
> > except for the filtered views should be ok.

Well, the only thing I remember is that Heleen van Offenbeek (Business Group
Manager MS Business Applications) mentioned this on the User Event last June
6, and it was called "Microsoft Dynamics Client for Office/Sharepoint"
Sorry I don't have more...

Wat zitten hier trouwens veel Nederlanders! :)

petra

"Ronald Lemmen" wrote:

> Hi Petra,
>
> Do you have more information about this? I haven't heard about it before and
> am very interested if this is indeed true.
>
> Ronald
> --
> Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP
> Avanade Netherlands
> http://www.ronaldlemmen.com/
>

> "petra" wrote:
>
> > What I heard recently is that MS is introducing a new type of license which
> > is a client for Office or Sharepoint, where these "users" can access certain
> > data or reports from Office or Sharepoint, without a "proper" license. I
> > believe those prices where something like € 130 for Office and some more for
> > Sharepoint.
> > Anyway, I don't know the specifics, but your Partner should know more soon.
> >

> > "richie.moore@richie-moore.com" wrote:
> >
> > > What is the best way for a non-licensed user to access MS CRM data?
> > >
> > > Has anyone from Microsoft ever stated that you can access the MS CRM
> > > SQL database directly with a SELECT statement and not break the
> > > licence agreement?
> > >
> > > Can anyone copy the MS CRM data into another database and access that
> > > data without a license?
> > >
> > > Can anyone use the MS CRM filtered views to either access the MS CRM
> > > database directly or to make copies of the data?
> > >
> > > Has anyone written an MS CRM add-on application that pass the
> > > certification test which directly reads MS CRM data?
> > >
> > > If the MS CRM license is only for the software, then all of the above
> > > except for the filtered views should be ok.

how to delete a CRM user?
Hi All, Is there a way to delete an user from the CRM database? If I delete an user from the AD, it still exists in the CRM users. Regards, Zoran HI you can disable a user from the user settings.There are settings for enable/disable users regards Ritesh "Zoran" wrote: > Hi All, > > Is there a way to delete an user from the CRM database? > > If I delete an user from the AD, it still exists in the CRM users. > > Regards, > > Zoran > > > > You can disable only. -- Regards, MS CRM Certified Professional http://microsoftcrm3...

Prevent equation from skipping data when referencing import data?
I am referencing data that is being imported from access in table on a seperate worksheet. When the data is refreshed, only the last new entry is placed in my seperate table, not all of them. How do I fix this? ...

Input formulas in a defined data range and convert results as valu
Hi, I have a dataset for users to view data. It has the following format till year 2010 and have portions of topics like forecast, shipment, aging .... and the whole dataset can go very long vertically. Within each topics is the type of products measured, below is an extracts of my dataset: Forecast Accuracy Jan 2007 Feb 2007 Mar 2007 Apr 2007 Prod A x x x x Prod B x x x x Prod C ...

Microsoft Office X cannot start because MS Office is already in use
Sometimes Entourage 10.1.4 shows the message: "Microsoft Office X cannot start because MS Office is already in use. A Office program is being used by MYNAME. Your installation exceeds..." It's crazy because I'm the only user with OSX (10.3.2) and Office X is installed only on my Mac!!! It seems that it happens when Entourage run scheduled actions (i.e. Send and Receive). Pls help me. Thanx. -- Buz ...

IE crashing when using CRM 3
some users are experiencing a lot of IE crashes when using CRM3.0.5300.0 This is when clicking around the CRM and I have a screenshot of the CRM as it crashed if anyone needs this... The diagnostic is below: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?> <DATABASE> <EXE NAME="iexplore.exe" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY"> <MATCHING_FILE NAME="HMMAPI.DLL" SIZE="38912" CHECKSUM="0xD85D870C" BIN_FILE_VERSION="6.0.2900.2180" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="6.0.2900.2180" PRODUCT_VERSION="6.00....

Updating .nsf lotus notes server file
Hi, Using the below code i can fetch data from the .nsf file kept in the server. Dim LotusWizard As DAO.Recordset Dim session As Object Dim notesdb As Object Dim notesView As Object Dim NotesEntry As Object Dim notesdoc As Object Dim Item As NotesItem Dim doccollection As Object Dim datetime As NotesDateTime i = 0 Set session = CreateObject("Notes.NotesSession") Set notesdb = session.GetDatabase("Server", "path\file.nsf") 'Check if open If notesdb.IsOpen = True Then ...

2002 data merge
I have a database of 50 names that I would like to print out as individual labes on a standard 81/2" X 11" sheet of paper. I would like 10 labels per page and can work out the page layout in Publisher 2002. When I go to merge my Works database of the 50 names, I obviously only have one "field" to insert. As you can see where this is going, when I do my merge, I get a sheet with 10 labels of the same name. How do I get it to merge a different name in each label? I went to the following websites: http://www.kvalheim.org http://www.users.bigpond.com/auslandline/publisher/ and...

HOW TO EXTRACT (or lookup) DATA FROM A PIVOT TABLE
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C7032B.0406A590 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello! Sheet 1 contains the raw data. Sales and cost of sales for customers.=20 Sheet 2 contains the pivot table that summarizes the data in sheet 1.=20 In Sheet 3(a further summary of the Pivot Table), I would like to put in = the customer name and extract the related sales and cost of sales = numbers from the pivot table. How can I extract the desired information? Regards SJ ------=_NextPart_000_000...

licensing #2
Hello, can someone tell me the answer to my question, I"ve looked on the microsoft website with no luck or havn't found any information as of yet anyway. I'm new to the IT business, and work for myself as an IT professional repairing, upgrading, & troubleshooting pc's & networks, and my question is; is there a special license I can get so that when I do upgrades and upgrade the OS I could just have one package and install on many machines, versus going out and buying a new package for each pc which is time consuming and sometimes difficult to find, depending o...

User login not deleting in GP8.0
Hi have created a new user ID & given access to a company. After loggin into GP8.0 and log-off from the company, am unable to delete this above created user . A message is displayed saying "Cannot drop login as the user is currently logged in. Am using the 'sa' as the user when deleting. This is not true as user activity table is clear, other than the final user sa. From the backend, on delete of user from GP (Tools>System>User), only user ID is deled from each of the Databases, but the SQL login remains in the security folder. Hi Un check the SQL options in ...

Pivot Table accessing data from OLAP cube
Hi, I am creating a Pivot table using OLAP cube (in Excel 2007) on Windows Server 2003 OS and same Pivot Table using OLAP on Windows XP. The wierd problem i am facing is that on Windows Server 2003 OS, the moment I finish importing the cube, it shows me a screen like "Drop Row/Column Fields here" and on Windows XP, it simply shows the structure of Pivot table. Secondly,on functional side, if I email this spreadsheet across (created on Windows XP), then the other person is not able to edit/modify it, getting a warning message "Initialization of the Data Source faile...

IE7 - Firefox - Outlook Client
We have found an issue that some of y'all may find interesting: IE7 must be the default browser if Firefox (and probably any other browser) is installed. If FF is default, users will not be able to open any entity, or create activities. This may be true with IE8 also but we have no users using IE8...yet. Not an issue with IE6. -- Jim ...

How do I enter new data alphabetically into a workbook w/o scroll.
I have a list of information and periodically I have to add information into this list. The easiest way I found so far to do this is by scrolling through the list of information I have and finding the person I need to add to and inserting a new line. Is there a form that can be easily built that inserts information into its spot alphabetically? Hi Jillian:- Please check out:- http://www.pierrefondes.com/ - item number 42 (done in EXCEL 2007). This won't add it alphabetically but it does present you with an easy way to get data into a Workbook. If there is an...

Append data from external database
I need to import data from a live table in one database to a table in another database. The data I am importing is not indexed. I would like to be able to import this data into my table that is indexed. My table is indenticle structure except for the indexes. I only need to refresh my table intermittently, so I delete all the records from my table and append all the records including the most current records from the live table to my table. I am using a link to the live table. When I attempted the append I received an error "invalid argument." Is there a way to handle this w...

Outlook Problem-Access to email addresses
I installed Office XP this morning and after setting up my email the following dialog box comes up every time I want to send a message: "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose no". It then gives me the ability to allow access for a specified period of time but not longer than 10 minutes. How do I get rid of this? Regards, Susan Susan <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I installed Office XP this morning and after setting up...

Can't access mapped Drives on LAN
I posted this in a Windows Server group but one of the users suggested it may be a XP issue and to post it here. I had this problem a couple weeks ago, but then it cleared up on its own and has returned. The systems logs the network drives, but I can't connect to the network. I pasted screens shots on a webpage which I hope will be easier than me trying to explain. http://www.truckloads.net/NetworkError/Default.aspx Screen1 shows that I clicked on the mapped T:\ drive in Windows Filed Explorer. Screen2 shows that I tried to connect to the server \\ASams1 which b...

Data files
What is the difference between the **.mbf and **.mny files? In microsoft.public.money, duhmel wrote: >What is the difference between the **.mbf and **.mny files? > *.mbf is Money Backup File. You cannot do salv.exe or standard repair directly to a *.mbf file. ...

activate/deactivate macro depending on who's the user
in my office we have a shared drived folder that is used by different users,we store excel worksheets in the shared folder. Each user have to log in to the PC with a different ID to start using the it. I need a macro to automatically hide/unhide rows in the excel worksheet depending on who the user is. How should i write the macro? Please help. Hi Anna This should get you started Sub UnHideCols() Dim user As String user = Environ("Username") With Sheets("Sheet1") ' you have to leave at least 1 column visible on a sheet '...

Rounding difference in Access 2003 text exports
We're finding rounding differences when exporting Access 2003 data to text files - about $4000 difference from the original Excel Worksheet. # lines - about 250,000 Original Dollars - $800,000,000 +. Access export is under by about $4000. Floating decimal in original Excel data, which is imported to Access and seems not to lose any data, more divisions and calculations are done driving the dollars out to a large customer base. Before exporting, data is summed and foots to the original $800MM+. Data is exported using Export Wizard as comma delimited. I wonder - are ther...

Excel User Conference update
Just wanted to thank Bill Jelen (Mr Excel - MrExcel.com) and Joseph Rubin (ExcelTip.com) for donating books. The books will be given away as door prizes at the conference. The next ten people that register for the conference will be entered into a drawing for Bill Jelen's "Pivot Table Data Crunching". The copy will be presented to the lucky winner at the event. Pivot Table Data Crunching * By Bill Jelen, Michael Alexander. * Published by Que. ISBN: 0789734354; Published: Jun 21, 2005; Copyright 2005 http://www.mrexcel.com/pivottablebook.shtml -- Damon Lon...

Find MAX data in sheet (Cell)
How would one go about finding the cell that contains the MAX info, o say any/all cells that exceeds 8,000 characters/spaces in a Excel page -- confuzedagai ----------------------------------------------------------------------- confuzedagain's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2943 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49148 1. Highlight the entire document 2. Select Format->Conditional Formatting 3. Select "Formula Is" 4. Input this formula =LEN(A1)>8000 5. Format with something obvious like green bac...

MS Money 2006 & IE7 error
Since installing IE7 b1, when I close Money 2006, it closes down but then does the dialog that an error occurred. And no matter if choose to send or not send, it reopens Money again. Luckily if you close from the logon screen, it doesn't do this cycle again. Hopefully the Money team knows about this issue. Known IE7 error. That's why you are beta testing - to find out what applications IE7 scr*ws. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.micros...

How can I access a public calendar from a custom form
I am trying to create a custom form that would allow a employee to request a vactation time frame. This form would then be mailed to a supervisor who could approve or disapprove the request. I am having difficulty getting the response posted to a public calendar vs. the managers private calendar. Help! -Jeff ...

Outlook 2007 doesn't appear in Set Program Access and Defaults
I just installed Office 2007 Pro but for some reason Outlook 2007 doesn't appear in my "set program access and defaults". Outlook Express appears as my only option and Outlook Express appears in the e- mail slot on my start menu. Any ideas why? You must uninstall any prior version of Outlook and re-run setup using a = custom installation and make Outlook available. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching...

from access 97 to 2003
I am after converting a database, in work, from access 97 to 2003. I am on work experience and i have to get this done soon. In the conversion error table. i got error - 1611: Could not find field 'Description'. I know this might be basic but i am only a student and learning. Please copuld ye help. What does this mean???????? "Eoin" <jtleb@yahoo.com> wrote: >I am after converting a database, in work, from access 97 >to 2003. I am on work experience and i have to get this >done soon. In the conversion error table. i got error - >1611: Could not find...