Windows Vista is it worth it?

Can I have thoughts regarding Vista, is it all better, than previous
versions of MS Windows?

0
Christopher
10/7/2007 11:22:55 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

"Christopher Henson" <chris21192@msn.com> wrote in message
> Can I have thoughts regarding Vista, is it all better, than previous
> versions of MS Windows?

It is far more secure than earlier versions of Windows, but this is not the
place to discuss Vista, or Windows subject matter. Your question may be
better answered in a newsgroup appropriate to your problem. This newsgroup
is dedicated to the Microsoft Access database product.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
Free MS-Access downloads:

0
Arvin

windows 7 media player autorun
I know this is a vista group but i don't see a windows 7 group i had disabled autorun because i don't like it. however, if i'm playing music in wmp and i put in a cd that has video either dvd or wmv/mp4 files, wmp suddenly stops playing the music and starts playing the video files on that cd. if autorun is disabled, why is wmp automatically doing this? I) There're two completely different things and they're worth disabling both, despite very similar names: a) Autorun b) Autoplay. You can Google or Bing for: "disable autoplay in Windows", and...

Windows mail problem 07-16-10
Tried to log into my optonline account and received the following message: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.optonline.net', Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Can anyone decipher this for me? What is the issue? You should not be using advanced ports or SSL, see http://optimum.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/optimum.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2397&p_created=1237397986&p_sid=ZbGnw*4k&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZ...

windows/system32/config/system file is huge
Hi, My windows/system32/config/system file is huge -- the order of 200mb. This seems a bit unusual, and I did get some popups on startup that there is not enough room for the registry. I cleared out the paging file and reallocated 1.5*2gb (the size of my memory). Anyway, what can I do about this file to make it "normal" again? I will state that I am after a repair install because something happened to my system and I needed to repair. Now things are indeed working alot better, but there is still this issue, and I guess this is why my system works slowly at times a...

Windows 2000 server user names
Where can I configure the user names formatting like you do in Recipient policies? yaro ...

Windows installer problem 04-08-10
Hi All, After login to windows xp, on screen displayed windows installer and nothing showing on screen .Any reply will be appreciated. Best regards Anji Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. Was the computer fully patched at Windows Update when this problem started? What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a(another)...

Find/Replace command in Windows Live Mail
Does anyone know if the Find/Replace command is available in Live Mail. I cannot find it. If not, does anyone know of a suitable solution for that "will be missed" command. No, it's not. If you need to use Find/Replace, select all the text and 'cut' it. Then paste into Notepad where you can do the Find/Replace. When done, paste the result back into your email message. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "LouiseL" wrote in message news:8C2EDC90-74F5-4D16-948F-461EACB0F3C3@microsoft.com... Does anyone know if the Find/Replace command is ava...

Regsitry Key inaccessable in Windows 2003
Hi all, I cannt access a Registry Entry from windows 2003. Works fine with Windows 2000. I am accesing it from a Service in vc++. If i change the service Run as to Administrative Account it works, but fails in local account. No problem at all in Windows 2000. Any Clues??? Thanks and Regards, Abhinav Have you checked if you have the correct permissions to access that key using a local account on the 2003 box? - MR "Abhi" <bhagwatav@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u0cjdDP4EHA.2608@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I cannt access a Registry Entry from win...

A question on __declspec(dllimport) and the Windows APIs.
In chapter 19 of Jeff's classic book "Programming Applications for Microsoft Windows", there is a paragraph as follows: "What Importing Really Means The previous section introduced the _ _declspec(dllimport) modifier. When you import a symbol, you do not have to use the _ _declspec(dllimport) keyword-you can simply use the standard C extern keyword. However, the compiler can produce slightly more efficient code if it knows ahead of time that the symbol you are referencing will be imported from a DLL's .lib file. So I highly recommend that you use the _ _declspec(dllimp...

Rules window disappears in less than 1 second
I just installed Outlook 2003 and now when I click on Rules the Rules dialog ox pops up for less that 1 second and then disappears not allowing any entry into it for editing and or setting up a rule. Any Ideas? ...

windows mail- vista, error with downloading attachments
When i click on the attachment it asks for my approval and then i click open. Then an error appears which at the frame of the window(above) says C:/Users...temporaryinternetfiles... ,and below an X with a message saying: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the set associations control panel . What do i have to do? Regards, Antonis You have to, "Create an association in the set associations control panel." Go to Start - Default Programs - "Associate a File Type or Protocol with a Program&q...

Problem with Static splitter window...
Hi, Iam trying to create splitter windows. I need my window to be split into two rows. And then, each of the two rows must be further split into 2 columns. I need it precisely like this because I need the splitter bar in both rows to be separate and independent. Can somebody help me find what's the problem in the following code? It does not create the lower splitter. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Shirley BOOL CMainFrame::OnCreateClient(LPCREATESTRUCT lpcs, CCreateContext* pContext) { int nWidth, nHeight; nWidth = ::GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXMAXIMIZED); nHei...

Business Portal - Employee Pay
This window does not auto-populated from existing employee data in Business Portal HRM:SS. The Employee Profile/Dependent/Benefits etc. windows all populate immediately but the W-4 window requires that a Modify transaction be made by the employee and approved by the supervisor before it will display data. This is contrary to all other windows and confuses the employees. It provides a first-impression that is not good for their experience with Business Portal. Mike Lupro -- Mike Lupro ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestion...

problems after sleep using vista
after coming back to my system after sleep the screen is just black and blank. i see the cursor and it will move around but nothing else. the only way i can get to my password screen is to press "ctrl+alt+delete". when i do this i can then enter my password and go to my desktop. does anyone else have this happen? On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:18:00 -0700, bguy1954 <bguy1954@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >after coming back to my system after sleep the screen is just black and >blank. i see the cursor and it will move around but nothing else. the only >way i can get...

How to set Excel to open a new window for each application
When I choose a spreadsheet to open, I want it to open a new window. This used to happen but now opens in the same instance, just hiding my original spreadsheet. How to I get it back to previous settings? Tools-->Options, View tab. Check Windows in Taskbar. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Luke" <Luke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052E3C3A-8A1A-4EB4-BE2D-B6E09D4D247F@microsoft.com... > When I choose a spreadsheet to open, I want it to open a new window. This > used to happen but now opens in the same instance, just hiding my ori...

Windows 7 stuck in "Preparing to Hibernate"
How do I override "Preparing to Hibernate" or "Preparing to Shutdown" ? It's been in this mode for over six hours. Nothing removes the blue screen w/these words. Nothing to do with Word, but just keep the on/off switch pressed. -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on a paid professional basis. "lsmo64081" <lsmo64081@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61669E75-5C16-4D1B-B69A-89F293C9B0FF@microsoft.com... > How do I override "P...

I'm trying to set up my mail for windows vista, please help set this up for me!
blueljeans@verizon.net is my email before trying to set up my mail through windows, can you help me? Barbara Gibson NEVER post or use your real email address in a public newsgroup or forum! Contact your ISP or email provider to obtain the settings you'll need to access your name@verizon.net account via POP3 [1], then start here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Mail-setting-up-an-account-from-start-to-finish ============= [1] Perhaps http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/verizon/mail/yahoomail/pop/pop-08.html ? Barbara Gibson wrote: > [MUNGED]@v...

Drawing the iconic window
Many years ago, it was possible to draw anything you wanted in the iconic window view. Today, it seems like the SHell has taken this over completely. I've got two problems: My app has no caption bar and no system menu, but I want to handle right-click on the taskbar icon. No messages appear to be generated to indicate any activity in the task bar icon. My app would like to custom-draw the iconic representation on the taskbar, such as drawing the icon and the caption. It does not appear this is possible. Note that the funny routine that MFC generates for dialog-based apps, that is suppose...

Windows Live mail takes much longer than ISP
My email service is through Sky.com and hotmail but Windows Live does not display mail for sometime an hour after it is in Sky mail. Why is this happening. It was not a problem in Outlook Express. What is you setting under Tools/Options... General tab... Send/Receive messages... Check for new messages every "xx" minutes... reset "xx" to "10" (default = 30). If you needs something quicker, you can manually sync. "Bryan1345" <Bryan1345@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:864941E6-EA56-434F-8DB0-5F3F2EF3AA4C@microsoft.com...

Vista Problems and malware-catching
I have posted to this group with a couple of threads expressing the various ways in which my computer has been performing poorly, sometimes failing in unexpected ways. I ran a lot of scans -- with Malwarebytes, Spybot, Microsoft Security Essentials, Ad-Aware, Superantivirus and AVG. These all drew a blank, even the full scans. The only 'pay' version of any anti-malware programme I had installed was Stopzilla. It ran periodic, automatic scans, but didn't display the results and I always assumed that it would show any threats it found. I was rather annoyed by these scans beca...

Money 2005 fails to start on Vista
My Money 2005 was working fine on Vista (see history below) but now when the splash screen comes up it dies with no error message. I've tried uninstall and reinstall using the run by Administrator options, done a registry clean up and still the same thing. I'm at a loss now as to what to do. I'd really rather not upgrade to 2007 but if anyone can offer good reasons why I should it would be appreciated. I'm really getting frustrated with MS and their failure to make Vista compatable to even their own programs! (i.e. issues with Outlook 2002 not storing a password, P...

Using Windows Mail in Windows &
I have been using Windows Mail (copied from Vista) in my Windows 7 computer for nearly 6 months without any problems. Now, since Windows update KB978542 was installed a couple of days ago it has stopped working. It appears as a running program in Windows Task manager but the user interface never appears. I have done a System Restore to before KB978542 and Windows Mail started working OK again, Repeated this three time so I have no doubt that it is KB978542 that has buggered it up. Has anyone else using Windows Mail in Windows 7 had this experience? Are MS purposely disabli...

Windows defrag on exchange partition.
Hello, I am running win 2003 with exchange 2003. Is it safe and/or worthwhile doing a defrag on the partition that the exchange databases are located? thanks in advance... In my experence with 2k3, i havnt had any probelms. supprisingly but no real problems. i think its because (on my test box now) i have everything on one 40 gig logical drive (c:) with no RAID. Now, note: RAID may not play nice, i wouldnt try it on RAID until someone else who has done it says so... enjoy... Anthony "Simon" wrote: > Hello, > I am running win 2003 with exchange 2003. Is it safe and...

Problems with windows
I just got my computer cleaned up and downloaded some programs without having adobe back on and a window appeared and said "Windows cannot open this and gave yes and no options." I clicked "No." And a window opened and I moved it to Word and I can't open anything on windows any more. This comes up and I sure would like some wisdom on what to do. File Conversion: Select the encoding that makes your document readable Text encoding Windows default has a circle with a period in the center MS-DOS other en...

See this correction patch for Microsoft Windows
--hanoxjmvugy Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="geygsediuj"; type="multipart/alternative" --geygsediuj Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="orxbebvyw" --orxbebvyw Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to protect your computer. This ...

After I install a software in windows xp , how many changes have h
After I install a software in windows xp , how many changes have happen in registry? Because I need to read the value of registry ,please tell me all the changes in registry. I appreciate your help. -- jake After you install "a piece of software" in Windows, some number of registry keys, dependent entirely on whatever the person writing the installation decided should be modified, have been modified. In addition, once you run it, some other keys, defined by the person who coded it, and based on whatever actions the user has taken, will be changed. Each piece of software is ...