Why became my database file 5 times larger in Access 2007?

I have a database in Access 2000 file format witch I have developed for
several years. The filesize is 4,9 MB. When I resently moved this file to my
new notebook with Windows Vista and Access 2007, and filled it with with a
certain amount if information (not that much, there was allredy some ground
information written to it), I notized the file size had grown to 26,8 MB,
more than 5 times larger. I have allso another copy of the same database on
my notebook, witch I only have opened a couple of times and not written much
to. This file has not grown at all. Anyone who knows what this is about?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Try compacting your Access 2007 file:
    Office Button | Manage | Compact/Repair

"Robbie" <Robbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a database in Access 2000 file format witch I have developed for
> several years. The filesize is 4,9 MB. When I resently moved this file to
> my
> new notebook with Windows Vista and Access 2007, and filled it with with a
> certain amount if information (not that much, there was allredy some
> ground
> information written to it), I notized the file size had grown to 26,8 MB,
> more than 5 times larger. I have allso another copy of the same database
> on
> my notebook, witch I only have opened a couple of times and not written
> much
> to. This file has not grown at all. Anyone who knows what this is about?

0
Allen
10/17/2007 1:54:08 PM
Thanks for your answer.
Yes, the filesize became much smaller (1,7 MB).
But then it begins to grow again, while the file is open. I can actually see
in the explorer window how it grows, about 20 kb every 10 seconds. And I'm
doing nothing! What is happening? Can it be a virus? But I have a good and
updated virusprogram, and no other files than my Access files are effected
(now allso the other one I mentioned in my first question).

Robbie

"Allen Browne" skrev:

> Try compacting your Access 2007 file:
>     Office Button | Manage | Compact/Repair

> "Robbie" <Robbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a database in Access 2000 file format witch I have developed for
> > several years. The filesize is 4,9 MB. When I resently moved this file to
> > my
> > new notebook with Windows Vista and Access 2007, and filled it with with a
> > certain amount if information (not that much, there was allredy some
> > ground
> > information written to it), I notized the file size had grown to 26,8 MB,
> > more than 5 times larger. I have allso another copy of the same database
> > on
> > my notebook, witch I only have opened a couple of times and not written
> > much
> > to. This file has not grown at all. Anyone who knows what this is about?

Could be due to a number of things--Name AutoCorrect to name one example.
You probably want to turn this one off anyway:
    http://allenbrowne.com/bug-03.html

Beyond that, be aware of what might decompile your database, avoid Timer
events, and so on.

Of course, if you are adding data to a table and deleting it, that will
bloat your database also.

> Thanks for your answer.
> Yes, the filesize became much smaller (1,7 MB).
> But then it begins to grow again, while the file is open. I can actually
> see
> in the explorer window how it grows, about 20 kb every 10 seconds. And I'm
> doing nothing! What is happening? Can it be a virus? But I have a good and
> updated virusprogram, and no other files than my Access files are effected
> (now allso the other one I mentioned in my first question).
>
> Robbie
>
> "Allen Browne" skrev:
>
>> Try compacting your Access 2007 file:
>>     Office Button | Manage | Compact/Repair
>>
>> "Robbie" <Robbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a database in Access 2000 file format witch I have developed for
>> > several years. The filesize is 4,9 MB. When I resently moved this file
>> > my
>> > new notebook with Windows Vista and Access 2007, and filled it with
>> > with a
>> > certain amount if information (not that much, there was allredy some
>> > ground
>> > information written to it), I notized the file size had grown to 26,8
>> > MB,
>> > more than 5 times larger. I have allso another copy of the same
>> > database
>> > on
>> > my notebook, witch I only have opened a couple of times and not written
>> > much
>> > to. This file has not grown at all. Anyone who knows what this is
>> > about?

0
Allen
10/17/2007 3:50:44 PM
Thanks for your tips, but it didn't help.
Robbie

"Allen Browne" skrev:

> Could be due to a number of things--Name AutoCorrect to name one example.
> You probably want to turn this one off anyway:
>     http://allenbrowne.com/bug-03.html
>
> Beyond that, be aware of what might decompile your database, avoid Timer
> events, and so on.
>
> Of course, if you are adding data to a table and deleting it, that will
> bloat your database also.

> "Robbie" <Robbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your answer.
> > Yes, the filesize became much smaller (1,7 MB).
> > But then it begins to grow again, while the file is open. I can actually
> > see
> > in the explorer window how it grows, about 20 kb every 10 seconds. And I'm
> > doing nothing! What is happening? Can it be a virus? But I have a good and
> > updated virusprogram, and no other files than my Access files are effected
> > (now allso the other one I mentioned in my first question).
> >
> > Robbie
> >
> > "Allen Browne" skrev:
> >
> >> Try compacting your Access 2007 file:
> >>     Office Button | Manage | Compact/Repair
> >>
> >> "Robbie" <Robbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Linking files 2 ways

File size #11

Unable to delete empty database

find action on log file

Reporting from Project Server

Maximum file sizes

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Pivot Table Question #5

Math Worksheet Database
I am interested in developing/acquiring an Access 2003 database to generate (K-5 grade) math worksheets where I can track student results. I would hope not to reinvent the wheel. Thank you for any assistance. ...

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

Over Time Pay rate 1.51?

outlook 2007 e-mail