What's happened to the Sign In button for MS Discussion groups?

I don't see the Sign In button anymore on the MS Discussion groups pages.
I'm only able to sign in through a convoluted method.  Anyone else
experiencing this, and what's the fix?

Thanks,
PatrickM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:52:00 -0800, PatrickM
<PatrickM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I don't see the Sign In button anymore on the MS Discussion groups pages.
>I'm only able to sign in through a convoluted method.  Anyone else
>experiencing this,

I've heard the complaint.

>and what's the fix?

Don't use the webpages at all. Most of the MVP's and other regulars use an
NNTP newsreader pointed to msnews.microsoft.com; you can use Outlook Express,
Windows Mail, or a third-party newsreader such as Agent (www.forteinc.com).

My understanding is that the signin (if you really want it) will pop up when
you try to post a reply or a new message, but I avoid the site so I'm just not
certain!

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
1/30/2008 10:53:26 PM
I know the feeling. I've been having problems for about a week now. Duane
Hookom told me what is probably the same convoluted method that you are
using. On the plus side, it isn't asking me for information each time I
answer a question.

Hopefully those responsible for these forums are working on it.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"PatrickM" wrote:

> I don't see the Sign In button anymore on the MS Discussion groups pages.
> I'm only able to sign in through a convoluted method.  Anyone else
> experiencing this, and what's the fix?
>
> Thanks,
> PatrickM
Hi Patrick and Jerry,

I've been having the same problems as well. On the positive side, I'm no
longer getting that very annoying prompt concerning re-direction every time
one would click on the link in the notification e-mail message that reads
"Click this link to continue receiving notifications for this thread."

Also, the "Notify me of replies" link in the upper right corner *finally*
started working again. It's been out of commission for nearly a year (worked
fine before that). I suspect that it was still working all along, but for the
last year or so, one would get a notification failed message when clicking
that link. So, two steps forward, one step backwards....<sigh>

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/
http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html

"Jerry Whittle" wrote:

> I know the feeling. I've been having problems for about a week now. Duane
> Hookom told me what is probably the same convoluted method that you are
> using. On the plus side, it isn't asking me for information each time I
> answer a question.
>
> Hopefully those responsible for these forums are working on it.
> --
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "PatrickM" wrote:
>
> > I don't see the Sign In button anymore on the MS Discussion groups pages.
> > I'm only able to sign in through a convoluted method.  Anyone else
> > experiencing this, and what's the fix?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > PatrickM
Thanks John for the tip.

Patrick

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:52:00 -0800, PatrickM
> <PatrickM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I don't see the Sign In button anymore on the MS Discussion groups pages.
> >I'm only able to sign in through a convoluted method.  Anyone else
> >experiencing this,
>
> I've heard the complaint.
>
> >and what's the fix?
>
> Don't use the webpages at all. Most of the MVP's and other regulars use an
> NNTP newsreader pointed to msnews.microsoft.com; you can use Outlook Express,
> Windows Mail, or a third-party newsreader such as Agent (www.forteinc.com).
>
> My understanding is that the signin (if you really want it) will pop up when
> you try to post a reply or a new message, but I avoid the site so I'm just not
> certain!
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]

Thanks Jerry.

Patrick

"Jerry Whittle" wrote:

> I know the feeling. I've been having problems for about a week now. Duane
> Hookom told me what is probably the same convoluted method that you are
> using. On the plus side, it isn't asking me for information each time I
> answer a question.
>
> Hopefully those responsible for these forums are working on it.
> --
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "PatrickM" wrote:
>
> > I don't see the Sign In button anymore on the MS Discussion groups pages.
> > I'm only able to sign in through a convoluted method.  Anyone else
> > experiencing this, and what's the fix?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > PatrickM
Thanks Tom.

Patrick

"Tom Wickerath" wrote:

> Hi Patrick and Jerry,
>
> I've been having the same problems as well. On the positive side, I'm no
> longer getting that very annoying prompt concerning re-direction every time
> one would click on the link in the notification e-mail message that reads
> "Click this link to continue receiving notifications for this thread."
>
> Also, the "Notify me of replies" link in the upper right corner *finally*
> started working again. It's been out of commission for nearly a year (worked
> fine before that). I suspect that it was still working all along, but for the
> last year or so, one would get a notification failed message when clicking
> that link. So, two steps forward, one step backwards....<sigh>
>

> Tom Wickerath
> Microsoft Access MVP
> http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/
> http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html
>

> "Jerry Whittle" wrote:
>
> > I know the feeling. I've been having problems for about a week now. Duane
> > Hookom told me what is probably the same convoluted method that you are
> > using. On the plus side, it isn't asking me for information each time I
> > answer a question.
> >
> > Hopefully those responsible for these forums are working on it.
> > --
> > Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
> > Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.
> >

> > "PatrickM" wrote:
> >
> > > I don't see the Sign In button anymore on the MS Discussion groups pages.
> > > I'm only able to sign in through a convoluted method.  Anyone else
> > > experiencing this, and what's the fix?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > PatrickM

MS Access vs Informix 4GL
Hello all; I am quite comfortable using Access via ODBC however I am now looking at a new position using Informix 4GL on top of SQL Technology on an HP9000 server. Has anyone had experience with Informix from a queries, data reporting, manipulation and GUI design perspective? Is it similar to Access and what would be the reasons for using Informix rather than Access. I am plowing through SQL for dummies in the case that I might have to take hours to do what I can do in minutes with Access. Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks RJ "RJ" <RJ@discussio...

Count each group of values
I need a formula or vba code to count how many groups of "X" values and how many "X" in each group. Sample: a1 ah1 X X X X X X X A A A A X X X X X X B B B B B B X X X X X X X X X X X X Result i need with the code or formula 1 group 7 "x" 2 group 6 "x" 3 group 12"x" Thanks for help Paulo JP, Bob Umlas has all the answers at http://www.emailoffice.com/excel/arrays-bobumlas.html --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Thanks "Kieran >" <<Kieran.1023bg@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Kieran....

uninstalling ms office 2010 which was installed through power iso
hai; i have downloaded a crappy ms office mondo 2010 from lan and installed it.also there were some installation errors. i am not able to use ppt/word.... hence when i tried to unistall it ,through control pannel, it is saying "corrupted,insert original dvd/cd ". but i have installed it by poweriso. now i want to remove that msoffice and get some office07. so what should i do now to uninstall it. i have tried many times,every time it says "this product installation has been corrupted.insert original dvd/cd......." please help me.BTW, my os is vista home - - ...

Spam guard for MS Outlook 2000
Are there any features in MS Outlook 2000 like spam guard or junk e-mail controller. Or do we have a a MS Outlook 2000 compatible software??? Hayk wrote: > Are there any features in MS Outlook 2000 like spam guard > or junk e-mail controller. Or do we have a a MS Outlook > 2000 compatible software??? Outlook 2000 certainly has Junk Mail options, for other options look here; http://www.slipstick.com/rules/junkmail.htm ...

Project Server 2003 and MS Office Project 2007
Hello, I'm very new to Project Server and am researching the creation of templates that can be used by the PMs. We would create a comprehensive template based on PMI, RUP or Prince2 and save it as a template. I found out how to save the template and I can see it in the database allright but when I create a new project in project center, I get a blank project. How and where do I configure project server to use the project template I created in Project Center. Any help is appreciated. Jason Jason -- To create a new project from one of the two new enterprise project ...

Disabling ESC button in a Wizard
Hi, I have been writing a wiz97 wizard succesfully. But there is one thing: In a certain page I have to temporarily disable all posibilities to close the wizard. Disabling the wizard cancel button and the close (X) button was easy. However, hitting the ESC button still shuts it down. I have overriden the OnCancel() function in that propertysheet, one that bassicly does nothing. It's get called, it does nothing but still after that the wizard gets destroyed. Any help on this? Thanks, Jeroen. I am not sure how you overwrote the OnCancel of a CPropertySheet, since it's doesn't in...

Grouping axis scale multiple charts
I am working on a report in Excel where we compare four models with eachother. Therefore we use four charts which we place next to eachother. The data is filled into the datasheet automatically from access through macro's. The problem is that the scale of the x-axis differs on each chart while we want the same scale on all four charts. Auto-scaling scales each chart individually, so that is not an option as well. The only solution what I can come up with is making a macro that searches for the largest value in the datasheet and then setting the maximum of each axis to that value. T...

Restricted distribution groups
Hello all, I want to create a distribution list that is only available to certain users. Is there any way i can apply security to a distribution list? I would prefer the distribution list being maintained at Exchange rather than Outlook. Thanks in advance Regards Ishan Distribution lists are secure unless you specifically grant rights to them. By default, however, anyone can send to them, but you can control that through the list's properties pages Exchange General > Message Restrictiosn settings. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick ba...

export to .pdf from MS works spreadsheet?
If anyone can tell me how to do this I'd be very grateful. Everywhere I go with these spreadsheets, which are in .xlr or 'Microsoft Works Spreadsheet' format, they open up differently (margins and colors are different) depending on what version of 'Excel' or 'Works' the printers use. I've had no luck with the help texts, can anyone tell me how to get these files into .pdf format?? Is it an IMPORT function of adobe acrobat I need to examine? Many thanks in advance, Tom Wailea, HI You need to buy a program that creates the PDF file. They typically set...

New Problem
In Access 2007: In a form I created a button, used the wizard to set it to go to next record when clicked. When I click it, I get this: The expression ON CLICK you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Ambiguous name detected: PRINT_CLICK. Now, if I wrote the VBA/Macro, I could understand it not working if I made a mistake, but this button was generated by ACCESS and doesn't work. Same problem with Previous record button and Save Record button. Thanks in advance, Vito I would guess the problem is not with the buttons, but with the f...

find&select button,help please?
Hi everybody, i'm using excel 2007,when i press the find&select button it dosen't sow me the cell i'm looking for,it has been disabled,although when i look the rows one by one i can find it,how can i able the find&select. i'd appreciate if u'd let me know,cuz i'm in trouble here ...

Show email in date groups
In Office 2007 I am able to group my email by date with date headers. Now I have Windows Live Mail. How do I arrange by date, show in groups. The free WLM lacks some of the features of the retail Outlook program. You can sort by date, but no grouping. -- Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate http://download.live.com/wlmail "Janet" <Janet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F2A4895-7052-40DE-A414-28D8C102CFD1@microsoft.com... > In Office 2007 I am able to group my email by date with date headers. Now > I > have Windows Live...

customization button not visible
Hi folks Got the following issue: On both web and outlook client the "customization" button isn't visible. On the web client I can help myself with deleting the cookies. But it seems to work only for one session, after closing and starting the explorer again, the button is gone. On the outlook client it wasn't possible for me to get the button. Any idea? Thanks, Pascal Hi Pascal, You should find the resolution here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910050. Ensure that you exit the outlook client before starting the web client. HTH, Niths "redIT - Pascal Lanz...

Navigation Button error (using Access 2007)
I am using my own Navigation Buttons for my form with an lblNavigate label. (I created lblNavigate on the form by using three spaces.) I am using lblNavigate to try and duplicate the record "x of y" label that appears in the standard navigation toolbar). I found some code that works except for one problem: When I open the form it says 1 of 501 instead of 1 of 1564. I have to press the Next button and then the previous button to get the accurate count. Any ideas of what’s causing this error? I put the below code in the form's On Current Event: Private Sub Fo...

Copy Record Button Function
Hi. I have two forms that I would like to add a copy record button to. But I get error messages [Run-time error 3414] when I try. It points to this line of code when I click debug: If Not rs.EOF Then Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark After troubleshooting for a bit, I realized that both forms have lookup boxes in the form header section. If I delete the lookup box from the form I can add a duplicate record button without a problem. Is there anyway to have both the lookup box and the duplicate record button on the form simulatneously? Here is the code for one of the lookup boxes ...

how to add controls to a group control in mfc?
Hii .. I have a really simple question, Im trying to add some controls (e.g edit boxes and radio buttons) to a group box in MFC in visual studio 2003. What I want is that in the Dialog editor when I move the group box with my mouse, all the controls inside the group box move along with it too. Also I want to enable / disable all the controls inside the group box on the fly by just enabling/disabling the groupbox Is it possible to do that? Thanks Arfeen arfeengodil@gmail.com wrote: > Hii .. > > I have a really simple question, Im trying to add some controls (e.g > edit boxes an...

MS Outlook Stationery
Hello All I've created my own stationery in Outlook XP but when I try to start a new message, the background image repeats itself...Does anyone know how to stop this so that only the one copy of the image is displayed? The strange thing is that this background for stationery worked fine with previous versions of Outlook... Thanks in advance ...

Charts with data from MS Query
I'm using MS Query to retrieve data from a SQL Database and once in Excel I create new columns to calculate lets say "cost" by multiplying one of the retrieved columns by a constant, since the amount of data retrieved (rows) with the query changes (depends on criteria that I set up on the Query), the rows on the new columns should change too, and I don't want #REF! cells, I'm using the next formula to calculate the new values on the new column =IF(ISBLANK(AH2),"",AH2*0.075/AL2). Now I have charts that show the values retrieved with the Query and charts t...

Send button in Outlook
For some reason I have lost the send/recieve button on the toolbar of outlook. Have tried to access this button using the toolbar options but cannot get it back. As a result I cannot send e-mail's. Can anyone help?? Do you have an account properly configured? If all settings look correct create a new (second) profile and see if the button shows now. If it shows now you can remove your previous profile. To create a new profile (do not copy it); Control Panel-> Mail-> button Show Profiles To access your current pst-file in the new profile; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File....

MS Word 2002
I have MS office 2002 programs on my laptop (Windows Vista) and for some reason, whenever I go to click something on the menu bar - for instance File, Edit, or View - the drop-down won't show up. All I get is a vague outline of the right-hand side of the drop down. Same with text color, font style, etc. I can still use it, sort of; if I know that the Save As option is n number of spaces down when I click File, I can use the down-arrow key to move that many spaces. The thing is, I don't have all that memorized, and I really want to fix this. It's on all the Windows p...

connection DDE with MS Excel
Help!!!! Who able is to resolve this problem? Premise: I am not an expert of Excel and I am using a problem of mailing to resolve it trying to contain the costs. Going for degrees: 1) I have created in excel a data base; 2) I have created in word a letter type; 3) then with mail merge etc. etc. PROBLEM All worked to the perfection, thin to a blackout. I launch the file word for the mail merge and during to load the file in excel this it appears "Bastard" message: "Impossible to reestablish a connection DDE with Microsoft Excel to complete the operation." Q...

Office 2003 SP3 breaks MS-Access Sourcesafe
Since installing Office 2003 SP3 I've been unable to get the forms etc in my MS-Access projects from SourceSafe. When it gets to importing the forms I get these error messages: Microsoft Office Access (x) There isn't enough memory to perform this operation. Close unneeded programs and try the operation again. [OK] Source Code Control (i) Failed to import file 'c:\fvs_uk_apps\arm_axa_bpp.scc\FrmEndorsement_Policy.ACF' into Microsoft Access. [OK] [OK All] [Help] The first error seems misleading, 3gb RAM/17gb free disk and the error happens consistently whatever programs...

Uninstalled MS office ultimate 2007, reinstalled
Outlook 2007 in Vista will not open. It processes for 10 seconds and then stops after attempting to open it. Exasperating and Frustrating. How do I make this newish software work? Does it work in Outlook Safe Mode? Start-> type; outlook.exe /safe (note the space in the command) Additionally see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntstart.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World ...

sample of a contract signed between owner and canteen operator
I need to prepare the above contract so i would like to have a template for the above. exactly? -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "shamsunnisa" <shamsunnisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39113DB7-C8F5-4CD0-A881-B0F533162CD2@microsoft.com... > I need to prepare the above contract so i would like to have a template > for > the above. I would recommend you not use Publisher even though it's possible. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies&quo...

Switchboard Button Does Not Work
I've created many switchboards in previous versions of MS Access but this is the first one I've done in Access 2007 and I've come across a problem that has not occurred before. I currently have 2 swichboards (the main one, and a secondary one that is reached via a button on the main). When the database is first opened, all the buttons work fine. However, when I run a routine that imports data and then carries out a number of validity checks on that data (again, something that I have done numerous times in the past), the button on the main switchboard that links me to the se...