Want subset of large db table and not load the entire table into access

Hello,

How do I load a subset of a table from an ODBC database without
linking or importing the entire table? I tried a select into
statement, but it didn't work. Also, excell allows to do a query to
load info into a worksheet table that is effective. Is there any way
to query a database and insert that query into a table in access with
out linking or importing the entire table?

Thanks,
Ken

0
keconklin
4/30/2007 9:40:19 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hi, Ken.

> Is there any way
> to query a database and insert that query into a table in access with
> out linking or importing the entire table?

Create a view in the other database with only the columns and rows you need
for that table, and then link to that view from Access.  It will act like a
linked table, even though it's really just a subset of the whole table.

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
Blogs: www.DataDevilDog.BlogSpot.com, www.DatabaseTips.BlogSpot.com
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/expert_contributors2.html for contact
info.

<RemoveThis@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> How do I load a subset of a table from an ODBC database without
> linking or importing the entire table? I tried a select into
> statement, but it didn't work. Also, excell allows to do a query to
> load info into a worksheet table that is effective. Is there any way
> to query a database and insert that query into a table in access with
> out linking or importing the entire table?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

Access Data Projects have a record count limiter-- it might be just what
you're looking for

<keconklin@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> How do I load a subset of a table from an ODBC database without
> linking or importing the entire table? I tried a select into
> statement, but it didn't work. Also, excell allows to do a query to
> load info into a worksheet table that is effective. Is there any way
> to query a database and insert that query into a table in access with
> out linking or importing the entire table?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

0
Aaron

Runtime Parameters in Access
How do I pass a parameter to an application at runtime? Specifically, a parameter that AutoExec can examine in order to determine which of two functions it should run. I've tried to solve the problem by using the /x MyMacroName, but AutoExec seems to override that. On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:13:02 -0800, "Bill" <billstanton@psln.com> wrote: AutoExec runs before MyMacroName. So it's up to you to structure your code such that this works for your purposes. -Tom. >How do I pass a parameter to an application >at runtime? Specifically, a parameter that >AutoExe...

How do I integrate a Barcode scanner with Access?
I want to use a barcode scanner with Access. I see many articles about barcode printing but nothing regarding the use of a scanner. I want to be able to scan a barcode and have that scan feed my form based on the information stored in my database. On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 15:05:02 -0800, booismycat <booismycat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Your barcode vendor should have some of that information for you. But essentially a barcode is simply text in a funny font, and you can scan the value into a textbox and then take it from there. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I wa...

accessing Project Portfolio server
hi ! i have SQL Server 2005 installed in standalone with the project portfolio server 2007, but when i trying to access portfolio application by using url: "http://servername/portfolioserver" with my account name and pwd, i have this error: Objet name "SfAccounts" invalid ! please help me. Have you restored or upgraded your Portfolio Server database? What that sounds like is that the default installed 'account' i the database is diffeent to what is configured in the web.config file. In your "C:\inetpub\PortfolioServer2007\PortfolioServer\web.c...

Access 2007 SP1
Dear all, the following message was posted several months ago on this newsgroup and on microsoft feedback page from access 2007 beta release ************************************************************************************* Dear all, in access 2007, I can click the "page setup" menu then the "page setup" button, and choose to print the report on a specific printer. However, after saving the report and re-opening it, he still prints on default printer. The specific printer setting is not saved with the report (this worked with all previous versions of access, it s...

OE removed access to unsafe attachments
New computer and OE will not allow ANY attachments to be accessed, even though they are safe and have been opened in other email addresses. Any ideas There is a setting in outlook that tells it to strip attachments. If you uncheck this it will allow attachments and allow you to open the attachments taken out before. >-----Original Message----- >New computer and OE will not allow ANY attachments to be >accessed, even though they are safe and have been opened >in other email addresses. Any ideas >. > tools-options-security-uncheck the do not allow attachments block &qu...

Images in tables display issue
When I insert an image into a cell within a table, I always end up with a small white gap between the bottom of the image and the bottom border of the table. This appears only to be an issue with the on-screen display, because when I print out the image the gap isn't there. This is very frustrating, as I spent a very, very long time trying to get rid of this space before I decided to print out the page to make sure it wasn't just an on-screen display issue. Is this a known bug with Windows 2003, or is there something more that I can do to make my on-screen display within...

SQL Error 'CoProcess' fail accessing to SQL data
I have two companies in my Great Plains Server, i make a backup of first company and restore that in the second. but when a attempt to access to second company whith any user, and I have this error: una obtener/cambiar primero operacion en la tabla 'coProcess' ha fallado al acceder a los datos SQL Hi Before you restored the company1 to company2, did you add the users to have acces to company2? If not you will need to add the users to company 2 within Great Plains system menu (uncheck the SQL options to apply this). Can you logon as the 'sa' user? Regards James &qu...

how do i delete cells or duplicate cells in a table ?
I went to make a table with 8 colums and 3 rows, which turned out fine..but now i need to make 3 more rows added on but half the size long with only 2 colums.. so i figure i can just duplicate or copy from my table 3 of these rows and shirk it and delete 1 cell...but trying to get help on how to add or remove cells seems the hard part ...

Visual Basic
Hi, I trying to create a table using visual basic, when i try to run it. It prompt me "No fields defined, can't append Table or Index. Anyone, could highlight to me what is the problem. My code is as follows: Public Sub PCreateTable() Dim dbs As DAO.Database Dim tdf As DAO.TableDef Dim idx As DAO.Index Dim fldTradeDate As DAO.Field Dim fldStockName As DAO.Field Dim fldRemarks As DAO.Field Dim fldCurrency As DAO.Field Dim fldClose As DAO.Field Dim fldChange As DAO.Field Dim fldVolume As DAO.Field Dim fldHigh As DAO.Field Dim fldLow As DAO.Field Dim fldValue As DAO.Field Dim fldDay...

Refreshing a pivot table #2
I have posted this question before but didn't get any replies so am trying again in the hope that somebody knows the answer.....!! When using a pivot table, is it possible to refresh only certain columns rather than the whole table?? Any urgent help would be appreciated. Thank you. Louise You can't refresh only part of a pivot table. Perhaps you could make a copy of the source data, change only the data you want updated in the pivot table, and base the pivot table on that. Louise wrote: > I have posted this question before but didn't get any replies so am trying > ...

Anonymous Access Checked off- No incoming email
I have a simple setup regarding email. Mail comes in thru firewall directly to my Exchange 2003 server. I remove the check next to anonymous access in the properties of the SMTP virtual server, I receive no incoming email(UN-checked basic and checked integrated). Everything else works fine. If I leave anonymous access with the check mark, I'm bombarded with folks relaying off me. Anonymous access is not required for any of my systems to function properly. My question is... Should this simple setup work and if so, what am I doing wrong or do I need to implement a more complex envir...

Copy data between access databases with slightly different structures
If I have 2 databases with some differences in table structure, 1 is fully populated and the other empty, how can I copy only the matching fields data from one to the other? Are there any utilities available for this? See if this is what you want. Open one database and create a link to the table in the other database. Then create an append query. You can choose the fields you want to append, leaving the other fields alone and/or use criteria to chose what records you want to append. -- Joseph E. Meehan 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math "Partha Mandayam" <partha@partha...

How do i enable domain user access from the internet to CRM ?
Hi I want to access CRM from external subnets, and log in to the web interface with a domain user account, no need for SSL, this is a test server where execs from the HQ need to access. I dont want to have to use VPN for this. When i type in the IP of the external interface of our router from the outside with port :5555 - ex http://25.25.25.25:5555, it prompts for credentials but doesnt accept domain.local\user nor domain\user, it just says HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied. IIS settings havent been modified, and are default install. Is there anyway to do this ? Thank ...

Exchange Web Access Issue
Hello everyone, I posted a while back but looks like my post got lost. Anyways, I have Exchange 2003 installed on my Windows 2003 Enterprise server. I have exchange properly setup, and the Outlook Web Access isn't changed in anyways. I'm not sure what infomation to include, so just tell me. Basically, my clients can access my server without problems on a open network, without proxies. However, when they try to access from their workplace, which uses proxys, they run into issues. The initial login is fine, everything loads. However, if they try to refresh the folder list, create email...

HR Requisitions access
I am unable to give access applicant requisitions for the company, division, position and department fields. This same user is able to enter these fields on the employee maintenance card. I have tried everything I can think of in the security setup but can't get past this. We don't want this person to see any actual payroll information (wages, etc). Thank you for any help with this. Tracey D ...

Entity framwork accessing private member variables
(The following was posted in the ADO.NET newsgroup but got no responses. Thus the posting here.) Doing some testing with Entity Framework, I have been able to get POCOs to save using the public Properties. Now I am trying to switch from using public properties to private member variables. Originally the getter and setter of the ID property were public. I have changed the getter and setter to private access and changed the name to 'id' the name of the underlying member variable. I get an error: "Mapping and metadata information could not be found for Entity T...

Large emails going to Badmail
Exchange 2003. I've been searching high and low for an answer, but no one seems to know. I have set my global settings for incoming/outgoing email to be limited to 6MB. I need to be able to override this on a user-by-user basis. So I go into ADUC and modify my account so that it is set at 20MB for both incoming and outgoing email. However, when I attempt to send a 7MB email attachment, that email goes directly to my Badmail folder without ever attempting to go out. Watching the SMTP queues in Exchanage Manager reveal that a connection attempt is never even made - straight to Badmail ...

Access Database Files Are Blocked
After downloaded a security patch I can no longer receive Access database file as attachements (MDB Files). Does anyone know a workaround? Jack Depends on the version and Service Patch but check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm "Jack Henslee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:117e901c3f4be$6e950790$a501280a@phx.gbl... > After downloaded a security patch I can no longer receive > Access database file as attachements (MDB Files). Does > anyone know a workaround? > > Jack ...

Populate image from db
I have small images stored in a SQL table as varbinary(max). How do I load that stored image into an asp.net Image control...or should I use something different? I only found an ImageUrl property but that refers to a file path. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. -- David On Feb 3, 11:26=A0pm, DavidC <dlch...@lifetimeinc.com> wrote: > I have small images stored in a SQL table as varbinary(max). =A0How do I = load > that stored image into an asp.net Image control...or should I use somethi= ng > different? =A0I only found an ImageUrl property but that refers to a ...

Smart list data not in tables
I have alot of data that for some reason is in the smart list but is not veiwed in the tables....any easy way to get the data back in the tables. MR Have you used some tool like Query Analyzer to view the suspected tables? If you will tell me the SmartList you are trying to view, I'll give you the tables. There is no way SL is showing nonexistent data; it's just a report writer. "Mike R" <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12CC49A0-FB4F-48F8-AAD8-7EBB2D973CCE@microsoft.com... >I have alot of data that for some reason is in the smart list b...

Keep Pivot Table custom chart type
I'm creating a pivot table custom chart type "Line - Column on 2 Axes". The chart looks great when I create it. The problem is when the user does anything to the chart (filters the data, adds a new flield of data, etc.), the chart changes to where both data series are displayed as bar charts and the second axis is gone. I can't find an event that fires when they modify the chart, so I don't know that I can programatically change it back. Is there a way to keep it from changing in the first place? I'm using Excel 2003. Thanks! Loss of formatting is a known prob...

Cannot access Public Folders via ESM
Hello, I am not able to view or expand the public folders via ESM. I get the same problem if I try it from the exchange server, or remote. It just hangs, no error message. I or the users don’t have a problem connecting from outlook. I’m using exchange 2003 on wind server 2003 sp1 Thanks Try restarting the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. "Marsel" <Marsel @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EBCE555-FCDD-4304-B2C4-F82E5DD1690E@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I am not able to view or expand the public folders via ESM. I get the same &g...

I want my Welcome Screen back!
I am using Windows XP Pro SP 3 I've had it setup for 4 users for the family members of my home and we use Fast Switching with the Welcome Screen (which conveniently allows you to see all 4 users, click on them to unveil a password field and then you can log in) Then two days ago I noticed some rogue "anti virus" software on there and quickly found instructions to remove it which including installing and using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software. It scanned my PC, found dozens of problems, and I had it fix them. Then when I reboot my PC suddenly no longer has ...

pivot table: create worksheetsheet using pivot table
While working in a pivot table, I accidentally created a new worksheet in my file with isolated data from the report e.g. pivot table shows all days of the month with totals for each deposit account... my 'accident' created a sheet with all the data for a single date. It turns out, this would be a useful tool for my manager, but we cannot reproduce my accident. My mouse was on the blitz and after a few solo selections the new worksheet appeared. Does anyone know how to do this (intentionally)? Please help. ...

Access conversion to SQL
Hi all. I have an application that currently connects to an Access database, now the customers are asking for a MySql and MsSql server back end database. MySql handles True and False values through the bit field without any problems, MsSql doesn't. I can't even use the words True or False in an Sql statement. This means I have to write two loads of code for every transaction where there is a true/false value involved, a complete pain. It also gives me the problem of setting controls true/false value by checking a table field: chkAdmin.Checked = GetField("select admin...