Vista, Access 2007, SQL Server 2005, Native Client, ODBC: slow for

Hi,

I have been reading the other treads about slow performance in a Access 2007
application; I have a similar thou different problem.

My application worked fine and fast in Access 2003 and Windows XP. In the
resent months we upgraded our notebooks and workstations to Vista, SQL server
to 2005 and Office to 2007. It is very hard to exactly determine when the
troubles started and what is causing it. The problem only occurs in some
forms which use a larger table (35,000 rows, not realy large).

The problem is as follows:
When I open the form with Inventory items it opens quickly, even with the
population of a combo box with all 35,000 item names in it. The form has
multiple tabs with different fields related to this Inventory table. Clicking
through these fields goes very quickly, just normal response.
When I navigate to an Inventory item somewhere down the list, suddenly
clicking the different tabs get very slow (seconds delay). Even just editing
a field and moving the text cursor around is extremely slow. This happens
when the database is on my notebook or on my Windows 2003 server. I noticed
that during this phenomena the CPU on the notebook or workstation goes up to
50% (dual core), so 100% for 1 CPU. I did SQL tracing: nothing special going
on during the slow period.
It does not seem to be Basic code we wrote is running, it seems Access is
internally looping for a while.
The problem goes away when we close this particular window and do something
else. It comes back when we repeat the procedure above.
Access is only using around 100Mb in its working set and the notebook has
plenty memory left.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Edwin

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

HTTP Error 401.3
Hi, I hope someone can help me. CRM worked fine for a while, but suddenly everybody, except the CRMAdmin account gets the following error: HTTP Error 401.3 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to an ACL set on the requested resource. The website is runnning on SBS2003 and i created the website myself before installing CRM. The folder where the webdata is stored is :\inetpub\MSCRM IUSR account does have the right permissions.. I cannot find any messages in the IIS website logfile I found some articles about this error, but i do not know where to start because they assume you have the w...

Exchange 2003 ESM and Outlook 2003 coexistance on the same client
Is there any convenient way to have Exchange 2003 ESM and Outlook 2003 coexist on the same client. I would like to install ESM on my customer service tech's machines but, as you may know, Exchange and outlook use the same mapi32.dll file. I have found a registry hack that will keep Exchange's mapping the the dll and not let Outlook mapi32.dll checking function overwrite it but it seems to break down every so ofter. For some reason it will be working fine for months, then ESM stops working and I need to reinstall again (possible due to Outlook security updates). Have any of you ...

Re: ODBC driver for CSV/TEXT file on Windows 2008
Additional info: VS 2005 - 32 bit app. I had no problem accessing various SQLserver databases in our network. Bill "Bill N" <billn@jaco.com> wrote in message news:... I need to know how to obtain and install ODBC text driver on a WIndows 2008 server. CUrrently, the only driver installed is SQLServer v 6.01.7600 The code below worked on my PC but not on the server (as a client machine). Dim csvConnection As OdbcConnection Dim ConnectionString As String = "Driver={Microsoft Text Driver (*.txt; *.csv)};Dbq=" & mcsvPath & ";" YOur...

Server-side delete all mail rule
Exchange as part of SBS 2000. I have a postmaster account to keep the RFC police happy, but I just de-assigned it from the AD admin account and re-assigned it to an account that I will never check (got tired of the junk). All that RFC requires is that it accept messages, not that I actually read them, and now I want to establish a rule to accept but delete all incoming messages automatically. However, the delete-all rule is a client-side rule, and I was hoping to never have to check the account. Ideas? Mailbox manager to purge email beyond say... 30 days perhaps for that mailbox? &q...

2007
Project desktop expert, new to Project Server 2007 and working with a sandbox implementation currently. When I use the PWA Build Team...Replace to replace a generic resource on a project with an actual named resource after first publishing a plan, my updates don't appear to be reflected in Project Server. If I check out and open the Project Plan in MSP Pro, however, the updates were made, and then if I publish the schedule, the updates appear in server. I thought when you made resource updates using PWA that they should be reflected immediately (or as soon as the request...

Outlook Web Access attachment problem
We have a program that will generate a .snp file and then email it to whatever recipient it needs to go to. If they receive the email in Outlook it will allow them to open the file properly with the Snapshot viewer. However, if they go to the same email in OWA and try to save the attachment, it attempts to save it as an .mdb file. Why would OWA ignore the original extension and try to give it a different one? "Joe Giddings" <j_nospam_giddings@thehammocksource.com> wrote in news:jI9gd.11726$ta5.6952@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net: > We have a program that will genera...

Need help getting files from Exchange Server.
We have a computer that had an account on Outlook attached to a Microsoft exchange server. Apparently for the moment, this computer and the server are inextricably tied together. Outlook cannot even be started without logging into the server because information store or whatever is missing. How do you get the information out of the exchange server to wean the computer from it? tom <Spamblocker@ameritech.net> wrote: > We have a computer that had an account on Outlook > attached to a Microsoft exchange server. > > Apparently for the moment, this computer and the > se...

With a Query in Access 2007, How can I Create This Query
I need a query that will list all records in table 1 for which there are no auditor records (Table 3). Somehow, I need to use the relationship between tables 2 and 3 to find what's not in table 1. The following query gives me a list of all records that do have auditor records. I'm at a dead end on this one. Query SELECT PTOTNamesTbl.PTOTAuditingTherapist, PTOTAuditingTherapist.PTOTFirstName, PTOTAuditingTherapist.PTOTLastName, AuditDetailInitialEval.TherapistLastName, PTOTNamesTbl.PTOTFirstName, PTOTNamesTbl.PTOTLastName, AuditDetailInitialEval.Medicare, AuditDet...

URL access
Is URL access possible in a view of "account" in CRM3.0? In addition, can you hand search condition? Hello, I searched the SDK for this, but only found out about URL addressable forms. Seems to me like you have to write a custom ASP.NET web application (grid) to write this behavior. Anyone else? Best regards, Merijn van Mourik "a-kun" wrote: > Is URL access possible in a view of "account" in CRM3.0? > In addition, can you hand search condition? ...

Slow Response time after server move to AD
I've recently moved my Windows 2003 Server running GP 8.0 from a stand alone server on a Novell network to a member server in Active Directory. The response time from client computers has slowed drastically. It also ocurred when the clients were part of Active Directory and the sevrer was still a stand alone (workgroup). Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be slowing the response time of GP, primarily on customer screens. Thanks! Ben DeGennaro ...

Incoming mail server problem
I use supanet for the internet and recently had to clear off a load of viruses and worms from my computer. Computer is clean now. I've run up to date spybot. adaware and cleaned all viruses with Mcaffee internet security as well as running stinger. Sasser, and W32 pate.b were included. Have also completed all windows updates. Everything is working fine now except my email. When I restart the computer my incoming mail server keeps changing from pop.supanet.com to a strange number. 9eg 17.02.01.10 or something similar) It also changes the user name from 3612 to 3612@supanet.com (It adds su...

lotus approach queries VS access queries.
Hi, We are migrationg from approach to access. My basic underastanding of the procedure is that the data has to be migrated and all the other features like forms and reports have to be recreated. Is 'Approach query' different from MS Access query? Can this be assumed to be replaced by Access query? cheers, Nuti ...

Access 2007 combobox will not "Auto expand"
I have a database converted from access 2003 to 2007. Now ALL comboxes will not allow the "autoexpand" functionality. Obviously I set this property to yes (both in the properties window AND programmatically). Most, but not all, of the comboboxes are populated by queries on ODBC coupled MSSQL tables. Again, in 2003, this worked fine. Anybody an idea ? Thanks in advance for any suggestions, Jos --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =- ...

Small Business Server License
My Windows 2003 Small Business Server (run with virtual PC) will not start because the demo license has expired. I was advised by Microsoft to change the date on my computer, start the server, change the license key and start again with correct date. This does not work. Can anyone give me some advice? P�l WM-data Consulting Norway Hi: Has your copy of SBS server been activated? If not, and you have an action apck or MSDN subscription, you might be able to activate the software using your keys... When you click activation it should give you a "Cannot activate" message and gi...

Open 2003 files with 2007
Hello all, I just upgraded my Office 2003 with Office 2007 on an EP Pro machine. The only snaffoo I find(so far..) is with Excel 2007. When I double-click on an Excel 2003 file, Excel 2007 starts up just fine, BUT my file is not displayed. At that point if I click the Restore button up at top-right, the file appears when Excel is restored up or down, then all is well. Anyone have any idea whats up with that and how to fix it??? Thanks John Lots of people have complained that when they doubleclick on a file in windows explorer, that the workbook doesn't seem to show up in xl20...

odbc connection with access comma is not showing
I have made a ODBC connection between NAVISION and Access. When I run the query a number "23" shows up as "2300000". I think the comma is not showing maybe because of setting problem. I do not know how to fix this. In the Navsion database figures are correct. sounds like a ODBC driver problem. Probably due to precision see http://dynamicsuser.net/forums/t/6072.aspx Pieter "Remko Strik" <Remko Strik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F83F3871-DDCB-44E7-BC50-6CAD87659284@microsoft.com... >I have made a ODBC connection between NAVISION ...

Re: Recovery from EX2000 to EX2003 Server on a new machine
Hi, i have been having serious problems with my current Exchange 2000 machine where it continously fails to load the Information store and other services at startup. i have got it up and running now but if i reboot it will fail again and only starts 1 in 10 reboots What i would like to do it create another box with Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 and move all the stores,logs and all to this new server. Is there any procedures that need to be followed to do this? and are there any complications with the AD please advise me on the correct was to do this or any documentation there is available...

Problems with reading date/time format from SQL server
Helo! I made a pivot table. I get data from external source - SQL server. On of the columns is date/time type. For some reason unknown to me, Exce doesn't read this dates correctly. Instead of dots between months an days it puts little squares .. ?!? I opened the same file on m coworkers comp. and it works just fine. If anyone has already encountered this and knows how to fix it .. plase reply. thnx j -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com There may be some difficulties getting external data properly into Excel. If not done correctly you cannot use the data in formulae e....

POP server always changes to localhost
Hello, My outlook is having a wierd issue. I have three POP3 accounts set up to check email in Outlook. After some point in time, all three will stop functioning because in the E-mail accounts settings dialog my incoming mail server will get changed to localhost, and it fails to log in to box to pull my mail. It appends the POP3 server name to my user name which seems odd. So, to summarize, my Incoming mail server (POP3) field changes from it's usual value (something like mail.server.com) to localhost, and my mail server gets appended to my user name (something like username...

How to suppress "Entourage cannot find server" message when offline?

Catalog Merge from SQL Database
I am trying to make a catalog for my business. I have successfully gotten the information out of our SQL Database using a Catalog Merge. My problem is as follows, we sell printing papers for wide format printers, the paper we sell have the same descriptions but have different sizes, part numbers, and pricing, i.e. Paper 1 comes in 36"x100' 42"x100' but both have the same descriptions as they have the same face surface. When I do the catalog merge I get the description for each and every product and it makes the catalog about twice as long. I wanted to have a descri...

Arabic languages in Vista
I work with a language keyboard developer. When you set Vista for Arabic (101), on US keyboards the Arabic left parentheses is on the 9 key and the right parentheses is on the zero key. In WordPad, Notepad, and all other applications, they are reversed. There are other problem keys: < > Anyone have a solution so that the ( ) < > characters all work on the same keys regardless of the application when typing in Arabic? I don't know what Vista has to do with it, but when typing in Arabic in Word (in a Unicode font), the parentheses work exactly as one would intuit t...

2007 Beta
Aside from a couple of niggles I quite like this. Will Beta users get any updates/fixes before final version of 2007 is released? It's impossible to say. That's up to Microsoft.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 "Jeff" <jeffxx@hotmail.com> wrote in message = news:A0Ehg.18242$A8.10806@clgrps12... > Aside from ...

Linked Table Manager Doesn't Work in Access 2003
I recently upgraded to Access 2003 and have found that the menu option: Tools/Database Utilities/Linked Table Manager no longer works correctly for re-linking my front end database to the backend. No tables show in the table list. If I click “Select All” and then fill in the path to the backend database I get the following error message: Method ‘List’ of object ‘IfieldListWnd’ failed. As a work around I have to delete all the table links from the front-end and then File/Get External Data/Link Tables. Is anybody else having this problem? Thanks in advance for your help. "...

Access violation in CDaoQueryDef::Open or CSimpleStringT::GetLength(). VC++ 6.0 app compiled in Visual C++ .NET
Hi, I have a problem using DAO in Visual C++ .net Standard edition. We have an old project created in Visual C++ 6.0 Professional. The projects compiles, links ok (with a lot of warnings telling the DAO-classes are deprecated). The compiled program executes ok until I am about to access the database. Some accesses goes ok, but some are not. It is always the same databse accesses that the program crashes on. The database that I'm using is Access 97. I also have tried converting it to 2000 and 2002. In this function the crash occurs in daocore.cpp: void CDaoQueryDef::Open(LPCTSTR lpszName...