I have a split database where the users have a local copy of the frontend.  I would like to use VBA to check whether the users have the mostrecent version.  I have set up the following tables:tVersion-Back-End (link to table in the BackEnd version)tVersion-FrontEnd (local table in the FrontEnd version)Each has a field Version where I am planning to put in the versionnumbers.Now, I am just starting to use VBA in my Access projects.  Can someonepoint me to some coding to accomplish my task above?  Can someone alsopoint me to a good resource (book, website, course) that would take mefrom a beginner/novice VBA user to a moderate user?Thanks!!
0
none
3/26/2007 7:43:45 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Tony Towes has a script that checks it for you. It creates a shortcuton the desktop and whenever the user opens from the shortcut, itchecks to see if the user has the latest version. If they don't itcopies the new version to their local machine.no sense in recreating the wheel...http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/autofe.htm-a
-1
doodle
3/26/2007 7:55:19 PM
Thanks.  I was hoping for something a lot simpler that would justnotify the user that s/he may not have the latest version of the form/front end.Thanks.
0
none
3/26/2007 8:17:59 PM
none wrote:> Thanks.  I was hoping for something a lot simpler that would just> notify the user that s/he may not have the latest version of the form/> front end.> > Thanks.> I mention one way to do that here:http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.access/msg/804793b1757293f6James A. FortuneMPAPoster@FortuneJames.com
0
James
3/26/2007 9:37:11 PM
if I were you; I would jsut use Access Data Projectsthere isn't as much maintenance because queries are stored in oneplace-- on the database serverit's just a much more mature environment than anything else like MDBOn Mar 26, 12:43 pm, "none" <rwinte...@yahoo.com> wrote:> I have a split database where the users have a local copy of the front> end.  I would like to use VBA to check whether the users have the most> recent version.  I have set up the following tables:> tVersion-Back-End (link to table in the BackEnd version)> tVersion-FrontEnd (local table in the FrontEnd version)>> Each has a field Version where I am planning to put in the version> numbers.>> Now, I am just starting to use VBA in my Access projects.  Can someone> point me to some coding to accomplish my task above?  Can someone also> point me to a good resource (book, website, course) that would take me> from a beginner/novice VBA user to a moderate user?>> Thanks!!
0
Todos
3/26/2007 11:22:05 PM
and I would reccomend that you get into SQL SERVER not into AccessOn Mar 26, 12:43 pm, "none" <rwinte...@yahoo.com> wrote:> I have a split database where the users have a local copy of the front> end.  I would like to use VBA to check whether the users have the most> recent version.  I have set up the following tables:> tVersion-Back-End (link to table in the BackEnd version)> tVersion-FrontEnd (local table in the FrontEnd version)>> Each has a field Version where I am planning to put in the version> numbers.>> Now, I am just starting to use VBA in my Access projects.  Can someone> point me to some coding to accomplish my task above?  Can someone also> point me to a good resource (book, website, course) that would take me> from a beginner/novice VBA user to a moderate user?>> Thanks!!
0
Todos
3/26/2007 11:22:35 PM
"Todos Menos [MSFT]" <todos_menos_msft@hotmail.com> wrote:Note that this person is really A a r o n   K e m p f and that he is not an employeeof Microsoft.Tony-- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP   Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can read the entire thread of messages.   Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
0
Tony
3/26/2007 11:51:34 PM
Logically, if the user doesn't have the latest version of the front-end, you are going to download a new one. So it seems efficient, unless the front-end is unusually large, or there are a lot of users, to just replace the front-end with every new usage. That has the added advantage of always having a fresh copy that never needs compacting, and never has any corruption.-- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVPhttp://www.datastrat.comhttp://www.mvps.org/accesshttp://www.accessmvp.com"none" <rwinter75@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1174938225.566750.87470@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...>I have a split database where the users have a local copy of the front> end.  I would like to use VBA to check whether the users have the most> recent version.  I have set up the following tables:> tVersion-Back-End (link to table in the BackEnd version)> tVersion-FrontEnd (local table in the FrontEnd version)>> Each has a field Version where I am planning to put in the version> numbers.>> Now, I am just starting to use VBA in my Access projects.  Can someone> point me to some coding to accomplish my task above?  Can someone also> point me to a good resource (book, website, course) that would take me> from a beginner/novice VBA user to a moderate user?>> Thanks!!>
0
Arvin
3/27/2007 2:50:14 AM
"none" <rwinter75@yahoo.com> wrote > Thanks.  I was hoping for something a lot > simpler that would just notify the user that > s/he may not have the latest version of the > form/ front end.You'll find an article on "versioning" at http://accdevel.tripod.com.  It may describe just what you are interested in doing. Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP
0
Larry
3/27/2007 7:28:23 AM
"Todos Menos [MSFT]" <todos_menos_msft@hotmail.com> wrote > and I would reccomend that you get into SQL > SERVER not into AccessNote that this person is _still_ A a r o n   K e m p f and that he is _still_ not an employee of Microsoft. Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP
0
Larry
3/27/2007 7:30:36 AM
Thanks for all of the input.
0
none
3/27/2007 3:02:26 PM
"Todos Menos [MSFT]" <todos_menos_msft@hotmail.com> wrote innews:1174951353.069752.288480@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com: > and I would reccomend that you get into SQL SERVER not into AccessAnd what the hell would you use for a front end, Aaron?-- David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/ usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
0
David

Reprint Payables Checks Issue
Currently we are using stub on top and bottom ML Check Format to be able to print Canadian Standard Checks within the accounts payable module. However if there is an error on one of the checks and we select to reprint once the batch is finished printing, the check format reverts back to the standard check on stub and bottom that comes with great plains instead of the ML Check format that we printed originally. Has anyone else had this issue ?? Or does anyone know of a way to resolve this? Are you selecting the check format when you print checks? You can change the default check form...

insert a check box...how?
I want to insert some check boxes in a spread sheet. I just want to be able to click on the box and have the check appear and click on it again to have it disappear. I don't want any data related to this box...can this be done? Thanks View|toolbars| show the forms toolbar There's a checkbox on that toolbar. click on it once draw a little rectangle where you want the checkbox. (If you double click on the checkbox, you can draw multiple checkboxes. Click on that icon or hit the escape key to stop.) If you hold the alt key while positioning the checkbox, it'll snap-to the c...

How to sent for cell: font size=7,text format in VBA
I am losting "font size" and "text format" in Cells after I do .Range().Clear I wonder how to set in VBA: - font size for cell - formatting "text" for cell Excel XP. I am not sure about translation of above because I use Polish version of Excel. Thanks for help, Mark Hi Maybe you can use ClearContents instead If not post back and I give you a example -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "netx" <user72wytnij@go2.pl> wrote in message news:42f78ef0$0$15476$f69f905@mamut2.aster.pl... >I am losting "font size" and &...

which imf version do I have
I have had exchange sp2 installed and imf has been activated. I am having a lot of trouble getting it to work(have followed all links and from previous posts have had no luck). Everything has been set up correctly. I have tried to re-install exchange sp2 but it now states that the older version of imf is installed and to remove before updating. How did sp2 instal the first time. Their is nothing in the add/remove programs. How can I see the old version if it exists or is their software that can detect which version(s) are installed. (Now I am confused) You have IMF v1. Follow this to u...

Sharing calendars with different versions of Outlook
I have 2 users who need access to another user's Calendar. The 2 users have Outlook 2000 2003 respectively. The user they are wanting to access has 2002. I can find ways to share calendars within 2002 and 2003, but I can't find anything on how to let the 2000 user view as well. Any suggestions? Thanks! You need to share the calendar. And give then access to read iteam. And it will work fine as long as they are in the same GAL (Global address list) Matt >-----Original Message----- >I have 2 users who need access to another user's >Calendar. The 2 users have O...

SQL 2005 Upgrade Still Says Version 8.00
Hello: We upgraded SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 last week. No issues arose. But, when we opened the SQL Server 2005 Management Studio, the phrase "8.00.0276" appeared next to the name of the SQL Server on the left (above databases and so forth). That sounds like the SQL 2000 version number. Does that mean that the upgrade did not actually happen? I have documentation on how to upgrade SQL 2000, and we followed it. Isn't it just a matter of putting in the 2005 CD, telling it what instance to upgrade, and "doing it"? I retried the upgrade, and SQL said...

I see my chosen background in front page but I can't select it
I use the same background on every page but my home page now has a plain white background. I see the marbled style in faint letters so I can't select it No Link to webpage No way to Help you "Helen" <Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:245C86A7-FA1D-45F2-BBA4-F313A21446F2@microsoft.com... > I use the same background on every page but my home page now has a plain > white background. I see the marbled style in faint letters so I can't > select > it Where do you see the greyed out style? Do you have a web site open? ...

Programming for different version of EXCEL
I am going to start a program that will be used on multiple computers. Some have EXCEL 2003 and some have 2000. My development machine has 2003. If I supply the interop DLL from my computer to the machines running 2000 will my program be compatible? if not what is the best way to go about starting this project? Personally I have developed programs on 2K that would not run on 97. I only imagine there are similar problems among other version changes. The only solution I've found is to do the development in the oldest version you expect to be used. The compatibility in that dir...

Subform shows over control set to bring to front.
I have a text box and a rectangle filled in. I also have a subform that I wish to be behind the text box and rectangle until called. Subform is set modal=no, popup=no. Problem is: Even sending subform to back and controls to front....the subform always shows through. Is there a way to resolve? Or do I have to make all subforms invisible until called? -- Thanks for your help, Chris ...

Best Practice Error Checking
As a rule of thumb, is it better to let the DB engine throw an error back to the caller, or do you do it in your SP code? In the case of a user already existing in a table, should I check that at the start of my SP, or let the Engine catch it as a PK violation and send the message to to client? Always looking to improve my code... I bet you this is one of those ... It depends ....... Thanks Paul > As a rule of thumb, is it better to let the DB engine throw an error back > to the caller, or do you do it in your SP code? In the case of a user > alread...

Simple Valication Check... Question
Using VS2008 I have an app that has an edit box that contains the Clients Age. I'm doing the validity check when the edit box looses focus. This works great when the user clicks a button that runs the application. However, if the user clicks Run App from the menu, the edit box does not loose the focus... therefore the check is not made. I can tell you that the code for File>Run does nothing more that call the ::OnFileRunapplication What's the easiest way to resolve this? Seems like I need to loose the focus of the edit box before making a call to ::OnFileRunap...

Printable manuals GP version 10.0 on Windows 7
Hi, I have a client that has installed Windows 7 Professional client operating system. They are on version 10.0. The Printable manuals that are accessed via the ? help button do not open. The table of contents of the manuals is available but when you click on a particular series it does not open. They have installed Adobe PDF version 9 latest service packs but this has not fixed the issue. If i locate the manual through windows explore and the documentation folder under GP i can open the manual. Can anyone assist? Thanks -- Geoff James ...

skipping payables check numbers in 8.0
Hello: I think I know what the solution is here. But, I want to double-check my thinking with you all. The client has a check format with stub on top and bottom. When they print checks on the fly, the vouchers print twice on the stubs. I found a TechKnowledge on PartnerSource which says to delete the Payment Stub Duplicate File table (PM10801). Fine. Now, I have not had a chance to go onsite to help them yet. But, just yesterday they called and said that they printed several checks on the fly in a batch, posted the batch, and not only did the duplicate voucher data appear on the s...

Check mail headers
Is there a function in Outlook to check & display mail headers only? On 10 Apr 2004 02:53:58 -0700, si.law@bigfoot.com (Monk) wrote in microsoft.public.outlook: >Is there a function in Outlook to check & display mail headers only? Other than from the message list pane: RightClick/Options..., or when reading a message: View/Options...? See also: <http://www.slipstick.com/mail1/viewheaders.htm> Or, you might try <http://daesoft.com/SpamSource/>. -- Michael Bednarek http://mbednarek.com/ "POST NO BILLS" ...

Retrieve all record if check box = 0 (Not checked)
Hello, I would like to see ALL (0 and -1) records if my check box in my form is not checked (0) and if checked (-1) I would like to see only record with -1 (with check mark) This is what I have, but as expected it will return only record with 0 OR -1 SELECT tblSite.Site, tblSite.Lab FROM tblSite WHERE (((tblSite.Lab)=[Forms]![My Sites Groups]![CheckLab])); Thank you, Silvio Try this -- SELECT tblSite.Site, tblSite.Lab FROM tblSite WHERE tblSite.Lab = IIF([Forms]![My Sites Groups]![CheckLab] = 0, Between -1 AND 0, -1); -- Build a little, test a little. "S...

Do I need the latest excel program?
I have excel 97. Do I really need to update to a new program? (I don't have alot of usage for excel). "=?Utf-8?B?YWRwaGlsbGlwcw==?=" <adphillips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:EDA2C228-8B78-40C0-849D-5DF2298FEE7E@microsoft.com: > I have excel 97. Do I really need to update to a new program? (I don't > have alot of usage for excel). > If you feel that you can do everything that is needed, why would you? -- It is I, DeauDeau (Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo) adphillips wrote: > I have excel 97. Do I really need to updat...

DPM end user recovery issues
Servers OS: 2008 R2 Clients: Vista, Windows 7 Existing DPM: 2010 RC PROBLEM: Unfortunately the network was recovering from a forced-removal of the previous DPM 2007 SP1 Server. The Server was simply removed from the network without de-installation. DPM 2010 RC was subsequently installed and appeared to be working correctly except for EUR (End user Recovery). According to the admin the EUR AD wizard was run successfully. Users are not able to view previous versions despite the fact that the RPs exist on the DPM server. Restores from backups have been tested on the new serve...

Outlook Spell Check #3
Using Outlook in Office 2003. The spell checker keeps reverting to English (US). No matter how many times I change it to English (UK) it still goes back to US. Anyone got any ideas to change it permanently? Help would be appreciated! -- Matt White What do you have your keyboard language set for? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, Matt White asked: | Using Outlook in Office 2003. | | The spell chec...

Outlook should check message text for reference to attachments
It is often embarrassing to find after you have sent an important message that you have forgotten to attach the files that you referred to in the message. As attachments are often referred to in the body of the message e.g. "please find attached...", Outlook could check for certain words "attached, attachment, enclosed... etc" when the send button is pressed and then show a reminder if these words are in the message but no files have been attached. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with...

Money 2005
I upgraded my money 2004 file to money 2005. I then turned off MSN Bill Pay and set up my accounts to be accessed on the web. After synchronization, my MSN Bill Pay account (MSN-Checking) showed up in my account list. I want to link this account to my checking account, but when I select "Merge Duplicate Accounts", it states there are no accounts to merge. The help file tells you to follow these exact steps. Does anybody know a work-around to get this working? Thanks in advance, Brian Don't follow the directions given. Instead, try the following: Open your 2004 f...

ost2pst full version--HELP!
does anyone have the key code? TIA, Mark Since you purchased this product perhaps you should contact the supplier "xx" <x@x.com> wrote in message news:OZmc4kDxDHA.2528@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > does anyone have the key code? > > TIA, > Mark > > ...

Error Message on Front PC
I have v1.3 SO with 2 PC's. Everything works fine, but when I try to create a PO on the front PC with "based on reorder info" I receive a run-time error message that specified module could not be found. Meanwhile the back PC works fine. Have I made mistake in setting them up? Thanks Does the from PC have access to the report libraries? -- John M. "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DB95F667-3D87-4154-9A12-506200B46538@microsoft.com... >I have v1.3 SO with 2 PC's. Everything works fine, but when I try to >create...

Another question about IF(COUNTIF) checks in Excel
<Tiff1618@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:219EB429-F90A-406E-A208-5C787ED70467@microsoft.com... > > Hey again, > > > > Is there a formula I can use to figure out if there is one specific phrase > > in a selection? > > > > I'm updating the attendance prgram at the school that I work at. Every > > student has their own attendance sheet in Excel, and each sheet sort of > > looks > > like this: > > > > |Monday| > > Period 1:| A | (A=Absent; S=Seat time) > > Per...

How do I extract the month end value from a daily time series?
Hi. I have a financial time series (a two column array consisting of the columns 'date' and 'price') containing weekday values of a stock price. Weekends are missing, non trading weekdays are shown as n/a. I want to extract the calendar month end value only. I don't want to take monthly averages, or assume 30-day months the whole year round, or any other shortcut. I just want the spreadsheet to recognise the row in the spreadsheet with a price that is the last day of the month. For example, for this year, I would want to extract 12 rows (from an array of about 260) ...

how can i open an e mail with attached file that ends with xls
hello i got an e mail with attached file that ends with xls and i cant open Do you have Microsoft Excel installed on the computer you are using to open the attachment? -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "ganymede" wrote: > hello i got an e mail with attached file that ends with xls and i cant open ...