Using multiple databases

I have three seperate databases - all do a differnt function using a seperate
database that holds all the data in tables (i.e. one uses queries to export,
one to import, one for reporting only) - and I want to keep all of the
databases seperate.  Can I create another database that just has a form that
works as a dashboard and connect to the other three to do functions.

Essentially, I want to be able to select an option to open reports, import
data, or export data and do it without opening the other databases seperatly
(a function that each database will perform on it's own when selected)
--
Jessica
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Jessica,

Actually, why not have one front end?  Why did you create separate front
ends to do different tasks?

I would create one front end (or dashboard) and let all the Users use it.

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

"Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I have three seperate databases - all do a differnt function using a
seperate
database that holds all the data in tables (i.e. one uses queries to export,
one to import, one for reporting only) - and I want to keep all of the
databases seperate.  Can I create another database that just has a form that
works as a dashboard and connect to the other three to do functions.

Essentially, I want to be able to select an option to open reports, import
data, or export data and do it without opening the other databases seperatly
(a function that each database will perform on it's own when selected)
--
Jessica

0
Gina
5/21/2010 11:30:13 PM
I am a little unsure of what you mean by "one front end".  One of the reasons
we are keeping the databases seperate is because each database has a large
amount of queries to complete all of the functinos we are wanting to do with
the data.  Having all of these functions is a lot to put into one database
(way to many queries), and will get very confusing.  I am pretty Access savy
and if I can create a dashboard that runs functions in others, I am sure that
I can do it.  I was just hoping to get a 'yeah' or 'nay' as to wether it can
be done before I put a lot of time and research into it.
--
Jessica

"Gina Whipp" wrote:

> Jessica,
>
> Actually, why not have one front end?  Why did you create separate front
> ends to do different tasks?
>
> I would create one front end (or dashboard) and let all the Users use it.
>
> --
> Gina Whipp
> 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)
>
> "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors
> II
>
> http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm
>
> "Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have three seperate databases - all do a differnt function using a
> seperate
> database that holds all the data in tables (i.e. one uses queries to export,
> one to import, one for reporting only) - and I want to keep all of the
> databases seperate.  Can I create another database that just has a form that
> works as a dashboard and connect to the other three to do functions.
>
> Essentially, I want to be able to select an option to open reports, import
> data, or export data and do it without opening the other databases seperatly
> (a function that each database will perform on it's own when selected)
> --
> Jessica

Jessica,

Well, even though you were unsure you answered my inquiry... though I have
some pretty *query heavy* databases I can see why you might want them
separate.  To answer your question, yes you can create a *dashboard* that
links to all to give you one central location.  However, in essence you are
creating one front end that accesses all the databases.

--

"Gina Whipp" wrote:

> Jessica,
>
> Actually, why not have one front end?  Why did you create separate front
> ends to do different tasks?
>
> I would create one front end (or dashboard) and let all the Users use it.
>
> --
> Gina Whipp
> 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)
>
> "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors
> II
>
> http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm
>
> "Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have three seperate databases - all do a differnt function using a
> seperate
> database that holds all the data in tables (i.e. one uses queries to
> export,
> one to import, one for reporting only) - and I want to keep all of the
> databases seperate.  Can I create another database that just has a form
> that
> works as a dashboard and connect to the other three to do functions.
>
> Essentially, I want to be able to select an option to open reports, import
> data, or export data and do it without opening the other databases
> seperatly
> (a function that each database will perform on it's own when selected)
> --
> Jessica

0
Gina

Excel in multiple sessions
A collegue is attempting to access data using vlookup in a spreadsheet from a second spreadsheet which is opened in a separate session on his workstation. It appears that multiple sessions of excel can't 'see' each other. Collegue needs to have multiple sessions as he uses lots of spreadsheets with LOTS of formulas. Attempting to open these sheets in single session usually results in crashes and lost work. Does anyone out there know anything about this? Using Excel 2000 on Windows 2000 Professional sp4. Thanks =vlookup() worked ok for me--but by having the workbooks in separ...

Multiple Chart Report
I wish to have a multiple chart report displaying 1 chart per Employee displaying the Categories he has worked his hours in. I have a query that when Run gives me the Data I expect from which I build a Report with the Chart in the Detail Section. I have an EmployeeID group which has the EmployeeID number in. What I get is a Chart I want with all his hours displayed as required, but then followed by the same chart a number of times depending on how many Categories he has worked on e.g if he has 6 Categories, I get 6 charts the same, if he has done 2 Categories, I get 2 charts ans so on for al...

Using "and" Instead of "or" Operator in Outlook 2002 Rules
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C56B5D.0176CA60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I want to create a rule that looks for "word1" and "word2" in the = subject line of a new message, and if found, move the message to a = specified folder. When creating the rule, though, the only operator = available for multiple words in the subject line is "or", whereas I want = **both** (not **either**) words present to satisfy the conditions for = executing the move. H...

hOW TO USE eXCEL FUNCTION
=IF(AND(M26<=7501,N26="A"),M26*G12,IF(AND(M26<=7500,N26="B"),M26*F12),IF(AND(M26<=7500,N26="C"),M26*E12),0) SO THAT I AM ABLE TO UNDERSTAND IF SALARY OF EMPLOYEE LESS THEN 7500 AND GRADE IS A THEN 10% OR GARDE IS B THEN 8% OR GRADE IS C THEN 6% OR NOINCREMENT Hi, I think this is what you want =IF(AND(M26<7500,N26="A"),M26*G12,IF(AND(M26<7500,N26="B"),M26*F12,IF(AND(M26<7500,N26="C"),M26*E12,0))) -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest a...

Inserting Multiple Worksheets?
Is it possible insert multiple blank worksheets into a workbook? I.E. I want to insert 20 fresh worksheets without having to insert one shee 20 times. Also, supposing I have a set of tabs with each one corresponding to th day of the month, is it possible to somehow drag more worksheets tab that would continue the naming system -- Mr Zer ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Mr Zero's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1558 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27724 Hi you can insert...

My Outlook is compromised and being Used to Send SPAM
Hi Folks......I recently discovered that my Outlook (2003 SP3) was compromised. I have Symantec AV which scans my mail before sending. Recently it popped up with a scan when I had not send anything. I found nothing in the "Sent Files" folder. Later I got a rejected mail notice which I examined. The headers looked like they came from me, down to the name of my PC. I've seen "spoofed" e-mail data, but this did not look like it was spoofed. Now I'm more aware of the issue and have noticed several other occasions when mail was going out but not something th...

Multiple IE Windows Opening
I know this is an old issue and I have looked for an answer but seem to get conflicting results. I have Vista Business x64 and IE8. Randomly, upon closing IE, a flury of IE windows will open. I have used Malwarebytes and Spybot. I have very few add-ons. Any suggestions about where else to look? I am assuming the cause is some malware or other nasty. Thank you for your help. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these a...

using the Lotus 1-2-3 file import, numbers command in excel
how do i use the lotus 1-2-3 file import, number command in an excel spreadsheet? this command in lotus..allows me to just import numbers, no text is imported..i do not want to import text...please advise..im trying to convert a lotus spreadsheet to excel and i need to figure out how to do this in excel ...

CRM 3.0 & SQL 2005 Database Mirroring
Hi Could anyone settle this. Can CRM 3.0 make use of SQL Database Mirroring as a high availability solution. I believe that this is only possible with CRM 4.0 but a colleague assures me that it will work with CRM 3.0? Thanks ...

Explorer doesn't use 64x64 icons
Apologies for posting here but I can't find an appropriate forum. Our main application icon is available in 16x16, 32x32 and 64x64 versions. However, when Windows Explorer displays it in Tile or Thumnail view, which should show the 64x64 version, it appears to stretch the 32x32 version. This looks horrible and appears to have scaling artifacts around the edge. The other views look fine. Does anyone know why it does this and how to stop it? Cheers --- Al. You sure its not trying to show 48x48 (which I believe is more 'standard' than 64x64)? "TVR Fan" <nosuch@ad...

write Avi/wmv file using bmp images
How to write Avi/wmv file using bmp images I would think you'd want some sort of authoring package. Do you just want to show them one after another? If so you may be able to use something like: http://whorld.org/temp/BmpToAvi.html But, if you want to do anything fancy you'll want something like Premiere so you can lay out the timeline. Tom "Unknown" <gaurav.samsung@gmail.com> wrote in message news:8ae3fde3-a48d-4dfd-8bc4-2b609a14fc46@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com... > How to write Avi/wmv file using bmp images ...

multiple SQL Jobs running
I have a customer that is having issues with SQL jobs being duplicated. The SQL jobs include db backups and data imports. The result of this issue is that there would be duplicate backup (.bak) files and multiple data imports. This fill up disk space fast and the data imports are corrupted. If I stop SQL Agent or the SQL jobs, those SQL backups and imports still run, but it does only one instance! However, it's a mystery of how it's being processed since the SQL agent and jobs are disabled. This issue just started to occur over the past two weeks. We tried rebooting ...

How can I allow users to sort a protected table using dropdowns?
I'm trying to create a table where users can't edit the content of the cells but can edit the ordering of the table- what's the best way to achieve this? Stuart, I've written this code some time back for one of my users and it works perfectly for them. Maybe you would like to adapt to suit your needs.. Sub Sort_pr_range() ActiveSheet.Unprotect 'Unprotect the sheet Range("A1:F100").Sort Key1:=Range("B1"), _ 'where "B1" will be the sort pri Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _ OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase...

Showing multiple pages of a workbook
How can I easily show 2 pages of a workbook on the same screen and sync the scrolling? Jim Rech posted this: http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=eGtL9Sbu%24GA.207%40cppssbbsa03 It may do what you want (well, if you change it to Trues). And I think that I've seen posts that this is built into xl2003. (but not sure) If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm RBS wrote: > > How can I easily show 2 pages of a workbook on the same screen and sync the > scrolling? -- Dave Peterson D...

How do I set up a way to add up the number of lines used when cal.
I am doing a worksheet. On this chart I want to track the price of an object sold. Along with that I want to add up the number of the objects that have been sold, by just adding up the number sold in a column. Is there a way to do this, beside creating another column and putting a qty in it. It sounds like you want to use =countif() (if each object is singular) If you have quantities, maybe using =sumif() Debra Dalgleish has some nice counting/summing instructions at: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions01.html and http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions04.html Nixco wrote: >...

Multiple Outlook Profiles Open at One Time
Hi, I pull mail from an Exchange server (through POP) - to keep it on my own box. However, I need to save most items - thus I run into the large .pst file. I have thought about setting up a new profile every three to six months - but I always need to access my older mail. Is there a way to open more than one instance of Outlook - to different profiles at one time? Or does anyone have any other suggestions. I've tried other files - on the outlook bar - however they are not configured like email messages. Thanks, Patty Multiple profiles would be overkill here. All you need ...

malibox size warning message multiple times
the "Your mailbox has exceeded one or more size limits set by your administrator" message is being sent to users once an hour instead of once a day. where is the setting to change this?? thanks Rich, Depending on the version of Exhange: 5.5 - Properties of the Private Information Store container. Limits tab. 2000/2003 - Properties of the Maibox Store that owns the mailbox in question. Limits tab. Hope that helps...MMS -- Malvin M. Seale, MCSE, MCSA Microsoft Product Support Services (Exchange) malvins@online.microsoft.com * Please do not send email directly to this alias....

Do a two way lookup and get the result in multiple columns
Hi, I have a worksheet with data on store sales: StoreLoc Date Sales$ A 10/28/2005 $100 A 11/04/2005 $150 B 10/28/2005 $200 B 11/04/2005 $250 B 11/11/2005 $300 B 11/18/2005 $350 C 11/04/2005 $300 C 11/11/2005 $350 C 11/18/2005 $400 D 11/11/2005 $400 etc. I wanted to do a two-way lookup on StoreLoc and Date and get the sal...

joining up files to one database
i got a few files i want to join to gether to make one file, so when i click it, all the tabs are at the bottom of the page? hope you understand that cheers for the help Shed, You'll need to do a Move (Edit, Move or Copy Worksheet) to move each sheet (or a copy of) into a common workbook. Then save that. No magic button. Shortcut: Right click a worksheet tab -- Move or copy worksheet is there too. Or you can tile (Window, Arrange) the two workbooks (get them both on the screen simultaneously), and drag the tab from one workbook to the other. Hold the control to copy instead of m...

Problem attempting to use "Send To" feature
I have a user who's getting a problem when attempting to use the Send T Mail Recipient (as Attachment) feature of Excel 2000. Sometimes it will generate an "Interface Not Registered" error sometimes Excel will just hang (able to End Task on it). When attempting to use the same feature in Word, the following erro occurs: "Word couldn't send mail because of MAPI failure: "Unspecifie error"." MS Outlook is the default email program, and we're running Exchange McAfee is our virus program. I've ran System File Checker, full Windows Updated her workstat...

Outlook Archive NOT using Modified date
Is there anyway to force Archive to look at sent or received and not consider the modified date to archive items. We put in a new server and migrated all the mail to the new server so now the modified date on all emails has changed to that date. Now everything looks only a couple of months old even email from 2 and 3 years ago. I need to get archive to ignore the modified date. Any way to do this? No. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engine...

get list of used namespaces
Hi all, I load an xml file into XmlDocument object and would like to get a list of namespaces used in the file. How can I get a list of namespaces used in xml file? Thanks. helpful sql wrote: > I load an xml file into XmlDocument object and would like to get a list > of namespaces used in the file. How can I get a list of namespaces used in > xml file? XPath has a namespace axis for namespace nodes which are in scope for a given element node, here is an example using an XPath expression with SelectNodes to output all namespace nodes (those explictly given and th...

How to use colmn headings in paramter query
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am not able to locate it if it has. But here is my delima: I need to be able to select the salesperson sales based on the month (1-12) from table 1. I* can create a parameter query, but am not sure hwo to query onlya certain month. table1 ID salesperson 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 joe 12 0 0 2 12 0 1 1 5 7 8 10 2 steve 2 5 6 18 0 0 2 3 4 11 12 1 select * from table1 where salesperson =joe and .... that is where I get stuck. I need to be able to select a column he...

Exchange mailbox recovery using Exchange DB files
I've shifted my Exchange 2003 machine to a new machine configured it and created all user accounts/mailboxes same as in old Exchange server and everything is working. I've all the Exchange DB files from old machine HDD i.e. .edb, .stm, ..log files as it is. But I don't have any type of backup using backup utility, but I have copy of all old Exchange files. How can I transfer mailboxes/mails from old machine to new one. I already studied Microsoft's Exchange 2003 Disaster Recovery Guide, and KB article "Offline Backup and Restoration Procedures for Exchange" ...

Extracting invoice data from GP 9 using a SQL query (ODBC)
I'm working to extract invoice detail information from a client's GP 9 MSSQL database, with the goal of being able to mock up their invoices in external systems. Just to keep things interesting, they aren't using GP to it's maximum ability - quotes are generated from another software package, and when converted to a sale, minimal data is entered into GP and processed (such as shipping address, job name, job number, PO number, and occasionally a line it of what appears to be free-form text. I have hard copies of several invoices, various web resources, and access to t...