Using Excell to input data into Access

Is it posible to use an excel spreadsheet to enter data into access?

The actual reason for using excel to enter the fields in access is that over
100 of our users are familiar with excel, but do not know anything about
databases. They actually call excel a database about 1/2 of the time.
We work in a contract research facility that does lots of different projects
in several scientific disciplines of varying complexity. I started using
databases to store my research data in back in the 80's with db3. We did not
even have an IT department until about 2 years ago. I have been trying to
drag our company into today's world for the last 15 yrs, and am convinced
that the only way I'm going to get this done is if I create excel worksheets
that they fill out and the data goes into a database that I can then show
them what benefits and additional data evaluation techniques are available.
 B Bedal

0
billb
5/13/2007 8:54:19 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

If you set up good data entry forms for them in Access it shouldn't matter
if they don't know anything about databases. You'll be way better off and so
will they. I've heard the same arguments in the past and it never fails that
once they see what can be done in Access they'll never want to go back to
using Excel as a 'database.'

Your biggest problem will be setting up an Access application that can
handle multiple users simultaneously. Would all 100+ users be entering data
at the same time?

Brian

"billb" <bill80003@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Is it posible to use an excel spreadsheet to enter data into access?
>
> The actual reason for using excel to enter the fields in access is that
> over
> 100 of our users are familiar with excel, but do not know anything about
> databases. They actually call excel a database about 1/2 of the time.
> We work in a contract research facility that does lots of different
> projects
> in several scientific disciplines of varying complexity. I started using
> databases to store my research data in back in the 80's with db3. We did
> not
> even have an IT department until about 2 years ago. I have been trying to
> drag our company into today's world for the last 15 yrs, and am convinced
> that the only way I'm going to get this done is if I create excel
> worksheets
> that they fill out and the data goes into a database that I can then show
> them what benefits and additional data evaluation techniques are
> available.
> B Bedal

0
Brian
5/13/2007 10:05:07 PM
no maybe 20-30 at a time

"Brian Smith" <dcg_brian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you set up good data entry forms for them in Access it shouldn't matter
> if they don't know anything about databases. You'll be way better off and
> so will they. I've heard the same arguments in the past and it never fails
> that once they see what can be done in Access they'll never want to go
> back to using Excel as a 'database.'
>
> Your biggest problem will be setting up an Access application that can
> handle multiple users simultaneously. Would all 100+ users be entering
> data at the same time?
>
> Brian
>
> "billb" <bill80003@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Is it posible to use an excel spreadsheet to enter data into access?
>>
>> The actual reason for using excel to enter the fields in access is that
>> over
>> 100 of our users are familiar with excel, but do not know anything about
>> databases. They actually call excel a database about 1/2 of the time.
>> We work in a contract research facility that does lots of different
>> projects
>> in several scientific disciplines of varying complexity. I started using
>> databases to store my research data in back in the 80's with db3. We did
>> not
>> even have an IT department until about 2 years ago. I have been trying to
>> drag our company into today's world for the last 15 yrs, and am convinced
>> that the only way I'm going to get this done is if I create excel
>> worksheets
>> that they fill out and the data goes into a database that I can then show
>> them what benefits and additional data evaluation techniques are
>> available.
>> B Bedal

0
billb

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Problem with "Use Unicode Format when saving messages"
In outlook we have option to set "use Unicode format when saving messages"(outlook>tools>options>other >Advanced options),even though option is enabled, when ever I try "save as" the email into folder, it is showing Html format by default.However can drop down the list and select the Unicode format. But I need Unicode message format to be shown by default if I need to "save as" any email. Any Suggestion ? Regards, Sam That is not possible and that is not what this option controls. The option controls whether the default safe fo...

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

New to excel

Reporting from Project Server