Using a value from a previous Record to Perform a Calculation?

I have a Append query that looks up a particular date range I specify and
gives me a count, for received and loaded dates that meet that range.  From
those 2 numbers the query also subtracts Received - Loaded=Backlog.  See below
ID          Received            Loaded              Backlog              New
Backlog
1                 0                      0                      0
               0
2                 5                      3                      2
             ??????

What I need is for the query to lookup the New Backlog value from the
previous record and perform this calculation on the same query....
          Previous New Backlog + New Received - New Loaded = New Backlog

I have used the formula below in the same append query however it does
return the value, it returns a blank to the table:
          Expr1: DLookUp("[New Back Log]","tbl_TOTALS OPPD","[ID]=" &
[ID]-1)+ [Received] - [Loaded]

I append these values to the table (tbl_TOTALS OPPD).  The query works for
everything but the New Backlog.

Any help will be GREATLY
APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Chris Cantu wrote:
> I have a Append query that looks up a particular date range I specify and
> gives me a count, for received and loaded dates that meet that range.  From
> those 2 numbers the query also subtracts Received - Loaded=Backlog.  See below
> ID          Received            Loaded              Backlog              New
> Backlog
> 1                 0                      0                      0
>                0
> 2                 5                      3                      2
>              ??????
>
> What I need is for the query to lookup the New Backlog value from the
> previous record and perform this calculation on the same query....
>           Previous New Backlog + New Received - New Loaded = New Backlog
>
> I have used the formula below in the same append query however it does
> return the value, it returns a blank to the table:
>           Expr1: DLookUp("[New Back Log]","tbl_TOTALS OPPD","[ID]=" &
> [ID]-1)+ [Received] - [Loaded]
>
> I append these values to the table (tbl_TOTALS OPPD).  The query works for
> everything but the New Backlog.
>
> Any help will be GREATLY
> APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.ms-access/browse_frm/thread/65b2425ca504beb9

I posted some SQL that dealt with data where the order entry mattered.

Note particularly Steve Jorgensen's post:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.ms-access/msg/8e89cbe86d787bfa

and my comment here:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.ms-access/msg/3d6c614fcab0fc93

"To summarize, using the order of the records to compare
values from the previous record(s) will often lead to nasty situations
like this."

The prospect of running sums is not much better.  See:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.ms-access/browse_frm/thread/d1606d48c9a1fdb3

Lyle's comment about the report being the preferred solution is still valid.

I think Allen Browne's web site has an inventory database.  Than might
have computations for OnHand or Backordered quantities obtainable from
table sums.  Try to get around using the previous record first.  If you
can't and the calculation is a simple one, a subquery might be able to
find the previous record and compute the value you're looking for.  Post
back if you need help with this.

James A. Fortune
MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com
0
James

visual basic

Using mouse wheel in VB editor

Use exchange from a trusted domain

IsOutLookClient() returns wrong value

How Use ShellExecute with a CMemFile

Date Calculation

Calculating totals
I have two columns on a worksheet: "Project Codes" and "Totals." I would like to have columns on another worksheet that will automatically total up the different project numbers "A,B,C,etc." How do I do that? Thanks in advance for your help, Technically Handicapped Enter a *unique* list of your "Project Codes", starting in A2 of Sheet2. In B2, enter this formula: =SUMIF(Sheet1!A:A,A2,Sheet1!B:B) And copy down as needed. -- HTH, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the G...

Using INDIRECT within functions

Value is BLANK

me too, problem with import... only 15 records
me too, problem with import... only 15 records.... also in one of my customers crm i need a fast answer.... I dont see a question to answer...? JUAN MARKETING wrote: > me too, problem with import... only 15 records.... also in one of my > customers crm > > i need a fast answer.... Hehe yeah, what is the question!? what are you trying to import? Sorry, I don't know the reason, bu each time i try to import x number of accounts or contacts, MSCRM only import 15 records... Promise, everything is ok... columns, format csv from excel, size, records.... I say that, becau...

Subquery
Hi, I'm trying to code a subquery on a table but to no avail...it's a very simple table that has Date (short date, just recording the day) and NAV which is a number (double). All I'm wanting to do is have a query that displays the Date, the NAV and the NAV from the day before - only recording business dates. In other words, the subquery number I want is the NAV from the record preceeding the current one. I've got as far as the below, but that just gets the same NAV number as today's: SELECT tblNAV.Date, tblNAV.NAV, (SELECT LAST(x.NAV) FROM tblNAV as X LEFT JOIN tblNAV on...

How to use count for calls per hour

How to Identify Records with Overlapping Dates
I need to be able to systematically identify any instance where there are overlapping date ranges in a data set. I need to pull records like those listed below out of a larger data set. I previously posted a question similar to this and was advised to pull the same table in a query, match on Member Number, and qualify that the product code from TableA did not match product code in TableA_1 where the Begin Date TableA was < Term date TableA_1 and TableA_1 Begin Date < TableA End Date. Which worked great for me finding overlapping records where the product was different, bu...

y value vs x
In an xy scatter plot one can choose the type of line connecting the data points (smooth, straight, etc.). Once this is done, Is there a simple way of determining the y value of graph for a specific x value without doing successive approximations with 0 shifts. I'd rather not purchase a graphing program just for this simple task. You could find an equation that fits the data (see trendline) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "ralph" <ralph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:284B39DE-20C6-40CB-AB60-39B...