Urgent - how to disable user from making new queries

Hi,

We're migrating the end-user reporting from MS Access to SQL Server.
However, we face a problem that our users have built a very large no. of
queries/reports on MS Access.  We expect it would take months to migrate to
the new platform.

We anticipate at the changeover time, some queries are still not yet
migrated.   So, we need to have a method to stop user from buiding new
queries in MS Access but allowing use of existing ones.  Now, they are using
ODBC accont to connect from MS Access to Oracle database.  And, each time
they run /build a query, they would need to type in the password. We can't do
it by just changing the password as all the queries could not be used anymore.

Any one can help, many thanks !!

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

If your database is split, it would make no difference if they create as many
queries, forms, or reports as they need. They would only be making them on
their copy of the front end. You should not be allowing users to create on
your main copy of the database.
--
Milton Purdy
ACCESS

"How to disable user making new query" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're migrating the end-user reporting from MS Access to SQL Server.
> However, we face a problem that our users have built a very large no. of
> queries/reports on MS Access.  We expect it would take months to migrate to
> the new platform.
>
> We anticipate at the changeover time, some queries are still not yet
> migrated.   So, we need to have a method to stop user from buiding new
> queries in MS Access but allowing use of existing ones.  Now, they are using
> ODBC accont to connect from MS Access to Oracle database.  And, each time
> they run /build a query, they would need to type in the password. We can't do
> it by just changing the password as all the queries could not be used anymore.
>
> Any one can help, many thanks !!

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 18:39:01 -0800, How to disable user making new
query <How to disable user making new query@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We're migrating the end-user reporting from MS Access to SQL Server.
>However, we face a problem that our users have built a very large no. of
>queries/reports on MS Access.  We expect it would take months to migrate to
>the new platform.
>
>We anticipate at the changeover time, some queries are still not yet
>migrated.   So, we need to have a method to stop user from buiding new
>queries in MS Access but allowing use of existing ones.  Now, they are using
>ODBC accont to connect from MS Access to Oracle database.  And, each time
>they run /build a query, they would need to type in the password. We can't do
>it by just changing the password as all the queries could not be used anymore.
>
>Any one can help, many thanks !!

Milton gave you a good answer, but to answer your question more
directly:

There's no easy way to do this.  Well, you could implement Access user
level security, assuming you're still using the MDB format.  But
that's complicated.  And the users could always create another new
database and create their queries there.

Armen Stein
Microsoft Access MVP
www.JStreetTech.com

0
Armen

Removing multiple users from Outlook

Web query timeout setting.

Setting up a new e-mail account

Non-VBA way of making custom menus.

Disable Scanmail & Typical VM Largest Block Size
This is how to disable Mailscan as per Trend Support. Stop all Scanmail services and unregister the event sink. To unregister SMTP event sinks: 1. Open the command prompt. 2. For SMEX 7.0, go to the ..\Program Files\Trend\SMEX folder 3. Run the toolSmtpEventSink.exe /unreg command. After doing this the VM Largest Block Size does not decrease below 70 meg. But 70 meg seems low to me. Is 70 meg typical? -- Brett ...

Re-enabled user account cannot log in
In trying to troubleshoot and issue in CRM where I had multiple user accounts for a single ADUC user, I tried disabling and re-enabling a user's account. But even after re-enabling the account the user cannot log in now. The error message says that it is disallowed when he tries to browse to the CRM server. Please help, I need to get this user account working again asap. Joel ...

SQL query / Formula for Reorder Point?

IM Add New Batch
GP 10 on 2003 Terminal Server. How do you create a Payables Batch in the IM in preparation for importing to the Payables Transaction destination? Alternatively, how must GP be set up to ensure that the “Add New Batch” rule works correctly? With the Add New Batch rule set the IM crashes (see my post Integration Manager 10 Crashes). Additionally the characteristics of the Add New Batch rule do not match the required information which I understand to be Origin and Checkbook ID. I figured there might be some default settings for Origin and Checkbook ID in the setup somewhere but was not a...

How do I disable the handicapped feature in Excel?
Someone in my office turned the handicapped feature on and now you have to hold the key down for a couple of seconds or the letter never appears. Does anyone know how to reverse this? Duh! Nevermind. Not an Excel problem. Control Panel - Handicapped feature. Thanks. "TIrish" wrote: > Someone in my office turned the handicapped feature on and now you have to > hold the key down for a couple of seconds or the letter never appears. Does > anyone know how to reverse this? ...

Moving exchange 5.5 to a new server exchange 2003
Good day all... how do I move exchange 5.5 to a brand new exchange server 2003. The new server will be in a new organization. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ray http://www.microsoft.com/usa/webcasts/ondemand/2340.asp http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en- us;exch2003 Patrick Rouse Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server >-----Original Message----- >Good day all... how do I move exchange 5.5 to a brand new >exchange server 2003. The new server will be in a new >organization. Any info would be greatly appreciated. > >Thanks, >Ray > >. ...

OWA user can only see subject
Hello friends, OWA users are unable to see their mail. Only Subject field is visible, without mail contents(No message is visible). Our outlook is working fine. Any ideas why this is happening and how we can solve this. Regards Guri ...

Query involving Strings : How To Return Matching Data From Both Ta
Good afternoon, I have tried my best on this but am unable to figure it out. --------------------------------------------------------------------- Scenario: Table A contains only one column titled [District]. Let's assume that there are three rows here: 1) Bay Area Rapid Transit 2) San Diego Zoo 3) San Mateo Table B contains other data with these fields: [GeoCode] , [CountOfHourlyEmployees], [CountOfSalaryEmployees]. Let's assume that there are three rows here: 1) West Coast | CA | Bay Area Rapid Transit , 154, 205 2) CA | Southern | Bay Area Rapid Transit , 105, 206 3) Southw...

How to export users list from MS-Exchange AD Users&Computers?
Hello, I want to export my exchange mailbox-enabled users list with their Given Name+Surname and e-mail address.. I get this kind of list from ActiveDirectory Users&Computers but I can not export it.. I know that there is a program somewhere that does what I want, but I can't remember it's name.. Note: I don't mean LDIFDE tools.. Thanks for your help. Capricorn As always...be careful and test things in a lab first, please. LDIFDE tools can be pretty ugly... CSVDE will work and it is possible to limit the columns that are output by CSVDE. Note: If you have a large ...

Making month boxes in Calendar transparent
I have been trying to create a calender where I use my own background. However, the boxes with the month information block most of the background because they are not transparent. Is there a way to change this so that the background is visible through them? Thanks for any help. Calendars are tables, select the cells, select fill, click *no fill* -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Kat Lomas" <Kat Lomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DB63402F-D428-4F76-BE91-029CF4EEA8CC@microsoft.com... >I have been trying to create a calender where I...

Wake up, 97 Query in 2000/03
I've converted a 97 database to 2000 (seems to do the same in 2003) and one of the select queries gives me no records when there should be quite a few. I tried copying the SQL to a new query and, lo and behold, it works fine. It feels like the SQL isn't compiling properly. Is there a better solution as I've got loads of these queries, hardwired into a number of reports and it's going to take a while to go through them all. The only thing to say about this particular query is that it was written some time ago and the designer was obviously happier with writing by hand ...

Query to Pull Most Recent Call with a Callback Date Scheduled
Hello, I'm trying to create a query that only pulls in patients that have a scheduled callback date, but only if the callback date was scheduled on there most recent call. So far I've been unsuccessful. Below is the SQL that I'm attempting to use- SELECT [Patients Table].[Patient ID], [Patients Table].[First Name], [Patients Table].[Last Name], [Patients Table].[Home Phone], [Patients Table].[Day Phone], Max([Call]) AS Expr1, [Calls Table].[Call Outcome], [Calls Table].[Callback Date] FROM [Patients Table] INNER JOIN [Calls Table] ON [Patients Table].[Patient ...

access- dynamic select query
hai, I hav database table with 17 fields.While retrieving data, user must be able to select any of the 17 fields ( it can be 1 or more than 1 ), that is decided by the user at runtime.how should i write the SELECT query for this one.I am a newbie to ms-access. Please help me out.. On 19 Mar 2007 22:23:38 -0700, subhadrasn@gmail.com wrote: >hai, > I hav database table with 17 fields.While retrieving data, user >must be able to select any of the 17 fields ( it can be 1 or more than >1 ), that is decided by the user at runtime.how should i write the >SELECT query fo...