Update table field by content in another field in the same table

My table has OriginatorID and Originator fields. I want the OriginatorID
field to update automatically when content is entered in the Originator field.

The table that contains the data for these fields is called ASSIGNEES. It
has three fields: ID (primary key-autonum), ASSIGN-NAMES (text), and
EMAILADDRESS (text).
Originator ID in the table is the same as ID in the ASSIGNEES table.
ASSIGN-NAMES is the content for Originator field .
Thank you in advance for yuor assistance.
Linda

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

I am not 100% sure that I understand what you are attempting to
achieve however, I will give you some feedback based on what I can
gather from your post.
Essentially it sounds like you have an Assignees table that lists the
name and email of people. You also have a related table that you want
to relate records to a specific person (Originator?).

The way this is typically done is that the Assignee_id only  (Not the
name also) will be stored in the related table as a foreign key to the
assignee table. This will allow you to display any of the person's
(Assignee's) information when working with the related table by way of
joining the 2 tables in a query or combo-box or directly through Sql.

Typically on a data entry form for the record containing the
originator field, you would have a combo box that display's the
Assignee/Originator name and when the name is selected, the
appropriate Assignee_Id is stored in your record.

It sounds like you are close.

HTH
0
techrat
12/18/2009 1:12:52 PM
Thank you. Your post got me going in the right direction.

"techrat" wrote:

> I am not 100% sure that I understand what you are attempting to
> achieve however, I will give you some feedback based on what I can
> gather from your post.
> Essentially it sounds like you have an Assignees table that lists the
> name and email of people. You also have a related table that you want
> to relate records to a specific person (Originator?).
>
> The way this is typically done is that the Assignee_id only  (Not the
> name also) will be stored in the related table as a foreign key to the
> assignee table. This will allow you to display any of the person's
> (Assignee's) information when working with the related table by way of
> joining the 2 tables in a query or combo-box or directly through Sql.
>
> Typically on a data entry form for the record containing the
> originator field, you would have a combo box that display's the
> Assignee/Originator name and when the name is selected, the
> appropriate Assignee_Id is stored in your record.
>
> It sounds like you are close.
>
> HTH
> .

Quotes won't update
Ever since I installed Money Deluxe 2004 on a new PC I bought in April individual stock quotes stopped updating. All my quote updates were working in Money 2003 Deluxe prior to the 2004 update and the new computer and they are still working on my old computer. ALL OTHER INFORMATION ( PROVIDERS, MONEY UPDATES, ETC.) ARE WORKING AND NEVER CEASED WORKING. Individual quotes and the portfolio totals are not being updated, even though the date stamp in the lower left hand corner shows the correct date and time of the update and the message says the updates were successful. Microsoft phone...

Changing Resource and fields on a subform
I have a subform with fields on it that are present when i first open the form. But when I click on a status button, I'd like the subform to change the fields that are present. For instance when i first open the fields are formid, lastname, firstname, subject, date, range But when i click on formstatus button, i'd like the fields to show: formid, subject, range, product I know how to use recordsource to change the recordsource, but then the fields that I am not using show up as #name? How do I get the subform to change field names so that the fields I am not using, doesn't show ...

Form fields vs. document properties
I'm creating common templates for multiple dealers of the same product. For example, one dealer may open my "Client Guide" document and all he needs to do is update approximately 20 fields and he is done. I'm using the standard document properties fields for my company information, but there are 10+ more unique fields I need to do this for. I've been trying all night to use quick parts, building blocks, etc. to accomplish this but I am really struggling. I can use a fill-in field, but it prompts for the field every place I use it. I've enabled th...

Highlighting Updated Records
Hi I wonder whether someone may be able to help me please with a problem I have with a db I'm working on. I have a subform with approx 15 fields on it where on any given day can have their data amended, added or deleted. What I would like to do is to capture which records have been amended in a report within a given month. I know how to show which records have been updated by adding another field to the table which has a date stamp but my problem is as follows: I would like to actually show the individual fields which have been updated, rather than the whole record. Now I ha...

Pivot table and it's macro
I am creating a table and from the table a pivot table using a macro. When I run the macro the table gets created without a problem but when it goes to create the pivot table I get an error and the debugger highlights this section: ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlDatabase, SourceData:= _ "Table8", Version:=xlPivotTableVersion12).CreatePivotTable TableDestination _ :="Perf Tables!R2C8", TableName:="PivotTable1", DefaultVersion:= _ xlPivotTableVersion12 Can anyone see where the problem is happening? My ...

Migrating Mailboxes from one domain to another domain
I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to do something and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I need to migrate user mailboxes from one server to another, easy enough right... well here is where my issues are. server one is in say abc.local domain server two is in say xyz.local domain there are the same users in both domains, with the same naming convention. so to clear that up if i have a user called ttest in domain abc, user ttest is also in xyz. the old administration had seperated these domains due to function and security, but now they want to...

how to only show first 20 words of a memo field
I have a memo field on a form, how can i show the first 30 characters and add 3 periods after the first 30 words. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200711/1 Use the Left function and add 3 periods: Left(string, length) & "..." "sheniece via AccessMonster.com" wrote: > I have a memo field on a form, how can i show the first 30 characters and > add 3 periods after the first 30 words. > > -- > Message posted via AccessMonster.com > http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums...

Pivot Table % of
I have a pivot table like the followng: Joe Trans Ct A 5 B 3 C 2 Total Joe 10 Kelly A 6 B 1 C 4 Total Kelly 11 I added another Count of Trans shown as a "% of column", but it gives me the percent of the entire column when what I really want is the % of Total Joe, % of Total Kelly, etc. In this instance I simply made the names go across instead of down which solved the problem, but there are instances where I don't want to do that. Any suggestions for getting the percent per item rather than pe...

Pivot Table Updates Issue
My Data had a coloum containing stuff like Marketing Department Sales Department Shipping Department I built a bunch of pivot tables on this data. Then I changed the data to read: Marketing Dept Sales Dept Shipping Dept and performed a Refresh Data. Now, on the filter pulldowns on any of the Pivot tables, I see Marketing Department Sales Department Shipping Department Marketing Dept Sales Dept Shipping Dept The first three option no longer exist in any of the data, and I do not want them in the list. How to fix this problem without recreating and reformatting 38 seperate Pivot table...

Pivot table row header
Hi, In a pivot table, I have 2 fields in the row section. How can I have the value on the first fields to repeat in every row instead of just showing once? Thanks!! Try Debra Dalgleish's page at: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html Fill Blank Cells Fill Blank Cells Programmatically* [*Sub FillColBlanks() 'by Dave Peterson 2004-01-06] -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08549CBC-68A7-442E-BABF-D48B11E29479@microsoft.co...

Transferring Outlook to another computer
What files must be transferred to move outlook, all folder setups, shortcut bar things to another computer so that it comes up just like it was before? It would be helpful if you posted your versions. The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "...

How to record the audio which playback by another program.
Hi,every one. I'm doing a work ,which need record the audio playbacked by other program ( winamp,realone e.g.). By the way,can't I could record from mic if other program is used. Thanks. If you have a good idea tell me please! Have a good job! You can use some utility like AllSoundRecorder or so on .. They directly pick up the sound which goes through the soundcard of your pc and save it in mp3, wav or some format .. but buddy, you have posted the question in the wrong group.... "BlueCrystal" <cxzh9888@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%235wCyxxyFHA.2424...

create pivot table formula without the GETPIVOTDATA function
Previous to Excel 2003 I could use a pivot table result in a formula and copy that formula as a relative reference. In Excel 2003 a GETPIVOTDATA fromula is created and uses an absolute reference. Is there a way in Excel 2003 to either make it arelative reference (without editing the formula) or revert to the method used in all prior releases? There are instructions here for adding the Generate GetPivotData button to a toolbar, and toggling the feature on and off: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot06.html ebergkes wrote: > Previous to Excel 2003 I could use a pivot table resu...

Keyboard shortcut for editing links with updating
Can some one post the keyboard shortcut: When editing a link in a worksheet I don't want it update with new value when I hit Enter because it takes long to update(going over anetwork) and have many links to edit. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi there, There isn't a shortcut that I know of per se - what you can do is go to Tools-->Options on the Calculation tab change it from Automatic to Manual. This will apply to all links and calculatio...

Updating Standard Costs
I'm looking for an easy way to update all of our standard costs so that they can be used for quotational purposes. Unfortunately, the only way that it seems I'll be able to accomplish this is if I can create some sort of SQL script. Depending on what the difference is (percentage) between the current cost, and the current standard cost they want the new standard cost to be the current cost * x% (where x is going to vary). We're using the Horizons Manufacturing Suite, and I don't believe it has this capability. Anyone else been in this situation before? How did you a...

Cost Update Method
I'm using POS 2.0. The manual and the help information indicate you should be able to update costs throught the Store Settings > Options > Inventory screen. I do not have the 'Cost update method" options listed on that screen. How can I have my costs updated using the weighted average method? Go to File>Configuration>Inventory, in Store Operations Manager. You should be able to select Weighted Average as your Cost Update Method. "BikeShop" wrote: > I'm using POS 2.0. The manual and the help information indicate you should > be able to up...

Pass a command text in pivot table
I've got a pivot table with data give back by odbc (in excel 2003). When i pass a new sql command, it answer me the database, also if i pass the connection string. My code is this: With ActiveSheet.PivotTables(sNamePivot).PivotCache .CommandText = sSelect .Connection = "ODBC;DSN=DS;DB=" & NomeDB & ";SRVR=;UID=SYSADM;PWD=" .Refresh End With sNamePivot --> string variable contain the correct name of the pivot table. NomeDB --> string variable contain the database. sSelect --> variable contain the sql command. Why does it called me ...

Pivot Table: showing data as % of subtotal
Hi, I have pivot table data in this format: Name Type Amount ABC 1 $100 2 $200 3 $300 4 $400 ABC Total $1,000 DEF 1 $150 2 $260 3 $310 4 $420 DEF Total $1,140 and so on .... .... .... I want to see the data as follows: Name Type Amount % ABC...

Icons changed in Favorites since update
Just updated windows latest update - and now the icons in my favorites have changed to a "square with a star" - at least 80% are like this - what happened. Thanks for anyhelp ...

how to update calendar in publisher 2007
Why doesn't calendar wizard update the dates when you change the month? It only changes the month, so I end up starting from scratch. What am I missing? sjn The calendar wizard works okay, it is there on the right when you select calendars. You may have to scroll down a little. It says "Set Calendar Dates" The Design Gallery calendars wizards are missing, this is a bug I hope will be fixed in the service pack. If you are asking about custom dates and appointments, they will have to be typed manually on each month, or copy and pasted. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office...

DPM 2007 : Failed to update end-user recovery permissions
I have DPM 2007 installed on Windows 2008 SP2 backing up a file server also running Win2k8 SP2 (able to backup other systems without issue) Everytime it runs a sync job it produces a warning which is instantly resolved saying that ================================================ Status: Active Computer: BE-FS-01.ad.domain Description: Failed to update end-user recovery permissions. The operation failed because of a protection agent failure. For more information, open DPM Administrator Console and review the alert details in the Monitoring task area. ======================...

how to create referential integrity between two tables in diff dat
How can we create referential integrity relationship between tables in different databases. I have databasea db1 and db2. In db1->TableA,db2-->TableB TableA-->EmpID,EmpName TableB-->EmpID,DeptNo. How to create integrity relationship between Empid of two tables in diff databases. Hi Ajay You cannot create DRI between databases, I mean create PK/FK... However , you can simple join the tables between databases like SELECT <columns> FROM db1.tb1 T1 JOIN db2.tb1 T2 ON T1.col=T2.col WHERE.... "Ajay" <Ajay@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Using the Where clause in an update query
Code below was entered into the "Update To" field while writing a query in design view (Wizard)...As a result the "...operand without and operator..." dialogue box shows up. The intent is to update a number identification field to: "061-" & forms!main!line &"-"& equipmentlistings!numberset where forms!main!equipment = equipmentlistings!equipmenttype &"-"& forms!main!method Equipmenttype and Numberset are from the same table, equipmentlisting, all stored as text. Equipmenttype is chosen from a form. I&#...

Adding row to table in Publisher 2003?
I created a table in Publisher 2003 with two rows and four columns. I added four pictures to the 1st row ( one in each column), and added the text in the 2nd row (each text item to correspond with the picture above). Now I wanted to add a row above the first 1st because I wanted to add a title, then put a border around the table. But when I select Table, the first row, and select Insert Row ABOVE, the row always ends up BELOW the row I selected. What do I need to do? Thanks for help! Susan I cannot duplicate this. Are you highlighting the complete row? You need to only place your curs...

Percentages in Pivot table
i have got a query looking at Sales History against Forecast and want to see the accuracy to forecast as a percentage in a pivot table. The fields I have are ActualSales ForecastQty Var: IIf([ForecastQty] Is Null,[ActualSales],([ActualSales]-[ForecastQty])) Perc: [Var]/[ActualSales] This all works fine if I run the query but when I try and put it into a pivot Table it doesn't like it and crashes. Is there a different way to handle this in Pivot tables. Thank you Hi Is this not possible could somebody let me know please. Thanks "Nicky" wrote: > ...