update query 01-11-08

I tried to use update query to update data that I didn't have prior to
inputting the rest. I get the data whenever my supervisor can give it
to me which is hours worked. I made a query with the criteria as null
hours. When I change the query to update query the date and employee
id fields ( which is part of the original query field) disappeared. It
only left the worked hours field which I can't update because the date
and employee id field disappears so I don't know who's hours or what
date I am updating.
0
hawaiitowman
1/11/2008 7:21:37 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hi,
it's always a good idea to have a backup of your data. You could make a
backup on close each time you have added new data or edited the data.
While you are experimenting with update queries, it is always good practice
to make a copy of the main data table before you use an action query
(update, append, delete) on it.

Another idea which would help save you from this sort of grief, is to work
out exactly how to do these queries to update the data and put them in code
on a form and use the form to do all your data changes.

Jeanette Cunningham

<hawaiitowman@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I tried to use update query to update data that I didn't have prior to
> inputting the rest. I get the data whenever my supervisor can give it
> to me which is hours worked. I made a query with the criteria as null
> hours. When I change the query to update query the date and employee
> id fields ( which is part of the original query field) disappeared. It
> only left the worked hours field which I can't update because the date
> and employee id field disappears so I don't know who's hours or what
> date I am updating.

0
Jeanette
1/11/2008 7:38:07 AM
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 23:21:37 -0800 (PST), "hawaiitowman@gmail.com"
<hawaiitowman@gmail.com> wrote:

>I tried to use update query to update data that I didn't have prior to
>inputting the rest. I get the data whenever my supervisor can give it
>to me which is hours worked. I made a query with the criteria as null
>hours. When I change the query to update query the date and employee
>id fields ( which is part of the original query field) disappeared. It
>only left the worked hours field which I can't update because the date
>and employee id field disappears so I don't know who's hours or what
>date I am updating.

Perhaps you could open the query in SQL view and post it here. It would also
help to indicate what fields there are in your table, and how you're
determining which record should be updated.

If the criterion is JUST that the hours are NULL, you'll be updating every
record in the table with null hours, no matter what the date and the employee
ID might be, unless you're somehow indicating which employee and date you
mean!

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
1/11/2008 11:37:41 PM
On Jan 11, 1:37=A0pm, John W. Vinson
<jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 23:21:37 -0800 (PST), "hawaiitow...@gmail.com"
>
> <hawaiitow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I tried to useupdatequerytoupdatedata that I didn't have prior to
> >inputting the rest. I get the data whenever my supervisor can give it
> >to me which is hours worked. I made aquerywith the criteria as null
> >hours. When I change thequerytoupdatequerythe date and employee
> >id fields ( which is part of the originalqueryfield) disappeared. It
> >only left the worked hours field which I can'tupdatebecause the date
> >and employee id field disappears so I don't know who's hours or what
> >date I am updating.
>
> Perhaps you could open thequeryin SQL view and post it here. It would also=

> help to indicate what fields there are in your table, and how you're
> determining which record should be updated.
>
> If the criterion is JUST that the hours are NULL, you'll be updating every=

> record in the table with null hours, no matter what the date and the emplo=
yee
> ID might be, unless you're somehow indicating which employee and date you
> mean!
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0John W. Vinson [MVP]

Updating the table with null hours is what I need to update but
without knowing who's hours and the dates it makes it impossible to
update.
0
hawaiitowman
1/12/2008 6:36:00 PM
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 10:36:00 -0800 (PST), "hawaiitowman@gmail.com"
<hawaiitowman@gmail.com> wrote:

>Updating the table with null hours is what I need to update but
>without knowing who's hours and the dates it makes it impossible to
>update.

Well... exactly.

If you had the information on a stack of paper timecards with no name and no
dates on the timecards, how would you update it?

I guess I don't understand the question. How can Access (or any program)
update records when you have no idea which records you want to update!?

It sounds like I'm misinterpreting the situation; could you describe it again?

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John

OpenRecordset method is gutting query
I have a select query that pulls a date criteria from a simple form. Query: CompleteDate Field: submittedDate Criteria: Forms![Form1]![txtStartDate] This works quite exactly as expected when I open the query normally to view it. However, the form also has a command that initiates some VBA code to cycle through the records in the query and perform an action with each one. The code fails with the dynamic criteria shown above BUT runs fine if I manually enter a date as the criteria or omit criteria. When ever the following line of code is executed Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("CompleteDat...

Ask to update link
from time to time the option ask to update link is false, I change it to true but it change later by itself to false. Does anybody know how to fix it? ...

Sorting in a Report 02-01-10
I am using Access 2003 I created a Db to list and sort products by Lot #. I made this field a text field because the Lot #'s sometimes contain letters as well as numbers. Ex: 6408986 J1-3, 5-28-1, 6408986 I2-4, P2-1-2 and 6408986 G4-H1-2. When I sort the list, it comes out funny to me. For example: 6408986 J1-3 comes before 5-28-1. I thought it should be the other way around 5 before 6. Ex #2: 6408986 I2-4 comes before 6408986 G4-H1-2. I thought that it should be the other way around G before I. Can anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong or thinking wrong? I th...

cell format #11
Hello, Can anyone help? If i export from Access to Excel i can get the cell in Excel to look like this: Joe Bannister 123 Holly Lane Spa England The cell format is general with wrap text. Does anyone know how to do this in Excel without exporting from Access? I've tried wrapping text, different formats etc but nothing works. One thing i did notice is that when i right clicked the cell and chose format cells the content of the cell was the whole text but with square boxes seperating the parts as above. Any help appreciated. Cheers Joe If you're trying to type more than...

Season dates query
Hi Guys I have a requirement to select dates within a season. The seasons are linked to different wildlife in the Db. The season for different animals runs from a specific date to a specific date which is the same every year. How can I represent this in a query so that I can get back all the dates within the required season for a specific animal type for all years in the Db? I have started with a table for the animal type with a season start date and a season end date but Access wants to add a year to the date which is one of the paramiters that I do not want as I need every year! Anyo...

Unable to update
Outlook 2002 / XP I know this appears to be a sproadic problem for many but I can't find the solution. Error message - 'Unable to update public free/busy data.' Trying not to gum up this ng, I have searched MS KB, web sites, and this ng history but the solutions I have found do not help. These include using the clear(?) switch when opening Outlook Checking the Calendar Options|Free/Busy options (no check marks) I found one reference to registry changes but no guidance This problem did not occur until I switched the Default pst (I use 2) used when opening Outlook....

link excel charts to web pages and update charts automatically
I want to create a chart, put it up on a webpage and when I update the data I want it to update the chart and update the chart on the webpage. I've used the "Save as web page" feature but this only creates a static gif and not a dynamic link. Anyone got any tips? Bueller? Bueller? As far as I know there is no automatic way to get Excel to update a chart on a webpage. You could record a macro that does just that and have the macro run whenever you update the data (or better yet when you save the workbook) but any solution you come up with will require some amount of VBA...

Help with update query and unbound combobox
Hi - I have created a form that will collect employee information. On this form I have a field for City, State and Zipcode that will be stored in the employee table. I also have a table called zipcodes that contains every zipcode in the U.S. along with the City and State associated with that zipcode. What I'm trying to do is when the user enters the zipcode the record in the employee table will be updated with the correct City, State and Zipcode that is in the zipcode table. I created an update query "FindZipcode" with the parameter/criteria "Enter your zipcod...

Outlook 2000 security update
Does anyone know how to disable the Outlook 2000 security update? which one/why ? N "Jeremy" <jeremylee1975@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:01dc01c3ce3e$3509e140$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to disable the Outlook 2000 security > update? ...

FWD: Check this security update for MS Windows
--kzbaidhjuwdobcs Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="dqvmlbzfxgvp"; type="multipart/alternative" --dqvmlbzfxgvp Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="tmncypgpudslj" --tmncypgpudslj Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now...

Need help auto-updating chart data sources.
Am trying to automate a spreadsheet that has been copied and pasted by hand for way too long. Here's what I need to do. Spreadsheet DOR auto-updates spreadsheet AGING. Now I'm needing to have the corresponding charts in AGING update with the newly added data.. Let's say that column A contains dates that that are used to populate the Z axis on my chart.. The Z axis of my chart always displays 6 dates worth of data.. What I'd like to have happen is when AGING is opened and auto-updated, the corresponding charts also update. Dropping the 1st position Z axis label (date) and ...

query across two access databases
Hey guys, does any one knows if we can query on different databases? like: SELECT t1.*, t2.* FROM db1.table1 t1, db2.table2 t2 WHERE XXX thanks a lot In some contexts you can specify the file name with IN, e.g.: SELECT * FROM t1 IN "C:\MyFolder\MyFile.mdb"; -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Naure" <Naure@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DCBA861B-C812-4BBC-B6F2-FE06B2E470C1@microsoft.com... > Hey guys, ...

Territories 08-10-05
We have 25 Territories and when I enter the first one, say #101, and add John Smith as the manager, when I create 102 I am no longer able to pick John Smith as the manager. His name does not show up in the list. He manages about 8 of the territories. How do I get around this? The other 2 manager also manager a number of territories. Thanks! Shauna Unfortunately, in MS CRM a manager can only manage 1 territory. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:45:02 -0700, "Shauna Koppang"...

Criteria on Query based in a list of another Query
I have a Query Named: WODispatchLinkedtoExcel_QueryCurr and I have many datas on it, and a column named [Planner] also I have another query named: Query_ActivePlanners and a column named [Planner_Code] where it shows Planner Code availables.. What I want is to show in the first query only those datas which the value is in Query_ActivePlanners I have this criteria.. WHERE ((lbl_PlannerCodes.Planner_Code) Is Not Null)); but it shows all datas. please help Thanks -- Lorenzo Díaz Cad Technician In WODispatchLinkedtoExcel_QueryCurr, use the Add Table dialog (toolbar) to add Query...

AllUser query-based Distribution Global
Hello All.. I have a question, I created a global group for all users in my organization using a query-based distribution global e-mail enabled group, now what I notice is that this created am extra e-mail for all my users with some digits, example: 1ekj32@domain.com and while this works fine for everyone sending to the all users group it changed all the users primary e-mail address from the correct e-mail address to the one with the number, so when users send e-mail out it actually goes out using the number@domain.com instead of username@domain.com. Now I could manually change the primary...

LDAP querying in order to minimise SPAM (Exchange 2000)
Hi everyone, I currently have an E2k box which is protected by a 3rd party anti-spam box in the DMZ. although this works quite well for catching spam, 30-40% of my traffic is still NDRs from emails coming in to people that do not exist in the organisation. I want to try getting another box sitting outside, before the 3rd-party server which would query the AD by LDAP and only forward messages if they match the AD list. I am sure quite a few people have done something similar so I am looking for advice! Many thanks, Johnny "Johnny Noitargim" <jm@nospamplease.com> wrote: ...

Signatures and MS Updates
We have a customer that says everytime windows performs updates Microsoft Outlook 2003 loses the signature when creating new messages. They say that it has to be re-applied. Have you have come across this? No. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After furious head scratching, David asked: | We have a customer that says everytime windows performs updates | Microsoft Outlook 2003 loses the signature when creating new | messages. They say that it has to be re-applied. Have you have come | across this? ...

Errors updating a company
Hi there, We recently updated to Version 8.0 and one of our companies did not update. We have 2 companies...one which runs the Canadian Payroll and one that doesnt. When we used to log on to the company without the Canadian payroll installed we would receive errors about not being able to access the payroll tables..and not being registered for payroll in this company blah blah blah...we would ok the errors out..and we could then log in and have no other issues. So when updating recently ..the company with the Canadian Payroll updates perfectly...the company.without the payroll..err...

Getting the query used in a view
Hi, I am trying to access the query used by a view. But it seems that the query is not contained anywhere but dynamically put together. The query api is "auto" according to the info on the web services and the database. Does anyone know how to contact this queryapi "auto" ?? or how this can be transformed into a fetch statement? Thank you, Federico. The query is auto generated by CRM. If you want the exact query, you could run a SQL profiler trace to get it. What are you going to use this query for? To get the info contained in that particular view into another ...

Error Message 02-25-08
I'm trying to create a new form. I receive an error that says "You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes you may not be able to save them." In fact, i can't save them. I'm the only user of the database. I created a group of users, but i haven't logged anyone else in. Any ideas? You might be suffering some corruption. See what happens if you import everything into a brand new, blank mdb file. -- Bob Larson Access World Forums Super Moderator Utter Access VIP Tutorials at http://www.btabdevelopment.com If ...

IMF update #2
I'm not sure if anyone has already posted this (I haven't seen a post about it) but MS released an update to the IMF on 2nd of Feb. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=41026 -- Andy. When I try to run this update, I get a message stating the update can't be installed because the software to be updated might be missing. Anyone seen this? Any ideas? "Andrew Mitchell" wrote: > I'm not sure if anyone has already posted this (I haven't seen a post about > it) but MS released an update to the IMF on 2nd of Feb. > > http://go.microsoft.com/...

Update Query question
Hello, This seems to be a very simple update query but for some reason I am not able to get my arms around it. I have 2 fields with data as shown below and I want to update the third field with the value CC if any of records have CC in field 2 when grouped by field1. field1 field2 field3 1 CC CC 1 HS CC 2 HS HS 2 HS HS When field1 is 1 and even though field2 is HS I want to update field 3 as CC because one of the records has field1 =1 and field2 = CC Any suggestions is greatly appreciated....

Query question 04-23-07
Hi,I am a new user and have been using access 2003 for labout 6 months but I am stumped on this problem, I have trucks numbered 1-10 with a service interval that varies with the service type such as a 60k pm is done every 60,000 miles and a 40K pm is done every 40,000 and 20k is done every 20,000 miles .Each unit has a weekly mileage entered and when the mileage is within the last pm mileage done + the pm interval it is due that pm.I do not have a problem with these calcalations in separate querys for each pm telling me what is due ,What I need is a query that will give me Only what i...

not include autonumber record in a select query
Hello, I have a Select Query that has a criteria to only pull the record based on an ID# from a Form. However, the Query is pulling 2 records, the record that matches the ID# and the AutoNumber Record that doesn't yet exist. There are default fields in the form, could this cause it to pull the AutoNumber record? How can I only get the 1 record that matches the ID# and not the AutoNumber? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com I think you'll find that you are only getting one record. If the existing record is selected in datasheet view, it does say 1 of 1, right? ...

unlock iphone 03-03-08
Hi friends, if you want unlock iphone, all version, 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 OTB, today you can for 19 euros!! Go on http://www.fastunlockiphone.com ...