Tony Toews Blog re Access Copyrite

Hi

I read Tony Trowes comment (with which I agree) and was wondering about
copywrite (or copyright?).

http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/archive/2007/11/12/google-s-motto-quot-don-t-be-evil-quot-hogwash.aspx

So, here is a formula that I came up with this morning.

= [SomeOtherField]      I know, it's impressive.

Question.
Do I own the copywrite on this formula?

OK I know this is daft example but some (all) of the codes and answers that
are posted in this forum take quite a while to work out and are slightly more
complex.

I have been informed that copyright can be awarded or taken "if" the
intellectual design (in this case my wonderful formula) is a "first thought"
and specific enough to differentiate between it and other "thoughts".  This
means that if you answer a question that has been answered by others and your
answer is the same (to a greater degree) you do "not" own the copyright but
if you are the first answer - or - your answer is different to a greater
degree than other answers you "do" own the copyright.

But

The answers given in this (and other) forum are given freely and are in
answer to a specific question, so they are in the public domain.

But (again)
If an individual or corporate body copies your "first thought" and uses it
as a "hook" to get people to visit a site with advertising then you may be
entitled to a percentage of the advertising revenue as it could be argued
that without your input the revenue would not have been earned.

Is it worth me contacting Google and asking for a payment   :-)

Just a thought.

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Outlook XP Cannot Access Exchange 5.5
Hi all, We are currently migrating our outlook clients from 2000 to XP. But with some users (1 out of 10) cannot access there mailbox, on our exchange 5.5 SP server, with Outlook XP. They get a dialog asking them for there username and password. When you type in nothing happens no error, you just have retype the password. If they use Outlook 2000 they can there mailbox just fine. I have found MS KB 297781 "You Repeatedly Receive a Prompt for Credentials When You Log On to the E-mail Server" But this seems to be only if access with a pop3 account. Is this a know problem?...

A2K-TOOLS
Hi, i want to create a form to convert several hundreds of A97 dbs to A2K. does anybody know what which routines are behind the Convert to current Database-Version in the A2K-Tools Database Utilities option. How could this be integrated in my form for the convert-loop over the a97-dbs. many thanks f=FCr helping The vast, vast majority of Access 97 databases can be opened in Access 2000 (or any later version) and saved in Access 2000 format. No, I don't have a suggestion as to how you would automate that task. There are, however, some very accomplished Access developers...

Using Access form to assign values of variables in an Excel VBA program
I have created a VBA program for Ms Excel.But,to get desired results, every time, I go into the code to change the values of variables.Is there a way to get the values of variables stored in an Access table? YOu need to do a search for ADO method (ActiveX Data Object). There are plenty of example of code on the web. You need to add two references in your VBA to use the method. from VBA menu tools - References 1) Microsoft Access XX.X object library 2) Microsfot ActiveX Data Objects X.X library Use the latest versio of the two libraries on your PC. You will make a conn...

Filemaker vs. Access
Is Filemaker better than Access? I have been using Access since Access97 and find it quite easy to understand and can pretty much do anything with it. Has anyone used both? Comments please. JB All depends on what you are doing with it. My personal opinion: FileMaker is easier for some things. Access does has some powerful features that are missing in FileMaker. At the same time, a lot of users don't need the extra features. FileMaker can be frustrating at times, just because of terminology difference, if you are going from Access to FileMaker. But once you are used to one o...

RE: NV_CUSTOMDRAW and LVS_OWNERDATA
This is normal behavior, you will need to draw the entire row when processing the NM_CUSTOMDRAW message. D0h. Thats the answer I was looking for :) Cheers! Casey ============ Frank Hickman NobleSoft, Inc. ============ "Casey Langen" <avatar5d@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:yQQnb.17925$vi6.10586@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com... > Hi all, I have a question: > > I am using a virtual list control (LVS_OWNERDATA), and trying to handle the NM_CUSTOMDRAW message to draw something custom in one of the columns -- problem is, the NM_CUSTOMDRAW message only gets fired once f...

Re: VBA coding
Reply meant for another post -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Don Guillett" <donaldb@281.com> wrote in message news:... > right click on sheet tab>view code>insert this>save. > Now, when you enter anything in column F (6) a row will be inserted > > Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) > If Target.Column = 6 Then Target.EntireRow.Insert > End Sub > > > -- > Don Guillett > SalesAid Software > donaldb@281.com > "Nadeem Shafiullah" <nadeem57@telus.net> wrote in message > news:%23k...

Filling LIstBox with Access users names
Hi Does anyone know how to fill a listbox withthe login names of Database users when Access security has been implemented, i want to be able to delete a user from the system using the listbox to select the user to delete. Many thanks Stuart -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com You can cycle on the Users collection: For Each x In DBEngine.Workspaces(0).Users ... Next x It would be a matter to append the user name to a list of values. Hoping it may help, Vanderghast, Access MVP "Stuart Jack via AccessMonster.com" <u31758@uw...

? Re Balancing Account Stalled, Then Fixed, H2 Prevent
I'm using Money 2004 Deluxe. Started in mid-August and all has basically worked fine until this week. (Did have a temporary loss of .NET Passport but found the fix for this in prior posts here and fixed it). This week, I started to balance a credit card account. After entering starting & ending balances, date, etc. nothing would happen when I clicked the Next button. I "Googled" for this symptom and found a year old thread for this issue. The thread concluded with the advice that I should contact Microsoft. I did and they were very prompt in responding, instructing me t...

Data from Excel to Access Table
Hello, I have this code setup in Excel but I want to be able to upload multiple rows at one time. Is there a way to incorporate this into my code? Also, is there a way to upload cells that are blank as well? Right now it won't allow me to upload cells that are blank. Can this be done? Sub UploadData() Dim MyCn As ADODB.Connection Dim SQLStr As String Set MyCn = New ADODB.Connection MyCn.Open "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; " & _ "DBQ=\\Bcar1\bcar-net\Quality-ISO\Quality-Control\BC-Quality-Control\BC QA mdb\BC Quality Action Database.mdb;SystemDB=\...

Data entry slow in an Access project
I am using a form for data entry in an Access 2003 project. The back-end data is on a remote server reached over the internet. The data source for the form is a table with 3200 records. The form also displays 6 sub-forms which display data from child tables of the main table. There is a 3-4 second delay when the user moves from one field to another on the form after modifying an existing record or entering data for a new record. During the delay, the status bar below displays a 'Calculating' message. The table is not actually updated until the user moves to a different record ...

Problems re-entering product key
Hey guys, need some help here, am at a lost. This is the situation: After updating my mac office 08, I couldn't open any office application because apparently, my product key was invalid. So I went through the procedure of removing and re-entering my product key as stated on mactopia's website. But I am stuck at the step of entering my (new) product key. Clicking on 'continue' gives no response. Anyone encountered such a problem or know what's the problem? Thank you so much for your help. On 4/1/10 8:24 PM, Samantha wrote: > This is the situation: After ...

Re: how get rid of cells with unused formulas
Actually a much older solution is better for suppressing zero values selectively -- format with a custom format so that the third parameter is empty which is a zero value. This allows you to be selective. Format, cells, number #,###.00;-#,###.00;;@ the fomat of custom formatting is positive numbers; negative numbers; zero; text you can override positive, negative but those are the defaults. see the topic "Create a custom number format" in your Excel Help. related: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [s...

Re: Print records from database
sorry, forgot to add my version of Publisher: 2003 Fritz "Fritz Anton" <fritz.anton@aon.at> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:... > Hi, > I am trying to set up a catalogue merge form in Publisher and I have > successfully formatted merge fields and established the data link to an > Access database. > Now comes the problem: I want to print DVD labels on a standard 2 labels per > page Avery form. I addition, I want to print each record twice per label > (rotated 180 deg). I can only set one record field area per page which I > fill with four text fields in the...

How can I re-size the entire spreadsheet?
I have a client who created a speredsheet and it is so large! The view is set to 10% and takes up the page. I want to import it into Word, but it takes up several pages. How can I make it smaller? Brian, Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not work. The thing came in over 12 pages and I could not re-size it. Connie >-----Original Message----- >Copy the spreadsheet and do Edit/Paste special/Picture in Word. You can then resize. > > >Regards >BrianB >====================================================== > > >"Connie" <brodishc@bellsouth....

Access Coding from 2003 to 2007
Is there an easy way to find conversion code from Access 2003 to Access 2007 we are currently in the conversion process but not all of our coding is working how we need it to. They all worked in 2003 properly. What's not working? It should be relatively straightforward if you have used only the core libraries (VBA, Access, and DAO), your database is in a trusted location, and you are not too tied to menus/toolbars Generic conversion info: http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - ht...

Microsoft Access has a problem
I do work for a company which runs Microsof Access on a Terminal Server. Weeks can go by without any problems and then we have a few days where they get the "Microsoft Access has a problem" screen whenever an database is opened. If autostart is disabled and the code behind a form loading is run step by step all is well, but I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. Many thanks Peter Kinsman Dear Peter, 1. Do you have good backups and backup schedule? 2. Could you mention the version of Access that you are running? 2B. What is your structure? Front end on...

Changing Format of Access Field via Query?
HI all, Here is what i have, two Oracle tables across multiple schemas that I cannot change the actual format in the table. One table has the field = Text The other table has the field = Number/Decimal/10 Precision I need to link these two together to run some data and currently I have been making a temp table and changing the TEXT one to a NUMBER but am wondering if there is a way to change the Format of the TEXT one to a Number in a query which would save me from having to always be making a TEMP TABLE. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.. Aaron Try using an aliased column lik...

access 97 begins without instructions, Why?
My office 97 Access Program begins automatically and it just began to happen. Is there someway to make this from happening? It is very frustrating when your logging into the computer and all of a sudden access 97 starts to run .. dusty68 <dusty68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >My office 97 Access Program begins automatically and it just began to happen. > >Is there someway to make this from happening? It is very frustrating when >your logging into the computer and all of a sudden access 97 starts to run .. Check your Start >> All Programs >&g...

Access 97 "Unrecognized Database Format"
After our Novell Server crashed last week, all of the files had to be restored from backup. Some of the Access 97 databases will not open now. The error states "Unrecognized Database Format". The files in question have an .Mde file extension. Any suggestions? Thank you, Sandy M. "Sandy M." <Sandy.Mullen@emersonprocess.com> wrote in message news:0c9901c36d71$e28d9f10$a501280a@phx.gbl... > After our Novell Server crashed last week, all of > the files had to be restored from backup. > > Some of the Access 97 databases will not open now. > > The e...

UDF Drawing Shape Not Re-Positioning
Hello, I created two (2) User Defined Equations (UDF). The second UDF changes the size of a circle and repositions it with reference to a circle from the first UDF. When a user changes the value of cell, the diameter of the inside circle will change and should re-position it to always touch the bottom of the outside circle. However, when the user changes diameter, the position will not update until the cell (with the UDF) is double clicked + enter, or ctrl+alt+f9 is pressed. I=92ve tried Application.Volatile with no luck. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks! Fun...

MS Exchange problem
Hi We are using Windows 2003 Server and MS Exchange 2003. I get the following message when i tried to access system manager of MS Exchange 2003. "Access is denied, Facility Win32, ID No: c0070005, Exchange System Manager" click ok and it quits. Similarly, I cannot access "Active Directory Users & Computers", it runs ok but when I click on a User object or any object for that matter I get; "Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension, Access is denied, Facility Win32, ID No: c0070005, Exchange System Manager" I click ok then the MMC quits. This ...

How can I open an Access adp file from excel?
I am basically tryi8ng open the database of aan *adp project to be able to manunally work on the tables. Ultematerly I would like to upsize the data base to sql. Wen we double click to open the *adp using access, the application opens, but we can't work the menus to access the database. I understand the *.adp can be opened from excel. In any case, how can we get to the tables? We'd like to re-write the front end, but wopuld like to safe the db design time. Thanks ...

Slow MS Access DB over WAN
We have an MS Access 2000 application run over a WAN (wintel server). It is built with a frontend on the users machine and backend on the shared drive of the server. The shared drive is near the root (2 folders away), is accessed by 50 or less people running Access 2000 to 2003 over the WAN, the backend is less than 50 MBs in size, and has only 150,000 records in it. The DB runs exceptionally slow! Just opening forms or reports can take two minutes each! Very frustrating! We have followed Microsoft's recommendations for building this thing but is so slow that it is not very useable. ...

Re: Highest Version of Adobe Reader for Windows 98se
Hi 98 Guy, Thanks to you and everyone. FYI: The reason I mentioned, "remove "ine"...." incase someone decides to reply by email. I didn't want his/her email to "bounce". John On Sat, 08 May 2010 12:45:14 -0400, in microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion you wrote: >jaugustine@verizon.net wrote: > >> Can someone tell me what is the highest version of Adobe Reader I >> can use on my Windows 98se computer? > >> PS, Remove "ine" from my email address > >Are you going t...

MS Access start up: very slow
Hi All, Since a while, starting my MS Access 2000 (on a WXP platform) takes too much time. The average start-up time is approx. 45 seconds. And that's without opening any database. For comparison: starting Word takes about 6 seconds. And starting any other application takes al long as expected. I cannot think what might have caused this change. I was used to a start-up time of several seconds instead of 45 seconds. I already tried to repair the Access and Office installation, but without noticible effect. Who can give my any advise to solve this problem? Thanks in advance! Paul Pau...