Table Field Data Type - Change from Number to Text

I have a table called Equipment. I also have a report that displays all of
the information in the Equipment table. When the report is opened a form pops
up allowing the user to make a selection from one of four different combo
boxes. After the selection is made and the user clicks Set Filter, the report
is filtered to only show records based on the users selection.

The problem I have is with a field in the Equipment table. It's an Item
Number field with a data type set to Number. This form will only filter text
data & I don’t know how to change that (there must be an easier way.) If I
try to filter the item number field, I get an error message that say's Data
Type Mismatch.

Normally, I would just change the data type in the table and be done with
it. Problem #2, this table is updated daily through an ODBC driver to a text
file sitting on a server. When I run the make table query (can't use update /
append) it automatically sets the item number field to a numeric data type.

So, I need to figure out the best way to change the data type of the Item
Number field in the Equipment Table. Either I do it during the Make Table
Query Process or I do it when I launch the Filter Report as mentioned above.
I’m looking for some ideas. Would someone out there know how to write a piece
of VBA code to change the data type of the Item Number field in the Equipment
table when I click the Command Button “Filter Loaned Equipment?”

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

New Disk storage

Counting number of X's in a column

MS Money 95 data files

Inserting form values into a table

data input in text box

Trying to find out which numbers occure most often
I�m giving exams to students and want to see if the students are missin the same questions in every class. I have a simple spreadsheet tha has me enter the question number into the column each time a questio is missed. The MODE function can tell me which number is occurrin most often. However, I need to see if there is any other numbers tha are occurring often as well. Is there a command that will allow me to look at the second mos entered number? For example, if I have 5,3,3,2,3,4,3,4,1,3,4, my mod would be 3 as that�s the number that repeats the most. However, happens 3 times and that...

Sorting Data #5

adding name /creating field/query?

Number 040
How can I put the numbers starting by zero? I want to put the number 040 as a number but it dont allow me. Any help... -- Drazic ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Drazic's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24602 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=381894 to put 040, enter '040 but this converts it to text. Another method would be to enter 40 and then format the cell as custo and enter 000 in the box. Manges -- mangesh_yada ---------------------------------------------...

how do i change colour of scroll bar in worksheet
I find it very difficult to see the scroll bar in my excel workshhet as they are white, can they be changed to a colour and if so how ? Are the scrollbars white in other applications? In win98, I could change some display settings, but I couldn't change the scrollbar colors. But if the scrollbars aren't white in other applications, then this can't be the solution. Jayne wrote: > > I find it very difficult to see the scroll bar in my excel workshhet as they > are white, can they be changed to a colour and if so how ? -- Dave Peterson In word they are, but not on a...

Calculating age in a label or text box on a form
Hello All, I have a text box for birthdate for a user to enter the birthdate and I want to the age for the user to be automatically calcuated and displayed in another label called "Age." What formula can I use? Missy ...

HELP! remote data not accessible msg