Switch format characteristics cell-by-cell?

I want to do something like this:

IIf([table_a].addr1 <> [tableb].addr1, SwitchToBold([tablea].addr1),
[tablea].addr1)

Is there such a function or set of functions, e.g. switch to italics
or change the font entirely?  I can't find it and am not entirely sure
where to look.

Thanks in advance.

0
Jonathan
8/30/2007 6:30:14 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:30:14 -0700, Jonathan Ball <notgenx32@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I want to do something like this:
>
>IIf([table_a].addr1 <> [tableb].addr1, SwitchToBold([tablea].addr1),
>[tablea].addr1)
>
>Is there such a function or set of functions, e.g. switch to italics
>or change the font entirely?  I can't find it and am not entirely sure
>where to look.
>
>Thanks in advance.

Use a Form (table datasheets have very limited formatting and code potential),
and use Format... Conditional Formatting.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
8/30/2007 7:28:23 PM
On Aug 30, 12:28 pm, John W. Vinson
<jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:30:14 -0700, Jonathan Ball <notgen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >I want to do something like this:
>
> >IIf([table_a].addr1 <> [tableb].addr1, SwitchToBold([tablea].addr1),
> >[tablea].addr1)
>
> >Is there such a function or set of functions, e.g. switch to italics
> >or change the font entirely?  I can't find it and am not entirely sure
> >where to look.
>
> >Thanks in advance.
>
> Use a Form (table datasheets have very limited formatting and code potential),
> and use Format... Conditional Formatting.
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]

Thanks to you and to Jerry Whittle.

0
Jonathan

How do I compare data in two worksheets to find matching cells?
Each day I work with two worksheets. One is a list of numbers that is given to me by someone else. The other list is something I make myself, again it is a list of numbers. I need to know if there is a way I can compare the data to find out if any of the numbers I input on my list match up to the ones on the list I am given. I am aware of the "Find" function, but I'm working with lists of hundreds of numbers, and it's really annoying to take each one and "find" it on another worksheet. Any answers? Hi Gary, See Chip Pearson's Tagging Duplicates page. In ...

What is a cell mark and what does it look like?
I was working with cells while editing and I need to know what a cell mark is and/or looks like to continue. I am working with Office 2000 Professional. Hi Kira, I am not sure what is this "cell mark" could it be a add comment to a cell? or you just a cell address which refer to A1 - A stands for column and 1 stands for row usually when you select any cell in excel it indicates where you are? Goto pulldown menu option you will see Row & Column Headers see where your cursor lands. "Kira" wrote: > I was working with cells while editing and I need to know wha...

Number format #17
I have a cell containing: ="Number of combinations = "&COUNTA(C2:C1500)*COUNTA(D2:D1500) This number easily exceeds 1 million which makes it diffcult to read with all the digits in one long row, so I would like to format it with thousand-separators. I could make the calculation in another cell e.g. C25 and then write: ="Number of combinations = "&C25 and then format C25 to thousandseparators, but that does not change the appearance in the cell where I combine it with the text. Is it possible to change the number format in such a case? NSV -- nsv ---------...

Pivot table formats
I have created a pivot table that has three fields; Date, raingauge and rainfall. I want to export the output of this table into an Access database. However the table produced only lists date as a single entry instead of listing the date for each raingauge. Therefore I have to manually fill in the missing date data to export it to Access. Is there any way of formating the date field so that it is listed all the way down the table thank Alan What you can do is copy the pivot table and paste special > value over itself. Select the entire range with the gaps, press F5 > Special > Bl...

comparing cells in one column to another
I have a column on a spreadsheet and an array of strings. I need to look at the first cell on the spreadsheet and find a matching value in the array of strings. This is how I am doing that With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(Tracker).Range("Order_Number_Header") For E = 0 To Total_Rows_On_Spreadsheet - 1 For F = 0 To Total_Elements_In_Array - 1 If .Offset(E, 0) = FTS_Order_Number(F) Then msgbox"I Have a Match end if next F next E end with Nothing is matching and I know there are some matches. When I display the value in the fields I see "12345678" for both fields. The f...

Formatting Issue #2
I have a cell range that have Last Name, First Name format. The problem is that some cells have a space between the comma and the first name and some have no space. This is causing a problem when I try to use the =substitute(A1,",",", ") formula because it adds an extra space in the ones that already have a space. Any ideas on how I can keep the ones that already have a space from getting an extra space? Thanks for the help. Hi try: =substitute(substitu�te(A1,", ",","),",",", ") -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany ...

How do I turn off auto syncronization of formatting?
The instructions in Help for Publisher tell you to click on Edit, and then click on Undo synchronize. Those are simple instructions, however, there is NO option under edit to undo synchronize. How do you urn off the automatic synchronization feature when you use Publisher's templates? Peggy, after a synchronization happens, just click on the undo button on the toolbar. When you do this, it will automatically turn off synchronization for the remainder of your work in that Publication. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided &...

Please help with Conditional Formatting
Hi all, I am trying to get a cell to change color when: D5 contains "/" in the form of for example: CM/F/CM or C/C I tried different variations of: Formula Is------------------$D$5= "*/*" but it does not work, any ideas? Thanks for nay help, Emilio Hi! Try this: Formula Is: =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("/",A1)) Biff >-----Original Message----- >Hi all, > >I am trying to get a cell to change color when: > D5 contains "/" in the form of for example: > >CM/F/CM or C/C > >I tried different variations of: > >Formula Is...

Outlook 2007 PST Format for IMAP
In outlook 2003 you could not use the new Unicode format for .PST files - and were stuck with the (97-2002) format file. Has this changed in outlook 2007? Thanks! EA EastAsia <Private@AsiaWorld.com> wrote: > In outlook 2003 you could not use the new Unicode format for .PST > files - and were stuck with the (97-2002) format file. Has this > changed in outlook 2007? I believe I read that it has. -- Brian Tillman ...

Word's Formatting Palette
I've worked with Word in Windows and Mac equally. There are features in both that are wanting in the other. In Word for Windows, the Formatting Palette is a wonderfully accessible window that can be made as large as screen real estate allows. In Word for Mac, the Formatting Palette is a tiny fixed-sized window that offers few advantages over the menu bar. This is just one of many features I hope to see improved in Office 2008. Frequently, I wonder if the developers actually use the applications they work on and if there is any exchange between Windows and Mac developers. If a function ...

Conditional formatting?
I have rows of different activities listed by description. I now need to allocate numeric codes to those descriptions. There are about 20 different codes I need to use. Is it possible to then total those codes on the bottom PER code (i.e. all codes of 115 total on the bottom in one cell, all codes of 135 total on the bottom in another cell) or do I have to do a separate column for each code? Thanks. Look at SUMIF(). If codes in column A and values in column B: =SUMIF(A1:A100,115,B1:B100) and then =SUMIF(A1:A100,135,B1:B100) You could even have a cell set up to enter the...

Mass change of same cell in multiple files??????
I have about 180 files that are price pages from a company we sell products from. The same cell in every file, Sheet 1 P1 is a factor that is used in formulas through out the files. I guess I am wondering if there are 1 of 2 solutions. 1) Can I mass change that P1 cell in all 180 files to be a different number instead of 1.0? or 2) Can I mass change any reference to that cell in any sheet to point to one cell that we can change anytime and only do 1 update for all 180 files? Thanks in advance Hi Jim You can do this with a macro http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy4.htm You can use a form...

Cells losing formatting
This is driving me nuts! I use excel 2000. From time to time certain cells (usually blocks of cells or an entir row) containing numerical data lose all formatting. Excel no longe recognizes the data as numbers and will not sort them etc. Selectin the cell(s) and changing the formatting has no effect. Copying, the "paste special / values" only works sometimes. Manually retyping th data over the old usually works but I am dealing with a spreadshee with about 1000 records. I just had this happen with a row containing date / time stamps. Each cell has an entry like "7/26/04 9:5...

Does GP allow for different Account Formats for multiple Companies
Hi All, I am setting up a new client that has 3 different companies. Two of them have the same GL framework. The third has a diffferent account framework. How can I change the account framework for the new company? Thanks for your help. -- TC If they are different databases simply go to Tools >> Setup>>Company >>Account Format. -- Leslie Vail, CPA, MCT, MVP MCBSP-Application for Microsoft Dynamics GP MCBSP-Installation and Configuration for Microsoft Dynamics GP cell: 972-814-8550 fax: 972-692-7472 "TC" wrote: > Hi All, > > I am sett...

Format Text
I'm trying to format order numbers in excel and I want dashes to fill in automatically. The problem is I have numbers and text for each order. For example: SRT46510D1234 is what I want to type in, but I want it to appear as SRT456-10-D-1234. Is there a way to make that happen? You can not have th eformat directly in the cell you are entering in. XL does not have a facility for input masks or formats on text. You can output the formatted text in a seperate cell with a formulas such as this =LEFT(A1, 6) & "-" & MID(A1, 7, 2) & "-" & MID(...

FONT COLOR FORMAT
WHEN I COMBINE TEXT ( EX. =A1&B1&C1) WITH DIFFERENT FONT COLORS, IT RETURNS THE COMBINED TEXT IN A SINGLE COLOR FONT. HOW DO I CORRECT THIS SO THE TEXT IS RETURNED (COMBINED) IN THE ORIGINAL FONT COLOR FORMAT FROM THE ORIGINAL INDIVIDUAL CELLS (A1 B1 C1)? Hi Excel doesn't allow partial formatting of cells and hence will return the default format. You may be able to do it with VBA, but I don't think so. Oh, BTW, please don't post in capitals as it is considered to be shouting as well as being really hard to read. HTH Michael Mitchelson "JMCA2000" wrot...

Switch to mac means all Office files are Read Only
Can someone please tell me what I can do to resolve the following problem? Last Friday I bought a new 12" Powerbook (O/S 10.3.3) as well as Microsoft Office 2004. I have previously been using a Sony VAIO (PC Notebook) with Microsoft Windows 2000 O/S using Microsoft Office 2000. I read the instructions on the Mac Switch site and copied all my office files and folders to a Switch CD (RW) then inserted the CD into my new Mac. I dragged all the files to the Documents folder in the Mac. Result is all files open but, regardless of whether it is a Word document, an Excel spreadsheet or a Pow...

Reading attachments in excel format
I don't have excel but sometimes receive attachments in xls format. Is there an excel reader I can download to access these documents. yes Go to MS office web site "Don" <don_scheff@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cc5301c43924$5f385630$a501280a@phx.gbl... : I don't have excel but sometimes receive attachments in : xls format. Is there an excel reader I can download to : access these documents. Hi there is a free Excel viewer available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4EB83149-91DA- 4110-8595-4A960D3E1C7C&displaylang=EN -- Regar...

Navigating to Referenced Cell
I run Excel 2002 with SP-2. I finally discovered how to move to a referenced cell ( Control +[ ). I saw somebody else do it with a simple double click of a cell that had a reference in it. Mine, however, doesn't work that way (is there a way to make the double click method work?). The real question is this: After I get to a referenced cell with Control +[ is there a way to QUICKLY get back to where I started? Jeannine I'm surprised you didn't try the obvious: <Ctrl> <]> BTW, double click should work if you; <Tools> <Options> *UNCHECK* "Edit Di...

Custom Formatting #8
How to format into Engineering units instead of scientific units? -- Tony Reflinski Format Custom ##0.0E+0 -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Tony Reflinski" <tonyRef@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:6ED515EA-7A72-4A36-AD90-B850EF6C1200@microsoft.com... > How to format into Engineering units instead of scientific units? > -- > Tony Reflinski BRILLIANT, Thanks "Niek Otten" wrote: > Format Custom ##0.0E+0 > > -- > > Kind Regards, > > Niek Otten > > Microsoft MVP - Excel > > "Tony Re...

conditional formatting:highlight row based on blank or non-blank c
Does anyone know if, and how, is possible to use Conditional Formatting feature to automatically highlight the whole row if a specific cell in that row is non-blank (or blank)? Thank you! Hi, Yes, first select your row then in your conditional formatting select "formula is" from the drop down menu and type: =ISBLANK($A1)=FALSE or =ISBLANK($A1)=TRUE depending on weather you want the condition to apply when your cell is blank or non blank. HTH JG -- pinmaster ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum....

Convert degree from decimal number to the standard format (degre.
How to Convert degree from decimal number to the standard format (degree ° minutes ´ seconds″. I tried custom but could not work out for some degrees. Thanks On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 08:23:01 -0800, "Zainelabdin" <Zainelabdin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How to Convert degree from decimal number to the standard format (degree � >minutes � seconds?. >I tried custom but could not work out for some degrees. >Thanks Here's one way: Divide your decimal degrees by 24. Then format the cell as: Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: h� m' s.00\" ...

Extracting text from cells
Can anyone suggest a formula to use to extract certain text from a cell? The text may be found anywhere in a single cell, it may vary in length and not always preceded by punctuation, however, it will always be preceded by a "M0" or "P0" . Here's an example: CCN 02/04/04, PAID 05/28/03, M02-10708, BOX AE-3912, DD 01/31/08. The task is to extract just the text, "M02-10708". -- AusTexRich Hi: Use the text function FIND in conjunction with LEFT, RIGHT or MID functions to extract it. However, this might prove to be difficult since you say that what you...

i want to set conditional format to cells containing odd numbers
i want to set conditional format to cells containing odd numbers 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell will have a white background even after selection 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula =MOD(A1,2) 4. Click Format Button>Pattern and select your color (say Red) 5. Hit OK PS: If you are using XL2007 Goto Home tab>Styles>Conditional Formatting>Manage rules>New...

Possible to "rotate" range of cells so columns are rows and vice versa?
Is it possible to select a rectangular range of cells and then generate a copied range of cells that is a rotation of the first range, where the columns are the rows, and vice versa? Maybe copy, then paste special and select transpose Regards, Peo Sjoblom davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com wrote: > Is it possible to select a rectangular range of cells and then generate > a copied range of cells that is a rotation of the first range, where > the columns are the rows, and vice versa? > Never mind, I discovered "Paste Special" and "Transpose". ...