Starting MS Access

The command line I use includes the database name, and wrkgrp.  It requires
the user to enter a name and password when opening the database.  The problem
is if the user cancels the logon then the MS Access toolbar appears allowing
the user to navigate (file/open) the same as if using Windows Explorer.  This
is a problem when the application is on a Citrix server.   Any suggestions on
how to have the default Access toolbar not appear if the user doesn't sign in
using their name/password?  I'd rather not use the run-time version.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:29:01 -0800, Jay Myhre
<JayMyhre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The command line I use includes the database name, and wrkgrp.  It requires
>the user to enter a name and password when opening the database.  The problem
>is if the user cancels the logon then the MS Access toolbar appears allowing
>the user to navigate (file/open) the same as if using Windows Explorer.  This
>is a problem when the application is on a Citrix server.   Any suggestions on
>how to have the default Access toolbar not appear if the user doesn't sign in
>using their name/password?  I'd rather not use the run-time version.

If you've implemented workgroup security correctly - taking the Admin user out
of the Admins group, revoking all its privileges and/or giving Admin a
nonblank password - they can't do anything with the database anyway. Have you
done so?

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
2/6/2008 11:47:15 PM
Actually, if you do add the /runtime switch to the shortcut, if the user
hits cancel at the logon prompt, then access does shut down....

> Any suggestions on
> how to have the default Access toolbar not appear if the user doesn't sign
> in
> using their name/password?  I'd rather not use the run-time version.

You don't actually need the runtime, but give the /runtime switch a try in
your startup...it does shut down access for me if you hit cancel on the log
on....

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert
2/6/2008 11:59:14 PM
Albert,
    Thank you very much.   Your respone was exactly what I needed.   I
couldn't find the /runtime option in the startup command prompt when I
searched MS Access.  You have saved me a lot of time and effort.
    Jay Myhre

"Albert D. Kallal" wrote:

> Actually, if you do add the /runtime switch to the shortcut, if the user
> hits cancel at the logon prompt, then access does shut down....
>
> > Any suggestions on
> > how to have the default Access toolbar not appear if the user doesn't sign
> > in
> > using their name/password?  I'd rather not use the run-time version.
>
> You don't actually need the runtime, but give the /runtime switch a try in
> your startup...it does shut down access for me if you hit cancel on the log
> on....
>

> --
> Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com

Music Database for Access 2007
I am using Access 2007 and downloaded the Music Database for Access 2000. Whenever I open access, I get the error "The expression On Move you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: The expression you entered has a function name that Microsoft Office Access can't find." When I click "ok", the error repeatedly pops up. How do I resolve the error? OR is there a different free music database that works with ACCESS 2007. When apps run fine on one machine and not on another or run fine in one version and not when run under a ...

MS Money #7
I am using MS Money 2003 which was installed when I bought my computer in Nov/03. When I open it the heading, however, is 2005 - Microsoft Money. I am in Canada. I have two questions: 1. How can I delete a line in the budget? For some reason I have two lines of the same expense category and I only want one. When I highlight it and click Edit all I can do is add or change some of the details. I can't get rid of this extra line. All I can think of so far is to change the amounts in each so they total to my one budget amt. 2. How can I make my expense groups/categories/sub-c...

Developer Access to Money
Quicken has an XML interface into Quickbooks and Quicken. My company develops a vertical market application and I want to integrate accounting features into it. We currently work with Small Business Manager but the target market is 25 seats. I want to service the one or two seat mom and pop. Before we go the Quicken route, is there any way to integrate Money into a 3rd party app? It would be great to do this using XML? Hitting the database directly is not an option as it can bypass accounting practices. http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q10, or http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...

Converting a PDF file to MS Publisher
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C7B003.9DFC8130 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have adobe acrobat version 5.0. I have a PDF file I want to drop into = and manipulate (size) into a publisher file. I am using windows XP. Is = there a way to do this? I think I can convert to a eps or ps file but = don't have much knowledge there. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Rob ------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C7B003.9DFC8130 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Con...

Custom categories in Navigation Pane
When I open the Navigation Options dialog box, the "Add Item" button to add a category is disabled. How do I get back the ability to create custom categories? This is a converted Access2003 database. I have a similar problem with an Access2003 database being run in Access2007 that had groups set up with differing permissions. If I log in as a member of the Admins group, I can create new categories. If I log in as a member of the Users group, the same problem as above occurs: the "Add Item" button is disabled and none of the categories that I created appear in the Na...

Conversion of Access 97 to Access 2000 doesn't work.
I have an Access 97 database which works fine on the computer it was created on. The database was copied to a CD and then copied to my harddrive where I am running Windows XP and using Access 2000. When I tried to open the database I got the following message: You can't make changes to the database objects in the database 'Back Office Server.' This database was created in an earlier version of Microsoft Access. To convert this database to the current version of Microsoft Access, close the database, point to Database Utilities on the Tools menu, and then click Convert Database....

How to export multiple charts from Access
I need to export several tables and charts from an Access 2000 db into Excel 2000 because Access is very limited for displaying Charts. Ideally, I would like to group data of a similar nature on the same sheet, tables down the left side in blocks and charts adjacent. I can't seem to manage that. The best I can do is one table of data per sheet. I can live with that but the problem is that all the charts seem to go onto "Sheet1" and stack-up on top of each other. I have played all the various combinations of ActiveChart.Location and ActiveChart.SetSourceData but all to no avail...

Cannot re-install MS 2005
I have performed my annual harddrive re-format and after reinstalling MS 2005 Deluxe, cannot get the program to recognize my data file. I point MS Money to the data file (which worked fine pre-format), but a window pops up that says: "Money cannot locate 'c:\...\[file name]' or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive is write protected....." It is not read only and the drive is not protected. Any ideas? At some stage you have downloaded the update to M2005 and upgraded your file. The re...

MS Excel File Sharing
Hi I have a problem in sharing my excel file, and my question is this: How many users can share into one file? Can you describe the problem that you have, like what does it do instead of work. I don't think there would be a limit to how many people can share -- but just how many people would be sharing at same time. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm "ltamisin" <leoft2@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e% > I have a problem in sharing my excel file, and my qu...

A program is trying to access e-mail addresses... which one?!?!?!
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C4F40B.08833290 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, I am getting the following in Outlook 2002 SP3: A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in = Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a = virus and you should choose "No". How do I determine which program is trying to access my addresses? This = appears everytime I make a new message and most of the time reading = existing ones. I rea...

Error Printing Excel 97 linked to access 97 on NT
When trying to print a file that is linked to acess 97 from excel 97 - get an error saying not enough memory to complete the operation. however when copying the file locally (was on a server) it works fine. Any ideas? Also if the file is printed when there is no data linked it also works ok. Other users have no problem and the printer is fine - this happens with all printers from this pc Many Thanks ...

Newbi MS CRM developer
Greetings, We are ramping up to do some integration between MS CRM and an ERP package MFG/PRO (by qad, see www.qad.com). Our first effort will focus on transferring data from MFG/PRO to MS CRM. Specifically: 1) MFG/PRO "customers" to MS CRM "Accounts" 2) MFG/PRO invoices to ms crm invoices (invoice and invoicedetail). 3) MFG/PRO "items" to MS CRM products (I think). After doing our research, we've decided to take the SDK route. By this I mean that we won't use Biztalk or the data migration tool (?) but instead use methods on objects such as &qu...

Opening an access app from within an access app
I have two access applications. Call 'em App1 and App2. I would like to create a button on a form in App1 that will: 1) Close App1 2) Open App2 I'm sure the way somehow involves using a command similar to: Access.Application.OpenCurrentDatabase ("C:\Local Data\Testing\Application2.mdb") but running this command tells me that "You already have the database open". So how can I accomplish what I'm looking for? Many thanks in advance, Greg Take a look at the free TSI SOON (Shut One, Open New) database add-in MichKa has at http://www.trigeminal.com/utilit...

To have autonumber start from a certain number
Hello, I am creating a database to replace our excel to record our church membership. Our last number is 580 on membership table, and on address table is 193. During the construction I did not realize that if we delete autonumber for the testing data, it will not continue with the next number of 581... There are 5 records testing that I deleted and when I see now it shows 586. I have finished testing, I want it to show the next number is 581. The same problem with the Address autonumber Please help what should I do. -- H. Frank Situmorang In some versions of Access, all you have to ...

Access 2007 and Server 2008
I am using Windows Server 2008. I do not believe it is R2. I wish to use an Access database on this server but it is not recognized by the ODBC system. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? BTW, I am running on a 64 bit machine. Thanks John There are no 64 bit drivers for Access (although that's remedied in Access 2010). Try creating a DSN through the 32-bit client-version of the Data Sources client. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "jsaville" <jsaville@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Application is restarting accessing web page
Hi, I am a CRM newbie and have recently finished the install process. When I try to access the CRM website from the server I get the following: Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Application is restarting. Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. Stack Trace: [InvalidOperationException: Application is restarting.] System.Web.Compilation.CompilationMutex.WaitOne() +314 System...

Need help with SQL Statement in MS Access 2003 Chart
My Access Chart is not showing the data correctly. It's only counting line items by month per row and I am trying to get it to count each column as it's own data set. Chart SQL: SELECT (Format([Received Date],"MMM")), Count([Received Date]) AS [Qty Received], Count([DueBy Date]) AS [Has Due Date], Count([SentOn Date]) AS [Qty Sent] FROM [qryDeliveries] GROUP BY (Year([Received Date])*12 + Month([Received Date])-1),(Format([Received Date],"MMM")); Should Reflect: RCVD Has Due Sent Jan 16 11 8 Feb 11 10 9 Mar 23 19 16 Apr 12 13 6 May 1 ...

How do I access my 'FAVORITES' from Office 2007?
I can't figure out how to access or save to my FAVORITES in Office 2007. I use it all of the time and miss having access to it. Does anyone know how to do this or if there is an alternative work-around? Hi, I'm sure I'm missing something blindingly obvious here but what favourites do you mean? Where did you access them in previous verions of Office? Mike "HRKathy" wrote: > I can't figure out how to access or save to my FAVORITES in Office 2007. I > use it all of the time and miss having access to it. Does anyone know how to > do th...

Access 2003 Mail Merge to Word 2003 using query to locate the specific record being displayed
After spending ALL DAY searching the entire WEB I have found a lot of posts asking this same question but not one answer. I thought I's throw it up again. The button on my form does this. * From Mergit() * Dim objWord As Word.Document Set objWord = GetObject("H:\Contract Admin Database\Merge Documents \WIP\Closings\Closing Packet Documents\Test - closing packet EM.doc", "Word.Document") objWord.Application.Visible = True ' Set the mail merge data source as the Northwind database. objWord.MailMerge.OpenDataSource _ Name:="H:\Contract Adm...

email from access and automatical attach a PDF file
What i would like to do is for a PDF to be printed and then attached to a email to send to a customer, Is there a easy way to do this with access with our attaching the pdf to the email after it has been saved Thanks Simon Simon <S.Dickson@shos.co.uk> wrote: >What i would like to do is for a PDF to be printed and then attached >to a email to send to a customer, For a page on how to print a report for a single record and how to generate reports to attach to emails see the Emailing reports as attachments from Microsoft Access page at http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/email/repor...

Referencing a control on subform 1 from subform 3 causes access to crash
Hi Folks Using Access 2003 SP3, I have a main form with 3 linked subforms to a propertyID and fundID on the main form. On the AfterUpdate Event of a field on subform 3 I would like the value to be transferred to a control field on subform 1. This is the syntax I have on subform 3 Forms!FrmFOA!FrmGrantSubFrm.Form![CertDate] = Me!CertificateDate frmgrantSubFrm is subform 1 Every time I enter data in the field to trigger the AfterUpdate event Access crashes. I have gone through the form to see if there is any other event happening at the same time but this is the only pie...

How I can Get MS CRM SDK trial version
Hello I am a .Net developer , Iwant to try on CRM in MS platform , How I can get the trial version of CRM SDK Regards Emad Rangchi Emad Rangchi wrote: > Hello I am a .Net developer , Iwant to try on CRM in MS platform , How I > can get the trial version of CRM SDK > Regards > Emad Rangchi Hello Emad, The SDK is available through MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/CrmSdk/htm/default.asp?frame=true Anything you can find there! (Downloading does not make sense since the SDK is updated all the time). Success, Merijn van Mourik The CRM software is available via MSD...

wrong directory access server
Hi, One of my exchange server(AD child domain A) is pointing to the wrong directory access server in the properties of the exchange server. The site in which this exchange server resides contains other two AD domains B anc C . For some reasons I see that my exchange server is pointing to the domain controllers of domains B and C for DS and Global catalog queries. Can I remove the auto discovery and point to the right domain controllers.Is this recommended? Any other solution? -- Vinod Kumar YES - you can headcore the DS Access to point to one direction (one GC/DC) but it's not REC...

Can I access my file online?
I think I am a bit confused. I have a Money 2007 file. I have enabled it to be synchronized with MSN Money so that I would be able to (so I thought) log in to my money file from any browser and enter transactions which would then be synchronized with my money file on my PC the next time I opened it. However, when I log in to MSN money and go to My Accounts, my list of accounts comes up but all of the balances say "N/A". I do NOT automatically update my accounts online with my various banks - I enter all transactions and balance my accounts manually. Am I misundersta...

How do I change the legend text in Access 2002 chart?
I have a chart in a report which consists of a simple bar chart displaying two series of information, and a logarithmic trendline for each series. Each series is identified simply as "1" and "2". The problem I have is the legend for this chart has "Log. (1)" and "Log. (2)" as the identification text for the two trendlines. Is there some way I can change that text to read "Trend 1" and "Trend 2"?? Umm.. let me clarify. The legend contains 4 lines of text: 1 2 Log. (1) Log. (2) The first two are the names of the source f...