Splitting a database - The way forward?

Hi,

I have broken my database into several stages.  I have implemented the first
stage and this is simply the database (with basic features) on a central
computer and a shortcut added to each user's computer.

I know this is quite risky but at this stage only one person is cupturing
and editing the data and the rest is viewing information and printing reports.

I am still building on new features of the database and this would include
adding more fields to some tables.

1  -  Could i now split my database and give each user a FE, given the fact
that i will still be adding and removing fields?
2  -  If yes, what are the steps after i ammend the tables so that the Live
BE contains the ammended table structures?

Assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

ant1983 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have broken my database into several stages.  I have implemented
> the first stage and this is simply the database (with basic features)
> on a central computer and a shortcut added to each user's computer.
>
> I know this is quite risky but at this stage only one person is
> cupturing
> and editing the data and the rest is viewing information and printing
> reports.
>
> I am still building on new features of the database and this would
> include adding more fields to some tables.
>
> 1  -  Could i now split my database and give each user a FE, given
> the fact that i will still be adding and removing fields?
> 2  -  If yes, what are the steps after i ammend the tables so that
> the Live BE contains the ammended table structures?
>
> Assistance would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wayne

You will have to add code to the front ends that refresh the links to the
tables automatically at startup OR you will have to distribute new front
ends any tiem you change the design of the back end.  The latter is more
common in corporate situations where replacing front ends is trivially
simple and the latter is more common in apps that are distributed remotely.

Note that the automatic refreshing of links can only deal with changes to
existing tables.  When you need to add totally new tables then you will
almost certainly need new front end objects to interact with them in which
case distributing new front ends is the only viable option.

I would check out Tony Toews auto-update utility.  It makes the distribution
of changed front ends totally automatic and something which the user never
even has to think about.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick
3/18/2008 11:02:35 AM
"Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ant1983 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have broken my database into several stages.  I have implemented
>> the first stage and this is simply the database (with basic features)
>> on a central computer and a shortcut added to each user's computer.
>>
>> I know this is quite risky but at this stage only one person is
>> cupturing
>> and editing the data and the rest is viewing information and printing
>> reports.
>>
>> I am still building on new features of the database and this would
>> include adding more fields to some tables.
>>
>> 1  -  Could i now split my database and give each user a FE, given
>> the fact that i will still be adding and removing fields?
>> 2  -  If yes, what are the steps after i ammend the tables so that
>> the Live BE contains the ammended table structures?
>>

> You will have to add code to the front ends that refresh the links to the
> tables automatically at startup OR you will have to distribute new front
> ends any tiem you change the design of the back end.  The latter is more
> common in corporate situations where replacing front ends is trivially
> simple and the latter is more common in apps that are distributed
> remotely.

Realistically, the fact that new fields are added generally implies new or
changed functionality. I'm hard pressed to imagine a case where strictly
refreshing the linked tables would be adequate. Replacing the front-ends
would strike me as being required in virtually every case.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

0
Douglas

Excel 2002
I am working on a huge spreadsheet that logs thousands of transactions from dozens of customers. What I need to be able to do quickly break up that spreadsheet by customer code (column C) and save a file for every customer (along with the header) as a file named "(column C) - (column B) - (date).xls" I want it to save every file in one pass, and each file should include every column from A through P for the rows included. For example, in column C rows 2-20 the value is CAT004, 21-24 is BOB002, and 25-200 is JIL000. There should be 3 output files which should be named: CAT004 - C...

Inserting data in .adp database
hello guys, I am trying to insert data in .adp dtabase.But i am not able to insert it,but when i tried it with .mdb file i am able to insert data....can you help me what should i do to inset data in .adp database. should i make change in data type in .adp database. For this i am using "Microsoft ole db provider for SQL Server" This is my data declaration in database in .adp file which is not working column Name Datatype length allownulls 1) ID int 4 2)DateTimeStamp timestamp 8 3) MarketNo smallint ...

How do get rid of formatting characters when reporting Issues from reporting database
Issue description and Issue Resolution because they are rich text (I guess) when reported via SQL Reporting Services contains all kinds of garbage like </div>, &nbsp, etc. What's the best way to strip the special characters out when reporting from the database? Thanks, Andy Novak UNT Hi Andy, you have a couple of options depending on your SQL version. If you run 2008 you can use the REport builder 2.0 which by the way renders the rich text. If you have 2005 you will need to write some code to strip the HTML tags out. Hope that helps -- Marc Soester [MV...

Backups, Logs, Databases.. Logs written when? Serious Problem
I have a server with 2500 Exchange 2003 Users, 3 Storage Groups, 4 Stores per group. I had to move around a bunch of users between mailbox stores within same storage group on all groups. Problem, now I have 21gigs in the logs and only 13 gigs left on my database spindles. If I run a full backup server will shut down? Not enough space on database spindles. Do I need to run and offline defrag? Do I need to move some mailboxes off server? Will moving mailboxes increase log size? -- DCMETRO1 On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 04:22:01 -0700, "DCMETRO1" <DCMETRO1@discussions.microsoft....

Manual move of Exchange 2003 Databases?
We have installed a new SAN and want to move the location of our Exchange 2003 databases from the old SAN to the new SAN. I am familiar with Microsoft KB821915 on how to move databases and logs and have done that previously. However, our databases are quite large (some more than 100GB) and it has been my experience in the past that the MS recommended process takes quite a while. In the interest of shortening our maintenance window, we wanted to restore the files to the new SAN ahead of time. Then, during maintenance, take the databases offline, do a quick incremental backup and restore jus...

Access Database Conversion to Excel Database
I need to convert a downloaded database in Access format to an Excel format I can use on my desktop. Hi Greg One way Use Data>Import External Data in the menubar -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "greg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b0f301c3ec2b$2b12d830$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I need to convert a downloaded database in Access format > to an Excel format I can use on my desktop. ...

POS 2009 -Changing Databases
I have a multistore environment, and currently with RMS I have a program I designed to switch databases using batch files and registry changes to change the database I'm working in with the click of a button. With POS 2009, I can't seem to find where there is either a registry file that contains this info, or if there is somewhere in the POS 2009 program files folder where I can change the db its pointing to. Anyone know where this is stored? Thanks and much appreciated! Ok, so I don't see ANYTHING for POS2009 in the registry. I did however come across this file in the r...

Splitting Database 05-13-10
I have completed the process for splitting my database with the assistance of this forum. But I realized that my code to post an appointment to the Outlook Calendar was no longer working. It gave me the message: "Compile Error: User- defined type not defined" and highlighted "Dim outobj As Outlook.Application. " of the code. So I looked at my references and realized that all were not transferred over to the new databases so I began to add the ones I had in the actual database. But now when I add the following reference - Microsoft DAO 3. 6 Object Library, it gives m...

Stock-split undo
How can one edit out an inadvertant stock split (Money 2006 standard)? I tried deleting the stock to start over but the split is still registered in the innards of MS Money such that when I reestablish the stock Money still remembers the errant split. I tried registering a reverse-split on the same day but that just mucked things up worse. I just need to go back and delete the stock-split information, but how? In microsoft.public.money, kdwamp wrote: >How can one edit out an inadvertant stock split (Money 2006 standard)? I >tried deleting the stock to start over but the split is ...

DNS forwarding
Hi, I've a simple DNS setup question I think. I've an AD-DNS group of servers: serv1.mycompany.local and serv2.mycompany.local We have a testing environment, where I'd like to forward client requests for a subdomain to its own DNS server, eg: domain: lab.mycompany.local server: serv3.lab.mycompany.local A record: machineA.lab.mycompany.local etc How do I configure the DNS servers in serv1 and serv2, so that they send any requests to lab.mycompany.local to serv3 ?? Is that a "Stub" zone? I don't want to create a Secondary (and copy the ...

Create inventory-like database?
I want to be able to create an inventory database for the weights of items that I have in stock. I keep items in stock in 2 different sizes so I would need to keep both of them in the database. I already have it broken down in an excel sheet so if there is a way to just import it...that would be great. Lastly, I would want to be able to search the style #, and then it would give me the resulting Weight in size 6 and 10. My excel sheet currently looks like this: Style # Weight Size 6 Weight Size 10 abc 1.1 1.5 def 1.5 2...

access sql database from client machine
I am having a office network consisting of a SBS2003 Server and 12 Client Computers running Windows XP. Now on one of the XP computers I am running SQL7 which holds the database to the program I am running. Now when I log into the system with a username (lets say John) who is a domain user in my sbs sever who has limited rights to the sql7 machine, I am able to run my program and access the database. Now when I log from another windows XP machine with the same user name and run my program I cannot access the SQL7 database as I get the msg “ Time Out “. However if I make the ...

Excel as a database
I am using excel as a database for customers. When I try to merge th database it adds 10 decimal points behind my financial numbers. would like it to merge exactly as it is in my database. Please help! By the way, I got it to work on all my fields except my % fields o fields that I need to show at least 2 decimal points -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Tools Options Edit Uncheck Fixed Decimal "Erin Jenkins" <Erin.Jenkins.yamea@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Erin.Jenkins.yamea@excelforum-nospam.com... : I am using excel as a database for cu...

DBTYP.NET Studio 2010
DBTYP.NET Studio 2010 - Database Comparison Suite Released Vienna, Austria - March 8, 2010 Today, BYPsoft announced the availability of DBTYP.NET Studio 2010, the newest version of the cross-database comparison tool that compares SQL Server, MySQL and Oracle databases (schema and data). DBTYP.NET Studio 2010 is available for download from http://www.bypsoft.com. With its rich support for schema and data cross-database comparison, DBTYP.NET Studio takes the mystery out of databases, making their comparison practical and easy for programmers and database administrators everywh...

The Quickest way to get Top Page On GooGle...
2 months I had first page organic results and they delivered on every key term I wanted so here they are http://www.atomicsearchengineoptimization.com or you can go straight to their contct page to get a great free report and a friendly call back. http://www.atomicsearchengineoptimization.com/Monthy_plan_rates-seo-services.html SPAM ...

need vba help to clean up database #2
I tried to run this function and it didn't work. It asks me to update values and brings up a file search window. No matter what I do it just says name in the cells when I do the last function. The first function works fine but the second function is what confuses me. -- twist ------------------------------------------------------------------------ twist's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16055 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=275142 The 2nd formula in Sheet2 is reading: Sheet1 Think you're getting the e...

Split cells with hard-coded line breaks
I occasionally get CSV or regular Excel files that have line-feed characters in cells. This causes cells to have multiple lines in them (you can also create them by using ALT-ENTER). I would like to know if there is an easy way to break up these cells into individual rows, without messing up the columns they are in. As an example, if a cell has 3 rows, I want to basically create two new rows beneath that, leave the first in the original cell, and put the next two in the cells below. There may be multiple columns with multi-line cells, but the number of rows should match (it's basi...

Possible for both ways for Date Entry on a txtField?
Hi, I have a field (IssuedDate) on a Form for the users to enter the date, in order to give the convenience for the user, I have set up the some key-codes for them to input instead of typing the full date and it works out great. (I've learned that from one of the old threads, but I couldn't find more to resolve my following problem. Believe or not, I have searched for that in about 2 days already.) Since I have only set up for a total of 8 keys only, that means 7 days backwards, then it won't work for the users who are away for vacation more than 8 days and they can't...

Backing up Exchange databases into smaller files
In a scenario which is becoming all too common, one of my clients has been using their email as the primary filing system for their business for the last few years. At this point they're stuck in their ways and I've had to relent, removing mailbox size limits and hoping that the automatic archiving is sufficient to keep things somewhat managable. Obviously, in this situation the Exchange database has become THE key file for their business and so having a solid backup plan in place is a high priority. While there's no trouble with the tape backup and media rotation, we're...

Excel link to Access Database
Please Help I have my Excel Spreadsheet pull data from access database. Somehow, it does work at one station but not the other. If you have any suggestion please help me. Thanks Perhaps the path to the .mdb is different or the user does not have access to the folder. An intranet path rather than something like Z:\CTHQ\Finance\ would look like :- \\CTHQ\Finance\ (2 slashes to start). --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Brian, Thanks for replying my message. However, that wht I have it setup. I think this may relate to the setup of OBDC driver. Do you know anyt...

The best way to speed up preformance
Hello, I have created the Supplier Invoices Tracking Database which has been going live for 2 years. There are 8 users and some complain that it performs slow. There are about 26,000 records now. The BE is in the server, Should I archive the old records to make it run faster? Thanks very much, Frank -- Frank Situmorang Here are a few link to review to get you started on the path of ms access database design principles and ms access database application tunning: http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm http://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/Performanc...

Is there a quick way to create an Update query?
I have a table with about 30 fields. I need to update it with data from another table. I understand how to create an update query but is there a quicker way of adding the field names of the table holding the data rather than have to type in the name like tablename.fieldname for every field that I want to update? I don't seem to be able to drag and drop the field name of the second table as I can for the destination table. Hope I've explained that! I don't know of any quick method to do this. John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009 The Hilltop Institute Unive...

Importing MS Office Excel Comma Separated Values Files into a MS Access 2003 database

Database query and parameters
Hello: It seems to me that the following things are true: 1. You cannot base and Excel query (using "Microsoft Query" at Data | Import External Data | New Database Query) off of a Microsoft Access query, if the Microsoft Access query has parameters. 2. You cannot use both GROUP BY and a parameter in an Excel query. If you use "GROUP BY", then it tells you the query is too complex to be displayed in design view. After this, if you try to add a parameter to the query it tells you that you cannot add a parameter if the query cannot be displayed in design view. So, my questi...

Split vs. Freeze
Excel/XP What is the difference between splitting panes and freezing them..they seem to do the same thing. Thank you. When you freeze a pane, the top row(s) will always remain visible as you scroll down the worksheet. You cannot change the rows displayed in the frozen pane. When you split a window, you get two scrollable regions. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "MsData" <afdfd@dajfl.com> wrote in message news:%23I2mqS1MGHA.2628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Excel/XP > > What is the difference ...