Show Picture in a form

I have a table where I store the employee picture.  I have a form where I
would like to have the picture show when the employee is choosen from a combo
box.  Is this done with Object frames?
Can some one help me set this up please.
thank you
victor.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Victor,

I recommend against actually storing the picture in the database.  This will
bloat your database incredibly, and, depending on the size of your company,
and the size of the images, could cause you to rapidly approach the maximum
file size (2GB for 2003) of an Access database.  Instead, I recommend
storing the file name in the database in a field [PhotoFile].

Then, add an image control to your form, but don't actually assign a photo
to it.  Actually, I would even set the visible property to False.  Then, in
the forms Current event, I would check to see whether there is an entry in
the [PhotoFile] field for this employee.  If there is, then set the images
Picture property to the value in your [PhotoFile] field and set the visible
property to True.  To enhance this further, you might also want to create a
label of the same size as the image, put it in the same place as the image
and give it text that reads "Employee photo not available".  If there is no
data in the [PhotoFile] field, then make this label visible, if there is
data, make the image visible and the label invisible.

HTH
Dale

"visidro" <visidro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a table where I store the employee picture.  I have a form where I
> would like to have the picture show when the employee is choosen from a
> combo
> box.  Is this done with Object frames?
> Can some one help me set this up please.
> thank you
> victor.

0
Dale
11/22/2007 4:54:19 PM
"Dale Fye" <dale.fye@nospam.com> a �crit dans le message de
> Victor,
>
> I recommend against actually storing the picture in the database.  This
> will bloat your database incredibly, and, depending on the size of your
> company, and the size of the images, could cause you to rapidly approach
> the maximum file size (2GB for 2003) of an Access database.  Instead, I
> recommend storing the file name in the database in a field [PhotoFile].
>
> Then, add an image control to your form, but don't actually assign a photo
> to it.  Actually, I would even set the visible property to False.  Then,
> in the forms Current event, I would check to see whether there is an entry
> in the [PhotoFile] field for this employee.  If there is, then set the
> images Picture property to the value in your [PhotoFile] field and set the
> visible property to True.  To enhance this further, you might also want to
> create a label of the same size as the image, put it in the same place as
> the image and give it text that reads "Employee photo not available".  If
> there is no data in the [PhotoFile] field, then make this label visible,
> if there is data, make the image visible and the label invisible.
>
> HTH
> Dale
>
> "visidro" <visidro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have a table where I store the employee picture.  I have a form where I
>> would like to have the picture show when the employee is choosen from a
>> combo
>> box.  Is this done with Object frames?
>> Can some one help me set this up please.
>> thank you
>> victor.

0
therese
11/24/2007 11:22:43 PM
Thanks for your reply Dale.  I am faily new to access can you take me step by
step please.
I understand about storing the filename but
How do I check exactly to see if there is an entry, and set the property
values, ect
can you help me with the code please.
thank you very much.

"Dale Fye" wrote:

> Victor,
>
> I recommend against actually storing the picture in the database.  This will
> bloat your database incredibly, and, depending on the size of your company,
> and the size of the images, could cause you to rapidly approach the maximum
> file size (2GB for 2003) of an Access database.  Instead, I recommend
> storing the file name in the database in a field [PhotoFile].
>
> Then, add an image control to your form, but don't actually assign a photo
> to it.  Actually, I would even set the visible property to False.  Then, in
> the forms Current event, I would check to see whether there is an entry in
> the [PhotoFile] field for this employee.  If there is, then set the images
> Picture property to the value in your [PhotoFile] field and set the visible
> property to True.  To enhance this further, you might also want to create a
> label of the same size as the image, put it in the same place as the image
> and give it text that reads "Employee photo not available".  If there is no
> data in the [PhotoFile] field, then make this label visible, if there is
> data, make the image visible and the label invisible.
>
> HTH
> Dale
>
> "visidro" <visidro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a table where I store the employee picture.  I have a form where I
> > would like to have the picture show when the employee is choosen from a
> > combo
> > box.  Is this done with Object frames?
> > Can some one help me set this up please.
> > thank you
> > victor.

Outlook 2003 : show different calendars together / share contacts
Hi! I'm part of several organisations and for each one, I have a different personal folder. In each one I also have a list of contacts and a calendar. Now what I'd like to be able to do is: - Show the events from different calendars TOGETHER, that is in ONLY one calendar page, rather than all calendars side-to-side. Indeed when I need to setup a meeting with one, I need to make sure that it doesn't clash with events from other organisations. Checking every single one calendar separately is a pain. I would want to see all the events put together in one calendar. Is it possib...

How can I scan a text form into a fillable word doc?
I have an HP psc 2210xi all-in-one printer/scanner. I am trying to scan an application (job application) onto my pc (Dell - XP operating system) as a fillable usable form that I can make changes to. I am using MS Office suite 2007. Can I do it in word or should it be a different MS Application? Thank you, Cecelala Cecelala wrote: > I have an HP psc 2210xi all-in-one printer/scanner. I am trying to scan an > application (job application) onto my pc (Dell - XP operating system) as a > fillable usable form that I can make changes to. I am using MS Office suite > 2...

New record in second form
I have two forms; Form 1 and Form 2. What I want to know is that is it possible to add a new record in Form 2 through Form 1, i.e. have a command button in Form 1 which when clicked will add a new record to Form 2? Thanks On Jun 29, 5:42 pm, AKphidelt <AKphid...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > What do you mean by this? You want to add a new record to Form 2's recordset > or listbox or what? yes i want to add a new record to form 2's recordset On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:05:17 -0700, Asif <asifhashmani@hotmail.com> wrote: >On Jun 29, 5:42 pm, AKphidelt <AKp...

Items report shows negative -1 in Available quantity field
When I run the Items (all) report by clicking the "Items" button and sort the Available Qty. field on the report, I am finding -1 items in the Available Qty. field even though we are out of these items. When I drill into the properties of the item, and go to the Inventory tab, and look at the committed field, I find that RMS has a 1 in the field and a -1 in the Available field, yet On_hand has a zero. I would like to be able to zero out the Committed and the Available fields to zero, but would also like to know how this occured to begin with? We think that we may have had a...

Form closing unexpectedly without error
Morning all. I'm seeing something really strange on a form I'm reviewing, wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions. Access XP/ Windows XP. I'm opening the form to add a new record with: DoCmd.OpenForm "frmInventoryItem", _ DataMode:=acFormAdd, windowmode:=acWindowNormal Only one field on this form is required. If I enter the required field, everything happens as I would expect. If I do not fill it in, then: * If I close the form by clicking on the "x" in the upper right corner, I'm prompted twice: once that "The field '...

Printer icon in SysTray always shows?
Not sure what happened, but the printer icon always shows in the SysTray. I have "Hide when inactive", but it doesn't hide. I can say "Always hide" but it's still there when I click that little arrow to open the SysTray. It used to never show at all unless printing. Also when I go into where I set the options and look under "Past Items" theres a lot of entries in there for items I no longer even have installed on my computer. Is there a way to get those not to show in there? "yuppicide" <yuppicide138@optonline.net> wrot...

Pictures don't display in tables
Have been inserting jpegs into word tables for years. Suddenly the picture doesn't display in normal or print mode. Instead I get an border. If I click inside of the border the drag handles appear but they are not active. It's a pain I can live with as the pictures do print however, I can't size them. What have I messed up? -- Joe Hi Joe, You might want to check if you have the option "Show picture placeholders" enabled? Its help text indicates "Display an empty box in place of each graphic in the document to improve scrolling performance....

Form/Subform Synchronization
I have two form/subforms. The main forms have command buttons that enable the other form/subform. The subforms are identical with the exception of three text boxes. The forms are exactly the same. The main form has a list box that tells Access which record to retrieve. The two subforms get out of sync when I use the command buttons to toggle between the ‘expanded’ and ‘compressed’ views of information for each record. The command buttons use an After Update event to load the form/subform combinations. How do I keep the subforms on the same record in the table? This is an at...

How to show actual sum
Any help will be appreciated, I am trying to display the actua calculation along with the answer. In excel you enter a formula in cell and that gives you the answer I would also like to display th working out. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Something like: ="B1+B2=" & B1+B2 Regards Trevor "wk495292 >" <<wk495292.15n6xv@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:wk495292.15n6xv@excelforum-nospam.com... > Any help will be appreciated, I am trying to display the actual > calculation along with the answer. In excel you en...

User Form
I am creating a user form. One of the fields is for the date of birth of the person being entered. The person being entered has to be between 14 and 16 on the date of entry. Is there a way to set up some type of validation so that if the person isn't between 14 and 16 an error message will pop up? If so, how? Thanks. There's a function called =datedif() that you can use. Select your cell (I used A1). Data|Validation Custom formula: =AND(DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"y")>13,DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"y")<17) First, take a look at Chip Pearson's notes at: http://ww...

Using a combo box in an Excel form
I'm experienced with Excel & VBA, but new to using Excel to create a form. I would like to simply use a cell as a drop down. Not knowing if that is possible, I have added a combo box to the spreasheet, but I am unclear how the data entered/selected in the drop down will be stored. Is it stored as a VB variable associated with the control or do I link the control to a cell to store the data? To define the values in the drop down/combo box, do I have to use cell references or can I write in the values in the properties (writing them in hasn't worked for me)? Finally, what ...

Form Grouping
Qt based on Access 2007 I cannot seem to find a way to UN-GROUP text boxes on Forms created with the Form Wizard Any help would be appreciated On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 16:12:01 -0800, zyzzyva <zyzzyva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Select the controls, then click Remove on the Arrange ribbon. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >Qt based on Access 2007 > >I cannot seem to find a way to UN-GROUP text boxes on Forms created with the >Form Wizard > >Any help would be appreciated ...

picture 02-22-08
hope you like it.. "Maria Sanchez" <fabulosa356@yahoo.com> wrote > hope you like it.. Perhaps fortunately, there was no picture -- if you thought you were sending e-mail, that would be fortunate. This is a newsgroup devoted to questions, answers, and technical discussion about Microsoft Access database software. Larry Linson Microsoft Office Access MVP ...

Spreadsheet for customer product form
Hi, I am new and this is my first post. So please forgive me in advance fo my ignorance but I only know the basics of Excel right now. I have bee searching the web for days and finally came across your forum. What I am trying to accomplish is I want customers to be able to selec from a long list of products. How do I make several drop down list where they can select a product o more than one product in the list and then the product they select wit the information they input on that row, like quantity etc. will b added to another spreadsheet, and that spread sheet the rows will g one aft...

Showing Number of Read Messages
Hi. In Outlook Today I show my Inbox, Outbox, Drafts and Junk-E-Mail folders. When I have no unread mail in my Inbox Outlook Today displays 0. But, my Junk-E-Mail folder displays the number of messages regardless of whether they have been read or not. Is this by design? If I've read the messages in my Junk-E-Mail folder I want Outlook Today to display 0. Thanks, James ...

Filter form with 2 combo boxes error
Hi everyone, I have a little problem filtering two fields in a continuous form :( Private Sub filtro_Click() Dim ftrcand As String Dim ftrseccao As String ftrcand = "[desig_candidatura_a] = '" & Me!cand_a & "'" ftrseccao = "[gt design] = '" & Me!gt & "'" If ((Not IsNull(Me.cand_a)) And (((Not IsNull(Me.gt)) ))) Then Me.Filter = "[desig_candidatura_a] = '" & Me!cand_a & "'" and "[gt design] = '" & Me!gt & "'" Me.FilterOn = True End If Bo...

CRM 4.0 : How to manage a datagrid in a form ?
Hello, I have the following issue regarding the management of a meeting : - manage invitation for at least 1000 people. - manage the type of people : participants, organizer, speaker - manage the answer to the invitation After the meeting, I need to check the status of the people invited (present, not present). I was thinking to use the appointment entity but there is no way to manage the type of people, invitation's answer ... If you have experienced this type of issue or concept, please let me know how did you manage it. Thanks, -- Cyril CRM consultant ...

convert number to dozen showing remainder
Trying to convert a number to show dozen with remainder. ie: convert 29ea to 2dz 5ea =INT(A1/12)&" doz "&(MOD(A1,12))&" ea" The value in aA1 should be a number edvwvw hayescircus wrote: >Trying to convert a number to show dozen with remainder. ie: >convert 29ea to 2dz 5ea -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-new/201003/1 ...

OAB's show in GAL EX2003
Using Exchange 2003 in Native mode.... In my GAL I see OAB Version 2, OAB Version 3a, and Offline Address Book in the list. In Exchange system manager, should these be mail-enabled objects? (Under System Folders) Thanks.... On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:29:14 -0500, "Craig" <craigm@comcast.net> wrote: >Using Exchange 2003 in Native mode.... >In my GAL I see OAB Version 2, OAB Version 3a, and Offline Address Book in >the list. Check the box to hide them from the Exchange Address Lists. > >In Exchange system manager, should these be mail-enabled objects? (Unde...

Form problem 03-11-08
Hi there, I have an input form to capture records to linked SQL tables. the one form opens up with a blank screen on a new record, which is right. The other form opens up with a record loaded... I've looked at every single property for the form, but cannot see a difference between the two forms. Also, the tables that the forms are linked to are identical in setup. Can you help?! On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:05:01 -0700, PsyberFox <PsyberFox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi there, > >I have an input form to capture records to linked SQL tables. the one form >opens...

Form size and Global.js file in the CRM or SFA's .JS
In 3.0 I used the .JS to control individual form sizes. Can this still be done on 4.0 as I have used some other on-open methods and the form size is seen to open and reset each time which is a little slow and 'untidy'. If so does anyone have a sample script? ...

Jpeg pictures print as solid black boxes.
I have created a catalogue in Publisher with .jpeg pictures inserted from a file, some are okay but most are printing as solid black boxes. The print preview shows them perfectly. On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 03:07:27 +0000, Majick wrote (in article <045C4C06-9DC4-4713-B1C2-3AC4C3D2A348@microsoft.com>): > I have created a catalogue in Publisher with .jpeg pictures inserted from a > file, some are okay but most are printing as solid black boxes. The print > preview shows them perfectly. Nothing whatsoever to do with Publisher. Update your printer driver. Majick wrote: > I h...

Show fraction as fraction even if answer is 1
I have excel sheet and I am trying to get data from from two diff columns. example C23 has certain value and F23 has certain value. Now after playing around, I found the fraction C23/F23 to show as fractions, but when the answer for C23/F23 comes to 1, then it shows 1. how can I have that show 10/10? Please help asap Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Custom Sorting With IComparable and IComparer http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/d5a8c475-2395-41e7-9c19-aa2edb23422e/custom-sorting-with-icomp.aspx Excel cannot be made to display an improper frac...

Unread Meail box constantly shows there are unread messages
Outlook 2007. My "Unread mail box" indicates there are 2 unread mails - but no mails are listed in the folder. When I receive further mails, the ounct goes up and the new mails ar shown in the folder, but, always, the count of unread mails is two more than are shown. Is there a way of curing this? Gerald Do you perhaps have a filter applied to that view? If you are not bothered about where the count is coming from simply right click the folder and choose Mark All as Read. For the next time; don't multipost but crosspost instead; it will leave the discussion i...

How do i get a combo box to enter data in a table from a form?
I want to use a form for data entry. Within that form I have two combo boxes to look up recurring data. When I select an item and expect it to write to another table it does not. What must i do to accomplish this? You'll need to tell us more details about your form's setup and the tables' designs. Your question suggests, though, that you may be storing data redundantly in your database, which usually is unnecessary and may be a source of future data integrity problems. -- Ken Snell <MS ACCESS MVP> "Joe Owens" <Joe Owens@discussions.microsoft.c...