Shared Access DB is Locked in Exclusive Mode

I have an application in VB6-SP6 that uses an Access database for the
back-end. Initially, it was only going to be used my one person (me), so I
did not create the ability to have multiple users log into it. In order to
accomodate additional users using the application, I put the database on a
network drive and installed the front-end on the other users' desktops.

When opening the database, I now pass through for it to open the database in
Shared Mode. I realize this could cause issues, if multiple people are
making changes, but the other users are just using the program to look up
data as opposed to me who also performs data entry.

The problem I am having now is that sometimes when I leave the application
running on my desktop, other users are not allowed into the database and
receive the "database is locked exclusively by another user" error. As far
as I can tell, we all have read/write/delete privileges to the directory
where the database is.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Merg

--
Today's problems don't worry me,
I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

0
The
1/27/2008 7:35:57 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Excel locking up
For some strange reason I open a spreadsheet and when I click in the cell, I cannot do anything else...as I move the mouse around the selected cells just increases wherever I move the mouse....no menu selections are available and I cannot even select the close box in the upper right..I have to right click in the bottom taskbar and select close.... when I reopen it allows me to access all the menus items until I click in a cell and it locks up again....HELP!! if I restart the computer it goes away, but then it happens again several days later Hi Mabe David's page will help http://...

Office XP Exel
Scenario: User's A,B, C, and D all have access to an excel XLS on a 2003 server. Users A & B have modify rights, users C&D only have read rights. If user A updates the file, the general tab in properties reflect the exact time the file was modified. After user A saves and closes the file, user D goes in. The changes are there, but in the properties general tab, the modify date in an old date (probably the actual creation date). Is this normal ? Any idea's ? ...

File share cannot be reached on Windows 2008 SBS via VPN
I have a problem with VPN connection to one server (Windows 2008 SBS). I can ping the server through VPN but I cannot reach file share from the server and RDP also not working. BUT I can see other shares and RDP on an other computers in the same LAN (single subnet). That specific server is connected with only one network adapter to the network. This server is the DC, DHCP, DNS, VPN, Exchange with the IP address: 192.168.17.2. The default GW is the router (to internet) : 192.168.17.1. Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 VPN is using the local DHCP. The firewall is switched off. What can...

How to share same email a/c on 2 pc
I have linked 2 pc via Windows Small Office network. How to let these 2 pc share the same email a/c in Microsoft Outlook. Plse provide solution in detailed steps as I am a novice. Operating syste=xp outlook version 2003 Thanks "Christine" <centrol@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message news:hop8fj$7la$1@reader01.singnet.com.sg... > I have linked 2 pc via Windows Small Office network. > > How to let these 2 pc share the same email a/c in Microsoft Outlook. > > Plse provide solution in detailed steps as I am a novice. > > Operating sys...

comdlg32.ocx and Access 2007
I have several Access databases that were originally written using an Access version prior to Access 2007. I am in the process of converting the databases and installing them on new machines running Win7 and Access 2007. Over the years, one of the References I commonly used was comdlg32.ocx. It does not appear that either Win7 or Access 2007 installs that particular Active X file. I can copy it from an older machine, but that seems like a strange solution. Is comdlg32.ocx a "legacy" Active X file and has it been replaced with a newer (and differently named) Activ...

Excel / VBA / SQL DB
Anybody done any work with Excel / VBA / SQL DB? Can you give me some pointers on how I could do the following all in one VBA routine: 1) From a cell variable value (ie, user enters a customer code), I query table A and put the data into a worksheet starting from say cell A1. 2) A blank row is created after the last data line in point 1 above. 3) Using the same cell variable, query table B and put the data into the worksheet starting from the row after the blank row in point 2 above. and so on. Like I've said before I work with ASP all day and know about ADO connections, commands and...

Inserting Excel into Access Reports

Simple Access counting queries

Expression Too Complex in Access 2000
Hi, Consider the following query: SELECT crTbl.acct_1, crTbl.amount, crTbl.date FROM crTbl WHERE (((crTbl.acct_1)="Supplies") AND ((crTbl.date) Between [Forms]![crReportOptionsFrm]![startDate] And [Forms]![crReportOptionsFrm]![endDate])); The query works fine on my own computer in Access 2002. When converted to Access 2000 and used on an other computer, I get the following error: "This expression is typed incorrectly or is too complex to be evaluated. Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to variables." The problem is with the "Between...

groups detail section totals access 2003
Hi all, I know this can be done, but haven't figured out how yet. I have what basically is a summary report that my sql comes up with for the detail rows. I want to total these rows in the report and display immediately below the detail section. I don't really want to group anything, but want to treat the whole detail section as a group. That being said, how can I get a "group footer" on the designer so I can add my total columns. If I use "sorting and grouping", it starts grouping things and that is not what I want. I don't want to use the "page foo...

removing predefined locked fileds
do someone know by a chance how to remove predefined locked fileds from some forms (like address fileds in the Order form) ? On Feb 4, 1:05 am, "eliran" <eliran...@gmail.com> wrote: > do someone know by a chance how to remove predefined locked fields > from some forms (like address fields in the Order form) ? You can't remove, but can hide them using onLoad event script like this: crmForm.all.ordernumber_c.style.display="none"; crmForm.all.ordernumber_d.style.display="none"; If there are a lot of fields, that you want to hide, you can p...

Viewing shared 2003 outlook calendar in 2007 Outlook
Shared calendars with colleagues who have 2003. I can see the calendar but not the info in the calendar. Nothing is provate marked from their side and is able to be seen by other 2003 users. is there a quick fix? ...

Junk E-Mail filter unavailable in online mode
We had Outlook 2003 clients on an Exch 2000 server, and, as expected, the Junk E-Mail filter was not available when working in online mode. In cached mode it was working fine. Now, after upgrading the organization and server to Exch 2003, the Junk E-Mail filter is still not available in online mode. According to all the MS documentation this should be working. Any ideas? Thanks kindly, FV All of the documentation that I have know of says that it works on in Cache Mode. Can you give us a link to the documentation that you saw that shows it will work with online profiles? Thanks, -- Matth...

Remote access to another company's Outlook calendar?
Hello! I have one client on Exchange 2003 that wants to access the calendar of an employee (consultant?) at another company running Exchange (version not known yet). How can the remote company share this person's calendar with my client? He would need to access it and add appointments to it. Thank you for the help! Gregg Hill On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:15:24 -0700, "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote: >Hello! > >I have one client on Exchange 2003 that wants to access the calendar of an >employee (consultant?) at another company running Exchange (version no...

Can't connect to Exchange server after VPN access
I can connect to my office Exchange server when in the office (LAN) but I cannot connect outside with Outlook. I can only use the webmail after entering a web VPN access: - First portal for VPN : https://xxx.yyy.com --> I enter my user_VPN/password_VPN - On the next web page, I have the choice for the webmail and it's a link as https://xxx.yyy.com/go/webmail.yyy.com~ssl where I can enter my user_mail/password_mail So I can't enter the url in RPC as every slash is forbidden In my Outlook, the Exchange server (EXC.yyy.com) is not reachable by ping (or tracert) and I can't ...

Access 2007 12-17-09
I am building a contact data base for my church. How do I get the phone field to automatically format like this (xxx) xxx-xxxx when the numbers are typed in the cell? -- Thank You In the form design view select the phone control and open the properties dialog. Goto the Data tab and use the Input Mask to define the format you wish to use. If you click on the ... to the right hand side on the property you will get another dialog where there are predefined input mask or you can define your own. For instance, I use !\(999") "000\-0000;0;_ to format my telepho...

Share files
I can't work with files on laptop while networked with home computer. From home computer, laptop files are read only even though I try to change their properties (share, let users make changes) on the laptop.????????????? Help, anyone? Buzz ...

VBA project locked
Hi While importing the Calender package (Calendar80.Package) i got the following error "Package contains items that cannot be imported becuase their VBA project locked" Date Dialong , Microsoft Calender control 11.0 and Rm_Analysis Report were shown as locked How to resolve this ? ...

Sent Messages Stay in Outbox as Unread Messages (Outlook 2003-Exchange Cached Mode)
Hello anyone and everyone! I have had several individuals at my company have this happen. Although the mail was sent as it should be the message in question stays in the outbox as an unread message and doesn't ever get delivered to the sent box as normal. The individuals must move the message manually to the sent items folder. In one instance, I read an article about Outlook 200 regarding the message threshold for the sent items folder (16k messages) even though there was no where near that amount in the sent items (more like 500 messages) I just cleared a few out and sure enough it sta...

Can Entourage be used to access Google Groups
I am in the process of switching from PC to Mac. In Entourage, I see this news server. Can I get some of my newsgroups in Google Groups to show on Entourage or Mac Mail? Responses off group will be welcome if I have asked something everyone except me knows. Thanks, Michael Plog On 1/31/10 3:25 PM, Michael Plog wrote: > I am in the process of switching from PC to Mac. In Entourage, I see this > news server. Can I get some of my newsgroups in Google Groups to show on > Entourage or Mac Mail? > > Responses off group will be welcome if I have asked something e...

Customer Relationship not shared
I have an issue with the following CRM 3.0 scenario: User A is member of the top level business unit User B is member of a business unit which is child of the top level business unit User B is member of Team X. Contact 1 and Contact 2 are owned by user A, and both are shared to Team X with read, write and append privilege. Between Contact 1 and Contact 2, a customer relationship is created by User B. Both the contacts are accessible by User B, however the customer relationship is not visible to User B. Does anyone know if this is by design? And has anyone a suggestion for ...

Publish A Workbook Onto The Web, Then Access Using My Web Browser.
How do I access my spreadsheet, or workbook, on the web once I've saved it as a webpage from the file menu? I've found that even though I've save my workbook as a webpage, it does not have an http:// address which I can type in my web browser to access the workbook from my home computer or from a remote computer. Should I have to sign up with an http:// service provider or can this all be done from using Microsoft Office XP without going through a third-party? -- sigmad You have to have a website first of all, otherwise, where do you want to host this page? "sigmad&q...