sending and receiving tables with relationships

I have a database with three linked tables (parent table, a child and a
"grandchild" table).  There are 8 field reps in the company I work for.  Each
of the parent tables cooresponds with the data pertaining to each rep.  What
I'm wanting to do it to somehow separate the data so I can send each rep just
their table and corresponding children tables, they update the data and send
it back to me.  Is there a way to do this?  I have found a way to do it with
all the data in one table, but the forms to enter data end up being cluttered,
hard to navigate and confusing.

prairiewind
5/4/2007 2:43:31 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

If you can identify each rep's data, it is simple to write a query to
separate it and use that query as the source of a Make-Table query. Separate
the data into separate back ends with the same front-end sent to each rep.
You can also use Access replication to distribute a replica to each rep.
Your database must be split to do that or you will invariably wind up with a
corrupt database.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"prairiewind via AccessMonster.com" <u33121@uwe> wrote in message
>I have a database with three linked tables (parent table, a child and a
> "grandchild" table).  There are 8 field reps in the company I work for.
> Each
> of the parent tables cooresponds with the data pertaining to each rep.
> What
> I'm wanting to do it to somehow separate the data so I can send each rep
> just
> their table and corresponding children tables, they update the data and
> send
> it back to me.  Is there a way to do this?  I have found a way to do it
> with
> all the data in one table, but the forms to enter data end up being
> cluttered,
> hard to navigate and confusing.

Arvin
5/4/2007 3:46:04 AM
On Fri, 04 May 2007 02:43:31 GMT, "prairiewind via AccessMonster.com"
<u33121@uwe> wrote:

>I have a database with three linked tables (parent table, a child and a
>"grandchild" table).  There are 8 field reps in the company I work for.  Each
>of the parent tables cooresponds with the data pertaining to each rep.  What
>I'm wanting to do it to somehow separate the data so I can send each rep just
>their table and corresponding children tables, they update the data and send
>it back to me.  Is there a way to do this?  I have found a way to do it with
>all the data in one table, but the forms to enter data end up being cluttered,
>hard to navigate and confusing.

Well... then fix the forms. The one table is by far the best design. You
cannot extract a table from a database and send it separately!

It should be very easy to have a Form (based on the one master table) filtered
by the rep's ID to show only her data. The Subforms would link only to those
records. The rep's ID could be entered when they open Access, and they'd not
even need to see any extra controls at all!

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
5/4/2007 4:07:51 AM
"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in

> If you can identify each rep's data, it is simple to write a query
> to separate it and use that query as the source of a Make-Table
> query. Separate the data into separate back ends with the same
> front-end sent to each rep. You can also use Access replication to
> distribute a replica to each rep. Your database must be split to
> do that or you will invariably wind up with a corrupt database

You can't exchange replicas once you've started editing the replica
in place, however. That is, once you've distributed a replica to its
editing location, it has to stay there, and synchs have to happen in
place with other replicas. You cannot copy or email replicas arouhd
once you've started entering data in them.

David
5/4/2007 10:43:48 PM
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in
>
>> If you can identify each rep's data, it is simple to write a query
>> to separate it and use that query as the source of a Make-Table
>> query. Separate the data into separate back ends with the same
>> front-end sent to each rep. You can also use Access replication to
>> distribute a replica to each rep. Your database must be split to
>> do that or you will invariably wind up with a corrupt database
>
> You can't exchange replicas once you've started editing the replica
> in place, however. That is, once you've distributed a replica to its
> editing location, it has to stay there, and synchs have to happen in
> place with other replicas. You cannot copy or email replicas arouhd
> once you've started entering data in them.

That's true. I didn't mean to give the impression that replicas could be
emailed around. The replica, or a partial replica must be sync'd with the
master as often as the data refreshing is required.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

0
Arvin
5/6/2007 3:57:48 AM

> "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in
>>
>>> If you can identify each rep's data, it is simple to write a
>>> query to separate it and use that query as the source of a
>>> Make-Table query. Separate the data into separate back ends with
>>> the same front-end sent to each rep. You can also use Access
>>> replication to distribute a replica to each rep. Your database
>>> must be split to do that or you will invariably wind up with a
>>> corrupt database
>>
>> You can't exchange replicas once you've started editing the
>> replica in place, however. That is, once you've distributed a
>> replica to its editing location, it has to stay there, and synchs
>> have to happen in place with other replicas. You cannot copy or
>> email replicas arouhd once you've started entering data in them.
>
> That's true. I didn't mean to give the impression that replicas
> could be emailed around. The replica, or a partial replica must be
> sync'd with the master as often as the data refreshing is
> required.

And just to be repetitive, it must be synched in place, where it has
been edited. You can't copy it to some other location for synching.

David
5/6/2007 10:36:53 PM
"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in

> I didn't mean to give the impression that replicas could be
> emailed around.

And, oh, I forgot -- an explanation of *why* replicas have to be
synched in place is found here (no line wrap, no spaces, all on one
line):

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.ms-access/msg/9f5a84194
fa6c653

David

SMTP Outbox won't send
I have set up Outlook 2003 to get my email from Compuserve. It uses IMAP4 for input and SMTP for outgoing. Reading the email is working OK. But i replied to an incoming email, the reply went into the Outlook Outbox, but nothing I do will cause it to be sent. Send/Receive All does not empty the Outbox and neither does Send All. If reading the mail works, how do I get the Outbox to send the reply? ...

Outlook 2000 just received mail...
....but checking is *off*. I have a spam filter which I manually fire up to process all mail, therefore I turn checking off in Outlook 2000. So why did I just receive some? Very strange... Neil --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.509 / Virus Database: 306 - Release Date: 12/08/2003 ...

Send Direct Email does nothing
I've been searching for a solution to this issue for a few days now, so whoever can help me resolve this will get a large supply of kudos! Here's the deal: This sytem was recently upgraded from 1.2 to 3.0. I did the upgrade myself and my user belongs to the powerful groups in both Active Directory and CRM so I'm pretty darn sure I've got the correct privledges. I created a Contact in CRM (another version of myself with an email at an external domain) and clicked 'Send Direct Email'. I received it and it was logged into history properly. Yeah! I then created anoth...

Pivot Table #5
I create a pivot table of growing data each month. Now when I create the pivot table after I set up the layout. I see the message "calculating Pivot Table" but nothing happens. Is there some setting I need to change on my computer. All I get now is a empty new worksheet. ...

how do i send a publisher calendar to blackberry?
-- Carrie Murphy Read the Blackberry manual but I strongly suspect you won't be able to do anything with a Publisher file at all on your phone. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "CARRIE" <so_cal_faith@msn.com> wrote in message news:A128BE10-D276-4B15-A74D-C472F3EA45A4@microsoft.com... > > -- > Carrie Murphy JoAnn, The Blackberry is a bit more than a phone... How to Do Everything with Your BlackBerry (How to Do Everything) http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=4-978007225587...

how to use temporary tables in dex
Hi Somebody has one example of how to use temporary tables in dex Cesar Hi Cesar. Define temp tables just as you would define a SQL table in Dex - but with physical name as "temp" without the quotation. I recommend using database type ctree for performance as it would just create a temp file in your directory. From there on, just use the temp table as you would with normal dex table but remember that once you are done with your routine, your temp table will be deleted automatically. Use temp table as a temporary repository for your calculations, reports, etc. ---Darryl Baj...

Table requires Custom Linking to Excel
I have a table in Word 2000 with various columns. Each row represents one order for a meal package. One of the columns indicates one of three baked pies to order (apple, cherry or pumpkin). Another column indicates whether or not the order has been paid or unpaid. Is there a way to put a total number for each of the pie types ordered into an Excel worksheet? Similarly, would there be a way to analyze all of the rows, and for all rows with an unpaid status, multiply this number by the cost for each meal package, and display this result in an Excel worksheet as money due? Thanks...

How do I add a secondary axis to a pivot table chart?
Using XL2007 - the secondary axis radio buttons are greyed out. Is there a way to add the 2nd axis? Hi, This is chart type dependent. Suppose you have a line chart, right click the series and choose Format Series, the Axis radio button should be available. What type of chart are you using? Cheers, Shane Devenshire "dangelor" <dangelor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2610028F-5FAF-4400-A3E3-B7D0CCEFB443@microsoft.com... > Using XL2007 - the secondary axis radio buttons are greyed out. Is there a > way to add the 2nd axis? ...

pivot tables #9
i posted this on the general forum but i thought maybe someone here can help me. I have a table that has four regions and total sales amount for each reason by week. my pivot table lists all those and totals it per region per month. i want to add in the pivot table a percentage of the regions sales for that one week over the total sales for all four regions. is there a way i can add that to the table? i.e. the table is currently like this: Week 1 East 500 Midwest 487 South 529 West 492 Total 2008 i want to add the percentages like this: Week 1 East ...

Outlook sending unknown hidden messages
Hello all, My Outlook is sending hidden messages (as indicated by the status bar) when I don't have any, or sometimes one message, in my Outbox. They shouldn't be read receipts from legitimate Email, because I usually haven't opened any mail that contains receipt requests (I get VERY little mail from unknown sources, so I would know). I first noticed this when sending one piece of mail, and the status bar said sending 1 of 2 messages. Sometimes when I send one message it will start with "Sending message 2 of 3," then go to 3 of 3, and only then do the one message I ...

disabling data updates within excel pivot table
When saving a Office Web Component Excel Pivot Table, as displayed from with a Web Browser, using the excel export function, I want to be able to freeze the data displayed, so that when ever I reopen the saved excel file the data content does not change to reflect any subsequent changes in the under lying OLAP cube ...

Send Email Permissions
We are trying to send emails to a group of contacts using the IE client. We are going to tools, advanced find to define a group of contacts. Then we choose actions, send direct email. When we choose a template and try to complete the activity, we get a message saying that the user doesn't have permission for this action. Our administrative users can perform this action, but the Salesperson and Customer Service Users are not able to complete the action. We have perused the security role settings but are unable to figure out which one is affecting this. Any ideas? Hi Greg, I...

How do I block someone from sending me e-mail?
There is someone that keep sending me e-mail and I want to block them in Outlook, please help. Create a rule to delete the messages as they arrive. tools, rules wizard. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "Stargolf" <Stargolf@discussions...

Send/Receive Freezes
W2K w/Outlook XP - several rules created: Exception List Adult Content Senders Junk Senders where my name is not in the To box where my name is in the Cc box The last four have the setting of 'permanently delete it' the problem is that when I click Send/Receive OL freezes all the time forcing me to close it as it stops running. I can only Send/Receive with the rules checked off. I then have to open rules check them back on and hit the run/now. Is there something wrong with OL for this to happen all the time? TIA ...

sending attachments #3
I downloaded all the security updates for Outlook 2000. Now Outlook can't send attachments. The attachments appear in the "send" directory, but the receiver of the email gets no attachments. Hi Stu, The Outlook security feature blocks attachments that are potentially unsafe. This security feature provides an additional level of protection against malicious messages. Although Outlook 2000 SR-1 or Outlook 2000 SR-1a blocks access to the attachment, the attachment still exists in the message. For more information on resolving this issue, please refer to Knowledge Base art...

Tie Contact address to Send From address?
Hi, Outlook Express (if not, then Outlook) Can you tie a particular contact to a Send From address? In my contacts, there are people I want to ensure I only send from one email address, which isn't the default address. I thought about using a second client, but I like to keep all email in one client. If I can't do this in Express, but can in Outlook, then I'll migrate to Outlook. Thanks, Andrew "narrator" <narrator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6B1B4C7A-9849-4AD6-9630-87ED2F418C2B@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > Ou...

Pivot table returns `
I have data from an SQL WBC-A. When I pivot this data it returns ` (The character below the tilde) Any other data returns the correct pivot. E.g. WBC-X returns WBC-X ...

Code to send SMS text message?
Hi, I would like to send an SMS text message to a cel phone via code within Excel 2007. Has anyone done this? What code / services / products do I need to accomplish this? Does anyone have an example? Thanks in advance. --Dan What gateway are you using? What you would need to do is to snd a internet message to a gateway provider which would then send the messae out on the wireless land. Most likely you are using a webpage interface from your PC to interface with the gateway. So opening up an internet explorer and goiong to an URL is probably the method to use. ...

Tables and banding color in background
I am creating a template where many tables will need to be used. Our standard is to have banding of rows in the table, and when users want to expand the table, I would like them to be able to have the banding automatically occur. This option appears in Word 2007, but does not function well. Has anyone had success with this functionality? Thanks in advance for your help. Color banding can be applied as part of a table style. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "sharon27lily" <sharon27lily@di...

DailySales Table
Hi There, Does anyone know what Type & TypeID columns referring to in DailySales table in HQ ? I have customization guide but there is no details about that columns. Thanks, Arthur Hi Arthur - my understanding of the Daily Sales table is that it gets populated by some internal function that groups based on supplier, cashier, etc. Here are some old notes I found on what the Daily Sales Type refer to: 1: Supplier 2: Category 3: Department 4: Register 5: Cashier 6: Sales Rep -- the TypeID may refer to the batch that's feeding the info (ie batch.batchnumber ...

display the value of an unbound textbox in a field within a table
I created 3 textboxs to calculate the number of business days between 2 dates. The 3rd textbox contains the value. I now want to have this value displayed in a table field. I'm sure this is easy but I'm a complete novice and have spent far too much time on this already. Can anyone help! Fibi, The general concept of tables is that they are for storage of data in the background. They are not for display of data. That is what forms and reports are for. Therefore, the appearance of the data in the tables is not normally relevant, and the display of calculated values is im...

2003 Send on behalf of
How do you set up permissions to send on behalf of a distribution list? I see where you can set this up for an individual mailbox, but not a distribution list. This is on Exchange 2003. I did do this in Exchange 5.5 by giving the distribution list "Send As" authority, but I do not see anything like this in Exchange 2003. I can not find anything on this except incorrect information. Thanks Matt You can only grant the "Send As" permission for Distribution Groups. To do this go to the Security tab of the DG. "Matt1999" <xxscoffxx@aol.com> wrote in...

"Do not send before" option
I've noticed that with Outlook 2003 and Exchange 5.5 the "Do not send before" option does not function correctly i.e. it only works if the client software is running. With Oulook XP and Exchange 5.5, this also worked on the server alone. I've tried turning off cached Exchange mode, but still have the same problem. Is this a compatibility issue with Exchange 5.5, an Outlook 2003 bug or just a reduction in Oulook functionality? ...

doesn't send to yahoo
hi every body, I have windows SBS, with mail server configured. I am able to send and receive from any e-mail, e.g. gmail, hotmail...except Yahoo. I can receive from yahoo but not send to it. what is the problem.. any help? Check Reception Polciy for Sending and receiving mail . . > what is the problem.. any help? > Probably no reverse DNS. Go here, substituting the public IP of your mail server for "1.2.3.4": http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ptr.ch?ip=1.2.3.4 Some mail servers require there be a reverse DNS entry in order to combat spam. -- David L. West http://...

Setting random number range based on query, not table
I have a "quiz" form that randomly pulls up questions from my table. It works fine, and I don't mind that it repeats questions. This allows me to sit and review for as long as I want. The problem is, that I want to use criteria in a query to limit the available questions. If I base this form on a query and limit the number of questions, the code I am using is still setting the maximum number as the number of records in my table. In the past, I had a similar database (which I have lost) that would open the form, set the selector to the last record available to the form,...