Send mail using addresses in Access?

Hi,

We have a membership list in Access 2003. We'd like to send an email to all
the members that have an email address.

From Outlook 2003 I haven't found a way to use the addresses in Access.
I tried running a query, exporting it as .csv and importing it into Outlook.
This requires a non-trivial amount of cleaning up (I used Notepad) to make
all the addresses look good.
I could import the addresses into Outlook, but, once there, I could not do
anything with them such as put them into a distribution list.

Is there a way to get the email addresses in Access attached to emails in
Outlook?
The mail merge to Word produces paper or equivalent, but apparently doesn't
allow me to create emails.
There doesn't seem to be an automatic link from Access to Outlook like the
links to Word and Excel.

What are the options here?

Thanks,

Steve

-1
Stephen
5/16/2007 5:16:09 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hello Stephen:

Have you tried running a word merge document from your access list. Once you
set up your word merge document, when you go to merge - just merge to
outlook (rather than a new document or a printer). My clients do this all
the time. In the end every individual on your list will end up with an email
in the outbox of outlook after your done merging. Then you just go to
outlook and hit the send/receive button. You'll want to make sure outlook is
your default mail application.

Just email if you have any questions:
pavilionze11152000@yahoo.com

1stContactSignature1st Contact (Access Database Services) Email:
1stcontact@charter.net Phone: (608) 437-5647 Snail Mail: 606 Valley Street
Mt. Horeb, WI 53572
"Stephen Quist" <quists@spamfree.msei-co.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We have a membership list in Access 2003. We'd like to send an email to
> all the members that have an email address.
>
> From Outlook 2003 I haven't found a way to use the addresses in Access.
> I tried running a query, exporting it as .csv and importing it into
> Outlook.
> This requires a non-trivial amount of cleaning up (I used Notepad) to make
> all the addresses look good.
> I could import the addresses into Outlook, but, once there, I could not do
> anything with them such as put them into a distribution list.
>
> Is there a way to get the email addresses in Access attached to emails in
> Outlook?
> The mail merge to Word produces paper or equivalent, but apparently
> doesn't allow me to create emails.
> There doesn't seem to be an automatic link from Access to Outlook like the
> links to Word and Excel.
>
> What are the options here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

-1
Michelle
5/16/2007 5:37:09 PM
Hi Michelle,

I did not try that. I did not see an option to merge to outlook when I tried
it. Where should I look for it?

Steve

"Michelle Meyer" <1stcontact@charter.net> wrote in message
> Hello Stephen:
>
> Have you tried running a word merge document from your access list. Once
> you set up your word merge document, when you go to merge - just merge to
> outlook (rather than a new document or a printer). My clients do this all
> the time. In the end every individual on your list will end up with an
> email in the outbox of outlook after your done merging. Then you just go
> to outlook and hit the send/receive button. You'll want to make sure
> outlook is your default mail application.
>
> Just email if you have any questions:
> pavilionze11152000@yahoo.com
>
> 1stContactSignature1st Contact (Access Database Services) Email:
> 1stcontact@charter.net Phone: (608) 437-5647 Snail Mail: 606 Valley Street
> Mt. Horeb, WI 53572
> "Stephen Quist" <quists@spamfree.msei-co.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have a membership list in Access 2003. We'd like to send an email to
>> all the members that have an email address.
>>
>> From Outlook 2003 I haven't found a way to use the addresses in Access.
>> I tried running a query, exporting it as .csv and importing it into
>> Outlook.
>> This requires a non-trivial amount of cleaning up (I used Notepad) to
>> make all the addresses look good.
>> I could import the addresses into Outlook, but, once there, I could not
>> do anything with them such as put them into a distribution list.
>>
>> Is there a way to get the email addresses in Access attached to emails in
>> Outlook?
>> The mail merge to Word produces paper or equivalent, but apparently
>> doesn't allow me to create emails.
>> There doesn't seem to be an automatic link from Access to Outlook like
>> the links to Word and Excel.
>>
>> What are the options here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve

1
Stephen
5/16/2007 6:15:47 PM
There isn't an automatic link, but you can use code such as the code at:

http://www.datastrat.com/Download/OutlookForms2K.zip

and more specifically at:

http://www.datastrat.com/Code/OutlookEmail.txt

Here's a routine that opens a specific Outlook record from Access, but you
need to have stored the Outlook GUID string in Access, programmatically.

Private Sub cmdOutlook_Click()
    Dim olApp As Object
    Dim nsMAPI As NameSpace
    Dim mFolder As MAPIFolder
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim contractor As Object
    Dim EntryID As Variant

    Set olApp = GetObject("", "Outlook.Application")
    Set nsMAPI = olApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")
    Set mFolder = nsMAPI.Folders("Public Folders").Folders("All Public
Folders").Folders("Contractors")

    EntryID = DLookup("ExchangeEntryID", "tblContractor", "[ID] = '" &
Me.txtID & "'")

    If Not IsNull(EntryID) Then
        Set contractor = nsMAPI.GetItemFromID(EntryID, mFolder.StoreID)
        contractor.Display
    Else
        MsgBox ("This customer is not available in the Contractors folder.")
    End If
End Sub

--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Stephen Quist" <quists@spamfree.msei-co.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We have a membership list in Access 2003. We'd like to send an email to
> all the members that have an email address.
>
> From Outlook 2003 I haven't found a way to use the addresses in Access.
> I tried running a query, exporting it as .csv and importing it into
> Outlook.
> This requires a non-trivial amount of cleaning up (I used Notepad) to make
> all the addresses look good.
> I could import the addresses into Outlook, but, once there, I could not do
> anything with them such as put them into a distribution list.
>
> Is there a way to get the email addresses in Access attached to emails in
> Outlook?
> The mail merge to Word produces paper or equivalent, but apparently
> doesn't allow me to create emails.
> There doesn't seem to be an automatic link from Access to Outlook like the
> links to Word and Excel.
>
> What are the options here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

0
Arvin
5/16/2007 6:19:25 PM
Thanks. My skill in VBA is much closer to "novice" than "average" but I
think I can make sense of this.

Steve

"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in message
> There isn't an automatic link, but you can use code such as the code at:
>
> http://www.datastrat.com/Download/OutlookForms2K.zip
>
> and more specifically at:
>
> http://www.datastrat.com/Code/OutlookEmail.txt
>
> Here's a routine that opens a specific Outlook record from Access, but you
> need to have stored the Outlook GUID string in Access, programmatically.
>
> Private Sub cmdOutlook_Click()
>    Dim olApp As Object
>    Dim nsMAPI As NameSpace
>    Dim mFolder As MAPIFolder
>    Dim i As Integer
>    Dim contractor As Object
>    Dim EntryID As Variant
>
>    Set olApp = GetObject("", "Outlook.Application")
>    Set nsMAPI = olApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")
>    Set mFolder = nsMAPI.Folders("Public Folders").Folders("All Public
> Folders").Folders("Contractors")
>
>    EntryID = DLookup("ExchangeEntryID", "tblContractor", "[ID] = '" &
> Me.txtID & "'")
>
>    If Not IsNull(EntryID) Then
>        Set contractor = nsMAPI.GetItemFromID(EntryID, mFolder.StoreID)
>        contractor.Display
>    Else
>        MsgBox ("This customer is not available in the Contractors
> folder.")
>    End If
> End Sub
>
> --
> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> http://www.datastrat.com
> http://www.mvps.org/access
> http://www.accessmvp.com
>
> "Stephen Quist" <quists@spamfree.msei-co.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have a membership list in Access 2003. We'd like to send an email to
>> all the members that have an email address.
>>
>> From Outlook 2003 I haven't found a way to use the addresses in Access.
>> I tried running a query, exporting it as .csv and importing it into
>> Outlook.
>> This requires a non-trivial amount of cleaning up (I used Notepad) to
>> make all the addresses look good.
>> I could import the addresses into Outlook, but, once there, I could not
>> do anything with them such as put them into a distribution list.
>>
>> Is there a way to get the email addresses in Access attached to emails in
>> Outlook?
>> The mail merge to Word produces paper or equivalent, but apparently
>> doesn't allow me to create emails.
>> There doesn't seem to be an automatic link from Access to Outlook like
>> the links to Word and Excel.
>>
>> What are the options here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve

0
Stephen
5/16/2007 7:32:25 PM
Thanks. I will look for it.

> Look for the following tool on your wordmerge toolbar:
>

>> Hi Michelle,
>>
>> I did not try that. I did not see an option to merge to outlook when I
>> tried
>> it. Where should I look for it?
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> "Michelle Meyer" <1stcontact@charter.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello Stephen:
>>>
>>> Have you tried running a word merge document from your access list. Once
>>> you set up your word merge document, when you go to merge - just merge
>>> outlook (rather than a new document or a printer). My clients do this
>>> all
>>> the time. In the end every individual on your list will end up with an
>>> email in the outbox of outlook after your done merging. Then you just go
>>> to outlook and hit the send/receive button. You'll want to make sure
>>> outlook is your default mail application.
>>>
>>> Just email if you have any questions:
>>> pavilionze11152000@yahoo.com

0
Stephen
5/16/2007 7:32:48 PM
Stephen:

On my toolbar - the email merge button sits right next to the button used
when merging to the printer. The email merge button has a picture of an
envelope on it. I tried to copy a picture of the button into my last
response but it didn't "take".

Michelle
> Thanks. I will look for it.
>
> Steve
>
> "Michelle Meyer" <1stcontact@charter.net> wrote in message
>> Look for the following tool on your wordmerge toolbar:
>>

>>> Hi Michelle,
>>>
>>> I did not try that. I did not see an option to merge to outlook when I
>>> tried
>>> it. Where should I look for it?
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>>> "Michelle Meyer" <1stcontact@charter.net> wrote in message

0
Michelle
5/16/2007 8:51:45 PM
Stephen,
>>The mail merge to Word produces paper or equivalent, but apparently
>>doesn't allow me to create emails.

Indeed it does. Export your query containing the email addresses to a csv
file. Exit Access.
Run Word, Tools, MailMerge wizard.  One of the options is to merge to email.

HTH,
UpRider

"Stephen Quist" <quists@spamfree.msei-co.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We have a membership list in Access 2003. We'd like to send an email to
> all the members that have an email address.
>
> From Outlook 2003 I haven't found a way to use the addresses in Access.
> I tried running a query, exporting it as .csv and importing it into
> Outlook.
> This requires a non-trivial amount of cleaning up (I used Notepad) to make
> all the addresses look good.
> I could import the addresses into Outlook, but, once there, I could not do
> anything with them such as put them into a distribution list.
>
> Is there a way to get the email addresses in Access attached to emails in
> Outlook?
> The mail merge to Word produces paper or equivalent, but apparently
> doesn't allow me to create emails.
> There doesn't seem to be an automatic link from Access to Outlook like the
> links to Word and Excel.
>
> What are the options here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

0
UpRider
5/16/2007 11:23:40 PM
On May 16, 9:16 am, "Stephen Quist" <qui...@spamfree.msei-co.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a membership list in Access 2003. We'd like to send an email to all
> the members that have an email address.
>
> From Outlook 2003 I haven't found a way to use the addresses in Access.
> I tried running a query, exporting it as .csv and importing it into Outlook.
> This requires a non-trivial amount of cleaning up (I used Notepad) to make
> all the addresses look good.
> I could import the addresses into Outlook, but, once there, I could not do
> anything with them such as put them into a distribution list.
>
> Is there a way to get the email addresses in Access attached to emails in
> Outlook?
> The mail merge to Word produces paper or equivalent, but apparently doesn't
> allow me to create emails.
> There doesn't seem to be an automatic link from Access to Outlook like the
> links to Word and Excel.
>
> What are the options here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Try the attached link. It pulls all of the addresses from your db and
compiles your message.

0
darrin
5/16/2007 11:32:24 PM
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a membership list in Access 2003. We'd like to send an email to all
> the members that have an email address.
>
> From Outlook 2003 I haven't found a way to use the addresses in Access.
> I tried running a query, exporting it as .csv and importing it into Outlook.
> This requires a non-trivial amount of cleaning up (I used Notepad) to make
> all the addresses look good.
> I could import the addresses into Outlook, but, once there, I could not do
> anything with them such as put them into a distribution list.
>
> Is there a way to get the email addresses in Access attached to emails in
> Outlook?
> The mail merge to Word produces paper or equivalent, but apparently doesn't
> allow me to create emails.
> There doesn't seem to be an automatic link from Access to Outlook like the
> links to Word and Excel.
>
> What are the options here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Forgot the link.
http://www.databasedev.co.uk/email-from-ms-access-form.html

0
darrin

UI Data Validation using XML Schema
Has anybody done UI data validation usinf XML Schemas. Any pointers will help. Thanks! ...

Controlling Access to Contact's History
Is there a way to set a security role up so a user can't delete items from a Contact's History? The user would still need rights to read/ write to the contact record. Go to Settings-->business unit settings-->security roles Choose a role to edit (other than system administrator, you can't change that one). Select the Core Records tab. History, in terms of tasks and appointments, is controlled by the Activity row. History, in terms of notes, is controlled by the Note row. You can set the read and write "pies" seperately from the Delete "pie". Clear th...

how to use the type member in System.Web.Services.Description
hi all, I want to parse the wsdl file . It is ease to parse the parts of wsdl except that the part of types. Because I don't know how to use the System.Web.Services.Description member types . I have searched the MSDN to find answer , but , it tell me very less. So I come here for help. For example, there is a types is defined as follows: - <types> - <s:schema elementFormDefault="qualified" targetNamespace="http://www.webservicex.net"> - <s:element name="GetGeoIP"> - <s:complexType> - <s:sequence> <s:element minOccurs="0...

Sending email but outbox is empty
Hi NG, When I press send/receive Outlook shows in its status bar that it works on sending emails (Sending messages 1 of 4) but there is not mail in outbox. As a result I currently cannot send any other mails since Outlook keeps working on the 4 emails I don't see. Any ideas, I am clueless? - Thanks a lot for any help!!!! Dirk ...

adds staff to access list to ALL PROJECTS if same as their departm
A procedure was written to update all projects, adds staff to access list to ALL PROJECTS if they are the same as their home department. It would be useful to know if there were a feature to define default projects by a given criteria - i.e. By department. [d]elete accesslest insert accesslest (PACONTNUMBER, PAPROJNUMBER, EMPLOYID, ContractEntry, ContractInquire, ContractReport, ContractReview, ProjectEntry, ProjectInquire, ProjectReport, ProjectReview, ALEntry, ALInquire, ALReport, ALReview, EEEntry, EEInquire, EEReport, EEReview, ELEntry, ELInquire, ELReport, ELReview, FFEnt...

Can't auto-complete e-mail addresses
Dear All, I just imported about 2000 contacts in my Outlook 2000 Address Book. Able to see them in the address book and create groups etc. But when i compose a new message and i try to enter some e-mail addresses in TO and then why do outlook do not give me suggestion to auto-complete them? I tried most of the settings. It wont work. What may be the problem? -Sameer Outlook 2000 has no such feature. Autocompletion didn't start until Outlook 2002. Versions of Outlook earlier than Outlook 2002 have a feature called auto-resolution. If you enter part of a name or a nickname then tab out o...

IMC Generates NDR with Mail From: <>
Hi all IMC Generates NDR with Mail From: <> . how to solve this problem Thanks Shaikh ...

Sending URL in Outlook XP

Excel -> Access Import Bizarreness

How To Access Thru News Server
"The messages are visible if you access the group directly using the news server, rather than via the unreliable web interface. -- David Biddulph" David made above comment earlier. How do you do that please? Thanks in advance for any replies. Saved from a previous post: If you're able (not behind a firewall at work???), you may want to connect directly to the MS newsservers. If you have Outlook Express installed, try clicking on these links (or copy and paste into MSIE). news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.excel.setup news://msnews.microsoft...

Proper use of categories in invoicing?
I am a freelance web developer. I use Money to print and track my invoicing. Being a freelancer, I often have a wide variety of clients: there is a continual influx of new clients, as well as a stable of regular clients. The regular clients often bring their own clients with them, and in this case, my role is only to develop the site. As a result, I will often send out 10 or 20 invoices to one of these regular clients over the course of a year, covering work that I may have done on 20 or 30 sites. As it is now, I can sort for invoices to the REGULAR CLIENTS, but I cannot search/sort for i...

Outlook 2002 cannot see address book

Mail Rule
Hi, I would like to create a rule which would delete any emails which DOESN'T contain an attachment, any idea anyone? Thanks for your time, Uri. Here's one method: Rule #1 -- Condition - has an attachment. Action - stop processing more rules Rule #2 -- Condition - none (will act on all messages). Action - delete -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "msnew" <uri@manpower.co.il> wrote in message news:%235sIUzEgEHA...

Normally in Europe I cannot send e-mails now from USA
I just went for holidays to USA and brought my notebook with me - and now I receive mails in my Outlook Epxress, but cannot send e-mails in my different accounts. With gmx-account I solved the problem changing form 25 to 587, but with my other account nothing helps. The message I get is (in german, sorry) Fehler bei der Verbindung zum Server. Betreff *****, Konto: 'Liga für Kinder- und Jugendgesundheit', Server: 'mail.kinderjugendgesundheit.at', Protokoll: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure (SSL): Nein, Socketfehler: 10061, Fehlernummer: 0x800CCC0E Thanks for you...

read receipts with internet mail
I was wondering if anyone knew if you put a read receipt on an email that is going to a gmail or yahoo account...does return receipts work? Thanks ...

Change Mail Recipient #2
In my Office 2003 Picture Manager, when I right click a picture to send to mail or go to File, Send To recipient it goes to Outlook. I wish it to change it to Outlook Express. I have gone to IE, Tools, Options, Programs, and E-mail and changed the default to Outlook Express. My Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint does not go to Outlook they go to Express, it only goes to Outlook in Picture Manager. ...

Outlook 2002
We have a single user who is attaching multiple documents through DOCSOpen to an email message. If he saves this message so he can send it later, it will not send. He just hits the SEND button and nothing happens. According to him , this doesn't happen when he sends an email straight away. Only when it is saved. He has to restart his machine for the email to send. DOes anyone have any ideas? We are running XP with Office XP (2002-SP2) Thank you in advance ...

Macro with relative address problem XSL 2000
Basically I want to (and did at one time) create a macro that edits a number (zip code), inserts a leading zero then moves down one cell. Cell Contents A1 1234 A2 2345 A3 3456 With the cursor on A1 my steps are: Tools\Macro\Record a New Macro\z On Stop Recording Toolbar depress Relative Address, then Edit Home '0 enter Down Click Stop recoding Since the cursor is on a A2, Pressing CTRL+z will make the contents 01234, not the desired 02345. I've tried different combinations of when to depress the relative address button with no success. And double clicking the c...

Can We Use "cout" in MFC? How About "string"?
How do we use "cout" in MFC. How about string maria("lennox")? None of them works. Please explain; maria Why in the world would you want to? Where do you think it is going to put it? For debug tracing, see my Logging Listbox Control on my MVP Tips site. joe On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:19:44 -0400, maria <<>> wrote: >How do we use "cout" in MFC. How about >string maria("lennox")? >None of them works. Please explain; > >maria Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flounder.com MVP Tips: http:...

convert to MS Access db
I have 2 W98 machines, each has Excel2000 and Access2000. One of the machines will convert an Excel worksheet to an Access database, the other will not. I get an Excel message 'A new database cannot be created.' on the machine where this does not work. I have checked the Add-Ins and both machines appear to have the same selections, yet one machine will create the database and the other will not. Any suggestions of where to look will be appreciated Dan ...

Cannot access a file -- HELP
I have this problem at work (using Excel 2000 Windows 2000) and at home (Excel 2003, Windows XP Pro). SOMETIMES...not always, I try to access a file on a network drive I get the message: "path..filename could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name and verify that the file location is correct". Once I get the message on that file, I always get it on the file....but there might be 27 others in the same folder that I can open. And I get the message if I try to open the file via explorer or via Excel. If I copy the file to my C: drive it opens fine. I even tried t...

Sending e-mails as Plain Text when default is HTML
We have a contact that has to receive our e-mails as plain text. He is in our shared contacts folder on exchange 2003. In his contact, I double clicked on the e-mail address and selected "Send Plain Text Only" in the Internet Format field. We have our outlook 2003 settings to use HTML. I thought setting the user contact info with the above setting would change it to plain text before sending it out. But when I check the sent folder, and confirm with the user, the e-mails are going out as HTML. Do we have to manually change the Format setting to Plain Text every time ...

Outlook 2000 Cant Send
We upgraded to Windows 2000 and Outlook 2000 SR-1. Since then, every time I try to send email, I receive an error message that my acount it full. Each morning when I log in, I get a mail message stating that my email has 28,000 bytes and I need to move some things to a pst folder. I checked the hard drive and I can't find a folder with that much information. My personal (.pst) folder only has about 6K of info in it. I can get mail but not send. Out IT people have been unable to figure this out. Can anyone help? I checked the Folder Size for all of the folders under Outlook...