Secondary Axis on Line Chart

Hi Guys,
I posted this a week ago, but it seems to have vanished from the
board!

Is it possible to plot two data sets on the same line graph with
different scales? i.e. Have a secondary axis, like in Excel?

I have one dataset fluctuating around 2.0 over time and another
dataset fluctuating around 50 over time.
If I plot both of these in the same graph, I lose the subtle changes
in the first dataset.
I can sort of bodge it by writing a query with an expression to
multiply the first dataset by 25, but then I can't get the "real"
values to show on the axis.

I find the graph function in Access very infuriating. Why can't they
just allow yout the same features as in Excel?

Thanks for your help (if anyone can solve this one)

Tony

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hi Tony,

I saw your earlier post, but was too busy to reply (and figured someone else
would answer anyway).  But they didn't, and even this post has been up for
about 17 hours, so ...

Yes, it's possible.  And it's essentially the same things that you'd do in
Excel - the graph engines are very similar (possibly identical in some
versions of Office).  Really, the only tricky bit is getting to the chart to
set things as you want.  So, with your report (or form, but I'm assuming
that your chart is in a report, since you've posted to the reports group)
open in design mode, double-click the chart object to enter edit mode for
the chart itself.  The menubar will change to include several charting
menus, chart toolbars will appear, and chart right-click menu will be
available.  Alternatively, with the chart object selected, select
ChartObject - Edit from the right-click menu to open the graph applet in a
separate window.

The simplest way to convert to a two-axis chart is probably just to select
it via Chart Type on either the Chart menu or via the right-click menu;
several 2-axis options are available on the Custom Types tab.  With only two
datasets in your recordsource, you won't need to do any adjustment to set
which dataset is on which axis.  An alternative method is to click on one of
the data series lines in the chart, then from the Format Data Series menu,
select Secondary axis on the Axis tab.

You can, of course, select any chart item and format it as you want, exactly
as when working with a chart in Excel.

HTH,

Rob

<a.t.brooks@talk21.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
> I posted this a week ago, but it seems to have vanished from the
> board!
>
> Is it possible to plot two data sets on the same line graph with
> different scales? i.e. Have a secondary axis, like in Excel?
>
> I have one dataset fluctuating around 2.0 over time and another
> dataset fluctuating around 50 over time.
> If I plot both of these in the same graph, I lose the subtle changes
> in the first dataset.
> I can sort of bodge it by writing a query with an expression to
> multiply the first dataset by 25, but then I can't get the "real"
> values to show on the axis.
>
> I find the graph function in Access very infuriating. Why can't they
> just allow yout the same features as in Excel?
>
> Thanks for your help (if anyone can solve this one)
>
> Tony

0
Rob
7/26/2007 8:47:06 AM
Cheers Rob,
It works a treat!

Stacked chart #4
Hi. I'm hoping this can be done in Excel and that the fabulous discussion group can show me how... I need a "thermometer" type chart and think a Stacked chart might work. Basically, I need to set a goal and show how I'm meeting it. I'm trying to meet an ultimate goal of 57, so 60 could be the max. I've already completed 28. Each week I set a weekly goal, say for this week, a goal of 3 but only complete 2. I'd like the stacked chart to show 28 in one color, a line 3 above that and have only 2 of the 3 colored in. Next week, the goal may be 6 with 7 complet...

Is it possible to overlay one chart on top of another
I would like to overlay 2 charts with different y-axis and the same x-axis? thanks, Curtis Select one of the series, Format Axis, select secondary axis. -- David Biddulph "Curtis" <Curtis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:41BF8770-5678-4742-8CDC-B951C8A1E52E@microsoft.com... >I would like to overlay 2 charts with different y-axis and the same x-axis? > > thanks, > > Curtis Any more details?? thanks, cd "David Biddulph" wrote: > Select one of the series, Format Axis, select secondary axis. > -- > David Biddulph &g...

lower and upper chart
How can i create a worksheet with an upper and a lower chart? Like the Bloomberg Charts. Upper chart with date, open, high, low and close. Lower chart with other indicator. Thanks Probably easiest to create 2 charts and align and format them to look like one. See Stacked Charts http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/stacked_charts/index.html -- Regards, Tushar Mehta http://www.tushar-mehta.com Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach "pb" wrote: > How can i create a worksheet with an upper and a lower chart? Like the > Bloomberg Chart...

Adding Data Information to a Chart
I have a stacked bar chart, with the stacks representing total hours o various groupings of personal. I would like to add data to the chart, but here is the problem. It i easy to add the data value, category name, and/or series name to th chart using the Format Data Series options. However, I need to add dat from another area on the data sheet, which are the numbers representin how many persons are currently in each grouping. Data example: HOURS NUMBERS Group A Group B Group C Group A Group B Group C Nov 1 1000 750 ...

layering logo can't remove white box only lines and text wanted
when trying to place my logo ontop of a background I can't get rid of white box it is in... Only want black lines and text in logo to show with back ground showing through all white areas. Tried following transparent setting info. ... didn't work. Is the logo a bitmap, i.e., .jpg, .tif, bmp, .gif? If it is a .wmf, ungroup it and delete the white box or select no fill. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "sschmitz" <sschmitz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4E6DA9E-117D-4226-9D0...

Combining fields into one line
I want to make a report off of a query. That query lists the name, id, and items bought (Product). For each item bought, there's a new line with the name and id and then the product purchased. I want to make a report that lists the name, id, and then products purchased on one line per individual name. Below is what I have and then what I'm trying to get. What I have: Name ID Product John Hascua 1234 computer John Hascua 1234 Phone John Hascua 1234 Monitor Jeff Green 1524 computer Jeff Green 1524 Memory Card The way I ...

Stacked Colums Chart
I have 2 graphs which are stacked colums charts. They represent million of policies per month. The x-axis and y-axis are the same on both graphs. I want to know if I can have instead of 2 graphs just one graph wit both combines. So for month 1 you would have 2 colums side by sid instead of 1. I attached a sheet with the graphs to make it easier. THANKS, appreciate it -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com here is the attached fil Attachment filename: chart.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=58508 -- Messag...

how do I make multiple pie charts at the same time?
I have multiple lines of data and I want to make multiple pie charts (over 50) at the same time by simply going down the row and creating a pie chart with each row. I can't figure out a macro on how to do it, and simply copying and pasting and then deleting a series resets all of my formatting preferences! A long time ago (nearly 5 years!) I posted this macro that makes a pie for each row in the data range. The data is in A:E, with the category labels in A1:E1 and the values in each row below that. The charts are overlapped ot the right of the data. Sub LotsaPies() ' Macro ...

Excel 2003 chart sheet disappears in Excel 2007
An Excel 2003 file has spreed sheets and chart sheets visible when opened with Excel 2003, but some of the chart sheets are not present when the file is opened in my Excel 2007 -- however, some are present! I sent the file to someone else who has Excel 2007 and he is able to see all of the chart sheets on his Excel 2007. What settings should I be tweaking to see all of the chart sheets? ...

axis wrap text
Hi! When I create bar chart with relatively long lables for categories on Y (left) axis the program by default puts the label in one line. This means that sometimes half of my screen is occupied by labels (i.e. "exchange of cell phone ringtones") and the other half are the actual bars. This gets pretty annoying when I have only few categories and the labels could easily be written in 3 or even four lines. Do you have any ideas hor to force the program to write labels in "wrap text" mode? Kind regards, Sunshine P.S. Another thing that's bothering me is the de...

format text in x axis
I have category text in the x-axis that consists of information from two columns. When I format the text (rotate) only one of the two items is rotated, the other is unchanged. How can I make both rotate to the position I want? Thanks, ...

Need help using objects and charts together
I have a line chart that tracks data for a 12 month period. So as not to mess up the chart, I added a drawn line and text box for information covering only the two most recent months. When I click in the sheet anywhere off the chart, you can see the line, but when I click on the chart anywhere the drawn objects disappear. I am copying the charts to a powerpoint presentation and the drawn objects also don't transfer to that. I have tried selecting the items and telling it to move forward or to the front, I have also tried telling the chart to move to the back. Neither of these o...

Chart Type to use? (XY Scatter points over time)
I have not used charts very often and am not sure how to capture the data mentioned below properly within a chart/graph. Currently I have a graph (XY scatter point), which plots 2 percentages (ability to plan vs ability to deliver) against each other. So the data points are plotted for about 17 series (E1, E2, etc for simplicity) which places them in the graph in the 4 possible quadrants in the graph. This is performed monthly. This works fine. The new requirement is to show trending of these intersected dots. So they want to see the trend of where these intersection points occur over ti...

Timeline chart in Access
Hi- Most people who want timelines use Microsoft Project. However, some people here find it difficult to use Project and they also don't think the timelines in Project come out looking "pretty". They want to use Access so that they can use the user-friendly forms to update and change data, and so they can manipulate the visual appeal of the report. If I have a listing of rigs and start dates/end dates of when they are online, is it possible to get a timeline graph like I would see in Project? We have switched to 2007, but have old versions of 2003 if needed. There is ...

Remove grid lines as default
Hi, I hate to ask again, but I had this all set up with by default - no Grid lines, but after a crash, well I have even lost the email with the info. Would someone please help out again and tell me how to remove grid lines as default, ie no grid lines in new spreadsheets. Many thanks David dcterrill@(REMOVE)bigpond.com You can create a new default template, with your preferred settings: 1. Open a new workbook. 2. Select all the sheets, and choose Tools>Options 3. On the View tab, remove the check mark for Gridlines, click OK 4. Ungroup the sheets 5. Choose Save As 6. From the Save As T...

How can I make an Excel time series chart?
My data is like this: PersonID Date TimeIn TimeOut 1 1/1/2008 03:18 05:18 2 1/1/2008 11:19 14:21 3 1/3/2008 09:27 15:29 I would like to make a chart that shows how many people were present for each hour of the day (1 to 24) Thanks MA MA, Arrange a table in the following manner: Time In Time Out 8:00 9:00 10:00 11:00 7:15 10:19 1 1 1 0 5:02 9:26 1 1 0 0 8:35 12:00 0 1 1 1 Sums 2 3 2 1 Put time marks (hours) into the head row. Put Excel functions like =If(And(C$4>$A5,C$4<$B5),1,0) by proper c...

Is there a way to offset the y-axis of a chart without having the.
I'm making a xy scatter graph for my boss. She wants me to offset the y-axis to the right a little, but does not want anything to the left of it. Is there a way to do this in Excel? Do you want to make the Plot Area narrower? Select the plot area and drag the little black handles. Or do you want the minimum of the X axis to be larger, a positive number instead of zero? Double click on the X axis, click on the Scale tab, and choose appropriate parameters. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.co...

Blank Series in Charts
I want to create a chart with 25 different seies'. The problem is that some of the series will be blank sometime. But I d not want to include all of the series' all of the time. The data will be present at all times. I have worked out how to make excel ignore the data for the series. Th problem is that I end up with 25 series in my legend when only 4-5 ma be on the graph. Can anyone help me with this? Many thanks in advanc -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Create a chart from all the data Select the data on which the chart is based. Choose Data>Filter>AutoF...

Subtotal To Include Item Description On Subtotal Line
I am using the subtotal feature on data listed below. I have requested a subtotal of item qty at every change in the item number. The subtotal line will return the item number and the subtotaled qty. This is good. However, I wold also like the item description to be included on the subtotal line. How do I accomplish this? Item Number Item Description Item Qty RM Red Mug 100 RM Red Mug 25 RM-2 Red Dot Mug 49 RM-2 Red Dot Mug 2 -- Tickfarmer Data|Subt...

How to include minor tick labels on logarithmic axes in charts
When I make a chart with a logarithmic axis (a xy chart with the y axis logarithmic) I cannot get the minor tick labels plotted on the logarithmic axis (I can get the minor grid lines). Is there a way to solve this? XL's handling of a log scale is rather limited. You may be better off simulating one. See Flexible Log Scale http://www.tushar- mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/flexible_log_scale/index.html -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <6EBFB1D9-35E2-4AAD-AF63-54A856F9F68B@...

Axis labels from data
Col A has years, such as 1990 thru 2003. Col B has numbers relevant to each year. Sales, taxes, inventory, whatever. I want a simple bar chart where the numbers are represented by the bars left to right. Easy. I want the categoty (X) axis label values to be 1990, 1001, etc instead of 1,2,3,... Not easy, or at least not obvious. Any ideas on how to do this? It seems like it should be built-in simple, but I've searched everywhere (except where the explanation is) to no result. Excel 2K Win 98 as well as Excel 2002 Win 2K. Thanks. Sorry, I kept looking after I posted and found it. It i...

How Do I Add Multiple Lines On Secondary Axis in Excel Chart?
I have an Excel chart that is a Line-Column on Two Axis. The primary axis shows columns. I am able to add the secondary axis, a line to the chart. My question is: can I add multiple lines to the secondary axis? It's easier not to start with one of the built-in custom types. They are less flexible than you'd expect. Make the chart using all columns or all lines. Select a series you want to change to the other type, then use Chart menu > Chart Type to change it. Select another series to change, and press the F4 function key to repeat the previous action. Repeat as necessary...

Omitting zero values on pie charts
Hi, How to make excel omitt zero values instead of displaying 2 or mor zero values in one place on pie chart when some of values in sourc data range (dynamic) will become zero? (Sorry if this question was here already - I couldn`t find answer usin Search button :-/ ) Jaca -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi see http://andypope.info/charts/piezeros.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hi, > > How to make excel omitt zero values instead of displaying 2 or more > zero values in one place on pie chart when some of values in source > data range (...

Changing an axis to show time with hour intervals
I am trying to create a chart from a spreadsheet of data that has 3 years and all 12 months. Each month has different days and different times where data was pulled. What I want to do is create a chart with all the months in the data and have the axis showing time intervals of an hour each starting from 12:00am-12:00am with the hours in between 12:00am, 1:00am, etc). Can anyone help me? I have tried using the scale under the format axis tab but can't figure out how to show time in intervals. Thanks. If your combined date and time is in A2, use =MOD(A2,1) to get just the time, and ...

Integration Manager 10 Error: Distribution amount on line 1 is zer
Hello, I am trying to copy sales transactions from a text file into GP. When I do this, I receive 3 separate errors staing "Distribution amount on line 1 is zero." I notice in my source file that three separate transactions have a Rate and Total Revenue value of zero, so I know the error is coming from these three lines. Is it possible to include these transactions with a rate/total revenue of zero so they will integrate and show up on the invoice for the customer as transactions that are not charged to the customer? Perhaps this is a change that must be made on the GP si...