Search form without allowing edits, deletions or additions

I have a form which has a search combo box attached.

I would like this form to be searched only, with no amendments,deletions,
additions or otherwise. If I set 'Allow Edits', 'Allow Deletions', 'Allow
Additions' and 'Data Entry' to "No" then the combo search does not work. If
I 'Allow Edits' it does but then users can adjust the records.

Is it possible to allow this search to take place without the possibility of
any amendment being made?

Sandy

0
Sandy
12/4/2007 8:28:51 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Define "doesn't work," does it give an error message or just not search?

Is the control source of your search combobox set to one of the fields of
the table underlaying your form?

"Sandy" wrote:

> I have a form which has a search combo box attached.
>
> I would like this form to be searched only, with no amendments,deletions,
> additions or otherwise. If I set 'Allow Edits', 'Allow Deletions', 'Allow
> Additions' and 'Data Entry' to "No" then the combo search does not work. If
> I 'Allow Edits' it does but then users can adjust the records.
>
> Is it possible to allow this search to take place without the possibility of
> any amendment being made?
>
> Sandy

Hi Lance

I can select in the combo but the form does nothing.

The combo was created by the wizard and is created from
'qry_Contact_Details' and the RowSource is as follows :-

SELECT qry_Contact_Details.JobID, qry_Contact_Details.LastName,
qry_Contact_Details.FirstName FROM qry_Contact_Details;

There is also a subform.

It crossed my mind that really what I am after is read-only, but how would I
do that?

Sandy

"Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Define "doesn't work," does it give an error message or just not search?
>
> Is the control source of your search combobox set to one of the fields of
> the table underlaying your form?
>
> "Sandy" wrote:
>
>> I have a form which has a search combo box attached.
>>
>> I would like this form to be searched only, with no amendments,deletions,
>> additions or otherwise. If I set 'Allow Edits', 'Allow Deletions', 'Allow
>> Additions' and 'Data Entry' to "No" then the combo search does not work.
>> If
>> I 'Allow Edits' it does but then users can adjust the records.
>>
>> Is it possible to allow this search to take place without the possibility
>> of
>> any amendment being made?
>>
>> Sandy

0
Sandy
12/4/2007 9:26:57 PM
"Sandy" <sandy_stephenDELETE@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I would like this form to be searched only, with no amendments,deletions,
>additions or otherwise. If I set 'Allow Edits', 'Allow Deletions', 'Allow
>Additions' and 'Data Entry' to "No" then the combo search does not work. If
>I 'Allow Edits' it does but then users can adjust the records.

You have to allow edits to search.    However you then select all your
bound controls and change the Enabled property to No and Locked to
Yes.  I do this as a matter of course on many of my view only forms.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

"Sandy" wrote:

> Hi Lance
>
> I can select in the combo but the form does nothing.
>
> The combo was created by the wizard and is created from
> 'qry_Contact_Details' and the RowSource is as follows :-
>
> SELECT qry_Contact_Details.JobID, qry_Contact_Details.LastName,
> qry_Contact_Details.FirstName FROM qry_Contact_Details;
>
> There is also a subform.
>
> It crossed my mind that really what I am after is read-only, but how would I
> do that?
>
> Sandy
>

> "Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Define "doesn't work," does it give an error message or just not search?
> >
> > Is the control source of your search combobox set to one of the fields of
> > the table underlaying your form?
> >
> > "Sandy" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a form which has a search combo box attached.
> >>
> >> I would like this form to be searched only, with no amendments,deletions,
> >> additions or otherwise. If I set 'Allow Edits', 'Allow Deletions', 'Allow
> >> Additions' and 'Data Entry' to "No" then the combo search does not work.
> >> If
> >> I 'Allow Edits' it does but then users can adjust the records.
> >>
> >> Is it possible to allow this search to take place without the possibility
> >> of
> >> any amendment being made?
> >>
> >> Sandy

So simple its brilliant Tony, I guess that's what makes you guys MVP's
<smile>.
Thank you.
Sandy

"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> "Sandy" <sandy_stephenDELETE@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I would like this form to be searched only, with no amendments,deletions,
>>additions or otherwise. If I set 'Allow Edits', 'Allow Deletions', 'Allow
>>Additions' and 'Data Entry' to "No" then the combo search does not work.
>>If
>>I 'Allow Edits' it does but then users can adjust the records.
>
> You have to allow edits to search.    However you then select all your
> bound controls and change the Enabled property to No and Locked to
> Yes.  I do this as a matter of course on many of my view only forms.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>   Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>   Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>   Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

0
Sandy
12/4/2007 9:44:01 PM
On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:28:51 -0000, "Sandy" <sandy_stephenDELETE@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I have a form which has a search combo box attached.
>
>I would like this form to be searched only, with no amendments,deletions,
>additions or otherwise. If I set 'Allow Edits', 'Allow Deletions', 'Allow
>Additions' and 'Data Entry' to "No" then the combo search does not work. If
>I 'Allow Edits' it does but then users can adjust the records.
>
>Is it possible to allow this search to take place without the possibility of
>any amendment being made?
>
>Sandy

A couple of ways. One would be to base it on a query which is not updateable
(this is easily done by including the Primary Key field and setting the
query's Unique Values property to Yes); another would be to cancel any updates
in the Form's BeforeUpdate event:

Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel as Integer)
Me.Undo
End Sub

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
12/4/2007 9:44:25 PM
Unbound, but you are right a nice method from Tony

Thanks Lance

>I was just wondering if your combobox was bound.. but tony seems to have a
> better direction to look at than I do.
>

> "Sandy" wrote:
>
>> Hi Lance
>>
>> I can select in the combo but the form does nothing.
>>
>> The combo was created by the wizard and is created from
>> 'qry_Contact_Details' and the RowSource is as follows :-
>>
>> SELECT qry_Contact_Details.JobID, qry_Contact_Details.LastName,
>> qry_Contact_Details.FirstName FROM qry_Contact_Details;
>>
>> There is also a subform.
>>
>> It crossed my mind that really what I am after is read-only, but how
>> would I
>> do that?
>>
>> Sandy
>>

>> "Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Define "doesn't work," does it give an error message or just not
>> > search?
>> >
>> > Is the control source of your search combobox set to one of the fields
>> > of
>> > the table underlaying your form?

0
Sandy
12/4/2007 9:49:22 PM
A couple of good options too. Many thanks

Sandy

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:28:51 -0000, "Sandy"
> <sandy_stephenDELETE@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a form which has a search combo box attached.
>>
>>I would like this form to be searched only, with no amendments,deletions,
>>additions or otherwise. If I set 'Allow Edits', 'Allow Deletions', 'Allow
>>Additions' and 'Data Entry' to "No" then the combo search does not work.
>>If
>>I 'Allow Edits' it does but then users can adjust the records.
>>
>>Is it possible to allow this search to take place without the possibility
>>of
>>any amendment being made?
>>
>>Sandy
>>

> A couple of ways. One would be to base it on a query which is not
> updateable
> (this is easily done by including the Primary Key field and setting the
> query's Unique Values property to Yes); another would be to cancel any
> updates
> in the Form's BeforeUpdate event:
>
> Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel as Integer)
> Me.Undo
> End Sub
>
>             John W. Vinson [MVP]

0
Sandy
12/4/2007 9:50:31 PM
ttrerrrtetr
"Sandy" <sandy_stephenDELETE@hotmail.com> д���ʼ�
> Unbound, but you are right a nice method from Tony
>
> Thanks Lance
>
> Sandy
>

> "Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was just wondering if your combobox was bound.. but tony seems to have
> > better direction to look at than I do.
> >

> > "Sandy" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Lance
> >>
> >> I can select in the combo but the form does nothing.
> >>
> >> The combo was created by the wizard and is created from
> >> 'qry_Contact_Details' and the RowSource is as follows :-
> >>
> >> SELECT qry_Contact_Details.JobID, qry_Contact_Details.LastName,
> >> qry_Contact_Details.FirstName FROM qry_Contact_Details;
> >>
> >> There is also a subform.
> >>
> >> It crossed my mind that really what I am after is read-only, but how
> >> would I
> >> do that?
> >>
> >> Sandy
> >>

> >> "Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

how do you get the form (subform) to accept edits if you open it using the
before_update method?

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:28:51 -0000, "Sandy" <sandy_stephenDELETE@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have a form which has a search combo box attached.
> >
> >I would like this form to be searched only, with no amendments,deletions,
> >additions or otherwise. If I set 'Allow Edits', 'Allow Deletions', 'Allow
> >Additions' and 'Data Entry' to "No" then the combo search does not work. If
> >I 'Allow Edits' it does but then users can adjust the records.
> >
> >Is it possible to allow this search to take place without the possibility of
> >any amendment being made?
> >
> >Sandy
> >

> A couple of ways. One would be to base it on a query which is not updateable
> (this is easily done by including the Primary Key field and setting the
> query's Unique Values property to Yes); another would be to cancel any updates
> in the Form's BeforeUpdate event:
>
> Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel as Integer)
> Me.Undo
> End Sub
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]

Delete messages on server
I use POP3-mail, and I have chosen to just download a copy of the messages and deleting them from the server when I empty the deleted messages folder. It usually works, but I had a folder in my personal folder with over 1000 messages and I deleted that, and emptied my deleted messages folder. My problem is: They're still on the server! There must be some way of making Outlook delete this messages on the server, because it does not download a copy of these messages anymore. I really don't want to start deleting them manually from the server (over a 1000 messages...) Ho...

Continuous Form Auto Fill In
I am using Access 2003. I have a continuous form that has three fields. One field is the date, and the other two fields are drop down Combo boxes that have a table as their source. The first field is names and the second field is tasks/jobs. There are fifteen people in the table that is the source of the first combo box (call it Lname). The combo box input is limited to the data in the table. Every day, the same 15 people get a task, the task may change on any given day. Right now, I have to go down the list and enter a different name into "Lname" 15 times. Wh...

Using a combo box to determine which field to search.
What I want to do, hopefully, will be simple enough. I want to have a search form that has two fields, one a combo box and the other an unbound field. I want the combo box to list the different fields within a table that I want to search. I want the unbound field to be where I enter the criteria for searching the field that I selected in the combo box. In the past I usually just created an unbound form and created unbound fields for each field and then call the fields to the query. This has always worked well enough but thought It would be easier using 2 fields as opposed to many. ...

Additional Attachments on E-mail mailshots
I have prepared an e-mail mailshot on Publisher, but when mailed to some e-mail addresses (eg Hotmail) it appears with all of the images, backgrounds etc as attachments (25 at the last count). I've eliminated a few of these by using the Design Checker feature. Anyone any ideas as to how I avoid the rest. I don't think my customers will be too pleased with loads of attachments. Send the publication as a PDF. There are free converters around. www.primopdf.com has been mentioned here often. If you have 2007 Microsoft has a save as PDF converter: https://www.microsoft.com/downloads...

I accidentally deleted IE 8 or Parts of It
Help. I tried to reinstall IE 8 on Windows 7 but can't. I have no ICONS or references to IE 8 in the program list or in the add remove program screen. What can I do to reinstall IE 8 -- Thank you all for the great support. Bob Wethersfield, Ct. Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operating system. You can't re-install only part of an operating system; that's why you can't re-install Internet Explorer. It would be helpful if you could explain (or even take a guess) at what might have caused you to lose access to Internet Explorer. Otherwise, all we can...

protected form
Is there a way to only save a protected form & not the background data? In Excel, page 1 is the form w/drop downs, page 2 is the drop downs listed. If you save the entire document it is 1 gig. We only need to save the 1st page to forward to numerous people. Tks! Start a new workbook (with a single sheet). Edit|Copy the cells in the protected form edit|Paste special|values in the new workbook/worksheet Save that new workbook and email it out. Debbie wrote: > > Is there a way to only save a protected form & not the background data? In > Excel, page 1 is the form w/...

Normalization/Recordsets on Continuous Sub-Form
Hi All, I am building a Workload Forecasting system. It is similar to a monthly Time Card except, instead of caring about what they did last month, I care about what they think they'll be doing within the next 12 rolling months. It is currently semi-working with a Bound form, but I need to normalize it and save/read with recordsets. You guys helped me with normalizing / Recordsets before, but that was on a sub-form that was a Single Form. I just queried the Recordset, and iterated through and said this piece of data goes into this box. But now I am using a sub-form that is Continuous. I...

Additional column formula in pivot table
I am a relative newbie to pivot tables. Using Excel 2003 I have, for example, 8 columns of quarterly financial data. I would like to add a 9th column to calculate the CAGR for the 8 quarters. Can that be done within the pivot table? ...

Form navigation is screwing up my records
Hi, I've created a database to manage the results of a very lengthy questionnaire. Due to size constraints, I have five tables that hold my data. Each field in each table has a corresponding control in one of five corresponding forms. The idea is for the user to be able to begin on form1 (frmB101) and navigate through the other four forms. At the end, she should be able to go back to form1 and start entering data from another participant. I've put command buttons on each form to close the current form and open the next form. On load, the previous form will pass the subject ID n...

Forms in Public Folders
Is there a utility that can display all of the forms located in or applied to Public Folders? Thanks, Stan Cooper stan.cooper@kone.com ...

Printing a form from excel
Can anyone help with this please, I have a form set up with everything working in the various fields. But I want to print out numerous pages with the value of a single cell increasing by one on each sheet printed. can anyone give me the formula to do this as I am in over my head now. Thanks hopefully. How about a macro? Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myCell As Range Dim wks As Worksheet Dim iCtr As Long Set wks = Worksheets("sheet1") With wks Set myCell = .Range("a1") 'whatever cell you need If IsNumeric(myCe...

date query without year
I have a series of dates spanning several years and I'd like my where clause to limit the dates between Nov 1 and Apr 30 regardless of year. Is there a way to do it without writing multiple where clauses? You can use a where clause like: WHERE Month([YourDateField]) Not Between 5 and 10 -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Ian" wrote: > I have a series of dates spanning several years and I'd like my where clause > to limit the dates between Nov 1 and Apr 30 regardless of year. Is there a > way to do it without writing multiple where clauses?...

Excel Footer will not delete permanently
Excel 2000 insists on retaining an unwanted footer in the left footer window, even after being deleted and/or replaced. The unwanted footer is popped in automatically when the Print Menu or the Print Preview function is invoked. I've deleted all macros, Custom Views, and the Report Manager, to no avail. It appears to be popping in the unwanted footer from the MRU List in the footer window. 1) How do I eliminate this nuisance? 2) How do I delete the Footer MRU list? Thank you. ...

Distribution form for Payables could be on main form
When I enter a payable transaction, it would be very handy to have the distribution form at he bottom of the screen just like the Miscellaneous Check in GP 9.0 Instead I need to go to the distribution screen, even if I only want to confirm that the accounts are correct. Many times I also want to put a memo on a distribution line. Along with this it would be handy to be able to set the default as to whether the extra lines on the distribution form are open or closed. I always have to open them to see the account discription and enter a memo. I did put this all on a macro key so I can g...

table or form creation
I have tried for hours to get this work and I cannot. I need to do this. I have a list of items I sell for our charity group. I have various items and various sizes. e.g. Short sleeve t-shirts, long sleeve t shirts, hoody's etc., size small, medium, large, xlarge, xxlarge for $10 each. I want to put a name with the order, then add a cost per item, then total all the items purchsed. I want the final form to look like this. name item cost per item total # of items total cost In the end i want the report to say John Smith 1 XLarge and 1 medium SSleeve tee shirt $20.00 and ...

Should we Allow Automatic Forwards?
We have several users who want to be able to set their Outlook to forward their email out to an external account or to pagers, etc. We currently do not "Allow Automatic Forward" of email on the Global ESM settings. What is the consensus on doing this? It would appear to be a possible future relay problem. I am hesitant to turn this feature on until I know more about it. Any input is appreciated. Thanks, Fred IMO I would have to look and evaluate the business need to do so. Next I would evaluate the security as I'm sure there must be confidential and sensitive informat...

HELP! HTML Emails with mailto: forms in send data as an attachment!!
Hi, I am a developer and I have a windows service which uses a database to send emails. The emails are in HTML format. Some of them have <FORM action="mailto:[an email address]" enctype="text/plain"> in, so that data input into the emails form can be emailed to a specific person. This works fine with Outlook Express in that when the address in the action="" of the form gets an email, they see the forms data in plain text, (as they should). HOWEVER! If someone with Outlook (2002) fills out the form and sends it the recieved email has the form data as an a...

Trying to Edit Graph Title Causes Excel to Crash
I am at my wits end... all of a sudden when I try to edit the graph title in Excel 07 it crashes 100% of time. I was able to edit them two days ago... very frustrated. I thought that it might have been corrupt files, but Excel is acting the same on the files I was working on just two days ago and other files that haven't been worked on in months. I am running Excel 2007 (12.0.6331.5000) SP1 (12.0.6320.5000) on XP Pro (SP3). I have run the repair process twice without any change. Does anyone out there have any ideas how to fix this problem? -- MJ Hi, To determine if the prob...

Searching for a Customer PO
We have been doing this via Smart List and View Sales Transactions, but it takes a really long time to load all of the transactions... When a customer calls looking for status on a particular PO, what is the fastest way I can find their information? Hi, You might want to check out Xcelerator™ for SmartList from www.datapresentation.com. Jeanne "Christine213" wrote: > We have been doing this via Smart List and View Sales Transactions, but it > takes a really long time to load all of the transactions... > When a customer calls looking for status on a particular PO, w...

printing e-mails without the addresses....
I need to know how i can print off the e-mails i want without all the addresses...i have tried several ways and none work...I use to use incredia mail before switching to this and it worked then...i would like to stay with the windows mail so please help solve this problem.... You can select all the messages you wish to print and then go to Message | Combine and decode and then you can print the result. Alternatively, you can save the message to the Desktop as an eml file and then rename it to give it an mht file extension and then the will open in IE and you can print that. ...

deleting empty spaces
Hi, I have the following problem: I have filtered my worksheet for dubble values and now I have all these empty cells. For quick lookup I do not want that so how can I delete all these empty cell and write my unique values under each other? Thanks Michiel -- vrijbergen ------------------------------------------------------------------------ vrijbergen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27757 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=472802 Hi Michiel, Not sure what you mean. If you have column headers and blank cel...

Outlook 2003: Stuck Message Followup Folder can't be deleted
Hi all, I have a message in my follow up folder that I can't delete. It's a message from with a virus warning that was removed by the mail server (I think - I can't open the message). It's old - it's been there since september. The message shows as unread, but it's not in any other folder. And of course I can't delete it. When I try I get: The item could not be deleted. It was either moved, or already deleted or access was denied. The message won't archive either... How do I get rid of this message? +++ Rick --- -- Rick Strahl West Wind Technologies htt...

Copying Forms From One Database to Another and Back Changes Them
Simplified Version: Access 2007 Create a table with an automumber ID Primary Key and three text fields: Field1, Field2, Field3 Add a few records to the table. Use the wizard to create a datasheet form (call it form1) based on the table. In the Form_Current event put: Private Sub Form_Current() MsgBox "Field1: " & Me.Field1 & ", Field2: " & Me.Field2 & ", Field3: " & Me.Field3 End Sub When you open the form you get the message box for the first record and if you click on another record you get the message box for ...

n/g for Windows 7 - my search doesnt find one
n/g for Windows 7 - my search doesnt find one apart from one French - is there an English out there that I missed!? Charlie+ Pick one or two: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/search?group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&q=win7+OR+%22windows+7%22+%2B+newsgroup Charlie+ wrote: > n/g for Windows 7 - my search doesnt find one apart from one French - is > there an English out there that I missed!? Charlie+ On 12/05/2010 08:48, Charlie+ wrote: > n/g for Windows 7 - my search doesnt find one apart from one French - is > there an Eng...

How do I remove old CRM Sales for OUtlook without installation med
I am attempting to install the 3.0 CRM Sales for Outlook client but the old install is preventing me from doing so. Does anyone know of a way to workaround the uninstall if you are without the original media? You can manually uninstall it, but typically the install media is not required to do this. To manually uninstall, you can delete the assocaited directory and then remove the registry entiries. You will also need to uninstall the MSDE instance that was installed. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Norman Mendoza" <Norman Mendoza@discussions.microsoft.com> w...