Search box within access or third party addon to do such?

I have an access database with 6 columns.  I am putting in an
inventory of all of my items with their corresponding sizes and
weights, etc.  I will have over 2000 lines/records when I am done.
What I want to do, is either create something withing Access, or find
a third party add0on, that will allow me to search within the fields,
and return the corresponding results
here is what I have for example

category   style     size     width     weight     notes
sample     1abc      5         2.2        2.1
sample     1add      3         2.5        2.1          for turning
stock        3bbb      3         2.6        2.2          for acess
sample     1off        12       4.4        12.5

what I want, is to be able to create a form or a GUI or something that
will allow me to search within this database.  For example I want a
box that says category = and I would type in Sample and it would give
me all of the styles that fit in that category.    If Im not
explaining myself correctly, please let me know I can send a
screenshot of my database, and a picture I drew of what Im looking for

0
Ratedr
4/12/2007 2:03:18 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

If you want to just search on one field at a time, see:
    Find as you type - Filter forms with each keystroke
at:
    http://allenbrowne.com/AppFindAsUType.html
This one is very easy to implement.

If you want to create a search form that lets you search on any combination
of fields, including ranges, and ignoring any boxes the user leaves blank,
see:
    Search form - Handle many optional criteria
at:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html

"Ratedr" <raskinscott@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an access database with 6 columns.  I am putting in an
> inventory of all of my items with their corresponding sizes and
> weights, etc.  I will have over 2000 lines/records when I am done.
> What I want to do, is either create something withing Access, or find
> a third party add0on, that will allow me to search within the fields,
> and return the corresponding results
> here is what I have for example
>
> category   style     size     width     weight     notes
> sample     1abc      5         2.2        2.1
> sample     1add      3         2.5        2.1          for turning
> stock        3bbb      3         2.6        2.2          for acess
> sample     1off        12       4.4        12.5
>
> what I want, is to be able to create a form or a GUI or something that
> will allow me to search within this database.  For example I want a
> box that says category = and I would type in Sample and it would give
> me all of the styles that fit in that category.    If Im not
> explaining myself correctly, please let me know I can send a
> screenshot of my database, and a picture I drew of what Im looking for

0
Allen
4/12/2007 3:36:41 PM
"Ratedr" <raskinscott@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an access database with 6 columns.  I am putting in an
> inventory of all of my items with their corresponding sizes and
> weights, etc.  I will have over 2000 lines/records when I am done.
> What I want to do, is either create something withing Access, or find
> a third party add0on, that will allow me to search within the fields,
> and return the corresponding results
> here is what I have for example
>
> category   style     size     width     weight     notes
> sample     1abc      5         2.2        2.1
> sample     1add      3         2.5        2.1          for turning
> stock        3bbb      3         2.6        2.2          for acess
> sample     1off        12       4.4        12.5
>
> what I want, is to be able to create a form or a GUI or something that
> will allow me to search within this database.  For example I want a
> box that says category = and I would type in Sample and it would give
> me all of the styles that fit in that category.    If Im not
> explaining myself correctly, please let me know I can send a
> screenshot of my database, and a picture I drew of what Im looking for

0
i_takeuti

Access keeps stalling and restarting
Not sure why. Nothing has really changed, except I added some small things today. But it seems like it always happens after hitting the refresh button on a form. When I first start the database, I can press one or two times with no problem. After using the database a few minutes however, it seems that it is too much for the database to handle! I have not made any changes to the refresh function. Any idea what could be going on? thanks in advance! magmike ...

I am trying to import the XML schema at http://gdmxml.fugal.net/gdmxml.xsd into Access 2007. But I am getting strange results. Only 1 table (assertion) with a single column gets created. Can anyone point me to more info on importing XML into Access 2007? -- Dennis ...

Accessing Outlook through VPN client connection
I can access office network with DSL dial up VPN connection from work site and from home, but cannot access Microsoft Outlook through network connection at home. At work site, Outlook is accessed normally after establishing VPN dial up connection. At home, Outlook attempt renders error message saying Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable....Retry/Work offline. Thanks, Craig ...

Turning off Ribbons in Access 2007
I recently moved a rather large application from Access 2003 to Access 2007. I have user specific custom menus and toolbars in the database and need to shut off the 2007 ribbons as they are not needed. Is there an efficient way to do this through a startup macro or short snippit of startup code? -- Pete E Assuming you have converted the db to A2007, as far as I know, you must have at least one ribbon. You could build a custom ribbon with only one group/button on it, and show that, and also minimize it so that it doesn't take up much space. I am assuming that there is cod...

Download email from outlook web access
Hello, Is it in anyway possible to download email from outlook web access onto the local hard drive using outlook application or any other tool? I am not always connected to internet and need to be able to access the email in offline mode. I am currently able to access the emails only using the URL: https://exchange.xyz.com/exchange where xyz is the name of my org. i saw a few replied but they were too old - wondering if something new has come up to enable this? Thanks, G Hi, That is not possible. RPC over http is the answer (if you are running Exchange 2003), else a VPN connection. Le...

Drop Down Combo Box Help?
I have a drop down combo box on my form with names and whenever you choose a name in the list it displays record below (in the subform) for that chosen name based on a customer ID that links the combo box to the records in the subform below. However when i first open the form it displays one name but the records of another (this only happens when form is first opened). How can i make it so that the name in the drop down when the form opens also displays records below that belong to the first or default name in the combo box?? How are you accomplishing that link? If you have have the su...

convert Access 2000 file to Word 2002
Is there an easy way? An Access file CANNOT be converted to Word. You can export a report to Word. -- Lynn Trapp MS Access MVP www.ltcomputerdesigns.com Access Security: www.ltcomputerdesigns.com/Security.htm "Lee" <lpeavy@marlinengineering.com> wrote in message news:054b01c39351$0c6670a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there an easy way? ...

Duplicate information in different text boxes
I'm sure that this has been dealt with before, but, I couldn't find the information. I have a heading (text box) which is duplicated in 3 spots in our news letter. Every month, I have to update each one separately, not hard but surely there is a way to update one and the other 2 would be updated at the same time. Is this possible? Thanks, Wayne ...

Look up data from a table in a text box
Hello, I have a text box on a form and I would like data to be viewed from a table. In the properties of the text box on the control source I place =[Date Ran]![DT_TM_RAN]. I thought this would show the data in the DT_TM_RAN field in the text box. But when I open the form it shows #Name? Can someone please direct me in the right direction to fix this issue. Thanks for your time. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201003/1 I think the Dlookup function is what you want. Help on that function should tell you e...

Access migration from 2000 to 2007
Can some one give me the list of things I need to keep in mind while upgrading my database from 2000 to 2007. I have lot of tables, macros, code modules, reports in my database, (one database for each year from 2005 to 2009). What are the areas that I need to more cautious on. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201002/1 I mean where should I start from? open exisitng 2000 databse in ACCESS 2007 and fix as I found issues? mls wrote: >Can some one give me the list of things I need to keep in mind while >...

Help Searching WSS
Can someone point me to a link (or just tell me) how to use the search facilty against columns in a WSS document library. (We have the free version of sharepoint) The important question is; can you search a specific column? It works for Title in the form of "Title:Esimtate" but for other colums the syntax doesn't work. (e.g. "Status:Draft"). For my Status column how can I search it WITHOUT filtering? ------=_NextPart_0001_8A45AF72 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit If you're using WSS free version no you can't. In MOSS it ...

How to remove Windows Search mention in URL bar IE8?
I have Dutch system, will try to describe it good :-) Windows XP Home SP3 Dutch IE 8 latest version When I typ something in the URL bar, a message appears in the URL bar, saying "Download Windows Search to improve results for history and favorits". First of all I do not see any use for that ... and 2nd, the new Windows Search is a monster of a search thing. It's just a ridiculous kind of search thing. So, how can I get that message gone? I do not want Windows Search or make use of it in IE8. Thanx in advance Menno Open Internet Explorer (only) to http...

Opening Access Database
I have done a mail merge in word and all my data seems to be in stored as an Access database, but if I go to Access I can't open the database. It comes up with error 3343 - unrecognized database format. I am trying to print off a copy of my database. I have Works Suite 2002. Unfortunately I don't know which version of Access I have. I'm not terribly computer literate. How do I find out? Lowenda I don't believe Access is included in the Works Suite. You can check at www.microsoft.com -- Regards Jeff Boyce www.InformationFutures.net Microsoft Office/Access MVP...

inserting columns within certain rows only
I'm afraid that I know the answer to this but I thought I'd ask anyway ... Is it possible to insert columns for only a certain section of the spreadsheet, i.e., to affect only a certain range of rows? Over the years, I've created a spreadsheet with about 300 rows (and with a 6,000-line macro) and now realize that I need about 10 extra columns ... but only in a certain part of the spreadsheet (rows 100 to 150). If I insert columns, the ENTIRE spreadsheet (from row 1 to 65536) is going to be affected (and all of the address references in my macro will have to be redefined) an...

How do I stop the Commands from disappearing from Quick Access too
..Added commands to the quick access toolbar at work - next day they were gone Using Excel 2007. So, how do I stop the How do I stop the Commands, I added, from disappearing from Quick Access toolbar -- SherylAnne ...

about access Control List(ACL)
Hi! I just want to make sure that my understanding about ACL is correct Assume that you have a directory and a file. As I understand this a directory or file can only be connected to one ACL but you can have many Access Control Entries in this ACL. //Tony On 19-04-2010 12:33, Tony Johansson wrote: > I just want to make sure that my understanding about ACL is correct > Assume that you have a directory and a file. > As I understand this a directory or file can only be connected to one ACL > but you can have many Access Control Entries in this ACL. As I read:...

BACS reports and listings and comment box
Please could we have the BACS status report and the comment box back on the Print cheques function? The BACS status report was used by many clients as a verification and printed for signature of confirmation that the BACS file was accurate and approved. As there is no other approval on this process and the text file is not encrypted in any way this provided a useful back-up. The comments box on the Cheque Printing window was used to enter a comment referring to when the payment would clear the payees bank account. There is now no feature for being able to include this text as part of...

Adding Select Box
I want to add select boxes to the forms in CRM 3.0. An example of select box can be seen from http://www.mattkruse.com/javascript/dynamicoptionlist/ (Example 3) Yes js code of selectbox is already in this website. But how can I add this js code to my CRM. I try to add it to the OnLoad() function. But I can not create select boxes. I want to know that is it possible to add other attributes rather than picklist or text boxes to my forms. Thanks, M.Ergin SEYFE Your best approach would be to create these in a new web page which you can embed in an iframe. You are not going to be able to a...

Transferring email addresses from Access to Outlook address book
Is there a way of transferring a list of email addresses with their contact names from an Access Database Table to my Outlook? ...

Message box with multiple buttons
Im trying to create a message box that has the message "Do you want t print?" with buttons "Yes" and "No". When yes is selected the prin macro is activated. When no is selceted the macro stops and goes bac to the work sheet. Can anyone help me? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Code ------------------- If MsgBox("DO YOU WANT TO PRINT?", vbYesNo, "PRINT") = vbYes Then 'Your code for print macro Else End End If ------------------- Rolli -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForu...

Search for duplicates in workbook
I have a large workbook with several sheets that are copies of each other, but with different data in each worksheet. Is there an easy way to search for duplicate records within one titled column over several wroksheets? Hi, See: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#TaggingDuplicates "cursednomore" wrote: > I have a large workbook with several sheets that are copies of each other, > but with different data in each worksheet. Is there an easy way to search for > duplicate records within one titled column over several wroksheets? Hi not an easy one. Would it be ...

Access 2000 IIF statement
Hello all, I am having problems trying to figure out how to write a statement that only shows a column if there is something in the column. Right now I get a bunch of blank records and then the one record with the stuff in it that I need. I have a report that works off a query. The query works off a table and has a field in it called "other_new_specify" and one with "other_pending_specify". What I want to do is have the field show up on the report only when there is something populating it those two fields. The following statement gives me errors Iif(IsNull(other_pendi...

InputBox within a query
I have multi records and I want a query where an input box asks for one column record. Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 data place port day plant box I want an input box for Column 1 so if I type day into the box all the data from Column 2 and Column 3 and Column 1 display in a query for me to use in a report and/or form In the criteria for Column1, just type something like: [Please Enter Parameter Value] and the query will prompt for the criteria for Column1 and will only return records that match what the user typed in. But i want to enter the...

Access to user files from recovery console ??
I recall there is some setting that must me bade to a default XP installation if I am going to be able to access anything but the system folders when running in recovery mode and it has to be set *before* i need it. Do I have that right? Can someone describe the setting? Thanks. -- Al Dykes News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising. - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail "Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message news:hes6ei$g0j$1@panix5.panix.com... > > I recall there is some s...

Search and replace formula?
Hi, I have a selection of data in this typical format: f$\Data\Sharedf$\data1\Campaigns\BTCAT e$\Data\Sharedf$\data5\Campaigns\BT EMail j$\Data\Sharedj$\Business h$\Data\Citrixf$\c1111111 f$\Data\Citrixf$\C222222 I want to be able to replace all instances where a letter is followe by a '$' sign to a constant different letter for example 'e$'. *f$*\Data\Shared*f$*\data1\Campaigns\BTCAT Is there a formula I can use that can search and replace to give me th correct output? Thanks Fran -- fastfran ----------------------------------------------------------------------- fastf...