Running Access 2003 db in 2007, and a few forms don't work

I have a database that's been updated from at least Access 97 (maybe Access
2, I can't remember anymore) and has been running fine in Access 2003 for
years. My client upgraded to Vista with Office 2007. Almost everything in
the database works fine, except 3 forms. Each of these forms has a tab
control. Two of the forms have subforms on some of the tabs, one doesn't.
When I try to open the forms in Access 2007 running on Vista in Virtual PC,
I get the error "There isn't enough memory to perform this operation. Close
unneeded programs and try the operation again." I can't open the form in
design mode either. Same error. All the subforms open fine, and one of the
problem forms doesn't even have subforms.

I found a fix that I don't understand. If I open the problem forms in Access
2003 and use Save As to save them under a new name, they work fine in Access
2007, without any other changes. I used the Application.SaveAsText to
extract the complete form representation for both the working forms and the
problem forms. The only differences are the GUID's assigned to the controls.
Nothing else.

Saving a new copy of the form would be an ok fix, except for one problem. I
use SourceSafe to keep the version control. If I save the forms under a new
name, I lose the version history. I've found the version history very
helpful when a new problem appears, so I'm reluctant to throw it away. I've
thought of workarounds, like keep this history and start a new project for
an Access 2007 version. That would work, but I'd prefer to avoid the
complexity if possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Paul Shapiro

0
Paul
6/18/2007 11:45:30 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Paul, did you try a decompile?

Since each version of Access uses a different binary, and the binary is not
part of the text version, it would be the suspect here. My suggestion would
be to decompile in A2003, then compact (ensuring no code runs), and then
open in A2007 and compile. I don't use VSS, so I can't comment on that.

1. Using Access 2003, make sure the Name AutoCorrect boxes are unchecked
under:
    Tools | Options | General | Name AutoCorrect
Then compact.

2. Decompile a copy of the database by entering something like this at the
command prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include
the quotes:
    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"

3. Open Access 2003 (holding down the Shift key if you have any startup
code), and compact again.

Then open in Access 2007, compile, and compact again.

"Paul Shapiro" <paul@hideme.broadwayData.com> wrote in message
>I have a database that's been updated from at least Access 97 (maybe Access
>2, I can't remember anymore) and has been running fine in Access 2003 for
>years. My client upgraded to Vista with Office 2007. Almost everything in
>the database works fine, except 3 forms. Each of these forms has a tab
>control. Two of the forms have subforms on some of the tabs, one doesn't.
>When I try to open the forms in Access 2007 running on Vista in Virtual PC,
>I get the error "There isn't enough memory to perform this operation. Close
>unneeded programs and try the operation again." I can't open the form in
>design mode either. Same error. All the subforms open fine, and one of the
>problem forms doesn't even have subforms.
>
> I found a fix that I don't understand. If I open the problem forms in
> Access 2003 and use Save As to save them under a new name, they work fine
> in Access 2007, without any other changes. I used the
> Application.SaveAsText to extract the complete form representation for
> both the working forms and the problem forms. The only differences are the
> GUID's assigned to the controls. Nothing else.
>
> Saving a new copy of the form would be an ok fix, except for one problem.
> I use SourceSafe to keep the version control. If I save the forms under a
> new name, I lose the version history. I've found the version history very
> helpful when a new problem appears, so I'm reluctant to throw it away.
> I've thought of workarounds, like keep this history and start a new
> project for an Access 2007 version. That would work, but I'd prefer to
> avoid the complexity if possible. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks, Paul Shapiro

0
Allen
6/19/2007 2:20:31 AM
Starting a new project, would be the most effective way to handle your
SourceSafe version control. I use a table (appropriately named ChangeLog) in
each front-end database to record each change. I store the name of the
object, the type of change, a description of the change and a timestamp. The
description gives me far more information than I can get from SourceSafe.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Paul Shapiro" <paul@hideme.broadwayData.com> wrote in message
>I have a database that's been updated from at least Access 97 (maybe Access
>2, I can't remember anymore) and has been running fine in Access 2003 for
>years. My client upgraded to Vista with Office 2007. Almost everything in
>the database works fine, except 3 forms. Each of these forms has a tab
>control. Two of the forms have subforms on some of the tabs, one doesn't.
>When I try to open the forms in Access 2007 running on Vista in Virtual PC,
>I get the error "There isn't enough memory to perform this operation. Close
>unneeded programs and try the operation again." I can't open the form in
>design mode either. Same error. All the subforms open fine, and one of the
>problem forms doesn't even have subforms.
>
> I found a fix that I don't understand. If I open the problem forms in
> Access 2003 and use Save As to save them under a new name, they work fine
> in Access 2007, without any other changes. I used the
> Application.SaveAsText to extract the complete form representation for
> both the working forms and the problem forms. The only differences are the
> GUID's assigned to the controls. Nothing else.
>
> Saving a new copy of the form would be an ok fix, except for one problem.
> I use SourceSafe to keep the version control. If I save the forms under a
> new name, I lose the version history. I've found the version history very
> helpful when a new problem appears, so I'm reluctant to throw it away.
> I've thought of workarounds, like keep this history and start a new
> project for an Access 2007 version. That would work, but I'd prefer to
> avoid the complexity if possible. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks, Paul Shapiro

0
Arvin
6/19/2007 2:36:31 AM
Thanks Allen. I forgot to add that I tried decompiling a few times, but
Access crashes. I re-created the db from Sourcesafe, made a copy, compacted
to remove the source control info without letting any startup code run, and
still the decompile crashes.
Paul

> Paul, did you try a decompile?
>
> Since each version of Access uses a different binary, and the binary is
> not part of the text version, it would be the suspect here. My suggestion
> would be to decompile in A2003, then compact (ensuring no code runs), and
> then open in A2007 and compile. I don't use VSS, so I can't comment on
> that.
>
> 1. Using Access 2003, make sure the Name AutoCorrect boxes are unchecked
> under:
>    Tools | Options | General | Name AutoCorrect
> Then compact.
>
> 2. Decompile a copy of the database by entering something like this at the
> command prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and
> include the quotes:
>    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
>        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"
>
> 3. Open Access 2003 (holding down the Shift key if you have any startup
> code), and compact again.
>
> Then open in Access 2007, compile, and compact again.

> "Paul Shapiro" <paul@hideme.broadwayData.com> wrote in message
>>I have a database that's been updated from at least Access 97 (maybe
>>Access 2, I can't remember anymore) and has been running fine in Access
>>2003 for years. My client upgraded to Vista with Office 2007. Almost
>>everything in the database works fine, except 3 forms. Each of these forms
>>has a tab control. Two of the forms have subforms on some of the tabs, one
>>doesn't. When I try to open the forms in Access 2007 running on Vista in
>>Virtual PC, I get the error "There isn't enough memory to perform this
>>operation. Close unneeded programs and try the operation again." I can't
>>open the form in design mode either. Same error. All the subforms open
>>fine, and one of the problem forms doesn't even have subforms.
>>
>> I found a fix that I don't understand. If I open the problem forms in
>> Access 2003 and use Save As to save them under a new name, they work fine
>> in Access 2007, without any other changes. I used the
>> Application.SaveAsText to extract the complete form representation for
>> both the working forms and the problem forms. The only differences are
>> the GUID's assigned to the controls. Nothing else.
>>
>> Saving a new copy of the form would be an ok fix, except for one problem.
>> I use SourceSafe to keep the version control. If I save the forms under a
>> new name, I lose the version history. I've found the version history very
>> helpful when a new problem appears, so I'm reluctant to throw it away.
>> I've thought of workarounds, like keep this history and start a new
>> project for an Access 2007 version. That would work, but I'd prefer to
>> avoid the complexity if possible. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks, Paul Shapiro

0
Paul
6/19/2007 11:39:55 AM
I think you're right that starting a new project is probably the best I can
do. I use the SourceSafe checking comments to keep the change history you
describe. The one extra thing I like SourceSafe for is the ability to do a
Difference between any versions of an object. That shows every detail of the
changes. And SourceSafe is a convenient way to fix the occasional front-end
corruption. Just build a new copy from SourceSafe.
Paul

"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in message
> Starting a new project, would be the most effective way to handle your
> SourceSafe version control. I use a table (appropriately named ChangeLog)
> in each front-end database to record each change. I store the name of the
> object, the type of change, a description of the change and a timestamp.
> The description gives me far more information than I can get from
> SourceSafe.
> --
> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> http://www.datastrat.com
> http://www.mvps.org/access
> http://www.accessmvp.com
>
> "Paul Shapiro" <paul@hideme.broadwayData.com> wrote in message
>>I have a database that's been updated from at least Access 97 (maybe
>>Access 2, I can't remember anymore) and has been running fine in Access
>>2003 for years. My client upgraded to Vista with Office 2007. Almost
>>everything in the database works fine, except 3 forms. Each of these forms
>>has a tab control. Two of the forms have subforms on some of the tabs, one
>>doesn't. When I try to open the forms in Access 2007 running on Vista in
>>Virtual PC, I get the error "There isn't enough memory to perform this
>>operation. Close unneeded programs and try the operation again." I can't
>>open the form in design mode either. Same error. All the subforms open
>>fine, and one of the problem forms doesn't even have subforms.
>>
>> I found a fix that I don't understand. If I open the problem forms in
>> Access 2003 and use Save As to save them under a new name, they work fine
>> in Access 2007, without any other changes. I used the
>> Application.SaveAsText to extract the complete form representation for
>> both the working forms and the problem forms. The only differences are
>> the GUID's assigned to the controls. Nothing else.
>>
>> Saving a new copy of the form would be an ok fix, except for one problem.
>> I use SourceSafe to keep the version control. If I save the forms under a
>> new name, I lose the version history. I've found the version history very
>> helpful when a new problem appears, so I'm reluctant to throw it away.
>> I've thought of workarounds, like keep this history and start a new
>> project for an Access 2007 version. That would work, but I'd prefer to
>> avoid the complexity if possible. Any suggestions?

0
Paul
6/19/2007 11:42:43 AM
Ah: that's a fairly good indication that the problem may be in that area.

Copy the code from the bad forms out to notepad. Then set the form's HasData
property to No. Save. Compact the database. Try the decompile. If it works,
you can paste the code back in again.

> [...]
>>>
>>> I found a fix that I don't understand. If I open the problem forms in
>>> Access 2003 and use Save As to save them under a new name, they work
>>> fine in Access 2007, without any other changes. I used the
>>> Application.SaveAsText to extract the complete form representation for
>>> both the working forms and the problem forms. The only differences are
>>> the GUID's assigned to the controls. Nothing else.
>>>
>>> Saving a new copy of the form would be an ok fix, except for one
>>> problem. I use SourceSafe to keep the version control. If I save the
>>> forms under a new name, I lose the version history. I've found the
>>> version history very helpful when a new problem appears, so I'm
>>> reluctant to throw it away. I've thought of workarounds, like keep this
>>> history and start a new project for an Access 2007 version. That would
>>> work, but I'd prefer to avoid the complexity if possible. Any

0
Allen
6/19/2007 12:51:42 PM
Thank you Allen! Removing those 3 forms' modules let the decompile complete
successfully, so it seems like a great start. I have to run out now, so I'll
finish the code restoration and testing in A2007 later today.
THANK YOU.

> Ah: that's a fairly good indication that the problem may be in that area.
>
> Copy the code from the bad forms out to notepad. Then set the form's
> HasData property to No. Save. Compact the database. Try the decompile. If
> it works, you can paste the code back in again.

> "Paul Shapiro" <paul@hideme.broadwayData.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Allen. I forgot to add that I tried decompiling a few times, but
>> Access crashes. I re-created the db from Sourcesafe, made a copy,
>> compacted to remove the source control info without letting any startup
>> code run, and still the decompile crashes.
>> Paul
>>
>> "Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote in message
>>> Paul, did you try a decompile?
>>>
>>> Since each version of Access uses a different binary, and the binary is
>>> not part of the text version, it would be the suspect here. My
>>> suggestion would be to decompile in A2003, then compact (ensuring no
>>> code runs), and then open in A2007 and compile. I don't use VSS, so I
>>> can't comment on that.
>>>
>>> 1. Using Access 2003, make sure the Name AutoCorrect boxes are unchecked
>>> under:
>>>    Tools | Options | General | Name AutoCorrect
>>> Then compact.
>>>
>>> 2. Decompile a copy of the database by entering something like this at
>>> the command prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and
>>> include the quotes:
>>>    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
>>>        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"
>>>
>>> 3. Open Access 2003 (holding down the Shift key if you have any startup
>>> code), and compact again.
>>>
>>> Then open in Access 2007, compile, and compact again.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia
>>> Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
>>> Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.
>>>
>>> "Paul Shapiro" <paul@hideme.broadwayData.com> wrote in message

0
Paul
6/19/2007 3:10:03 PM
Thank you once again Allen. It works fine now. I opened each form, checking
it out of SourceSafe. I removed the code module, saved the form, re-created
the module and checked in the form. No more Access 2007 errors.

I didn't do the decompile on the SourceSafe copy of the database. I had done
that on another db copy, before the first test in Access 2007. Do you think
I need to decompile the SourceSafe version if everything seems to be working
correctly now?

> Thank you Allen! Removing those 3 forms' modules let the decompile
> complete successfully, so it seems like a great start. I have to run out
> now, so I'll finish the code restoration and testing in A2007 later today.
> THANK YOU.
>
> "Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote in message
>> Ah: that's a fairly good indication that the problem may be in that area.
>>
>> Copy the code from the bad forms out to notepad. Then set the form's
>> HasData property to No. Save. Compact the database. Try the decompile. If
>> it works, you can paste the code back in again.
>>
>> --
>> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia
>> Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
>> Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.
>> "Paul Shapiro" <paul@hideme.broadwayData.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks Allen. I forgot to add that I tried decompiling a few times, but
>>> Access crashes. I re-created the db from Sourcesafe, made a copy,
>>> compacted to remove the source control info without letting any startup
>>> code run, and still the decompile crashes.
>>> Paul
>>>
>>> "Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote in message

0
Paul
6/19/2007 7:04:14 PM
OK, I thought everything was clean, but it's not finished yet. I checked
everything out from SourceSafe. I removed the code modules from the 3
problematic forms that weren't opening in Access 2007 (out of memory error).
I decompiled the db, successfully, and then compacted/repaired. I re-created
the code modules for those 3 forms. I checked everything back into
SourceSafe.

At this point the db worked fine in Access 2007. Before distributing a db, I
like to create a new db from SourceSafe, so I did that. That db has the
original problem (out of memory error) with the same 3 forms. So it looks
like either checking objects into SourceSafe or generating objects from
SourceSafe is causing the problem.

Any more suggestions? Is this something that might be worth pursuing with
Microsoft Support? I get a free support incident via MSDN so it doesn't cost
money, I think.

> Thank you once again Allen. It works fine now. I opened each form,
> checking it out of SourceSafe. I removed the code module, saved the form,
> re-created the module and checked in the form. No more Access 2007 errors.
>
> I didn't do the decompile on the SourceSafe copy of the database. I had
> done that on another db copy, before the first test in Access 2007. Do you
> think I need to decompile the SourceSafe version if everything seems to be
> working correctly now?
>
> "Paul Shapiro" <paul@hideme.broadwayData.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you Allen! Removing those 3 forms' modules let the decompile
>> complete successfully, so it seems like a great start. I have to run out
>> now, so I'll finish the code restoration and testing in A2007 later
>> today.
>> THANK YOU.
>>
>> "Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote in message
>>> Ah: that's a fairly good indication that the problem may be in that
>>> area.
>>>
>>> Copy the code from the bad forms out to notepad. Then set the form's
>>> HasData property to No. Save. Compact the database. Try the decompile.
>>> If it works, you can paste the code back in again.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia
>>> Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
>>> Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.
>>> "Paul Shapiro" <paul@hideme.broadwayData.com> wrote in message

0
Paul
6/19/2007 9:58:10 PM
Paul, I don't use VSS, so can't really provide you with info on that.

Perhaps someone who uses it can comment.

> OK, I thought everything was clean, but it's not finished yet. I checked
> everything out from SourceSafe. I removed the code modules from the 3
> problematic forms that weren't opening in Access 2007 (out of memory
> error). I decompiled the db, successfully, and then compacted/repaired. I
> re-created the code modules for those 3 forms. I checked everything back
> into SourceSafe.
>
> At this point the db worked fine in Access 2007. Before distributing a db,
> I like to create a new db from SourceSafe, so I did that. That db has the
> original problem (out of memory error) with the same 3 forms. So it looks
> like either checking objects into SourceSafe or generating objects from
> SourceSafe is causing the problem.
>
> Any more suggestions? Is this something that might be worth pursuing with
> Microsoft Support? I get a free support incident via MSDN so it doesn't
> cost money, I think.

0
Allen
6/20/2007 9:26:07 AM
I wanted to post back in case anyone else is pursuing similar issues. This
is an issue with either checking a form into Visual SourceSafe or checking
it back out.

I had 3 out of 20 or so forms in an Access 2003 db that would not open in
Access 2007. All 3 were resolved by removing the hotkeys assigned to
controls and/or tab pages. One of them was a very simple form, based on a
single table with about 10 fields. All my forms have a find-a-row combo box
in the form header, with <Alt><F> assigned as the hotkey by setting the
label caption to "&Find:". Removing that ampersand fixed the problem. Some
of the other problem forms needed additional hotkeys removed. Every one of
my forms has the same setup. All but those 3 work fine with the hotkeys.

> Paul, I don't use VSS, so can't really provide you with info on that.
>
> Perhaps someone who uses it can comment.

> "Paul Shapiro" <paul@hideme.broadwayData.com> wrote in message
>> OK, I thought everything was clean, but it's not finished yet. I checked
>> everything out from SourceSafe. I removed the code modules from the 3
>> problematic forms that weren't opening in Access 2007 (out of memory
>> error). I decompiled the db, successfully, and then compacted/repaired. I
>> re-created the code modules for those 3 forms. I checked everything back
>> into SourceSafe.
>>
>> At this point the db worked fine in Access 2007. Before distributing a
>> db, I like to create a new db from SourceSafe, so I did that. That db has
>> the original problem (out of memory error) with the same 3 forms. So it
>> looks like either checking objects into SourceSafe or generating objects
>> from SourceSafe is causing the problem.
>>
>> Any more suggestions? Is this something that might be worth pursuing with
>> Microsoft Support? I get a free support incident via MSDN so it doesn't
>> cost money, I think.

0
Paul
6/22/2007 4:30:10 PM
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:30:10 -0400, "Paul Shapiro"
<paul@hideme.broadwayData.com> wrote:

> All 3 were resolved by removing the hotkeys assigned to
>controls and/or tab pages.

VERRY interesting. Thanks Paul, I'll try to remember this!

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
6/22/2007 5:21:59 PM
Thanks for posting the solution, Paul.

I never would have guessed VSS would barf over the hotkeys.
Hopefully that will help someone else in future as well.

>I wanted to post back in case anyone else is pursuing similar issues. This
>is an issue with either checking a form into Visual SourceSafe or checking
>it back out.
>
> I had 3 out of 20 or so forms in an Access 2003 db that would not open in
> Access 2007. All 3 were resolved by removing the hotkeys assigned to
> controls and/or tab pages. One of them was a very simple form, based on a
> single table with about 10 fields. All my forms have a find-a-row combo
> box in the form header, with <Alt><F> assigned as the hotkey by setting
> the label caption to "&Find:". Removing that ampersand fixed the problem.
> Some of the other problem forms needed additional hotkeys removed. Every
> one of my forms has the same setup. All but those 3 work fine with the
> hotkeys.

0
Allen

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

Reporting from Project Server

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

outlook 2007 e-mail

SBS 2003 RWW & Windows 7 64 bit

microsoft.public.access.conversion

Are Exchange 2003 OWA Backups necessary

Access to User Calendar

form fields not saving to table

Rule won't work
Outlook 2007 I have set up a rule to do the following; When I send or receive a message from a specific contact, play a sound, display in new item alert window, flag for follow up and move to a specific folder. But it is not doing anything. Do I need to change something else? What type of email account? Do other rules work? Does it work if you use any one action? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.out...