Rich Text & Sorting

I have a database that I need alphabetical and I want to color code some of
the names.

I have sorted the database alpahbetically and saved it with a new name.   To
sort it, I have to use Text format in my first and last name fields.   When I
have them listed as Rich Text it will not give me the option to sort when I
highlight either of those fields.

When I go in and change the name fields to Rich Text so that I can color
code them, my database reverts back to not being alphabetical.   What am I
missing or doing wrong?

Being able to color code fields is wonderful, so glad they finally gave us
that option.

Thanks!

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

The rich text format embeds formatting commands into the text which would
make sorting on such a column nonsensical.  If you must sort on the text
columns, you will need to maintain two versions of the data.

"MCain" <MCain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a database that I need alphabetical and I want to color code some of
> the names.
>
> I have sorted the database alpahbetically and saved it with a new name.
> sort it, I have to use Text format in my first and last name fields.
> When I
> have them listed as Rich Text it will not give me the option to sort when
> highlight either of those fields.
>
> When I go in and change the name fields to Rich Text so that I can color
> code them, my database reverts back to not being alphabetical.   What am I
> missing or doing wrong?
>
> Being able to color code fields is wonderful, so glad they finally gave us
> that option.
>
> Thanks!

0
Pat
2/5/2008 5:40:10 PM
I wouldn't need to sort again, if it would just keep the alphabetical sorting
and allow me to then change to Rich Text and color code names.

"Pat Hartman" wrote:

> The rich text format embeds formatting commands into the text which would
> make sorting on such a column nonsensical.  If you must sort on the text
> columns, you will need to maintain two versions of the data.
>
> "MCain" <MCain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a database that I need alphabetical and I want to color code some of
> > the names.
> >
> > I have sorted the database alpahbetically and saved it with a new name.
> > sort it, I have to use Text format in my first and last name fields.
> > When I
> > have them listed as Rich Text it will not give me the option to sort when
> > highlight either of those fields.
> >
> > When I go in and change the name fields to Rich Text so that I can color
> > code them, my database reverts back to not being alphabetical.   What am I
> > missing or doing wrong?
> >
> > Being able to color code fields is wonderful, so glad they finally gave us
> > that option.
> >
> > Thanks!

Relational tables work differently than flat files.  Records are not
returned in any particular order UNLESS they are retrieved by a query that
specifically sorts them.  That means that no physical order will be
preserved and even if the physical order is maintained, the order of rows
returned in a query can by definition vary.

>I wouldn't need to sort again, if it would just keep the alphabetical
>sorting
> and allow me to then change to Rich Text and color code names.
>

> "Pat Hartman" wrote:
>
>> The rich text format embeds formatting commands into the text which would
>> make sorting on such a column nonsensical.  If you must sort on the text
>> columns, you will need to maintain two versions of the data.
>>
>> "MCain" <MCain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a database that I need alphabetical and I want to color code some
>> >of
>> > the names.
>> >
>> > I have sorted the database alpahbetically and saved it with a new name.
>> > sort it, I have to use Text format in my first and last name fields.
>> > When I
>> > have them listed as Rich Text it will not give me the option to sort
>> > when
>> > highlight either of those fields.
>> >
>> > When I go in and change the name fields to Rich Text so that I can
>> > color
>> > code them, my database reverts back to not being alphabetical.   What
>> > am I
>> > missing or doing wrong?
>> >
>> > Being able to color code fields is wonderful, so glad they finally gave
>> > us
>> > that option.
>> >
>> > Thanks!

0
Pat
2/5/2008 7:26:14 PM
Saved it with a new name???????

If you use the sorted information to create a new table or append to
an emptied copy, make sure that that table has an autonumber field.
After doing whatever else you want to do with that table, sort by that
original autonumber field and it will revert back to the original
sequence. (or as was suggested, create that table with the fields you
want to sort on duplicated, change format on one of the sets and sort
on the other.)

Ron
0
Ron2006
2/5/2008 8:37:07 PM
MCain wrote:
> I have a database that I need alphabetical and I want to color code
> some of the names.
>
> I have sorted the database alpahbetically and saved it with a new
> name.   To sort it, I have to use Text format in my first and last
> name fields.   When I have them listed as Rich Text it will not give
> me the option to sort when I highlight either of those fields.
>
> When I go in and change the name fields to Rich Text so that I can
> color code them, my database reverts back to not being alphabetical.
> What am I missing or doing wrong?
>
> Being able to color code fields is wonderful, so glad they finally
> gave us that option.
>
> Thanks!

You have to understand how the Rich Text (actually HTML) format works.  When you
use that the actual data stored is no longer what you see on the screen because
it has to also contain all of the "tags" that define the formatting.  If you
were allowed to sort on it you would not get the results you expect anyway.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick

Sorting Alphanumeric values in a text field
I'm using Access 2003 for a database for my company. I have a field in a table that has both text and numbers. They are part numbers, for example 21BC124. I kept the field as text because of the text with in the numbers and didn't figure that a numeric field would alow the text. In my part numbers table it sorts correctly (first by number then by letter then by number again), but in my reports and queries there are a few number that sort in the wrong place. Like this... 20D10-3 21BC123 21BC128 22D10 25TD47 21FA101 21FA200 25FA203 38FA601 21FP604 38WS100 I can't quite f...

cell looses name after sorting
Can someone help me with the following problem in Excel 2000: in a table I have attached serveral cells with unique cell names, the values in these cells are used in other sheets. the problem is that when I sort the table, the cell names stay in the original rowposition; they are not sorted! while their values are. So Cell names get different values, and other calculations on my other sheets get messed up! How can I make the cell names relative instead of absolute? thankx in advance, Jim --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "jimfx >" <<jimfx.109zcv@exc...

How do I get text to copy from one cell to another ?
Type = in the target cell. MouseClick the cell containing text. Pres Enter key -- Brian ----------------------------------------------------------------------- BrianB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=5 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27034 ...

if statement with text
I am trying to create an if statement where the string of text contains total, if yes then perform calculation base on that row and column. if no total in text leave blank help =IF(ISERROR(FIND("Total", A1)),"",-yourCalculation-) FIND returns #VALUE if "Total" is not in A1 Therefore, ISERROR returns False if "Total" is in A1 (i.e., it was found, no error) HTH, -- George Nicholson Remove 'Junk' from return address. "jerry" <jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E249057A-F6E4-45BF-929A-B2BB61C3A700@micro...

convert text in excel to uppercase
Is it possible to convert all text in a workbook or on a spreadsheet to all uppercase? In VBA Editor Sub MakeUpper() Dim MySht As Worksheet, MyCell As Range For Each MySht In ThisWorkbook.Sheets For Each MyCell In MySht.UsedRange.Cells MyCell = UCase(MyCell) Next Next End Sub "elaine" wrote: > Is it possible to convert all text in a workbook or on a spreadsheet to all > uppercase? Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "elaine" <elaine@discussions.microsoft.com> s...

How do i sort rows randomly?
I want to choose 50 random rows from 10,000 lines of data and paste it into a new sheet. The only way I know is to use a random number generator to randomly select the records and then copy/paste the data out out, row by row, fifty times, which is time-consuming. Is there a way to randomize my entire data table by row so that I can take the first fifty rows all at once and know that they've been randomly selected? Thanks. Jeremy Jeremy wrote: > I want to choose 50 random rows from 10,000 lines of data and paste it into a > new sheet. The only way I know is to use a random numb...

Provide space in text
Where text and numbers are at different locations in different cells what formula could be used to suit this type of information. I want to be able to put a space between the main body of text on the left and give a space between the text and the start of any numbers are in the cell. Example 1: A1 = Abelia Edward Goucher2 litre Should be: Abelia Edward Goucher 2 litre Example 2: A2 = Acer campestre Nanum180stem 6-8 Should be: Acer campestre Nanum 180stem 6-8 Thankyou if can be of help. Pat If you double clcik in the cell with the data then you can move th blink line to were you wan...

Halfway through my publisher document the text starts scrambling
I am in the middle of a Publisher document that I have to get out ASAP and the words are scrmbling all of a sudden; for instance instead of the it prints out eht. HELP!! Might try an updated printer driver. What version Publisher are you using? What printer? What version Windows? Canon has issues with Publisher 98 and Windows 98 How to troubleshoot text printing (inkjet printers) in Publisher 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198258&Product=pub PUB2000: Troubleshooting Text Printing (Laser Printers) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198...

Find a text
Hi all I am trying to find a text and delate a Row if the text is in the row. But I am not sure how to do it. Can someone help me? Option Explicit Sub FindText() Dim Cell As Range For Each Cell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange If Cell = "Samtals hreyfing:" Then ‚the text Samtals hreyfing sin in in the column E:E ‚If the text Samtals hreyfing: is in the row then I want to delete the Row End If Next Cell End Sub I think you may be looking for this... Sub FindText() Dim Cell As Range For Each Cell In Intersect(ActiveSheet.UsedRange, Columns("E")) ...

Help with formula: finding text
Hi, I would like to ask for help with a formula for comparing name in a cell with a list of names in a table. If there is a match it should return a associated text to the matched name from the table. If no match it should just leave the cell blank. Thanks in advance Jonas Hi =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE) -- Please click "yes" if this post helped you! Greatly appreciated Eva "Jonas Ornborg" wrote: > Hi, > I would like to ask for help with a formula for comparing name in a cell > with a list of names in a table. If there is a match...

GENERATE a TEXT FILE Using INPUT from a Form ??
I need to generate a Text file using (partly) information entered by the user on a form. I already have the TEMPLATE for the text file......I need to generate a COPY of the file with the word entered by the user into the form INSERTED into the text file. The text file is actually code for a web page (will have an .htm extension). The file is simply an exact copy of an existing template with only ONE ITEM of the text changed to a word that is entered into a form by a user. Example: One line within the template file is: "We have several of these items available in BLUE." I have...

Export (or save as) .csv with text delimiters
Has anyone found a way of coercing Excel 2000 to export .csv files with delimiter text? e.g: as "Mickey Mouse","Minnie Mouse","Donald Duck" not Mickey Mouse,Minnie Mouse,Donald Duck Thanks Caroline -- CarolineP ------------------------------------------------------------------------ CarolineP's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20007 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=345941 http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "CarolineP" <Car...

Sorting Sheets?
In Excel 2002 is there a way of sorting sheets other than by dragging? See www.cpearson.com/excel/sortws.htm for sample VBA code to sort worksheets. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "rifleman" <me9@privacy.net> wrote in message news:bpikvi$1odhnd$1@ID-108938.news.uni-berlin.de... > In Excel 2002 is there a way of sorting sheets other than by dragging? > > Using VBA http://www.cpearson.com/excel/sortws.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "rifleman" <me9@privacy.net> wrote in mess...

sort special text/numbers in format with many dots
Hi I need your help with sorting in Excel! I have mani Text fields with numbers into it. As example: 1 5.1 1.2 10.2.1 1.2.3 2 2.1.5 3 3.2.1.1 3.3.1.1.1 And it should sorted like this 1 1.2 1.2.3 2 2.1.5 3 3.2.1.1 3.3.1.1.1 5.1 10.2.1 How can I sort this like numbers? My problem is, that not all Numbers have the same format as x.x.x.x! And I can't change this Text-Fields to Numbers, because 10.6.1 looks the like 37052 :-( Any suggestions? Thx Marco Hi With your data in column A, insert a blank column at B. In B1 enter =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(".",A1)),LEFT(A1,FIND(".&q...

full-text indexing error
Hi Getting the following error during install at select SQL Server "Full-Text Indexing needs to be running on the specified SQL server." I've installed Index Service but cannot find any full-text indexing options anywhere? Help Matt Hi Matt, only three suggestions (haven't had this problem so far): - check the service "Microsoft Search" and start it and set type to automatic - in SQL Server Enterprise Manager go to folder "Supporting Services" (don't know the exact english name as I only have a german SQL Server here) and check the serv...

Sorted and Groups
Ok, I have a personal folder labled clients. When i set a client up I get a system generated message that says to the extent Doe, John: sucessfully set up DAT I have over 100 clients each with a different name. What I would like to do is sort by the subject line so that their names are sorted alphabetically... When I do this however it groups each subject individually which of course is extremely redundant because no two subjects are the exact same and it just keeps repeating the message and way over clutters the view. How can I just sort and keep the old outlook normal view of the folders ...

How do I sort data in excel by color?
Sorry, English isn’t my mother tongue, hope you’ll be able to understand my question anyway. I have a sheet with four columns of data. Three of them contain numbers and the last one contains a word like the example bellow. In Out Pending Name 1 3 2 Andrew 5 3 7 Mike 3 2 4 Andrew 2 7 1 Mary 4 5 1 Andrew Now, if I want to quickly find all rows containing the word “Andrew” I go to Edit, click Find and click replace and type Andrew into the “Find what” space and Andrew into the “replace with” space. After that I format the fon...

Macro or Function to make text size to suite text Length?
I would like to find Macro or Function that will make text size to suite text Length? eg. if the first cell has "bill smith" then the text size would be 10. But if you had "Christina Vandermear" then the text size would be as small as 7 in order to fit in that same size cell. I know it's a bit of an odd request, but is there a way to do that? thanks Hi only possible with VBA. You may download the following addin for this extension of the conditional format (as Excel's build in format can't change the font size): http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CF...

can Excel randomly sort numbers
I would like to sort numbers in a random sequence. How can I do that in Excel or any office application? "gasmith" <gasmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A905226-47EA-4EE3-BADE-E22A58A1C15E@microsoft.com... > I would like to sort numbers in a random sequence. How can I do that in > Excel or any office application? Yes. Assuming that your numbers are in column A, insert =Random() in column B. Drag this function downwads so that you have as many calls to Random as you have numbers to sort randomly. Select columns A and B Select Tools|Sort and sor...

Convert Function Result To Plain Text
I want to copy the result of a concatenate function to another cell as plain text (cell contents is the textual result not the function statement). I can't seem to find the function that does that. Can you steer me to it please. There is no such a function (think it over: it's impossible), it can be done with Copy/PasteSpecial-Values! -- Regards! Stefi „"Questor"” ezt írta: > I want to copy the result of a concatenate function to another cell as plain > text (cell contents is the textual result not the function statement). I > can'...

ListView: Text from previous row
In one ListView column I need to pickup the text from previous row as suggestion in a new, inserting row.What event I need to use ? How to pick up the text, from previous row, same column? And how to put it in a insert row ? ASP.NET, C# "Mario" <pascal@po.t-com.hr> wrote in message news:hq577c$7o6$1@ss408.t-com.hr... > In one ListView column I need to pickup the text from previous row as > suggestion in a new, inserting row.What event I need to use ? How to pick > up the text, from previous row, same column? And how to put it in a insert &...

Help with summing numbers in cells that also contain text
Hello all, I have a work schedule where the column heading is the employee's name and the cells below indicate what the employee's status was for that date, as follows: col A col B Date Smith 01/01/07 8.0 SIC 01/02/07 4.0 SIC 01/03/07 D (indicating worked the day) 01/04/07 8.0 VAC TOTAL SIC Hrs: 12.0 I've tried extracting the numerical values into a hidden helper column "C" using the following formula: =IF(RIGHT(B2,3)="SIC",LEFT(B2,3),"") It extracts the correct value, how...

Extract Specific Text from a Cell
I have a range of cells that I have pasted from the Web that contain an identification number (which consists of a letter then a string of numbers followed by a name). In the adjacent cell I would like to extract just the name, omitting the identification number. What is the formula for doing so? Thank you again for all of your help. Greatly appreciate the prompt responses and accurate information that this forum provides. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If you install the functions in http://www.tmehta.com/regexp/add_code.htm then you can use =RegExpSubstitute(A15,...