Reverse Cascading Combo Box's ??

So i've got the whole cascading combo box process down to a T, but now I
would like to get a little more sophisticated with it.  I have a form with 2
combo box's on it: cboParentName and cboChildName.  The combos are set up
where they receive parameters from other forms or can be selected by using
the drop down menu.  That process works.

The trick would be when cboChildName receives the parameter from the a
different form, it would "auto select" cboParentName with the correct name.
Thus limiting cboChildName to the proper list.

cboParentName already has the code:
cboParentName_On Change
cboChildName.requery

so I think the rest would only be to do the reverse cascading to the "first"
combo box(cboParentName)

If this is to confusing, let me know and i'll try to clear it up.

Thanks.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Something doesn't seem to compute...

If you pick "Billy" for the child's name, wouldn't you have a host of Parent
Names that go with that?

If you want to use cascading combo boxes, you'll need to decide which one
starts it, and which one cascades...

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"cmraguilar" <cmraguilar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So i've got the whole cascading combo box process down to a T, but now I
> would like to get a little more sophisticated with it.  I have a form with
> 2
> combo box's on it: cboParentName and cboChildName.  The combos are set up
> where they receive parameters from other forms or can be selected by using
> the drop down menu.  That process works.
>
> The trick would be when cboChildName receives the parameter from the a
> different form, it would "auto select" cboParentName with the correct
> name.
> Thus limiting cboChildName to the proper list.
>
> cboParentName already has the code:
> cboParentName_On Change
> cboChildName.requery
>
> so I think the rest would only be to do the reverse cascading to the
> "first"
> combo box(cboParentName)
>
> If this is to confusing, let me know and i'll try to clear it up.
>
> Thanks.

0
Jeff
1/30/2008 11:28:57 PM
If your selecting the child's name from the combo box, then yes you are
correct the parent's name would be selected first.

My example would be if the parameter for the child's name was brought over
from another form.  "Billy" would be passed into cboChildName and
cboParentName would be filled in with the proper name.  Then if you were to
click on the cboChildName, you would only see the respective names that were
associated with parents name.

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> Something doesn't seem to compute...
>
> If you pick "Billy" for the child's name, wouldn't you have a host of Parent
> Names that go with that?
>
> If you want to use cascading combo boxes, you'll need to decide which one
> starts it, and which one cascades...
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>
> "cmraguilar" <cmraguilar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > So i've got the whole cascading combo box process down to a T, but now I
> > would like to get a little more sophisticated with it.  I have a form with
> > 2
> > combo box's on it: cboParentName and cboChildName.  The combos are set up
> > where they receive parameters from other forms or can be selected by using
> > the drop down menu.  That process works.
> >
> > The trick would be when cboChildName receives the parameter from the a
> > different form, it would "auto select" cboParentName with the correct
> > name.
> > Thus limiting cboChildName to the proper list.
> >
> > cboParentName already has the code:
> > cboParentName_On Change
> > cboChildName.requery
> >
> > so I think the rest would only be to do the reverse cascading to the
> > "first"
> > combo box(cboParentName)
> >
> > If this is to confusing, let me know and i'll try to clear it up.
> >
> > Thanks.

I tried to get a similar operation going on a form and subform I was
building.  I was unable to find any solutions either.  "NetworkTrade"
(Another user) made a great suggestion.
You could use a third combo box that lists ALL the childrens names.  When a
selection is made it updates a simple text box that informs you of the
correct parent name.  (Simply done, but effective.)

I don't know what volume of information you are dealing with and if as a
result of that volume this suggestion is useful or not, but maybe it will
spark an idea. <grin>
--
-The Chump -Jason

"cmraguilar" wrote:

> If your selecting the child's name from the combo box, then yes you are
> correct the parent's name would be selected first.
>
> My example would be if the parameter for the child's name was brought over
> from another form.  "Billy" would be passed into cboChildName and
> cboParentName would be filled in with the proper name.  Then if you were to
> click on the cboChildName, you would only see the respective names that were
> associated with parents name.
>
> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
> > Something doesn't seem to compute...
> >
> > If you pick "Billy" for the child's name, wouldn't you have a host of Parent
> > Names that go with that?
> >
> > If you want to use cascading combo boxes, you'll need to decide which one
> > starts it, and which one cascades...
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Jeff Boyce
> > Microsoft Office/Access MVP
> >
> > "cmraguilar" <cmraguilar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > So i've got the whole cascading combo box process down to a T, but now I
> > > would like to get a little more sophisticated with it.  I have a form with
> > > 2
> > > combo box's on it: cboParentName and cboChildName.  The combos are set up
> > > where they receive parameters from other forms or can be selected by using
> > > the drop down menu.  That process works.
> > >
> > > The trick would be when cboChildName receives the parameter from the a
> > > different form, it would "auto select" cboParentName with the correct
> > > name.
> > > Thus limiting cboChildName to the proper list.
> > >
> > > cboParentName already has the code:
> > > cboParentName_On Change
> > > cboChildName.requery
> > >
> > > so I think the rest would only be to do the reverse cascading to the
> > > "first"
> > > combo box(cboParentName)
> > >
> > > If this is to confusing, let me know and i'll try to clear it up.
> > >
> > > Thanks.

How can the "cboParentName" be "filled in with the proper name", when you
haven't selected which parent yet?

I think I must still be missing something...

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MPV

> If your selecting the child's name from the combo box, then yes you are
> correct the parent's name would be selected first.
>
> My example would be if the parameter for the child's name was brought over
> from another form.  "Billy" would be passed into cboChildName and
> cboParentName would be filled in with the proper name.  Then if you were
> click on the cboChildName, you would only see the respective names that
> were
> associated with parents name.
>
> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
>> Something doesn't seem to compute...
>>
>> If you pick "Billy" for the child's name, wouldn't you have a host of
>> Parent
>> Names that go with that?
>>
>> If you want to use cascading combo boxes, you'll need to decide which one
>> starts it, and which one cascades...
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>>
>> "cmraguilar" <cmraguilar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > So i've got the whole cascading combo box process down to a T, but now
>> > would like to get a little more sophisticated with it.  I have a form
>> > with
>> > 2
>> > combo box's on it: cboParentName and cboChildName.  The combos are set
>> > up
>> > where they receive parameters from other forms or can be selected by
>> > using
>> > the drop down menu.  That process works.
>> >
>> > The trick would be when cboChildName receives the parameter from the a
>> > different form, it would "auto select" cboParentName with the correct
>> > name.
>> > Thus limiting cboChildName to the proper list.
>> >
>> > cboParentName already has the code:
>> > cboParentName_On Change
>> > cboChildName.requery
>> >
>> > so I think the rest would only be to do the reverse cascading to the
>> > "first"
>> > combo box(cboParentName)
>> >
>> > If this is to confusing, let me know and i'll try to clear it up.
>> >
>> > Thanks.

0
Jeff
1/31/2008 7:34:16 PM
Thats what I'm trying to figure out.  The value for cboChildName would be
sent in as a parameter from another form.  The value for cboParentName select
after cboChildName received the parameter value.  Thus, the "reverse" of the
cascade effect.

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> How can the "cboParentName" be "filled in with the proper name", when you
> haven't selected which parent yet?
>
> I think I must still be missing something...
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Office/Access MPV
>
> "cmraguilar" <cmraguilar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If your selecting the child's name from the combo box, then yes you are
> > correct the parent's name would be selected first.
> >
> > My example would be if the parameter for the child's name was brought over
> > from another form.  "Billy" would be passed into cboChildName and
> > cboParentName would be filled in with the proper name.  Then if you were
> > click on the cboChildName, you would only see the respective names that
> > were
> > associated with parents name.
> >
> > "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
> >
> >> Something doesn't seem to compute...
> >>
> >> If you pick "Billy" for the child's name, wouldn't you have a host of
> >> Parent
> >> Names that go with that?
> >>
> >> If you want to use cascading combo boxes, you'll need to decide which one
> >> starts it, and which one cascades...
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Jeff Boyce
> >> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
> >>
> >> "cmraguilar" <cmraguilar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Thats a pretty good idea.  Although I think I might set the text box property
visible=false and then set cboParentName to select from the parameter or the
hidden text box.....

Or just send both parameters when the form opens....

Thanks for the ideas and changing my focus of getting the final result.

"excel/access-chump" wrote:

> I tried to get a similar operation going on a form and subform I was
> building.  I was unable to find any solutions either.  "NetworkTrade"
> (Another user) made a great suggestion.
> You could use a third combo box that lists ALL the childrens names.  When a
> selection is made it updates a simple text box that informs you of the
> correct parent name.  (Simply done, but effective.)
>
> I don't know what volume of information you are dealing with and if as a
> result of that volume this suggestion is useful or not, but maybe it will
> spark an idea. <grin>
> --
> -The Chump -Jason
>

> "cmraguilar" wrote:
>
> > If your selecting the child's name from the combo box, then yes you are
> > correct the parent's name would be selected first.
> >
> > My example would be if the parameter for the child's name was brought over
> > from another form.  "Billy" would be passed into cboChildName and
> > cboParentName would be filled in with the proper name.  Then if you were to
> > click on the cboChildName, you would only see the respective names that were
> > associated with parents name.
> >
> > "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
> >
> > > Something doesn't seem to compute...
> > >
> > > If you pick "Billy" for the child's name, wouldn't you have a host of Parent
> > > Names that go with that?
> > >
> > > If you want to use cascading combo boxes, you'll need to decide which one
> > > starts it, and which one cascades...
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Jeff Boyce
> > > Microsoft Office/Access MVP
> > >
> > > "cmraguilar" <cmraguilar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Glad I could help!
Just a note:
I tried to implement both those ideas (to avoid clutter) but ended up
resigned to the method I mentioned.  If you find a way to make it work
without having that "extra" step it would be great if you would post it so we
all could benefit from your discovery. :)
--

-The Chump - Jason

"cmraguilar" wrote:

> Thats a pretty good idea.  Although I think I might set the text box property
> visible=false and then set cboParentName to select from the parameter or the
> hidden text box.....
>
> Or just send both parameters when the form opens....
>
> Thanks for the ideas and changing my focus of getting the final result.
>
> "excel/access-chump" wrote:
>
> > I tried to get a similar operation going on a form and subform I was
> > building.  I was unable to find any solutions either.  "NetworkTrade"
> > (Another user) made a great suggestion.
> > You could use a third combo box that lists ALL the childrens names.  When a
> > selection is made it updates a simple text box that informs you of the
> > correct parent name.  (Simply done, but effective.)
> >
> > I don't know what volume of information you are dealing with and if as a
> > result of that volume this suggestion is useful or not, but maybe it will
> > spark an idea. <grin>
> > --
> > -The Chump -Jason
> >

> > "cmraguilar" wrote:
> >
> > > If your selecting the child's name from the combo box, then yes you are
> > > correct the parent's name would be selected first.
> > >
> > > My example would be if the parameter for the child's name was brought over
> > > from another form.  "Billy" would be passed into cboChildName and
> > > cboParentName would be filled in with the proper name.  Then if you were to
> > > click on the cboChildName, you would only see the respective names that were
> > > associated with parents name.

no speak inglis?sory

"cmraguilar" <cmraguilar@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message
de groupe de discussion :
F3253ECC-F82C-40B6-A618-D4DADE47A5BA@microsoft.com...
> So i've got the whole cascading combo box process down to a T, but now I
> would like to get a little more sophisticated with it.  I have a form with
> 2
> combo box's on it: cboParentName and cboChildName.  The combos are set up
> where they receive parameters from other forms or can be selected by using
> the drop down menu.  That process works.
>
> The trick would be when cboChildName receives the parameter from the a
> different form, it would "auto select" cboParentName with the correct
> name.
> Thus limiting cboChildName to the proper list.
>
> cboParentName already has the code:
> cboParentName_On Change
> cboChildName.requery
>
> so I think the rest would only be to do the reverse cascading to the
> "first"
> combo box(cboParentName)
>
> If this is to confusing, let me know and i'll try to clear it up.
>
> Thanks.

0
ti

Text box
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I am trying to print text that is in a text box but only the boarder of the box prints out. The text is visible in the normal view and in the print preview. First confirm that both Office & OS X are fully updated. Then check in Word> Preferences> Print to make sure that the boxes are checked for both "Drawing objects" & "Print background colors & images". Equally important: You should also have a look at the printer mfr's web site to see if you have the most current driver for you...

Edit Box carriage return
How do I add a carriage return and have it show up correctly in an mfc textbox? I need to edit the CString variable then updatedata and have it show multiple lines. The multiline option is selected. Use \r\n. "CodeTyro" <CodeTyro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:819EB280-849A-4672-81C6-12DB72952B9B@microsoft.com... > How do I add a carriage return and have it show up correctly in an mfc textbox? I need to edit the CString variable then updatedata and have it show multiple lines. The multiline option is selected. ...

Publisher should have customizable text box shapes.
---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=4e3276f3-4c7c-48e6-9580-3492276008c2&dg=microsoft.public.publisher You can insert text into autoshapes. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsof...

Forms Check Box cell link
Excel 2003 I am using a check box created with the Forms menu. I created a box over cell D4. Using the Format Control box, I linked the check box to cell D4. I want to copy the check box in cell D5, D6, D7,.... and I want the cell link to integrate in the same mannor; check box in cell D5 should link to cell D5, and so on. Is there a way to accomplish this short of going into the format control box and manually editing each cell link after I have copy and pasted several check boxes? I have NOT entered the link using an absolute cell referense. I got the idea for this from Dav...

Form Menu : Check Box
I am trying to enter 300 or so check boxes onto and Excel spreadsheet. I find that I can link the 'return' cell using the right click / Forma Control / Control tab / Cell Link option but I need to do this for eac box ! Is there a way around this ? Whereby I can create one Check Box an then drag or copy it down -- jagstirlin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jagstirling's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=110 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=50634 Maybe you could jus...

totals do not display unless user clicks on text box
I am relatively new to access. I am using access 2007 to create a report that contains subtotals. When the report is displayed on the screen the subtotals are blank. When the user clicks on the subtotal text box then the value appears. The user has to click on each subtotal in order to make the value appear. Has anyone experience this problem? Is there a workaround or solution? Thanks Normally a sub-total in a report is achieved by means of an unbound text box in a group footer with a ControlSource property which is an expression summing a set of values from the detail sect...

disabling the Files type combo box
Hi All, My Visual Basic application is using Excel for reporting. I need to restrict the users of my application to open only excel files from the File->Open dialogue box. Or Is there any way to make default �Excel files (*.xls)� in the Files type combo box in the Open dialog box and disabling the Files type combo box, so that the users can only select excel files when they click File->Open. Please help me in this regard -- areddy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ areddy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=ge...

Linking drop down boxes #2
Gord Dibben and Dave Peterson Many thanks for the sound advice to visit Debra Dalgleish's site whic has proved most helpful. best wishes to you both Zaika : -- zaik ----------------------------------------------------------------------- zaika's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1590 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27384 Zaika Thanks for the thanks. Gord....and for Dave also. On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:27:57 -0600, zaika <zaika.1f0kzz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote: > >Gord Dibben and Dave Peterson &...

Font in Check Box
Is it possible to change the Font in a check box? If it's a checkbox from the control toolbox toolbar, you can go into design mode show the checkbox's properties double click on Font and change it. If the checkbox is on a userform (inside the VBE), you can show its properties and do the same thing. You also have another reply at your original post. Mon wrote: > > Is it possible to change the Font in a check box? -- Dave Peterson ...

Combo box returning wrong value
I am having trouble with a combo box, which is filled by a query to that displays two fields (Fund # and Fund description). The fields are unbound and I am using VBA to store the unbound fields in a table. I am using an option box to determine which sequence to use to present the data (I use two different queries and store one of them in the row source of the combo box, depending on the option box value). This all works fine. The problem comes when an item is selected. I would like to store the values both the Fund # and the Fund value in my table with VBA. My VBA code in the co...

Mail Box Size
Exchange 2000 SP3 + rollup. Is there a limit to the size any one user's mailbox?. I have a client with one user having a 6 Gig mail box. Yes, that is correct 6 GIG for one user. Thanks B the only limit is the limit of your store, ie if standard then 16GB(if hes the only user) enterprise = as much disk space as you have Bob wrote: > Exchange 2000 SP3 + rollup. Is there a limit to the size any one user's > mailbox?. I have a client with one user having a 6 Gig mail box. Yes, that > is correct 6 GIG for one user. > > Thanks B > > On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 ...

Help please using a combo box with a query instead of the usual wildcards etc.....
Hi, I have nearly finished my database and I would like to add a query that uses a combo box to get the results, not the usual paramater style input. I suppose it would need a form and a query and a combo box, but where to start !!!!!!!! Any kind soul out there that can give me an example of where to start..........? Many Thanks Joe Joe The generic approach you'd use is: * create a new form, add a combo box that is set to return the value your query would need * create your query ... in the criterion "cell", put a reference to the form's combo box's value: ...

Combo Box 12-26-07
Is there a way to have more than one bound column in a combo box? No. What is it you are trying to do? Perhaps we can offer a suggestion. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Sharon" wrote: > Is there a way to have more than one bound column in a combo box? On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 07:02:00 -0800, Sharon wrote: > Is there a way to have more than one bound column in a combo box? No. Now if you tell us why you think you need more than one bound column, perhaps some one can help with an alternative solution. -- Fred Please respond only to this newsgroup. I do not reply to pe...

Use combo to print report between two sets of dates
I am trying to print a report that shows timesheet entries for two sets of dates. The report also prints out based on the data entry person selected. The user selects their name and then uses another combo box to select pre entered dates. My code is as follows: Private Sub cboDates_Click() Dim stDocName As String Dim FromDate As Date 'Name of criteria start timesheets date field. Dim ToDate As Date 'Name of criteria end timesheets date field. Dim FromOTDate As Date 'Name of criteria start OT date field. Dim ToOTDate As Date 'Name of criter...

How can I embed a font in an Excel text box?

RSG and a NAS box
Hi all I am running exchange 2003 sp1, what i want to know is if i have to restore a mailbox uisng the RSG, can i point or mount the RSG databse to a NAS box or another server other than exchange? What i am concerned about is if i have to restore a database from backup to the RSG, I might not have enough room on the server to hold the prodcution DB and the restored DB to the RSG. Also if i can mount the DB to a different box, then can i run exmerge on it and get the mail? Thanks a ton! On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:53:06 -0800, "Skipster" <Skipster@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Setting text color to black in inactive combo boxes
Hi, I have a dialog with several edits & combo boxes (and labels too). The data is shown for view only and i need it to be shown in black color (text). For the edits i use the read-only property and it's doing the job. With the combo's i have a problem, The text is displayed in gray no matter what... anyone? Thanks. yuval.gatenio@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I have a dialog with several edits & combo boxes (and labels too). > > The data is shown for view only and i need it to be shown in black > color (text). > > For the edits i use the read-only...

Input box replace text in textbox
How can I modify the macro below with input box code to replace "2008" by "2009" using an input box - so that i can replace "2008" by "2010" more easily if required - thxs Sub masschange() Dim ws As Worksheet Dim longstr As String Dim i As Long For Each ws In ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets For Each shp In ws.Shapes 'shp.Select If shp.Type = msoOLEControlObject Then If TypeOf shp.OLEFormat.Object.Object Is MSForms.TextBox Then If shp.Type = msoOLEControlObject Then If TypeOf shp.OLEFormat.Obje...

Populate List / Combo Box
I want to populate a list box with filtered values from column y based on the value in column x matching the value in cell a1. Column y contains a list of players. Column x contains the team to which the player belongs A1 will be updated by the user with the team name The list box will then display the players who are members of the team in A1 I'd be grateful for suggestions how to acheive the filtering rather than populating the list box with all column y values and therefore displaying all players irrespective of their team. Thanks in advance, David You might do something like ...

unbound text box
I have an unbound text box that fills a subform called that has a bound textbox. I want to have the color of the font to change in the unbound box if I have the checkbox as true. I want that color to hold even after I move the record to the subform. I am really having a lot of problems with this. jwebster1979, Several options available but which one(s) depends on what version of Access... -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.h...

Check Box
I have a table linked from an SQL Server database that I would like to update through an Access form. I need to use a series of check boxes to adjust over 100 different fields, but I need the check boxes to update the fields in the linked table with 1 for yes instead of -1. The reason for this is that the other software that loads information from the database uses 1 as the value for yes and cannot be configured otherwise. I cannot use custom formatting on the table fields since they are linked. I am assuming that a VB script is the way to go, but am having trouble getting...

How can I regain a sign in box for my Outlook
I used to be able to sign in to Outlook but the sign in box does not appear any longer, I have tried repairing Outlook twice from its disk and it says it has been successfully repaired but still there is no sign in box so I feel vulnerable without protection Signing in doesnt give you any protection, just means someone else cannot retrieve your mail on your PC. There are two places for passwords; you can password protect your set of Personal Folders (within Outlook), which means there will be no access to outlook data untill you enter the password; or in your email account s...

Combo Box lookup stops working.
I am attempting to to add some features to an exsisting db. My Main form displays a family last name. On a tabbed control there is a subform to add family members to the general last name. I created a family lookup combo box using the wizard. This control works fine. I also need to be able to search for a first name that could appear in the subform. I created a form (named LookupForm) that displays all of the first names from the bound table. When a first name is selected in the combo box there is a button labled "Go to first Name". The "On Click" even...

Formatting within a label box
is there any way to do any kind of individual formatting of text with in a label box? I have a large paragraph of text in a label box and I want to make a few of the words BOLD. I tried doing the formatting in Word and then pasteing that in but that did not work. I also tried creating new label box(s) for just the BOLD text but trying to align those with the existing text was not successful. Do I have any other options? Any help here will be appreciated. Thanks in advance D Not directly unless you're using Access 2007. Otherwise you need an add in. Stephen Lebans has one many pe...

change color in many text box
I have a form which takes information from a query. The information is orizontally aranged in the many text boxes . I would like to know how can i change the background color of the text box on the row by just doubleclicking on that particular row. Give me some suggestions please! Thanks Florin The actual command to change the background color is me.fieldname.backcolor = # ' # for the color you want or vbRed or some such to represent the color. HOWEVER 1) it will not work on a datasheet view. 2) There is no event for row doubleclick 3) if you use form doublec...