return value from access into excel based on criteria or content

I have two unique challenges that I need help figuring out:
1. I have an access database of names
Example:
Name:
Van Gogh, Vincent

I have an excel sheet that has  Name  but may have incorrect spelling
or variances.
Example:
Name:
VanGogh, Vincent
Vincent Van Gogh
Van Go Vincent
(etc)

I would like to find a way to pull in the correct value for name and
title from access into excel based on exact match, close match or
keyword.

2. I would also like to do the same for name and title combination.
Example- access database has Name and Title
Name:
Van Gogh

Title:
Starry Night

the excel sheet might have incorrect spelling or variance of both
name
and title:
Name:
VanGogh, Vincent
Vincent Van Gogh
Van Go Vincent
(etc)

Title:
Starry nite
Starry night, c1889
stary   night
etc.

I would like to find a way to pull in the correct value for name and
title from access into excel based on  the combination of Name and
Title for an exact match, close match or keywords such as van gogh
starry.

I am completely stumped but know that there hsoudl be a way I can do
this as access hold all of my records- about 300,000 names and
titles.  I get new excel sheets to correct every week and fidn the
correct name and title for possible errors in spelling or variances
in
title name.

I really appreciate your help.
Tina

0
Dreamkeeper
10/30/2007 11:02:38 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

New to excel

Reporting from Project Server

Looking for Excel Help

'top' is not a valid value for the 'vertical-align' property.
Well, it is, actually, and the resulting .chm file works properly in HTML Help. But it's a bit tedious getting that wrong useless error message from VS2002 on every build. (Well, not every build, it only does it sometimes actually.) Any idea how I can persuade it to stop telling me this? -- Tim Ward Brett Ward Limited - www.brettward.co.uk ...

learning Excel #3

default values in a cell

microsoft.public.access.conversion

Table of Contents for each section
I have tried several times to create a TOC for each section of my document. They way it is now I can simply go to the Insert a TOC and it will insert e perfect TOC. All my text has been changed to the appropriate Level and I have no problem there. But I need to seperate the chapters to the start of their respective sections (I have next page breaks inserted at the start of every chapter). I have tried the bookmark method, no luck. I have tried other methods but I think my problem is that I have selected the appropriate fields and changed their levels appropriately. I have not mes...

Excel VBA

Access to User Calendar

COUNTIF MULTIPLE CRITERIA #2
To count if Col A=aa and Col B=bb and Col C=cc. Must meet all situation. Thanks will A Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10="aa"),--(B1:B10="bb"),--(C1:C10="cc")) Adjust range references to suit your situation Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron "will A" wrote: > To count if Col A=aa and Col B=bb and Col C=cc. Must meet all situation. > Thanks > will A =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000="aa"),--(B1:B1000="bb"),--(C1:c1000="cc")) SUMPRODUCT does not work on a complete column, just a defined range, and all ranges must b...

Q:Excel/ODBC/Login ....
Hi' there ! My situation is this; My customer have a hole bunch of different Excel workbooks - with VB code inside. In this VB code the user/pwd to the ODBC connection is hardcoded. This hardcoding is not approved by audit. Is there any smart way (opposed the insert a login-dialogbox in each of those workbooks) - to solve this problem? What I thought of, is to make a button on my menubar to etablish the ODBC connection and regardless of wich workbook I open - hold this connection open. But somethins tells me, that the code should beplaced in a workbook - and not directly in Excel...