Result of one combo box, affecting results of another...

Just out of curiousity...

Is there a way to have what the user selects in one combo box on a
form, affect what is available for the user on another box!?

For instance... Box A has 8 different addresses.. Within those
addresses there are 12 different building ID locations... Instead of
having all 12 building locations for each address always appear in the
combo box, If the user picks building 4, is there a way to just have
the building ID options for building 4 showing in combo box B?

Charles!
0
Goobz
1/10/2008 2:41:22 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Use your favorite search engine.

Use "Cascading Combo boxes" for search terms.

--
Regards

Jeff Boyce
www.InformationFutures.net

Microsoft Office/Access MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
http://microsoftitacademy.com/

"Goobz" <charlestwaters@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Just out of curiousity...
>
> Is there a way to have what the user selects in one combo box on a
> form, affect what is available for the user on another box!?
>
> For instance... Box A has 8 different addresses.. Within those
> addresses there are 12 different building ID locations... Instead of
> having all 12 building locations for each address always appear in the
> combo box, If the user picks building 4, is there a way to just have
> the building ID options for building 4 showing in combo box B?
>
> Charles!

0
Jeff
1/10/2008 2:54:15 PM
Charles,

You can probably find what you are looking for here:

http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/667999-solved-access-query-listbox-question.html

HTH
Thanks,
Roger

"Goobz" wrote:

> Just out of curiousity...
>
> Is there a way to have what the user selects in one combo box on a
> form, affect what is available for the user on another box!?
>
> For instance... Box A has 8 different addresses.. Within those
> addresses there are 12 different building ID locations... Instead of
> having all 12 building locations for each address always appear in the
> combo box, If the user picks building 4, is there a way to just have
> the building ID options for building 4 showing in combo box B?
>
> Charles!

Charles:

You might also like to take a look at:

http://community.netscape.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=libraryMessages&tsn=1&tid=23626&webtag=ws-msdevapps

which demonstrates various ways of using correlated combo boxes with
hierarchical data in both single and continuous form view while maintaining
normalized table structures.  The units in the demo are the local
administrative areas of County, District and Parish in my area, but the
principles are the same for any similar hierarchy.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

"Goobz" wrote:

> Just out of curiousity...
>
> Is there a way to have what the user selects in one combo box on a
> form, affect what is available for the user on another box!?
>
> For instance... Box A has 8 different addresses.. Within those
> addresses there are 12 different building ID locations... Instead of
> having all 12 building locations for each address always appear in the
> combo box, If the user picks building 4, is there a way to just have
> the building ID options for building 4 showing in combo box B?
>
> Charles!

I've tried all of the items shown above. However, the problem I am
having with all of them, is trying to integrate them into an already
existing database, using and storing existing fields...

I have tried the bound, un-bound, all of them, and just can't seem to
figure out how to get it to work in conjunction with my database. I
obviously am doing something wrong!? :(
0
Goobz
1/14/2008 7:00:35 PM
My problem is this...

   I can get 99.9% of these examples all installed, and the whole nine
yards. Where my problem comes in at, is when I have to "bind" one of
the combo boxes, that's where my problem comes in at...

   The information I am trying to bind is on a table "DN.911ID". When
I try and use the examples that I have found and downloaded, it won't
let me "bind" it to the example colum that is being used, so I have no
way of getting any of the information imported over.

   I have a table "Building" which is being linked to "911 Zones", and
it's within those tables that the infromation I need to use on 99% of
these examples (ie: 911 Zones.BuildingID", which has a relationship
with "Building.NameID".

   I wouldn't mind saving the information under the "DN" table, but I
guess if I can get it to Data Source to any correct table, I can deal
with it from there...

Thanx, Charles!
0
Goobz
1/14/2008 11:37:22 PM
Charles:

The basic principle behind my demo is that only the lowest level in the
hierarchy is stored in the referencing table.  The table is thus normalized
as it does not contain columns for district or parish, which are known from
the parish, so it would be redundant to have columns for these in Locations.
In my case its ParishID which is stored in the Locations table, and is thus
the ControlSource of the bound combo box cboParish on frmLocations_Single.
The district and county combo boxes are unbound.

I'm not sure I've correctly interpreted your last post, but I assume that in
your case the zone is the higher level of the hierarchy and the building the
lower level, i.e. for each zone there are a number of buildings.  I take it
that the referencing table (DN?) in each row of which you have a foreign key
column (911ID?) is the one on which your form is based, so this would have an
unbound combo box for the zone and a bound combo box (with 911ID as its
ControlSource property) for the building.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

"Goobz" wrote:

> My problem is this...
>

>    I can get 99.9% of these examples all installed, and the whole nine
> yards. Where my problem comes in at, is when I have to "bind" one of
> the combo boxes, that's where my problem comes in at...
>
>    The information I am trying to bind is on a table "DN.911ID". When
> I try and use the examples that I have found and downloaded, it won't
> let me "bind" it to the example colum that is being used, so I have no
> way of getting any of the information imported over.
>
>    I have a table "Building" which is being linked to "911 Zones", and
> it's within those tables that the infromation I need to use on 99% of
> these examples (ie: 911 Zones.BuildingID", which has a relationship
> with "Building.NameID".
>
>    I wouldn't mind saving the information under the "DN" table, but I
> guess if I can get it to Data Source to any correct table, I can deal
> with it from there...
>
> Thanx, Charles!

Yes and no... Here's what I have going on... I'm working on massivly
cleaning up a database that the person before me had put together,
which looks basically like an excel spreadsheet on steroids. I've
already split the database, which users used to work in directly, and
have to get out of it so the next could get in it, and have everyone
working off the front end mde file... Here's the layout for my little
scenario I am working on right now...

Table.DN - This is the table that the values are stored in for
specific people.
Form.DN Update - This is the form that is being used, pulling and
storing values from Table.DN.
Form.DN Update Subform - This is a poorly built subform, which pulls
and stores values from Table.TN

Here's what I am trying to do... I will give you the breakdown...

Form.DN - Contains the Combo Boxes.
cboBuilding - This box has locations which are pulled from
Table.Building.911ID, and stores Table.Building.911Zone
cbo911Zone - This will use the value from cboBuilding to bring up
values based on the result.
cbo911Zone is the value that needs to be stored in Table.DN under that
specific persons information.

Value.Building.911ID =Building 1, Building 2, Building 4, Building 21,
Mill Creek, etc.
Value.Building.911Zone=This has approx. 5 values for each building,
which is the selection that will be returned depending on the result
from the building.
Value.DN.911ID=This is the field that I have the results stored at for
each specific individual user.

Does this help at all to understand what it is I am trying to do!?
0
Goobz
1/15/2008 1:34:12 PM
In that case cbo911Zone is a bound control and is correlated with the unbound
control cboBuilding by referencing it as a parameter in the usual way.  In
the form's Current event procedure, if the form's NewRecord property is False
look up the building for the current 911 zone and assign the value to
cboBuilding, else assign a Null to cboBuilding.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

"Goobz" wrote:

> Yes and no... Here's what I have going on... I'm working on massivly
> cleaning up a database that the person before me had put together,
> which looks basically like an excel spreadsheet on steroids. I've
> already split the database, which users used to work in directly, and
> have to get out of it so the next could get in it, and have everyone
> working off the front end mde file... Here's the layout for my little
> scenario I am working on right now...
>
> Table.DN - This is the table that the values are stored in for
> specific people.
> Form.DN Update - This is the form that is being used, pulling and
> storing values from Table.DN.
> Form.DN Update Subform - This is a poorly built subform, which pulls
> and stores values from Table.TN
>
> Here's what I am trying to do... I will give you the breakdown...
>
> Form.DN - Contains the Combo Boxes.
> cboBuilding - This box has locations which are pulled from
> Table.Building.911ID, and stores Table.Building.911Zone
> cbo911Zone - This will use the value from cboBuilding to bring up
> values based on the result.
> cbo911Zone is the value that needs to be stored in Table.DN under that
> specific persons information.
>

> Value.Building.911ID =Building 1, Building 2, Building 4, Building 21,
> Mill Creek, etc.
> Value.Building.911Zone=This has approx. 5 values for each building,
> which is the selection that will be returned depending on the result
> from the building.
> Value.DN.911ID=This is the field that I have the results stored at for
> each specific individual user.
>
> Does this help at all to understand what it is I am trying to do!?

can another person recieve copies of my e-mails without me know
can another peson rig my outlook to recieve a copy of incoming and outgoing e-mails from my computer without me knowing? Are you in a corporate environment? Or is this on your personal pc? Nikki Peterson "d" <d@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CC861439-B55C-4652-9201-3B4307A74E88@microsoft.com... > can another peson rig my outlook to recieve a copy of incoming and > outgoing > e-mails from my computer without me knowing? depends on your type of account, also whether this is a home PC "d" <d@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Select Records based another table...

Mysterious Text Box Appears
I have a small text the appears on certain cells when I want to select the cell. This text box is annoying and gets in the way of trying to select my cell. I delete it and anther one appears. After deleting about ten of them it goes away. Why are these popping up unexpectantly. Maybe it's an Input Message for a cell with Data Validation. To check, select the cell, and choose Data>Validation. On the Input Message tab, delete the text in the Input Message box, or remove the check mark for 'Show input message when cell is selected' Ron wrote: > I have a small text the a...

Why do multiple circular references affect each other in a worksh.
I am trying to create a mileage tracker for service records, eg. a1=total miles, b1=miles. I would like to enter in the new miles into b1 every time. I found that a circular reference works for this but for only one entry and I have many parts to keep track of. If at all possible I would like to be able to make this work for each part and all on one worksheet. If other worksheets are required for calculation purposes that is fine. Any help is appreciated. Take a look at http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html In article <3BCB94AA-A9B0-4107-BE70-9FB484765739@microsoft.com...

keep a running total of my formula results after each (F9)
How do I keep a running total of my formula results after each time the sheet is calculted, i.e. sheet total, F9, + next sheet total, F9, + next sheet total... etc Thank you I answered my own question. See about accumulators at >>>> http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html "Souvien" wrote: > How do I keep a running total of my formula results after each time the sheet > is calculted, i.e. sheet total, F9, + next sheet total, F9, + next sheet > total... etc > > Thank you ...

3 combo boxes
Ok here is my dilemna. i have a form with 3 combo boxes. The first is a combo box with a name which would populate a list, under this the second combo box would be poulated with a name from another column, but has multiple listing, for example, under John, would be six address, I would then like to choose an address from there, and then populate the 3rd combo box with a listing of items at that address, how can this be done? I am very stuck. Where is all of this information coming from? If it's all stored in tables, then in the AfterUpdate event of the first combo box you would set the...

Outlook 2007 send from one email, get undeliverable that shows ano
I create a new message and send it using one email account (POP3) in Outlook 2007. I get an undeliverable message that shows the sending address (which should be the address I sent the message from) is a totally different address - also POP3. The content of the Undeliverable email is strange as well (this is the total message): ------------------------------------------------------------------ Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: RE: Our Vacation! Sent: 1/10/2010 10:09 AM The following recipient(s) cannot be reached: ...

compare date range with date in columns and input data from another cell
I have a spreadsheet that includes the following: 2 columns (d and e) with a beginning and end date, a column with a dollar amount (rent: g) and. 24 columns across (Jan - Dec for two years:- n - ak). The 24 columns across contain the date ie. (01/01/2012, 02/01/2012, and so on). I am wanting to compare the range of D - E with each column across. When it meets the criteria it will put the amount in G in each column that is BETWEEN the date range. For example: if the beginning date is 01/01/2012 (d), the ending date is 06/01/2013 (e), and rent is $3000 (g), I would like Jan - Dec 2012 and Ja...

controling a .xls from another .xls
does anyone know if it is possible to control one excell file from another. i.e lets say there are two files: a.xls & b.xls in "a.xls" cell A1 we input the number "100", is it possible for this number to automatically be populated in to cell A1 of "b.xls"??? if so how??? thanks guys -- on-a-mission ------------------------------------------------------------------------ on-a-mission's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31630 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=513234 In cell A...

Newbie Installing AdventrueWorksDW2008 in another Drive
Hello I looking forward to learn SQL Server running some tutorials but I got stuck when installing AdventureWorksDW2008 given that my SQL files are in a drive different than C: THis is the error I get, which seems to be a linking problem TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio ------------------------------ Failed to retrieve data for this request. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc) For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&LinkId=20476 ------------------------------ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: An exception occurred while execu...

transferring data from one calendar to another
I finally received a computer at work, after having done all my calendaring for appointments on my home computer for several months. I work in a large school district and the new e-mail system seems to utilize Outlook (the calendar looks identical). Is there a way I can transfer the data from my Outlook (2002) calendar at home to my calendar through the system's network at work? The computer is brand new so I assume that it would be the most recent version of Outlook on the work computer. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it greatly! You can export your calendar to a PST file in...

Linked text boxes created in Excel 2007 are blank in Excel 2003?
I have linked text boxes on charts created in Excel 2007. When I share with Excel 2007 users, they work wonderfully. However, when I save down to Excel 2003, the box is there, but blank. How do I make this work? ...

Passing a value from one form to another
Let me start out by saying I am a neophyte when it comes to Access. I was "volunteered" for this project, so I have to make do with the situation. I am using A2003 on a pc; the application is for data entry of a survey and the db contains one table with eight (8) forms (each being a section of the survey. On the first form is the survey ID; this is the value I need to pass from one form to the next. I navigate to each form via a control button, which I have a macro to close the form you are leaving and open the form you desire. What I need to do is to pass the survey ID from the f...

Refresh a combo box on a sub-form
Hi, While in the main form, I want to requery / refresh a combo box on a sub-form. Ive read a couple of forum discussion concerning this issue and tried them, but it did not work. I'm doing somthing dumb. My main form name is frmFamily My sub-form name is frmFamily-sfMembers The name of the combo box on the frmFamily-sfMembers is cboMemNo While in the main form, I want to have Access requery cboMemNo on the frmFamily-sfMembers. While in the main form, I've tried: Me!frmFamily-sfMembers.Form!cboMemNo.Requery This results in the error message "Acces...

Copy text automatically to another worksheet
How can I apply a function such as "=Worksheet!B6" for a cell containing text (i.e. a name and/or a date) rather than numbers or a function? Did you try it before asking? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "sally" <sally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98CA95E3-39A7-47F0-A033-822037BE8260@microsoft.com... > How can I apply a function such as "=Worksheet!B6" for a cell containing text > (i.e. a name and/or a date) rather than numbers or a function? Sally =Worksheet!B6 works fine with text and dates as well as num...

unable to display #####.ost
Have problems using Outlook 2003. Periodically I get "unable to display the folder. The file ####.ost could not be accessed." Just recently I've got unable to display the folder. "The file ###.ost could not be accessed because another workstation has accessed it. close and restat any web-enabled applications." What could be causing this? the ost is being kept on a NT 4 file server running server protect. my local PC is running w2k and trend antivirus. Sukh You shouldn't be storing your OST on a network share. MS recommends against it since other processes could...

what is the best way to resize test that "best fits" the text box
I just want to know how to resize text to fit the text box. Select the text and reduce the font size until it suits your requirements. There is no automatic function for this. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "utahjohn" <utahjohn@discussions.microsof...

Phone # in Combo Box not Formatting
I just added a new combo box to my form to look up an account by their phone number. It seems to be working correctly except for 1 thing - the number shows up without the brackets ( ) and dashes - . When I look at the table it is formatted correctly and when I look at the query it is formatted correctly but when I pull up my form and the combo box it just shows the numbers. I have the following input mask on my combo box - !\(999") "000\-0000;;_ I have another Access program that has the same type of combo box in it and it is working fine and I can't see any differences...

Password not working on one machine
This is very bizarre. I have an excel document that is password protected and can be open by everyone except for this one computer. It's saying that the password is not correct. It doesn't matter who is logged in so it tells me it's computer specific. I have tried a different keyboard, with no luck...any suggestions would be great. I used to walk over to a co-worker's desk and turn off the capslock button. Could it be something that simple? M. Lord wrote: > > This is very bizarre. I have an excel document that is password protected > and can be open by e...

How do I set up a banner so that it saves in one piece
I've been trying to save a banner in Micro. Publish. in one piece, so that I can forward it to a professional printer, however, the document keep saving in panels, which is no good for anyone. Does your printer have a setting for creating banners? Take a look in your Printer Setup. -- Don ------- Vancouver, USA "Derek R." <Derek R. @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5023AD8F-A31E-4043-83A4-FE364382D2C3@microsoft.com... > I've been trying to save a banner in Micro. Publish. in one piece, so that > I > can forward it to a professional p...

Copy column from one sheet to another
I'm keeping grades in multiple worksheets in the same workbook. I'd like to copy the column showing the total of the weekly grades (using the SUM formula) on worksheet 2 to the column on worksheet 1 for that assignment (worksheet 1 reflects all the assignments which is why I just need the sum). When I simply do a copy and paste, I get #REF in the 'weekly' column and in the 'total' and 'grade' columns (total is the total of all assignments, grade is a series of if, then statements so I end up with A, B, C etc). How do I do this to just get the number and...

Different results from counts ... why?
I may be getting my objects mixed up here, but this is the situation. I have a document that has three sections. Each section has a different header and footer with a different number linked images and other shapes in it. The heading and footer used in an entire section is the same - no variations for first page or numbered pages in that section. When I count the number of shapes in each header/footer using the Count property on the Shapes object, it tells me there are 16 shapes in each. This is not correct, it is 16 for the entire document, so why is it not specific for each ...

Forms Results in Excel
Does anyone have an idea how I can get the results for a form in FrontPage to be put into Excel? med211 I don't have FP installed right now I seem to remember you could export to Excel. I would suggest first looking in FP help on exporting to other applications. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 22:39:40 -0600, "med211" <jkerry@charter.net> wrote: >Does anyone have an idea how I can get the results for a form in FrontPage >to be put into Excel? > >med211 > ...

[WSS 3] Increase search results
Hi All, How can I increase the number of search results per page? Thanks a lot in advance You can`t edit default searchresults.aspx pages in WSS. But, you can control number of search results in MOSS Enterprise search. 1. Move to Results.aspx page 2. Actions>Edit page 3. Search core results >edit>modify shared web part>Results display/views>Results per page value. "Lp12" wrote: > Hi All, > How can I increase the number of search results per page? > Thanks a lot in advance ...

Getting the max date after filtering out the deleted ones
Hello i have a little problem. my tblServiceReports has 3 fields that i need to manipulate. the fields are ProductID, ServiceReportDate and SRDateDeleted i also have a ServiceReportID field as the key for the table. each product in my db can have one to many service reports. what i am trying to do is create a query that pulls the max date for the service report so that i can show the last time the product was serviced. there is a catch, cause i know you think that what i just asked how to do in the last paragraph was easy. i also need to filter out bad data. what? filter BAD data, w...