Requery combo box problem (error 2118)

This is a question about an Access 2000 database.

I'm going to ask the question in the way that I'm trying to get it to
work, but if there seems like there is a better design to avoid the
problem altogether that I haven't thought of, please mention it.

I have a form (lets say Form1) with a field that uses a combo box that
draws its data from table tblMachines.  If the user searches through
the combo box for a particular choice and doesn't find it, the user
would then open up another form (Form2), which directly shows data
from table tblMachines.  There, the user can add a new record (or
change an existing one), save it, and close Form2 and have the new
item available in the combo box now.

This works fine for what I have right now, with just a
Form1.Combobox.Requery on the Form2's AfterUpdate event.  The problem
occurs when a user starts to edit the combobox field, then figures out
the option that the user wants is not there, and so proceeds through
the steps to change it.  In this scenario, after the AfterUpdate runs,
I get the error:

2118: You must save the current field before you run the 'Requery'
action

To solve this problem I have Form1 save before the Form2's AfterUpdate
event.  However this caused more problems, since the field the
combobox was for was a primary field, and gives error messages that
primary fields are null.

Seems like I'm stuck in a pickle between choice A and B, both with
pros and cons.  Any suggestions?

-1
gd
8/15/2007 5:56:15 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197526/en-us
Use NotInList Event to Add a Record to Combo Box

http://mvps.org/access/forms/frm0015.htm
Forms: Add item to combo box using OnNotinList event

HTH,

"gd" <gdoe87@gmail.com> wrote in message
> This is a question about an Access 2000 database.
>
> I'm going to ask the question in the way that I'm trying to get it to
> work, but if there seems like there is a better design to avoid the
> problem altogether that I haven't thought of, please mention it.
>
> I have a form (lets say Form1) with a field that uses a combo box that
> draws its data from table tblMachines.  If the user searches through
> the combo box for a particular choice and doesn't find it, the user
> would then open up another form (Form2), which directly shows data
> from table tblMachines.  There, the user can add a new record (or
> change an existing one), save it, and close Form2 and have the new
> item available in the combo box now.
>
> This works fine for what I have right now, with just a
> Form1.Combobox.Requery on the Form2's AfterUpdate event.  The problem
> occurs when a user starts to edit the combobox field, then figures out
> the option that the user wants is not there, and so proceeds through
> the steps to change it.  In this scenario, after the AfterUpdate runs,
> I get the error:
>
> 2118: You must save the current field before you run the 'Requery'
> action
>
> To solve this problem I have Form1 save before the Form2's AfterUpdate
> event.  However this caused more problems, since the field the
> combobox was for was a primary field, and gives error messages that
> primary fields are null.
>
> Seems like I'm stuck in a pickle between choice A and B, both with
> pros and cons.  Any suggestions?

0
George
8/15/2007 6:12:25 PM
On Aug 15, 2:12 pm, "George Nicholson" <GeorgeNJ...@Junkmsn.com>
wrote:
> Use NotInList Event to Add a Record to Combo Box
>
> http://mvps.org/access/forms/frm0015.htm
> Forms: Add item to combo box using OnNotinList event
>
> HTH,
>
> "gd" <gdo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > This is a question about an Access 2000 database.
>
> > I'm going to ask the question in the way that I'm trying to get it to
> > work, but if there seems like there is a better design to avoid the
> > problem altogether that I haven't thought of, please mention it.
>
> > I have a form (lets say Form1) with a field that uses a combo box that
> > draws its data from table tblMachines.  If the user searches through
> > the combo box for a particular choice and doesn't find it, the user
> > would then open up another form (Form2), which directly shows data
> > from table tblMachines.  There, the user can add a new record (or
> > change an existing one), save it, and close Form2 and have the new
> > item available in the combo box now.
>
> > This works fine for what I have right now, with just a
> > Form1.Combobox.Requery on the Form2's AfterUpdate event.  The problem
> > occurs when a user starts to edit the combobox field, then figures out
> > the option that the user wants is not there, and so proceeds through
> > the steps to change it.  In this scenario, after the AfterUpdate runs,
> > I get the error:
>
> > 2118: You must save the current field before you run the 'Requery'
> > action
>
> > To solve this problem I have Form1 save before the Form2's AfterUpdate
> > event.  However this caused more problems, since the field the
> > combobox was for was a primary field, and gives error messages that
> > primary fields are null.
>
> > Seems like I'm stuck in a pickle between choice A and B, both with
> > pros and cons.  Any suggestions?

Hey George, thanks for the reply.

Both of those methods involve just adding whatever the user types into
the combo box.  I'd rather not have that, and I'd prefer if the user
added the record through the other form.  My whole database is built
upon that kind of system and I'd have to make a lot of changes I think
if I used a method like that.

0
gd
8/15/2007 7:11:32 PM
Substitute your "Open Form, let user add record, etc." method, for the "open
recordset, add record" portions of those routines.

>>Seems like I'm stuck in a pickle between choice A and B, both with
>> pros and cons. Any suggestions?

My (unspoken) point was to not reinvent the wheel. The NotInList event was
intended to allow exactly what you are trying to do via other means: put
data entry on hold while an addition is made to the combo's source table
(regardless of the method used to make that addition), so that the new item
becomes a legal selection.

Specifically, the Form1 combo requery (which is causing you problems) is
handled by acDataErrAdded:

(from the VBA Help file)
"acDataErrAdded: Doesn't display a message to the user but enables you to
add the entry to the combo box list in the NotInList event procedure. After
the entry is added, Microsoft Access updates the list by requerying the
combo box. Microsoft Access then rechecks the string against the combo box
list, and saves the value in the NewData argument in the field the combo box
is bound to."

This is the built-in method that allows you to side-step the "You must save
the current field before you run the 'Requery' action" error.

> On Aug 15, 2:12 pm, "George Nicholson" <GeorgeNJ...@Junkmsn.com>
> wrote:
>> Use NotInList Event to Add a Record to Combo Box
>>
>> http://mvps.org/access/forms/frm0015.htm
>> Forms: Add item to combo box using OnNotinList event
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> "gd" <gdo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > This is a question about an Access 2000 database.
>>
>> > I'm going to ask the question in the way that I'm trying to get it to
>> > work, but if there seems like there is a better design to avoid the
>> > problem altogether that I haven't thought of, please mention it.
>>
>> > I have a form (lets say Form1) with a field that uses a combo box that
>> > draws its data from table tblMachines.  If the user searches through
>> > the combo box for a particular choice and doesn't find it, the user
>> > would then open up another form (Form2), which directly shows data
>> > from table tblMachines.  There, the user can add a new record (or
>> > change an existing one), save it, and close Form2 and have the new
>> > item available in the combo box now.
>>
>> > This works fine for what I have right now, with just a
>> > Form1.Combobox.Requery on the Form2's AfterUpdate event.  The problem
>> > occurs when a user starts to edit the combobox field, then figures out
>> > the option that the user wants is not there, and so proceeds through
>> > the steps to change it.  In this scenario, after the AfterUpdate runs,
>> > I get the error:
>>
>> > 2118: You must save the current field before you run the 'Requery'
>> > action
>>
>> > To solve this problem I have Form1 save before the Form2's AfterUpdate
>> > event.  However this caused more problems, since the field the
>> > combobox was for was a primary field, and gives error messages that
>> > primary fields are null.
>>
>> > Seems like I'm stuck in a pickle between choice A and B, both with
>> > pros and cons.  Any suggestions?
>
> Hey George, thanks for the reply.
>
> Both of those methods involve just adding whatever the user types into
> the combo box.  I'd rather not have that, and I'd prefer if the user
> added the record through the other form.  My whole database is built
> upon that kind of system and I'd have to make a lot of changes I think
> if I used a method like that.

0
George
8/15/2007 7:48:15 PM
On Aug 15, 3:48 pm, "George Nicholson" <GeorgeNJ...@Junkmsn.com>
wrote:
> Substitute your "Open Form, let user add record, etc." method, for the "open
> recordset, add record" portions of those routines.
>
> >>Seems like I'm stuck in a pickle between choice A and B, both with
> >> pros and cons. Any suggestions?
>
> My (unspoken) point was to not reinvent the wheel. The NotInList event was
> intended to allow exactly what you are trying to do via other means: put
> data entry on hold while an addition is made to the combo's source table
> (regardless of the method used to make that addition), so that the new item
> becomes a legal selection.
>
> Specifically, the Form1 combo requery (which is causing you problems) is
> handled by acDataErrAdded:
>
> (from the VBA Help file)
> "acDataErrAdded: Doesn't display a message to the user but enables you to
> add the entry to the combo box list in the NotInList event procedure. After
> the entry is added, Microsoft Access updates the list by requerying the
> combo box. Microsoft Access then rechecks the string against the combo box
> list, and saves the value in the NewData argument in the field the combo box
> is bound to."
>
> This is the built-in method that allows you to side-step the "You must save
> the current field before you run the 'Requery' action" error.
>
> HTH,
>
> "gd" <gdo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Aug 15, 2:12 pm, "George Nicholson" <GeorgeNJ...@Junkmsn.com>
> > wrote:
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197526/en-us
> >> Use NotInList Event to Add a Record to Combo Box
>
> >>http://mvps.org/access/forms/frm0015.htm
> >> Forms: Add item to combo box using OnNotinList event
>
> >> HTH,
>
> >> "gd" <gdo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hey George, thanks for the reply.
>
> > Both of those methods involve just adding whatever the user types into
> > the combo box.  I'd rather not have that, and I'd prefer if the user
> > added the record through the other form.  My whole database is built
> > upon that kind of system and I'd have to make a lot of changes I think
> > if I used a method like that.

Hey George,

It sounds like a good alternative but heres my issue with that.  The
choices in the combo box the user selects from are just one field (the
primary key) of another record.  I don't want the user to just add
another record by primary key and leave all the other fields blank,
since there are many other fields and they are very important.  Its
not as simple as a "Status" or something where I could see this method
to be really useful.  I wanted the user to fill out the entire record
if the situation came up where another would need to be added, hence
the reason for wanting Form2 to pop up.

0
gd
8/15/2007 8:25:16 PM
We are both repeating ourselves. You can open your form, I've never
suggested otherwise.

Once again: use the NotInList event to open Form2. The code in the provided
links uses a slightly different method (just adding a single value), but
there is no reason I know of that you can't replace that method with the one
you want to use. The key element is that you should be *using the NotInList
event and acDataErrAdded response* if you want to avoid the "You must save
the current field before you run the 'Requery' action".

You'll need to heavily modify the NotInList sample code to your situation,
but the general methodology of how to do what you are trying to do without
raising an error is right there.

> On Aug 15, 3:48 pm, "George Nicholson" <GeorgeNJ...@Junkmsn.com>
> wrote:
>> Substitute your "Open Form, let user add record, etc." method, for the
>> "open
>> recordset, add record" portions of those routines.

>> My (unspoken) point was to not reinvent the wheel. The NotInList event
>> was
>> intended to allow exactly what you are trying to do via other means: put
>> data entry on hold while an addition is made to the combo's source table
>> (regardless of the method used to make that addition), so that the new
>> item
>> becomes a legal selection.
>>
>> Specifically, the Form1 combo requery (which is causing you problems) is
>> handled by acDataErrAdded:
>>
>> (from the VBA Help file)
>> "acDataErrAdded: Doesn't display a message to the user but enables you to
>> add the entry to the combo box list in the NotInList event procedure.
>> After
>> the entry is added, Microsoft Access updates the list by requerying the
>> combo box. Microsoft Access then rechecks the string against the combo
>> box
>> list, and saves the value in the NewData argument in the field the combo
>> box
>> is bound to."
>>
>> This is the built-in method that allows you to side-step the "You must
>> save
>> the current field before you run the 'Requery' action" error.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> "gd" <gdo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Hey George, thanks for the reply.
>>
>> > Both of those methods involve just adding whatever the user types into
>> > the combo box.  I'd rather not have that, and I'd prefer if the user
>> > added the record through the other form.  My whole database is built
>> > upon that kind of system and I'd have to make a lot of changes I think
>> > if I used a method like that.
>
> Hey George,
>
> It sounds like a good alternative but heres my issue with that.  The
> choices in the combo box the user selects from are just one field (the
> primary key) of another record.  I don't want the user to just add
> another record by primary key and leave all the other fields blank,
> since there are many other fields and they are very important.  Its
> not as simple as a "Status" or something where I could see this method
> to be really useful.  I wanted the user to fill out the entire record
> if the situation came up where another would need to be added, hence
> the reason for wanting Form2 to pop up.

0
George

error in importing data
Sorry the error is 0x8004032d ...

DDP (Drop down Box)
i have a front sheet that has data input onto it, this then feeds into sheets Monday thru Sunday, I would like to print data on occassions and have decided to creat a form for this option, what i dont want to do is allow users access to the data on the pages then print, am looking for a safe way to do this and decided a form, drop down box, selecting the day of the week to be printed and this would print the required data, Any idea of the code for example, Selecting Monday in the Drop down box, would then print the Sheet "Mon" Tuesday in DDB would then print "Tue" and s...

Failed to customize the dialog box of toolbar
I cannot fill the left-hand list box of toolbar's dialog box,and if I delete one button in toolbar,I lost it. Below is my code: [code] #include <windows.h> #include <commctrl.h> #include "resource.h" #define ID_TOOLBAR 20001 static char *szAppName = "Study Toolbar" ; LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc( HWND, UINT, WPARAM, LPARAM ) ; TBBUTTON tbButtons[] = { {STD_FILENEW, IDM_FILE_NEW, TBSTATE_ENABLED, TBSTYLE_BUTTON | BTNS_SHOWTEXT, 0, 0}, // 1 {STD_FILEOPEN, IDM_FILE_OPEN, TBSTATE_ENABLED, TBSTYLE_BUTTON, 0, 0}, // 2 {STD_FILESAVE, IDM_FILE_SAVE, TBSTATE...

Error Message #31
One of my spreadsheets will not open. I get an error message that says: Program error. what causes this and can I retrieve my spreadsheet? But other workbooks will open ok? If yes, the first thing I'd do is try to find a voluteer that could try to open it on their pc. If that didn't work, sometimes you can recover your file by opening in saving in a later version of excel. Other times, openoffice can open files that excel can't. http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD Firefli wrote: > > One of my spreadsheets will not open. I get an error message that...

Runtime Error 2001 you canceled the previous operation
Dear all Eperts I have write VBA code like this Private Sub calenstart_Click() Me.Filter = "startdate='" & calenstart.Value & "'" Me.FilterOn = True End Sub when i click on my calendar it show message error Runtime Error 2001 you canceled the previous operation I can't fix it, what something wrong. Help me Thanks The message means that the filter string is not valid. Consequently, the next operation (applying the filter) fails. Presumably startdate is the name of a date/time field. Here are some reasons why it could fail: a) you used ' inste...

Exchange 2003 SP1 Install Error
When I try to install E2003 SP1 I get the error: EventType exchangesetuperror, P1 6_5_7226_0, P2 update, P3 microsoft exchange messaging and collaboration services, P4 install, P5 e0070101, P6 _null_, P7 1, P8 NIL, P9 NIL, P10 NI The log says it cannot find a file but I can't tell which file it's looking for. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks ...

GP 10 WorkFlow Error 05-27-10
Hi I am receiving an error in GP 10 WorkFlow. At the end the workflow fails with the error. "An error has occurred in the Approval Status". Would be very helpful if any lead could be provided. I googled around but no solution was specified to this error. Kindly Advise. Following is the Content of the Event Log Action: SubmitForApproval Current User LogOnName: FZE\Administrator Input parameters: <RequestObjects> <ArrayOfBusinessObjectSubmissionInformation xmlns:xsi="http:// www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www...

error 2147217865
I am experiencing an Error message on my second station when trying to post a transaction, usually the first or second after I open Store Operation Pos. My main data is sitting on first station. This is the error msg in Full. Error 214721865 Cannot Drop the Table # Temp Because it does not exist in System Cat Log (Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server) (SQL State:40502 Native Error 3701) Select GetDate ( ) As Current Date Time I am unable to find this error on customer source Can you post cause and RESOLUTION ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Micros...

Script error in IE8
When I am trying to use the general search function in Win XP sp3 (all recent updates) from the start menu, I get the following error message: An error has occurred in the script on this page Line: 38 Char: 5 Error: permission denied Code: 0 URL: http://ie.search.msn.com/sa/5_12_0_512943/srchasst.js Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? Yes or No What could I do to correct this? "jiger" <jiger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54E2513A-6273-41CA-A429-46C1F995B995@microsoft.com... > [Subject: Script error in IE8] ...

Problem in Reply

Comments problem
I've created a number of comments. When I position the comments where I want them, they only reflect their positions on "Show" or "Edit" comment. All the comments default to the same relationship to the cells when you pass over them. This is a problem because I've also used data vaildation (with lists) on these cells and you can't display the comment with the list pulled down at the same time because the comments are tool close to the validated cell. Thanks in adavance. The comment usually appears to the right of the cell, and should still allow you to see t...

code problem
Hi this is a follow on to a previous thread (Copy Macro) We are now successfully creating a new Workbook using the code below. With ActiveWorkbook FName = .Path & "\code.txt" .VBProject.VBComponents("Module2_sort").Export FName End With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(Array("Supplier Concerns")).Copy ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="c:\Week\testing" & strFileName & ".xls" ActiveWorkbook.VBProject.VBComponents.Import FName Problem is when we open the new Workbook and run the macro the code defaults ba...

VBA Help problem
I'm using Office 2003 SP3 on Win 2000 SP4. When I use VBA help, if thee are hyperlinks on the page I get a popup with the following error: "Runtime error has occurred" Line 16: Error: not implemented If I choose debug from this dialog box I am taken to a script and another error popup: "htmlfile: Not implemented" there is a yellow arrow at the line: "document.onclick = window.parent.closeList" Am I missing a reference somewhere in VBA or is this a more serious problem? The Windows 2000 install has been around a long time... I've ...

Office assistant error...
Hi, Having an issue on a standardised platform of XP with Office 2000 (SR2) and Outlook 2003. Users experiencing an error when starting Office Assistant - "The office assistant could not be started." The recommendation is to repair the office installation. Have attempted this as well as a reinstallation of Office 2000 and Outlook 2003, all to no avail. The error is sporadic but is occuring often enough to warrant this post! Anybody out there got some suggestions? Cheers, Darren Kukulka Systems Manager Beacon Technology ...

Printing problem from Excel 2007

Excel Mail Merger Problem
When merging excel with word for..my currrency field is dropping off zeros to the right of decimal point..if field has $ 56.03, it imports correctly, but if it is $56.00, it comes in as $56, if it is $56.30, it comes in as $56.3...this process is for invoices..any advice (I've tried everything)? Debra Dalgleish has given the following reply in newsgroups http://google.com/groups?threadm=3EBB0685.5080002%40contextures.com and has also identified the following MS KB articles in such as : http://google.com/groups?threadm=3DFA8DA8.6000209%40contextures.com 304387 - WD: Date, Phone N...

error messages
Every time I use my email, I get an error message that I need to close and send report to microsoft. I have tried the process of eliminationg add-ons and remove third party addons . I have also ran the complete scan to locate the problem but the problem still exists. "Cottontop" <Cottontop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE8C3F3F-FD22-4D34-9A8E-48C23567FFAD@microsoft.com... > Every time I use my email, I get an error message that I need to close and > send report to microsoft. I have tried the process of eliminationg > add-ons >...

synchronising problem with Sony NWZ-S545
Up until recently i could sync tracks/albums etc to my sony S545 MP3. now when i try and drag tracks to the sync folder then click start sync the mp3 player just freezes, WMP states "processing" but nothing happens. Have searched the web for a solution but nothing. done sysem restore etc etc. I guess it must be a recent update but what one? Its a pain in the backside and hope someone can help "Wookywoo" wrote: > Up until recently i could sync tracks/albums etc to my sony S545 MP3. now > when i try and drag tracks to the sync folder then click s...

I am converting lotus123 files to excel2002. One problem is that in lotus, literals are ignored when found in a cell within a formula. Excel on the other hand is not doing this and therefore causing #value errors on all the formulas where this occurs. Is there a way to handle this in excel other than manually having to change all the formulas? ...

Contract
When I attempt to Invoice a Contract, I get the following error: <description>The service address of the contract is invalid.</description><details>The service address is invalid, this contract can not be set to invoice state.</details> Does anyone know what the issue/error could be? Hi Kathy, Not sure about service address, but check if the contact address and bill-to address for the contract has been set. To invoice a contract both these addresses are required. Hope this helps! Sam _______________ Inogic Innovative Logic Innovative solutions for your SME E...

Error in Detailed Sales Report
Dear All, Have you encountered a strange scenario wherein in your shop you have sold 1 item in that particular invoice/receipt # but when it got connected and process the WS401 and when you run the detailed report in HQ level , it was added up with some items which is not in the original shop transactions. Example.. Store A Trx # item Qty 1023 apple 2 in HQ Store Trx# Item Qty A 1023 apple 2 A 1023 orange 3 A 1023 banana 2 Which in the store A transaction, those items where not in that trasaction but somehow when it was connected and process...

Backup error Access Denied
I have been recieving the following error message for a while and can't figure out how to fix it. It is only happening on one mailbox. "Backup - \\MBMAIL\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes Access denied to file Jhon Doe [jdoe]Top of Information StoreSync IssuesServer FailuresMail Delivery (failure jdoe@xyz.com)." Help Please Can you access the mailbox from a mail client? If so, you can use mdbvu to look at the Top of the Information store folder, and delete the message in there. If you cannot access the mailbox, then I have seen it where some users think they are ...

Installation of KB970430 Failed, Error 800B0100
Tried to install KB970430 automatically and manually and failed. Received error 800B0100 which took me to System Update Readiness Tool and in to an apparent circle. Using Windows Vista. jtm wrote: > Tried to install KB970430 automatically and manually and failed. Received > error 800B0100 which took me to System Update Readiness Tool and in to an > apparent circle. Using Windows Vista. Suggest you clean boot Vista and then try to run the System Update Readiness Tool (CheckSUR) again: How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in...