Reports - Difficuly in displaying data from fields and forms

Greetings,

If i have a combo box on a form that runs a report, can i reference hidden
columns form it ( Im assuming as I only pass in the bound column, probably
not) ??
e.g.
=[Forms]![frmstudentletter]![cbostudentid]![Column](1)

Doesnt like the above ..

And how can I concatenate fields? It doesnt like

=[FirstName] & " " & [SurName]

Cheers
Rob

0
Rob
2/25/2008 11:01:12 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:01:12 -0000, Rob W wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> If i have a combo box on a form that runs a report, can i reference hidden
> columns form it ( Im assuming as I only pass in the bound column, probably
> not) ??
> e.g.
> =[Forms]![frmstudentletter]![cbostudentid]![Column](1)
>
> Doesnt like the above ..

Statements like "it doesn't like" do not help us understand what your
problem is.
What happens?
Do you get an #Error or #Name error?
Do you get incorrect values?
No values?
Do you get prompted to enter a value?
What?

I'll take a guess....

=Forms!FormName!ComboName.Column(1)

Note: Combo boxes are zero based, so Column(1) is the 2nd column.
The Combo box's 2nd column on the one record displayed on the form
will be shown in the report, but the form MUST BE OPEN when the report
is run.

> And how can I concatenate fields? It doesnt like

Once again, 'doesn't like' doesn't help!

> =[FirstName] & " " & [SurName]

To concatenate fields, both fields must be included in the report's
record source and in the report.

=[FirstName] & " " & [SurName]

Make sure that the Name of this control is NOT the same as the name of
any field in it's control source expression.

--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:01:12 -0000, "Rob W" <Whllrob@aol.com> wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>If i have a combo box on a form that runs a report, can i reference hidden
>columns form it ( Im assuming as I only pass in the bound column, probably
>not) ??
>e.g.
>=[Forms]![frmstudentletter]![cbostudentid]![Column](1)
>
>Doesnt like the above ..

You're aware that (1) refers to the *second* column, right? It's zero based.
Also, replace the final ! with a . and remove the brackets around Column; it's
the Column *property* of the combo that you want, and a period is the proper
delimiter for properties.

>And how can I concatenate fields? It doesnt like
>
>=[FirstName] & " " & [SurName]

"Doesn't like"?

Are FirstName and SurName fields which exist in the query, or in the table
upon which the query is based?
--
             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Sorry for being so vague.

Im getting #ERROR message on report out.

The control source AND the name for the fields are the table fields
FirstName & Surname, the report is based on a query selecting table fields
FirstName & Surname.

Hope this is clear this time.
Apologies

Rob

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:01:12 -0000, "Rob W" <Whllrob@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>Greetings,
>>
>>If i have a combo box on a form that runs a report, can i reference hidden
>>columns form it ( Im assuming as I only pass in the bound column, probably
>>not) ??
>>e.g.
>>=[Forms]![frmstudentletter]![cbostudentid]![Column](1)
>>
>>Doesnt like the above ..
>
> You're aware that (1) refers to the *second* column, right? It's zero
> based.
> Also, replace the final ! with a . and remove the brackets around Column;
> it's
> the Column *property* of the combo that you want, and a period is the
> proper
> delimiter for properties.
>

>>And how can I concatenate fields? It doesnt like
>>
>>=[FirstName] & " " & [SurName]
>
> "Doesn't like"?
>
> Are FirstName and SurName fields which exist in the query, or in the table
> upon which the query is based?
> --
>             John W. Vinson [MVP]

0
Rob
2/26/2008 1:09:45 AM
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 01:09:45 -0000, "Rob W" <Whllrob@aol.com> wrote:

>Ive sorted out the combo box problem, thanks to BOTH replies.
>
>Sorry for being so vague.
>
>Im getting #ERROR message on report out.
>
>The control source AND the name for the fields are the table fields
>FirstName & Surname, the report is based on a query selecting table fields
>FirstName & Surname.

Change the name of the control, I'd say! Access can get confused if there is a
field named SurName and also a control named SurName. Try naming the controls
txtSurName say, and use the fieldnames in the controlsource.

You may also want to consider using a calculated field in the report's
Recordsource query by typing

FullName: [FirstName] & " " & [SurName]

in a vacant field cell, and using FullName as the control source of a textbox.
--
             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 01:09:45 -0000, Rob W wrote:

> Ive sorted out the combo box problem, thanks to BOTH replies.
>
> Sorry for being so vague.
>
> Im getting #ERROR message on report out.
>
> The control source AND the name for the fields are the table fields
> FirstName & Surname, the report is based on a query selecting table fields
> FirstName & Surname.
>
> Hope this is clear this time.
> Apologies
>
> Rob
*** snipped ***

Clear as mud to me.
What is the actual name of this CONTROL?
It must not be "FirstName" nor "SurName".

If an Access control has the same name as the name of a field used in
it's control source expression, Access get's confused.

--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.
I do not reply to personal e-mail
0
fredg

open two different Access reports

forward to: field
Hi Everyone, im looking for the AD attribute in which the 'forward to:' field of the delivery options is stored. Thank you in advance kind regards marc -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ Its in the altRecipient attribute. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Marc Wenger" <haga(at).iesg--nspm-noa9h.gmx.ch> wrote in message news:opr64hs7z6fyi4rt@news.microsoft.com... > Hi Everyone, > > im looking for the AD attribute in which the 'forward to:' field of ...

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook

Word2007. Checkbox. No Form

Display of UML State Transition Event
Dear Group, I am attempting to use the UML Statechart with a couple of states and a transition between them. I select properties, Events, Change Event type, say, and can see ChangeEvent1 in the property window but... ....when I Ok back to the drawing the ChangeEvent1 is not displayed by the transition. I can enter actions in a similar way and they are displayed. How cna I get the event visible too in the drawing? Surely this is the most important aspect of a transition i.e. what caused it, regards, Colin Smith ...

Getting the BCC field by default.

Input to custom reports

Customer check data

Macro to seperate data

Need HELP! for Linking data

COUNTIF on Summary Fields
Can't use on a cell that "sums" with arithmetic operators "+". Is there a workaround, etc.? a bit more explanation? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "DLC" <dlcopesr@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:117v954kaf4s2f6@corp.supernews.com... > Can't use on a cell that "sums" with arithmetic operators "+". Is there a > workaround, etc.? > > ...

Macro

macros entering data

Help about numeric type field. Thanks.