Record Locking 03-17-10

For a Ms Access 2003 Db, Split, multi-user (10 users or so) in a peer-2-peer
environment.

I read that it can be beneficial to remove record locking on the forms and
am confused?!

I thought edited record was what should be setup.  Why not?  If you remove
it, then how are updates managed in the rare even 2 user work on the same
record?

Thank you for the clarifications.

QB
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

"QB" <QB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For a Ms Access 2003 Db, Split, multi-user (10 users or so) in a
> peer-2-peer
> environment.
>
> I read that it can be beneficial to remove record locking on the forms and
> am confused?!
>
> I thought edited record was what should be setup.  Why not?  If you remove
> it, then how are updates managed in the rare event 2 user work on the same
> record?

If you remove record locking, then Access still checks for conflicts when
the user saves an edited record. Access will check that the current record
data matches the original record data retrieved when that user's Access last
read the data. If any of the data has changed, that means someone else made
the change. Access prompts the user to discard their changes or to overwrite
the other user's changes. I don't think either of those is a good outcome,
so I agree with you that locking the edited record is a good compromise.

You can test these features by opening 2 copies of your db on your own
computer simultaneously. Display the same record on both copies, and then
begin editing both copies. Save one copy, and see what happens when you try
to save the second one. Do the same both with and without edited record
locking, and you can choose what you want to do with your users.

0
Paul
3/17/2010 11:32:37 PM
Thank you for your reponse.

But now I am even more confused regarding the entire record locking
process...  If Access is still going to perform a check regardless of whether
I specify edited record locking or no locking, what is the point of ever
setting the record locking property?

As you state, I will need to perform a couple test to hopefully grasp the
subtle differences between the various settings.

Thank you once again,

QB

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 07:44:16 -0700, QB <QB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>But now I am even more confused regarding the entire record locking
>process...  If Access is still going to perform a check regardless of whether
>I specify edited record locking or no locking, what is the point of ever
>setting the record locking property?

The difference is WHEN the user gets the feedback. If the record is locked,
they'll get an error when they first start to try to edit the record. If not,
they'll spend their time carefully editing in their new data... and then get
their hand slapped at the end of the process, saying "nyah nyah, you can't do
that, someone else got there first" (a bit more politely but still...)
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

It used to be the case that optimistic locking was pretty much de rigueur as
Access did not provide true record locking, but only page locking, which
meant other records besides the current one could be locked.  Nowadays true
record locking makes this reason obsolete, so the case for pessimistic
locking is much stronger.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

QB wrote:
>Thank you for your reponse.
>
>But now I am even more confused regarding the entire record locking
>process...  If Access is still going to perform a check regardless of whether
>I specify edited record locking or no locking, what is the point of ever
>setting the record locking property?
>
>As you state, I will need to perform a couple test to hopefully grasp the
>subtle differences between the various settings.
>
>Thank you once again,
>
>QB
>
>> > For a Ms Access 2003 Db, Split, multi-user (10 users or so) in a
>> > peer-2-peer
>[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]
>>
>> .

KenSheridan

crystal reports 9.2.2 02-03-04
I have been working on customizing reports. After I upgraded crm to 1.2 I can no longer access my reports. I tried to install the crystal repors enhancement for 1.2. I am getting an error that I am using crystal reports 9.2.0 and I need to upgrade to 9.2.2? I had crystal reports 9.0 professional edition installed on my computer also. I removed that and then tried to install the crm 1.2 crystal reports enhancement and I am getting the same errors. Please help. Thank you It seems that CRM requires a very specific version of crystal reports ie 9.2.2 Microsoft have told me that you ...

Windows mail problem 07-16-10
Tried to log into my optonline account and received the following message: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.optonline.net', Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Can anyone decipher this for me? What is the issue? You should not be using advanced ports or SSL, see http://optimum.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/optimum.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2397&p_created=1237397986&p_sid=ZbGnw*4k&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZ...

RESOURCE USAGE 03-21-10
I work with a calendar that is setting 9 hours work/day for all the resources. In the resource usage I see that more than 8 hours of work is shown in red, but also sometimes all kinds of hours like 4.5, 5.6, 4.8 hs is red as well, even though is a normal working day. What is going on here???? txs A couple of things: 1) Are you sure the resource calendars are also set to 9 hours per day? If not, they would show up overallocated when assigned to 9 hours of tasks. 2) Project calculates overallocations to the minute. If you have two tasks, both assigned to the same resource...

Windows installer problem 04-08-10
Hi All, After login to windows xp, on screen displayed windows installer and nothing showing on screen .Any reply will be appreciated. Best regards Anji Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. Was the computer fully patched at Windows Update when this problem started? What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a(another)...

Scroll Lock mode locked + SCRL blinking
When opening Excel XP, it is in Scroll Lock mode and 'SCRL' is blinking rapidly at the bottom right of the screen. I have not been able to turn off the Scroll Lock mode. This is a notebook Compaq EVO N800c. I have tried Fn+F12 with no success. Rebooting does not change the situation. Richard Nault ...

$10,000 a week, as much as $40,000 a month or even up to $500,000 a year!
1) Though multi-level Marketing has been near and dear to many for more than 50 years, 95% of those who trusted it have failed. 2) They failed because most people simply cannot close sales. Without closing they cannot recruit. 3) Without recruiting, duplication cannot happen. Even the 5% who CAN recruit cannot achieve their full potential without duplication. 4) None of the hype, recruiting systems, replicated websites, interruption marketing, sexy products, exotic compensation plans, training kits, books, tapes, seminars, conference calls, or "heavy hitters" have been able to...

lock formulas
Is there a way to lock the formulas on a series of linked excel spreadsheets so the formulas can't accidentally be deleted? I have it set up so that 4 identical spreadsheets with 12 tabs feed into one other spreadsheet and want to lock all the formulas. Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks! Dooma You can select which cells to lock and then enable worksheet protection. By default all cells on a sheet are locked when sheet protection is enabled. Hit CRTL + A(twice for 2003 users) to select all cells. Format>Cells>Protection. Uncheck "locked" and OK out. Now s...

Lock and Unlock cells using VBA
Hello All Anyone know how to lock cells using VBA, also unlock others currently locked. Page protection will be in use at the time this needs to be done. Also, is there anywhere on the net with a complete list of VBA functions, including a short statement of what each one does, with or without examples. If not, any good books that cover the above area. I'm really (strange as it might seem), enjoying playing with VBA and seeing exactly what it can do. Regards Peter The easy questions... Excel's Help is a very good source. take a look at Peter Nonely's workbook that describes...

Help with "locked" cursor
Hi, I'm having problems with my Excel 2003. Whenever I click on the spreadsheet, the cursor gets "locked" and I am unable to type anything. For example, I'll click on a cell and I can't unclick it...the cursor is locked and just highlights everything when I move it around. If anyone has any tips on this for me and my technologically disabled mind, they would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! -- CarlyRobyn ------------------------------------------------------------------------ CarlyRobyn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2...

Exchange 5.5 #10
I followed the article suggested and identified the last committed log. When I go to the transaction log folder, however, there are no back logs to move. The only logs in the folder are edb.log, edb0264D.log (last known committed log), res1.log and res2.log. The article says not to move the edb.log, res1.log or res2.log, just move any logs older than the last one committed, but there aren't any. Any more suggestions? Thanks! ...

Formula Help 02-02-10
How do I enter a formula to look at a number and based on calculation round up or down to nearest hundreth? For example 421 would round down to 400 while 573 would round up to 600. try =round(a1,-2) where A1 has the number you want to round to the 100's "Jackie Morin" wrote: > How do I enter a formula to look at a number and based on calculation round > up or down to nearest hundreth? For example 421 would round down to 400 while > 573 would round up to 600. You could look up ROUND in Excel help. Try =ROUND(A2,-2) -- David Biddulph Jackie Morin wr...

Previous Record
How do I access a field from the previous record in a form To programmatically read the value from the previous record, regardless of how the form is sorted or filtered, use the RecordsetClone of the form. This kind of thing: Function GetPreviousValue(frm As Form, strField As String) As Variant On Error GoTo Err_Handler 'Purpose: Return the value from the previous row of the form. 'Keywords: PriorRow PreviousValue Dim rs As DAO.Recordset Set rs = frm.RecordsetClone rs.Bookmark = frm.Bookmark rs.MovePrevious GetPreviousValue = rs(strField) Set rs...

Merge records function
Is it possible to reuse the record merge function in CRM. Fx to call the function with a valid Account GUID with a URL-call to mergerecords ? I want this to open the merge windows with the GUID as the master record. ...

substraction of sequential records
I need to calculate moving ranges in either a report or query. Currently my query returns TestTime (ascending) and TestResult. The moving range is the absolute difference between two consecutive samples. TestTime TestResult MovingRange 8am 20 -- 9am 24 4 10am 21 3 11am 26 5 Once all the moving ranges are calculated, I need to report the average of the moving ranges. ...

excel sorting 03-28-10
I have a text spreadsheet of 5,000 names and addresses. Column B needs to restricted to only 16 characters in that column. How do I send the records to the bottom of the page (or delete them) that have data that exceeds 16 characters in Column B? You could insert a new column. In that column, in row 2 put the formula =len(B2) and copy it down the column. Then sort the table on then new column ascending. Tom ...

Field with running count of records
Hi, I have a query with fields such as date, Item Number and Quantity. I want to create an additional field called Count that will act like an autonumber. It will assign a value of 1 for the first record, 2 for the second number etc. Can someone tell me how to do this? Thanks, -- Chuck W There are tons of posts on how to create a "ranking" query. You must have a field or fields that uniquely identify the sort order. If you provided significant table and field names as well as your desired sort order, someone could create the SQL for you if you can't search for and fi...

SendObject 02-03-08
I have a routine that creates a list of e-mails to be sent out, when the list is completed it then loops through and uses the Docmd.sendObject to send each mail (Access 2000). This used to work very well and I have not had any problem with it until about 3 months ago when it started to send the first mail all ok, out look would ask if it was ok to send and you said yes and it was sent and so on, but now it sends the first mail all ok and then it just loops through the rest with no outlook messages or error messages but dos not send any of the other mails. This used to work very well abo...

Advance filter not filtering unique records only
Hi, I have a user who has four large lists, he wants to combine them into two master lists; but hide or delete duplicates. I showed him how to use Advance Filter and he said it worked perfectly for combination; but the second worksheet did not filter only unique records. He assured me he followed the directions and click "Unique Records" in the Advance filter dialog box; but it didn't work. Can you guys give me a few more avenues he can pursue: (I suggested misspelled entries, and double-checking his work.) Thanks Kim I agree with you. My bet is that there is a typo or even ...

-1026 JET_errRecordTooBig, Record larger than maximum size
I administer a single Windows 2003 domain, Native Mode only W3k servers and use Exchange 2003. I am seeing this error in all DC Directory Service Event Logs. Event Type: Error Event Source: NTDS SDPROP Event Category: Internal Processing Event ID: 2008 Date: 28/07/2004 Time: 6:38:04 PM User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON Computer: TLSAD1 Description: Internal error: The security descriptor propagation task encountered an error while processing the following object. The propagation of security descriptors may not be possible until the problem is corrected. Object: CN=internal 29176...

permissions 03-29-06
I have a Marketing Professional who needs the ability to convert Leads - what circle / state do I need to fill out in the Security role? To Disqualify a lead -------------------- 1. Read Lead 2. Write Lead To Qualify a lead to an opportunity ---------------------------------- 1. Read Lead 2. Read account 3. Read contact 4. Read opportunity 5. Create opportunity 6. Write Lead 7. AppendTo lead 8. AppendTo account 9. AppendTo contact 10. Append opportunity To Qualify a lead to an account ------------------------------ 1. Read Lead 2. Read account 3. Write Lead 4. AppendTo lead 5. Append Acco...

ploting one cell from 10 worksheets into one chart
i am trying to figure out a way to plot one cell, lets say c-1 from 10 -30 worksheets, in one workbook; on one chart. Each worksheet is a date and each c-1 value is just a number. any help would help thanks alex n. alex.nazarchuK@unitedwater.com ------------------------------------------------ Message posted from the Excel Tip Forum at http://www.ExcelTip.com/forum/ -- View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelTip.com -- Hundreds of free MS Excel tips, tricks and solutions ------------------------------------------------ You can plot each data point as a separate ser...

Macro to delete rows 03-17-10
I'd appreciate some help in creating a macro to delete rows. Here's what I need: 1) Delete rows 1-13 2) Then find all rows that are highlited blue and delete them 3) Then find all rows that include the text "Distr" and delete them Suggestions? Thanks in advance. Tell us how the rows came to be blue... -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "JeffF" <JeffF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:863D165C-D100-42E5-9294-3569F1829DF0@microsoft.com... > I'd appreciate some help in creating a...

Default Public View has records but columns are blank
A custom entity has a default list view but the entries in the list do not show any values. There are a number of lines in the list with an icon only. If I try to delete one the message says select an entry before attempting operation. I cannot select the lijne either. Have created many views before and never seen this. Other views are ok? Hi Steve, Try publishing the entity and see if this resolves the problem. HTH, Niths "Steve" wrote: > A custom entity has a default list view but the entries in the list do not > show any values. There are a number of lines in the...

file is locked does not appear in Excel if file already open by an
We have shared files on a network drive. When a file is open by one user, and a second user opens the file we want them to recieve <filename> is locked for editing message and open the file read only. This works great for some users, but we have several users that can open the file (even if someone is already in it) and they do not get the prompt and can edit the workbook. Is there a setting that would turn this off for some users and not others in excel? Hello Leslie, You could try sharing the workbook. With the Excel workbook open, choose Tools from the menu. Choose Share W...

Stats microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (last 7 days) 06-07-10
"Caveat: Quantity is not necessarily a measure of Quality" Newsgroup.................: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general Stats Were Taken..........: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 08:14:28 GMT Stats Begin...............: Mon, 31 May 2010 08:29:11 GMT Stats End.................: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 06:42:42 GMT Days......................: 7 Total No. of Articles.....: 526 Total No. of Characters...: 1263268 Total Volume..............: 1233 Messages Per Day..........: 75.1 Characters Per Day........: 180466.9 Average Daily Volume......: 176 kB Total Posters This Week...:...