question on tables and queries

I've imported 2 tables from excel and ran a query against those two tables to
determined the difference.

This is something I would like to do each month.  I would like to keep the
same settings in my database, is there a way I can easily import/update the
data in the new table without creating a new one each month?

The query would stay the same as I'm comparing the same two files, but the
the data will be changing every month.  I don't know much about access and
would like to know if there is an easier way of doing this besides creating a
new table and query each month?

I'm working with excel files and using Access 2003.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

If the field names in the 2 tables will remain the same each month (or if
they can be manipulated to be the same before you import), then create 2
delete queries (one for each table) to empty this month's data. This gives
you 2 "shell" tables to import into next month (rather than create new
tables, import into the shells). Since your existing query already refers to
those 2 tables, all you need to do is run the query once you've done the
import.

Monthly Steps:
-Delete last months data from Access tables (but not the tables themselves)
-(Optional) Manipulate Excel columns to match FieldNames expected by Access
-Import Excel data into existing Access tables
-Run query

If you need to retain the data you have imported, rather than compare &
discard, it becomes more complicated, but I'm sure the process can still be
simplified depending on what needs to be kept, etc.

--
HTH,
George

"pete0085" <pete0085@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've imported 2 tables from excel and ran a query against those two tables
> determined the difference.
>
> This is something I would like to do each month.  I would like to keep the
> same settings in my database, is there a way I can easily import/update
> the
> data in the new table without creating a new one each month?
>
> The query would stay the same as I'm comparing the same two files, but the
> the data will be changing every month.  I don't know much about access and
> would like to know if there is an easier way of doing this besides
> creating a
> new table and query each month?
>
> I'm working with excel files and using Access 2003.

0
George
1/4/2008 4:07:45 PM
The fields will always be the same, just the numbers/data will change.

I tried to delete the data in the tables and did an import and choose the
option to use an existing table.

I added a couple records and re-ran the query by double clicking on it, but
the results were the same as before.  Is there something different I need to
do to re-run the query?

"George Nicholson" wrote:

> If the field names in the 2 tables will remain the same each month (or if
> they can be manipulated to be the same before you import), then create 2
> delete queries (one for each table) to empty this month's data. This gives
> you 2 "shell" tables to import into next month (rather than create new
> tables, import into the shells). Since your existing query already refers to
> those 2 tables, all you need to do is run the query once you've done the
> import.
>
> Monthly Steps:
> -Delete last months data from Access tables (but not the tables themselves)
> -(Optional) Manipulate Excel columns to match FieldNames expected by Access
> -Import Excel data into existing Access tables
> -Run query
>
> If you need to retain the data you have imported, rather than compare &
> discard, it becomes more complicated, but I'm sure the process can still be
> simplified depending on what needs to be kept, etc.
>
> --
> HTH,
> George
>

> "pete0085" <pete0085@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've imported 2 tables from excel and ran a query against those two tables
> > determined the difference.
> >
> > This is something I would like to do each month.  I would like to keep the
> > same settings in my database, is there a way I can easily import/update
> > the
> > data in the new table without creating a new one each month?
> >
> > The query would stay the same as I'm comparing the same two files, but the
> > the data will be changing every month.  I don't know much about access and
> > would like to know if there is an easier way of doing this besides
> > creating a
> > new table and query each month?
> >
> > I'm working with excel files and using Access 2003.

To clarify my question.  I have two tables I compare.  If I change data in
one table the difference shows up, however, if I change data in the second
data, it doesn't display the difference.

Would I need to run 2 different queries to accomplish this?

"pete0085" wrote:

> The fields will always be the same, just the numbers/data will change.
>
> I tried to delete the data in the tables and did an import and choose the
> option to use an existing table.
>
> I added a couple records and re-ran the query by double clicking on it, but
> the results were the same as before.  Is there something different I need to
> do to re-run the query?
>
> "George Nicholson" wrote:
>
> > If the field names in the 2 tables will remain the same each month (or if
> > they can be manipulated to be the same before you import), then create 2
> > delete queries (one for each table) to empty this month's data. This gives
> > you 2 "shell" tables to import into next month (rather than create new
> > tables, import into the shells). Since your existing query already refers to
> > those 2 tables, all you need to do is run the query once you've done the
> > import.
> >
> > Monthly Steps:
> > -Delete last months data from Access tables (but not the tables themselves)
> > -(Optional) Manipulate Excel columns to match FieldNames expected by Access
> > -Import Excel data into existing Access tables
> > -Run query
> >
> > If you need to retain the data you have imported, rather than compare &
> > discard, it becomes more complicated, but I'm sure the process can still be
> > simplified depending on what needs to be kept, etc.
> >
> > --
> > HTH,
> > George
> >

> > "pete0085" <pete0085@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I've imported 2 tables from excel and ran a query against those two tables
> > > determined the difference.
> > >
> > > This is something I would like to do each month.  I would like to keep the
> > > same settings in my database, is there a way I can easily import/update
> > > the
> > > data in the new table without creating a new one each month?
> > >
> > > The query would stay the same as I'm comparing the same two files, but the
> > > the data will be changing every month.  I don't know much about access and
> > > would like to know if there is an easier way of doing this besides
> > > creating a
> > > new table and query each month?
> > >
> > > I'm working with excel files and using Access 2003.

> Would I need to run 2 different queries to accomplish this?
If by "differences" you mean "records in one table but not the other", then
yes, you would need 2 queries.
However, you could then create a 3rd UNION query that combines the results
of the 1st 2 queries so that all differences appear together. (If you go
that route, consider adding a "NonMatch" field to your queries that state
"In A but not B" and "In B but not A" to preserve your sanity.)

 If "differences" means records in both tables with the same unique or
primary key but have different data in some other field(s), then you should
be able to do that in one query.

--

> To clarify my question.  I have two tables I compare.  If I change data in
> one table the difference shows up, however, if I change data in the second
> data, it doesn't display the difference.
>
> Would I need to run 2 different queries to accomplish this?
>
> "pete0085" wrote:
>
>> The fields will always be the same, just the numbers/data will change.
>>
>> I tried to delete the data in the tables and did an import and choose the
>> option to use an existing table.
>>
>> I added a couple records and re-ran the query by double clicking on it,
>> but
>> the results were the same as before.  Is there something different I need
>> do to re-run the query?
>>
>> "George Nicholson" wrote:
>>
>> > If the field names in the 2 tables will remain the same each month (or
>> > if
>> > they can be manipulated to be the same before you import), then create
>> > 2
>> > delete queries (one for each table) to empty this month's data. This
>> > gives
>> > you 2 "shell" tables to import into next month (rather than create new
>> > tables, import into the shells). Since your existing query already
>> > refers to
>> > those 2 tables, all you need to do is run the query once you've done
>> > the
>> > import.
>> >
>> > Monthly Steps:
>> > -Delete last months data from Access tables (but not the tables
>> > themselves)
>> > -(Optional) Manipulate Excel columns to match FieldNames expected by
>> > Access
>> > -Import Excel data into existing Access tables
>> > -Run query
>> >
>> > If you need to retain the data you have imported, rather than compare &
>> > discard, it becomes more complicated, but I'm sure the process can
>> > still be
>> > simplified depending on what needs to be kept, etc.
>> >
>> > --
>> > HTH,
>> > George
>> >

>> > "pete0085" <pete0085@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
George
1/4/2008 6:11:50 PM
How would I create this 3rd query?

"George Nicholson" wrote:

> > Would I need to run 2 different queries to accomplish this?
> If by "differences" you mean "records in one table but not the other", then
> yes, you would need 2 queries.
> However, you could then create a 3rd UNION query that combines the results
> of the 1st 2 queries so that all differences appear together. (If you go
> that route, consider adding a "NonMatch" field to your queries that state
> "In A but not B" and "In B but not A" to preserve your sanity.)
>
>  If "differences" means records in both tables with the same unique or
> primary key but have different data in some other field(s), then you should
> be able to do that in one query.
>
> --
> HTH,
> George
>

> "pete0085" <pete0085@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > To clarify my question.  I have two tables I compare.  If I change data in
> > one table the difference shows up, however, if I change data in the second
> > data, it doesn't display the difference.
> >
> > Would I need to run 2 different queries to accomplish this?
> >
> > "pete0085" wrote:
> >
> >> The fields will always be the same, just the numbers/data will change.
> >>
> >> I tried to delete the data in the tables and did an import and choose the
> >> option to use an existing table.
> >>
> >> I added a couple records and re-ran the query by double clicking on it,
> >> but
> >> the results were the same as before.  Is there something different I need
> >> do to re-run the query?

Build Dynamic Query from Form
I am trying to build a dynamic Query from a Form. I keep getting an error that reads ‘Object qryFilter already exists’ I suspect it has something to do with the string of dates being passed to the Query; strDateCondition = "([Trades].[TDATE] Between [Forms]![SearchForm]![cboFrom] And [Forms]![SearchForm]![cboTo])" I am trying to add a means for a user to Query by Customer and Trader AND all records between two dates. This was working fine for Customer and Trader; when I added in the code to filter by dates I started having problems. I know the SQL will be li...

Exchange 2003 Question #3
Dear all, I have upgraded from Exchange 5.5 and notice that I miss the feature where I can clean/delete mail based on certain criteria from users mailbox via the System Manager. Is this feature still available in Exchange 2003, If so, where is it? Thanks. Regards, Kueh. You can use ExMerge to remove emails based on certain criteria (ie. attachment name, subject, etc). http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF013.html "KA Kueh" wrote: > Dear all, > > I have upgraded from Exchange 5.5 and notice that I miss the feature where I > can clean/delete mail based on ...

Question On Fields
What is the (Microsoft desciption)difference between the SIC field and the Industry Code field? To me they seem like a duplication. Thanks! Shauna Hi, According to the Deployment Manager descriptions of attributes: SIC - Standard Industrial Classification code for the Account industrycode - the type of industry with which the account is associated... Hope this helps! "Shauna Koppang" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:034101c48af4$62524a70$a401280a@phx.gbl... > What is the (Microsoft desciption)difference between the > SIC field and the...

newbie question
Excel help says it should be a tab under tools, but I can't see it in my version. I would appreciate any help. Thanks. You must first load the Solver Add-in through Tools>Add-ins. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 07:46:34 -0700, analyst41@hotmail.com wrote: >Excel help says it should be a tab under tools, but I can't see it in >my version. > >I would appreciate any help. > >Thanks. On Nov 3, 10:56 am, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote: > You must first load the Solver Add-in through Tools>Add-ins. > > Gord Dibben MS E...

REQ: Can Someone Help Me With This Outlook XP Question?
Hello All: I use Word to edit my e-mail msgs in Outlook XP. I had to reinstall Office the other day and now whenever I want to start a new e-mail or reply to an e-mail I get a warning that comes up: "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected it may be a virus and you should choose 'No'" There is a box that asks for the amount of time to allow the access: 1 to 10 minutes. Do I have to have specific settings for my Outlook address book? I use the Contact area in Outlook for addresses. I have ...

Formula Question #18
I have built a workbook in which I have inserted a formula to tell me whether the contents of a supply bin needs replenishment or not. The formula I used is: =IF(E3>F3,"REPLENISH!","No Action"). Each morning, I run a report to see what parts have been used, which becomes a new sheet in the workbook. Now, I want to add a formula that, whenever it sees "REPLENISH!," it will back through the workbook to count whether that same part needed replenishment on consecutive previous days. If it has, then the latest worksheet will report the number of days that ...

I have a data table that looks like this: Code ------------------- STR-S SNK-S STR-K STR-F SNK-S STR-3 STR-2 STR-F SNK-S SNK-4 SNK-S STR-3 SNK-F STR-4 STR-O ------------------- "STR", etc at the beginning are pitch types, SNK is Sinker for example The end character is the result of the pitch, a 4 would be a home run, 3 a triple, and so forth. O is out, F is foul, S is strike --- you ge it. How can I figure the amount of RBI's? I know that it's 5, but I can' think of any automated way to calculate this, anyone got any ideas? THANK YOU!! :confused -- AVER...

Form for table
Here's the problem: Access 2003, XP Pro- I have three tables that are related by primary keys. I have a table[Table QC] that has the field [EmployeeID], the data type is number--that field is linked to the autonumber primary key of the Employees Table. So far so good. I am trying to make a form that has a combo box that looks to the Employee Table to get me the drop down of the employees (Last Name, First Name). The SQL statement builds out okay, and I get the correct name config., but because the data type is a number it won't accept the data. I looked at the Northwind example and i...

Pivot Table formatting #6
When I format my pivot tables I have "preserve formatting" checked under "PivotTable Options", and "Autoformat Table" unchecked. Even so, I either lose portions of my formatting, or different formatting is applied when I refresh. Does anyone know what I am doing incorrectly or have any other suggestions? Thanks, Phil Other things to try -- if they don't work, you could record a macro as you refresh and reformat the pivot table. Then, run that when you want to update. --Instead of selecting the cells to format the numbers, right-click the field but...

Count unique values
Hi, I've some problems to count unique items (Invoice #) in a pivot table. There is the default solution "Add-a-new-calculated-column" as mentioned on http://contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Unique, but in my case, it doesn't works. My problem is, that these values aren't in a Excel worksheet; it's a external data source - a SQL-Select via DAO/ADO. Because of that, I don't have the possibility to add a new column. Another reason is, that the pivot table should always be dynamic: Group over this field, group over another field - and always show the number of unique...

question about using the correct schema namespace
I have a Access/VBA client that exports xml to the local drive, then posts it over http to an aspx page. The aspx page consumes it, then builds itself based on the xml data. This works find only if I first mannually change the root entry's namespace url as shown below. Does anyone know how I can get the two (cleint xml export and aspx xml consume) to work together with the appropriate namespace? Here is the top three lines of my xml export (prior to mannually changing it): <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <root xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/200...

AD/Network design question
Hello all I have a 2 sites which users come and go from. These sites have 2 different network ip domains (192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x). Users need to be authenticated using the same user id and password at both sites. DC/GC is at 192.168.1.x and is a SBS 2003. Server at 192.168.2.x is Server 2003. When the server at 192.168.2.x is connected via vpn to 192.168.1.x all is well. How do I get the server at 192.168.2.x to act as a AD/DC when it’s not connected to 192.168.1.x ? Thank you Hal I think you will run here into the limitations of SBS :-( @ SBS experts : ...

From temporary table to master table and then join this in junction table
Hello, I have imported two spreadsheets from excel to two temporary tables called "import_tbl_contract" and "import_tbl_products". I do this on daily basis and import many spreadsheets. I end up with these data: [import_tbl_contract] contract_number contract_title start_date end_date [import_tbl_products] product_number product_text price I now append these data to the following two tables: [tbl_contract] contract_id (PK) contract_title start_date end_date e.g. 1; Syringes and needles; 01-01-2010; 31-12-2010 [tbl_products] product_id ...

Mail merge & staple question
Does anyone know how to use mail merge in Publisher with a printer that folds and staples?? Publisher is sending it to the printer as "one" big file and trying to staples "all" my newsletters together instead of individual ones with the addresses on them. Or if anyone has any other programs or ideas on how I can accomplish this task, sure would be appreciated. Thanks While waiting for decisions from his 6 university choices, Ed sees a message from Parishsecretary <Parishsecretary@discussions.microsoft.com>. On it is written: > Does anyone know how to use mai...

please help with this query

Office 2010 Buying Question Assistance Needed
I've been looking through the MS Office 2010 web site to try to determine what my new small company would require, but I can't find the information I need. We for sure would need Office Pro Plus, but other than that I'm not sure. We want to run it on our own server. We will initially have 3-5 people using it and perhaps more later on. Would we need to purchase site licensing? Unfortunately, our programmers are MS haters (I'm not) and I can't get any assistance from them on this, but I have power of the pen. I would appreciate any assistance I can get. Th...

Pivot tables in Excel
Yippee, I am so happy, I finally figured out how to trick excel into not showing the blank cell in a pivot table without limiting my data set! In the Pivot table layout move the field from row to page. Then double click on the field and click on the "blank" to hide it. Move the field back to row and hit finish. It seems like you always have to "trick" MS software to do what you want. ...

List Running Horizontally-Pivot Table Possible?
I just had a customer ask this one and I'm not so sure about it. 1) The customer has setup a list of information that is running horizontally instead of the typical list running vertically. 2) I just taught him how to do pivot tables and he wants to generate a pivot table with his "horizontal" list. 3) I know he can copy and paste special and use the Transpose feature to change the list from horizontally oriented to vertically oriented. 4) the question is: can he leave the table in its original orientation and still generate Pivot tables? I can't seem to make it work ...

Can I set my custom views on Pivot table
I want to get Pivot table data on my invoice, is it possible to set custom views so that I can get Pivot table results on invoice format, I've tried views that offer excel but it doesn't offer custom views please help Thanks ...

Question About Missing Data
So, this is probably really easy, but I just want to ask and see if I may be missing something here. Some data on vendor numbers changed. Let’s say IBM used to have a vendor number 12345 and now it’s vendor number is 56789. I can identify IBM as IBM, but I really want to use the number, not the name. Should I set up a table that ties the numbers together, so that Access knows 12345 = 56789? Or, should I do some kind of Update Query and change all incidences of 12345 to be 56789? Or, is there some other, method, like a ‘best practices for missing data’? Thanks! Ryan--- ...

Custom CRect Question
I have a custom rectangle class that inherits from CRect: class CCustomRect : public CRect { private: CPoint m_maxPt; COLORREF m_color; TCHAR text[50]; public: CCustomRect(RECT* source, CPoint pt, COLORREF rgb); RECT* RectBase(); void Update(RECT* r); } Inheritance has worked well until I found myself needing to create the RectBase function (above) to return the rectangle dimensions. CRect does not seem to have any methods that can be called to return the base class's RECT value. I could take CRect::Size and construct a rectangle to return, but this seems a bit much. My...

Excel link update question
I need to maintain an excel workbook which contains a lot of links to other workbooks. Since the linked workbooks change every week, I need to change all the links accordingly. For example, a cell with formula "='[aug_28.xls]sheet1' !A10" will be changed into "='[sep_4.xls]sheet1'!A10". I tried to do this with Find/Replace. However, the link is updated every time it is changed. The link updating takes a couple of seconds. So it may take a hour to finsh it for a workbook with thousands of links. Could anyone tell me how to shut down the link updating when...

Update Query
Access 2003 XP SP2 I am having a problem with an update query. Table is in a one-to-one relationship, referentail integrity and cascading data are checked. (The fileds I want to update are not in both tables) Table name= payForward Has 15 fields ie: ID, Name, MemID, Oct , Nov, Dec, etc Oct-Sep fields are yes/no type I want to "select" a field (Oct-Sep) via a query parameter and repalce "yes" with "no". Here is my query: UPDATE payForward SET [Enter month]=No The messages I get is 'operation must use an updateable query' Wh...

Crosstab Query 04-06-07
I have a crosstab query that shows the products i sale with the number i have sold for each day. instead of showing the sales for each day i would like to show sales dor each months. How do i show it my month Thanks In query design view, enter this into a fresh column in the Field row: TheYear: Year([SaleDate]) Replace SaleDate with your actual field name. In the next column: TheMonth: Month([SaleDate]) You can now group on these fields instead of on each date. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html ...

Pivot table and organizing data
This one is really making me scratch my head. Here is the story. I have a list of information which I am pulling in via a query from SQL. Data is good and it correctly comes into Excel (03 or 07). I have five columns with data: Date, Time, AccountID , Status. First two are self-explanatory; third is a 3-letter ID, forth is a status (pass/fail). Ok, now that you have an idea, here is what I need: 1. List the account IDs as a column 2. List the dates as rows 3. Place the alert into the location that corresponds to the appropriate data and account I know this 'sounds' like a strai...